Twelve

Heartwarming Photographs
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

        Jeongyeon sits idly by the counter. She just opened up, and there were no visitors to attend to. The place was quiet, so she decided to play some soft music while waiting.

        Right from the speakers plays Jeongyeon's favorite track, 'Let's drink' sung by the alias 'Giriboy'. The time was 8:36 AM, Jeongyeon could hardly believe customers have not yet arrived for their morning coffee. Usually, students would come, letting the cafe play the role of serving breakfast before heading to school. Jeongyeon would typically interact, asking how they've been and how well they are doing. The students would gleefully answer back, including a narration of their daily lives in which Jeongyeon would contentedly listen to.

        Jeongyeon's peaceful reminiscence was obstructed when a loud ringing caught her ears. Jeongyeon stands up as she handles the first customer for the day. Apparently, her attention was out of place, not apprehending the certain presence of the customer.

        She enters the counter, retrieving the signature notepad from beneath. The moment she lifts her torso, her eyes widened only to be greeted by the female she half despised and half admired sitting in front of her with the counter occupying the space between.

        "Good morning, miss Yoo," she hails with a smile.

        "Good morning, miss Im."

        Nayeon leans a little closer, her face now a few inches away from Jeongyeon's. She could feel Jeongyeon's nervous breath, and Nayeon could only smirk at how entertaining the latter looks. "I told you to call me Nayeon, didn't I?" she teased.

        Jeongyeon didn't move a muscle; her pupils fully directed towards Nayeon's playful eyes. She wanted to step back, but Nayeon's mischievous personality ceased her from doing so. Nayeon might accuse Jeongyeon of such a subtle act, and Jeongyeon felt weak to defend herself. She partly opened her lips, "G-Good morning, N-Nayeon..." Jeongyeon cursed herself within for faltering.

        Jeongyeon's words resonated as a whisper. Nayeon thought that she was doing it on purpose, but soon she found out that it was just another one of Jeongyeon's timid replies. Nayeon inhaled Jeongyeon's scent, the same scent that surrounded the cafe. The scent that Nayeon grew fond of.

        "That's better." Nayeon released Jeongyeon from her charming stare, soon rotating her head to observe the environment. "This is my first time to come this early. My first time to become the first customer to enter for the day, too. I feel honored." She crossed her arms over the counter as she persistently tapped on the wood.

        Jeongyeon hummed. She was still startled by Nayeon's movements, forcing herself to stay motionless and watch Nayeon wonder. She inhaled deeply, exhaling soon after. Nayeon shifted her gaze to Jeongyeon while singing along to the lyrics of the song being played in the background. Jeongyeon asks, "Are you ordering the usual?" while keeping the notepad inside her apron's pocket.

        Nayeon nods.

        There was a brewing machine available at the other side of the counter. Nayeon watches Jeongyeon as she single-handedly prepares her day-to-day joe. This was the first time Nayeon gets to watch Jeongyeon work close-up, and it was fascinating. The way Jeongyeon's detailed hand reaches for the lever to pour the brewed espresso, while the other hand makes its way to retrieve another ingredient.

        She has been keeping this thought ever since she discovered the cafe, but Jeongyeon looks deadly attractive in Nayeon's sight. Nayeon would always interrogate herself to why she thinks of Jeongyeon that way, but she does.

        Jeongyeon's teal, short hair perfectly compliments her head shape. Her jawline looks defined, too. Her figure would instantly steal everyone's gaze. I'm absolutely sure a lot of guys tried their best to date this girl. What a shame that she just works here.

        Jeongyeon approached Nayeon with a tray comprising her all-time favorite, mint chocolate espresso. Back then, Nayeon rejected the taste of mint chocolate. It was simply because it didn't fit her taste. Up until her tongue met Jeongyeon's brew, she fell in love with it immediately. She would prefer Jeongyeon's methods over any kind of typical brew.

        "God, I really need to savor this."

        Jeongyeon could see how enlightened Nayeon looks while taking a sip from the cup. Just from the sight, Jeongyeon feels satisfied to know a customer enjoys her brew. She tries very hard to keep things perfect, and nothing can reward her more than seeing a customer contented with her work.

        Nayeon noticed how Jeongyeon just stood there and locked her gaze, so she asked, "Hey, what kind of coffee do you like?"

        "I usually prefer coffee with milk. Why did you ask?"

        Nayeon pulled out a wallet from her purse, "I'd like to order one. Give me a ham and egg sandwich, too," she commanded. Jeongyeon had no clue why Nayeon ordered another cup. Most importantly, she ordered a flavor she has never asked for before. Jeongyeon was curious, but she didn't ask why. The moment Nayeon asked her to do so, she simply obeyed.

        Later on, Jeongyeon arrived with another tray including Nayeon's unexpected requests. "Here you go," she announced. Nayeon ignored Jeongyeon and laid her eyes on the beverage and the sandwich. She took a sip of her own, before calling out for Jeongyeon who was about to walk away, "Get back here." Since the two were the only ones who occupied the area, Nayeon did not feel the need to raise her voice. Jeongyeon stopped from her tracks, "Me?" she pointed. Nayeon groaned, "Who else would it be?"

        Jeongyeon strolled back, putting aside the trays beneath the counter. Nayeon pulled back her arms, waiting for Jeongyeon to finish. "Why? Is there something wrong with the brew?" Jeongyeon worriedly inquired. Nayeon swayed her head and continued, "You drink this coffee while you eat this sandwich."

        "W-what?"

        "Have you taken breakfast yet?"

        Jeongyeon shakes her head, "No."

        "Then sit here and have breakfast with me."

        Jeongyeon's mouth opened, but no word escaped her lips. Once again, Nayeon was attacking her with unanticipated words that meant confusion to Jeongyeon's mindset. Jeongyeon had a lot of questions in mind, but one question will take responsibility for the situation, "What do you mean?"

        Although it was a ridiculous question to ask, it was the only question that can represent the curi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter