Eighteen

Heartwarming Photographs
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

     Dahyun stacked her notebooks and textbooks beside each other. Pens were kept inside a pencil case while papers were slid inside the plastic pages of a clear book. The remaining essentials are made sure that they are neatly organized inside the bag. It may not seem like it, but Dahyun is a tidy kid thanks to Jeongyeon's neverending reminders of organizing her things back in high school.

     Unfortunately, she only had 10 minutes to actually study. An unplanned meeting was brought up the moment Sana informed her about the eviction. 7 days were up and running left for Sana to apprehend the situation, so Dahyun decides to bring her company tonight for this terrible event. Company is probably the only thing Dahyun can give for now, but she starts to think of a way to fix the situation for Sana, too.

     She grabs her coat from the coat rack and heads downstairs. The attention of  a surely recognizable housemate resting on the couch playing with her phone was stolen with the loud stomps coming from Dahyun's feet.

     "Looks like you're going somewhere. Where are you going? It's late," Chaeyoung asks and sits up.

     Dahyun quickly answers, "Sana's." and proceeds to the bathroom to retrieve a comb and fix her appearance.

     Chaeyoung puffs her cheeks as she watches Dahyun darting in and out of the bathroom. She was about to ask the reason why but the latter couldn't even spare a second to stop her feet from moving too much.

     Minutes later, Dahyun returns with her hair tied up along with her shoes and gestures Chaeyoung to move aside so she can sit. Chaeyoung eyed her confusingly, also finally having the chance to ask again, "Why are you heading to Sana-ssi's? Did something happen? I mean, it's late so..."

     "She called me earlier and told me she's getting evicted in seven days," Dahyun explains while she bent down to tie her shoelaces. "She can't keep calm so I'm heading over."

     Chaeyoung stood up filled with incredulity and bewilderment. "What? She's getting evicted? How could that happen?"

     "I don't know. She was trying to hold still while speaking. I told her to drop the call so she would relax."

     "Then I'll go too. I feel terribly bad about this."

     "You stay here and sleep. We have classes tomorrow and we both can't risk waking up late. I left some sausages for you on the table so you should eat. I'll return soon, you hear?" Dahyun insists. She wears her coat and adjusts her pants before checking her phone battery. She mumbles, "Good thing I charged it."

     The younger scratches her nape, humming to Dahyun's words. She pouts, realizing the loss of option to debate. "Okay, I'll stay." A deep sigh was released before she continues, "Oh and by the way, Mina-unnie fed me back at her place. I'm full, so I can't eat the sausages. Why not bring it along? Pack it for Sana-ssi, at least," Chaeyoung suggests.

     Dahyun contemplates over the suggestion. It does sound like a good idea, at least she'll have some souvenir to give other than the unexpected company. The only thing is that it wasn't freshly cooked. If she was informed of Chaeyoung's free dinner sooner, she would have eaten those savory sausages and fry another set just for Sana.

     "Should I? It's not newly cooked."

     Chaeyoung groans, "We don't have a dog to feed those sausages to, unnie. Don't waste the food. Go pack some rice along if you want. You know, pocket 
food."

     "Fine. I doubt that she'll be eating the meal, though."

     Later that night, Dahyun left with a small paper bag comprising the food packed properly thanks to Chaeyoung. Of course, not forgetting the danger lurking around this late at night, Chaeyoung informed Dahyun regarding which path to take and which path to not take based from experiences. She apologized for leaving the motorbike back at the café, but it was necessary or else Jeongyeon would reprimand her for using the vehicle for non-urgent situations (Although, Mina's safety is considered urgent and sort of self-explanatory so that's exempted).

     Similar to what the others are experiencing, the unending shivers due to the cold breeze let Dahyun embrace herself for the umpteenth time. She didn't expect the temperature to be this low, considering the temperature this past few days were undeniably average and enough to keep her going. Not too warm nor not too cold, either.

     The everyday strolls from the apartment to the campus became a routine that she memorized in order to lead herself into a different direction. Like a spawn point, you see. The campus is only a few blocks away from their apartment, so it'll be easier to recognize the path directing to the Minatozaki residence.

      Sana doesn't even know I'm coming. She would probably be asleep right now.

     The lit homes gathered in the neighborhood gave Dahyun assistance in leading the way. Assuming that some citizens don't really consider the curfew of 10 PM, Dahyun could hear the deafening tantrums of the 63-year-old man from time to time late at night as the effect of the neighbor's cat ruining his lawn. It was irritating, to say the least. But the old man can't be blamed either.

     About 15-20 minutes of staggering, Dahyun arrived in front of the highly recognizable campus. The lights were no longer evident except the third window from the left at the second floor. The black coupé parked on the other side caught her attention too.

     "That car looks so expensive. Do I even have a professor that rich?" she mumbles. The quality of the vehicle was, in fact, outstanding and compliments the dark color gorgeously. The minimalism receives additional positive points for that.

     Subsequently, she brushed off the thought and continued her pace. With just a couple of turns, the designated destination will be clearly visible. Thank goodness she wasn't ignorant enough to proceed North and aimlessly guide herself to the garden she grew truthfully fond of.

     Her feet landed on the doorway she once stood with the role of a delivery girl getting mocked by its own customer (She still despised Sana because of it). It's only been weeks since she met Sana, but she sensed the sincere relationship with the girl that felt like a month of Sundays.

     She breathes in then breathes out, hesitating whether to knock or escape while she has the chance to. The thought of a drowsy Sana opening the door after countless of knocks restrained her from raising her fist to the door. She had to think twice before everything and anything— the need to anticipate over opportunities reduces the self-esteem Dahyun is willing to share.

     Until she realized: she can't go back. As if the past used a counterattack, her legs are internally paralyzed. The world pushed her to visit, not to mention this was initially her plan without dropping Sana a notice.

     Kim Dahyun and Minatozaki Sana; the similarity of easily regretting the simple decisions to the point where perturbation takes the lead is a trait that stings in the last second of the literal decision taking place.

     Dahyun glanced at the paper bag. We don't have a dog.

     She shook her head, preparing herself.

     Knock, knock, knock.

     And now, she waits.

     But the knob is never turned.

     Knock, knock, knock.

     She waits, again.

     But the knob is never turned.

     Knock, knock—

     The knob is...turned. A miracle!

     The door opens slowly, revealing a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter