Thirteen

Heartwarming Photographs
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

     Dahyun sits on the lonely bench constructed on the peaceful garden. She ruffles her own hair as she struggles to find the answers to her homework due tomorrow. "Damn homework! We're in college already, why do you have to follow us until now?!" she loudly complains. Her upcoming exams are the reason for her stressful weeks, and Jeongyeon would attend to her pressured episodes with a cup of coffee whenever she visits the cafe to study there.

     Of course, not forgetting to partake in taking care of the garden, Sana would reject Dahyun's presence and scold her to study after finding out. Dahyun would surrender, but her stubbornness will take effect and the ridiculous idea of studying in the garden gets the best of her. As of right now, Sana is trying her best to pull Dahyun away from the bench, but her is absolutely glued to the well-carved wood. "Go home and study! You're not going to learn anything with this environment!" Sana exclaims while she pulls Dahyun's left arm. The latter pretends to read her textbook seriously, not paying attention to Sana and sticking her eyes on the words that can't even get inside Dahyun's mind. "I'm going to call Jeongyeon of you dare not to listen to me!" she threatens.

     Dahyun was finally provoked. She lifts her head in fear and shuts the book. She stands up, "Yah! Don't you ever call that girl! She's gonna drag me all the way home if you do! You don't want to see an old woman like her dragging an unconscious body of a young girl who still has hopes and dreams like me resulting in Chaeyoung posting it on social media for the whole world to know, right?! Those two always work together when it comes to me!"

     Sana rolls her eyes in frustration, "Kim Dahyun, do you even understand what you're saying? You sound childish." She slides Dahyun's scattered textbooks aside and sits down. It was only Dahyun's fifth day to help Sana. She did well in the past days but after Sana found out from Chaeyoung that she has exams coming up, she would push Dahyun away the moment she lays a foot on the green field.

     Dahyun sighed. Her meetings with Sana are nothing but redundant arguments. Sana is innocent; only Dahyun would host the conversation until she accidentally spits out how irrelevant the topic is and blaming the latter for objecting to her opinions.

     "Aish! I'm never going to pass the exams like this!" She shouts out of the blue. Dahyun slouched on the bench, placing the opened textbook above her face. She hypnotizes herself to fall asleep, but to her dismay, not a single word tricked her mind into shutting down.

     Soon, she gives in and fixed her posture. She closed the textbook and stacked it above the other textbooks positioned beside her. She leans to grab her phone from her pocket to check the time. "It's already 3:47? How long have I been whining here..." she ponders. Dahyun stands up to pick up the books and pack it inside her bag. She stretches out her arm to retrieve the bag containing her camera, but her fingers have nothing left to grasp.

     Dahyun lifts her head in worry. Her eyes widened, realizing her camera was nowhere to be found. She revolves around the bench, hoping to see the bag lying along the ground. Still, no sign of polyester can be seen. She checks beneath the bench, nothing. A little distant from the bench, walking along the path she used, nothing. Dahyun panics as she finds no sign of the certain bag she carries everywhere she goes. She returns to the bench to collect her belongings and decides to proceed to her previous discussion room.

     "I hope it's there. If not, I'm done for!"

     Dahyun hastily advances to the art room where the majority of decorations are posters of famous artists whose contributions have affected the perspective of the world towards art. Some abstract, some surrealism— typically occupying a canvas with a hint of paint. The one in charge is a famous artist himself. "Lee Hak-Young, the human brush," they say. It was a hysterical title. Not to mention, his works only promotes the importance of lines and curves that makes no sense yet sells in over six auctions.

     But that's not important, let's go back to the timid lady in which luckily, the room wasn't locked and there no beings to bring up excuses with. The coast was clear, giving a cue for Dahyun to sneak in and search for her beloved possession. Right in the corner of the room, there lies a polyester bag in which Dahyun happily hops forward to. "Thank God you're here," she whispers. She slides the strap to her left shoulder and exits the room silently.

     The corridors were empty and hollow. Dahyun was dismissed a little early today, 3 PM, exactly. She's pretty thankful just so she can spend some time to settle and study. But after a pile of assignments crashed, she lost track of the information and therefore will have to start the beginning of certain textbooks. Especially when chemistry is her utmost rival, everything went downhill the moment she lays her eyes on the sloppy solutions that she never understood.

     As she strolls her way down the halls, the young girl's eyes were shifted to an open door. The rest of the rooms were shut, but one particular room yells a big no as its door widely welcomes anyone who comes across it with the bright light illuminating the inside. Due to Dahyun's curiosity, she approaches the room and peeks from the side, praying that not a single eye will catch her.

     There she sees a female's back facing her while holding a phone. She must be in a call with somebody else. She wore casual clothes unlike the professors and staff, so Dahyun assumed she was a student. She leans to hear the conversation, ".....yea, sorry for calling late in the afternoon. I had business to attend to here in the university, so forgive me if I didn't stand by my word." She pauses to listen to the other line and resumes, "Why not come with me to..." The voice trailed off; Dahyun could feel that she walked away as she spoke.

     Not until a few seconds later, she could hear the voice loud and clear once again, "I'll see you, alright? You should head first. I'll be going so don't worry about me ditching you since this is my offer anyway."

     "Okay, see you later."

     The woman lowers the phone as Dahyun panics. She swings her head to look for a place to hide. Fortunately, there was a bin across the hall, and with just a sprint, she can successfully pretend that no word rammed inside her ears when she leaned to listen.

     But before she did, her curiosity trapped her again— Dahyun chose to wait and identify who the female is. The sound of the female's voice pulled her to wait, and Dahyun cursed herself for obeying. She leans to peek a little closer, yet the rear view strikes as the female stands facing the other way. Ms. Kim was getting impatient, resulting to her camera bag hitting against the wall that produced a loud sound.

     Damn it!

     Dahyun didn't move an inch. She tilts her head to adjust the bag, but right when she returned her gaze, the female's eyes shot a cautioned glare.

     Yet, Dahyun stood still.

     That can't be her. No, no, no, no—

     "Who's there?" the female proceeds to ask.

     The young girl hesitates whether to speak up or leave immediately. Afraid of the consequences, she dashes towards the bin and hides before the female can approach her. She pulls her bags away from sight, leaving no trace of difference behind. "Hm. Must be my imagination then," the female hums. Dahyun peeks again, the female stayed in her position while she inspects her surroundings.

     Dahyun was quaking. That face and that voice....there's no way that's her. If she returned, she should have informed at least one of us...or them, at least.

     She anticipated for the female to leave the room. She exits the room and locks the door and once she covers a sufficient amount of distance away from her former position, Dahyun sighs in relief. She can finally breathe freely. She supports herself to stand up, her left hand grasping the strap of her bag with her right hand pushing the floor. From left to right, she scans the area before moving along.

     Ha, maybe I'm just losing my mind after stressing myself too much. Yeah. I must be crazy to think that's even her.

_____

     Sana felt the afternoon breeze as she sits on the vast green field. She contemplates upon the wellness of her mother; Is she fine? Is she eating? Is she sleeping well? All those thoughts spreading like wildfire across her mind. The last call she had received from her mother was four days ago, informing her about the money to be sent and curiosity about Sana's state. Sana reassured her that she was fine, including the topic of accompaniment along her life here in Korea.

     The Begonias have bloomed recently under Dahyun's care. Begonias would generally bloom in Summer, but it depends on the variety as well so it can also bloom all year round. Dahyun waters it from day to day after discovering a tiny leaf sprouting from the ground a few meters away from the Azaleas' territory. With Dahyun's absence in the morning, Sana would take her position as a lookout. The days have been lovely for the sun is generous with its rays, shining upon the vegetation equally and adequately.

    Abruptly, Dahyun disturbs Sana's tranquil reflecting while she sets foot on the grass panting heavily. The latter was startled; she stands up and dusts off the dirt beneath her pants. "What's with the hurried entrance?" she asks, squinting to avoid the strong sunlight striking their position.

     "I'm sorry I'm..." Dahyun's panting cuts her, "...late." She wipes off the sweat on her forehead and releases a loud exhale from her nose. Sana giggles softly at the gesture while she approaches the exhausted girl. "No worries. You don't have to tire yourself, you know? Although, your time here is limited since you don't want to keep Tzuyu waiting." she reassures. Dahyun shifts her head back and forth to free the pain stinging within her neck. She rubs her nape to stop the sweat from rolling down, reaching her shirt. "I know,"

     Sana, upon spectating how haggard Dahyun is, offers, "Do you want me to get you some water? I bought water at the local store a while ago."

     Dahyun nods. Subsequently, Sana advances to the nearest be

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter