Nine

Heartwarming Photographs
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

        "I'll return home soon, okay? I taught you everything you need to know, I'm sure no doubt will reach me." the woman fixed her daughter's hair, "I'll ask your aunt to send money from time to time for your daily essentials. Be careful not to spend the makeshift money I gave you too much."
        
        It was time for Sana's mother to depart. No minute was wasted in preparing; the mother simply had to leave immediately. The assigned plane was about to set off as the announcer had said, and the mother only had two things left to say as her feet led her away from the daughter's presence,

        "Be safe! I love you!"

        Sana was left with a bittersweet smile. She saw how desperate her mother yelled those words while running off like that. For Sana, It was heartbreaking to see another loved one say goodbye. But unlike her grandmother, this one was temporary.

        She had no one left to attend to back at home for she was all alone. Sana assumed her tears have dried up by this time since last night, but she was wrong. She broke down while she stood above the white flooring of the airport. Her tears streaming down uncontrollably, realizing that no one will be there to ease her pain anymore. Sana was the type of person who would cling unto people quickly. It would take a long time before she'd accept the fact that those beloved ones who she clung to for the longest time were gone.

        Sana wiped her tears the moment she realized how absurd she looked like in this state. She brought out a tissue from her purse which she prepared earlier in case this particular situation would happen.

        She decided to sit down for a bit, processing all the thoughts that have been pestering her since she came here. She thought about calling Dahyun, but she bit her lip by means of hesitation. The time displayed was 10:38 AM, meaning Dahyun still present in her classes. Her attention was caught when she noticed how she had never bothered to dial Dahyun's number.

         Sana paused for a bit before using this as an excuse to call Dahyun. She waited patiently for the latter to answer the phone.

        ("Hello?") 

        Sana was surprised Dahyun had answered quickly than expected. She was unable to answer for a few seconds until the other line spoke again, ("Who is this?")

        Sana gulped before answering, "It's me, Sana."

        ("Sana? Oh. I didn't familiarize your number. Sorry about that.")

        The caller snickered. It's been four days since they exchanged numbers, Dahyun wouldn't be too familiar with Sana's number that easily, "No worries. Um, before anything else, am I interrupting you or anything?"

        ("Mmm...I'm currently preparing for my next class but a single call won't hurt. What's up? This is the first time you called me, too.")

        Sana sighed worriedly. She looked down while her left hand played with the fabric of her top, "I'm currently at the airport right now. I accompanied my mother. She left minutes ago. I was actually thinking if we could meet later."

        ("Sure. Do you want to meet at the garden or?")

        "I want to eat."

        ("Oh. Well, there is a café near the university and the garden. Do you want to meet there?")

        "Sounds great. What's the name?"

        ("Yoo's coffee. Start from the garden and turn left. Once you do, there's an alleyway to the right and it's the first alleyway you'll see. If you pass through the alley, just look left again and bam! There you have it.")

        Sana giggled upon listening to Dahyun's directions. The latter was ebullient, and that was what Sana enjoyed the most out of Dahyun.

        "I appreciate the help, Dahyun. Thank you."

        ("You're welcome! I hope you remember, though. Anyways, I've gotta go. Professor's gonna beat me up if I'm late. I'll be out in about 4 PM. See you later!")

        "I'll remember, don't worry. Good luck. See you later."

        Sana glanced at her phone, her eyes glued to Dahyun's number. Dahyun's number is the only number listed on Sana's contacts situated as a 'friend'. The other numbers were none other than her friends' numbers back in Japan, but they never bothered to drop her a call or even a simple 'hello' ever since she left for Korea. She did not temporize to delete those numbers, for they were nothing but a group of redundant digits.

        _____

        The Japanese daughter arrived home. When she first stepped inside the once engaging residence, she heard nothing but a solitary hum that pursed her lips.

        "I'm home."

        Sana was anticipating for a response. Anything.

        But much to her dismay, no answer was heard.

        No mother, no grandmother, no brother or sister. I don't even have a sibling to begin with.

        No father? No father. Sana was better off chanting those inferior words over and over again. 

        No father. No father. No father. No father. No father— It just goes on.

        Sana was dog-tire

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter