KAI: Chapter 2

Pink Bubbles

Yikes. That’s all I can think when I arrive at the first floor and walk out. I glance down at my thin shirt as the cold, evening breeze blows right through me. I should have brought a jacket. Being lazy and not wanting to go back up, I run to the store across the street to help warm my body. I yank open the door and quickly enter as I mentally make a checklist. I speedily grab the things mom wanted me to buy: eggs, garlic...is that it? I start walking to the cashier when I pass by an aisle of refrigerated drinks and a pink package catches my eye. It’s the strawberry milk I’ve been drinking for free for the past week. I walk up to it and grab one. As I’m debating whether or not I should buy the milk, another hand reaches out and grabs a carton. My eyes follow the arm and land on the person’s face. I blink.

 

“...Kai?”

 

He turns and looks at me, his eyes growing wide.

 

kaikai15.gif

 

“...”

 

“Do you like this milk too?” I ask, hoping to make the situation not as awkward. He slightly nods and I sigh of relief. At least he’s not ignoring me.

“I didn’t know this brand was so good. Thank that guy who’s giving me these for free every day,” I laugh self-effacingly, but really in hopes he’ll tell me who it is. I look up at him.

 

“I will,” Kai says softly. I give him a slight nod in thanks, but I’m disappointed he doesn’t reveal the milk deliverer. His ears are pink again, and I’m wondering if he’s sick. Just as I’m about to ask if he’s alright, I remember the facebook post I saw earlier.

 

“Hey! You should get these for the girl you like! I mean, I don’t know if she’ll like them, but what girl doesn’t like strawberry flavored stuff, right?” I smile at him, and then after 2 seconds my brain tells me I should seriously shut up and stop being nosy.

 

“How’d...you know…that I like someone?” Kai asks, his voice deeper and his eyes bigger than before. Oh no. Did I make a mistake?

 

“I...uh...saw Baekhyun’s post,” I explain honestly. I think I hear Kai mutter something under his breath as he rubs his face, which is bright red. I try to think of what to say more, worried I made a mistake, but he starts walking to the counter. I follow.

 

I stand in the same aisle as Kai to pay for my things and notice him staring at my basket. I raise my eyebrow at him questioningly, and he quickly looks away as the cashier calls him to start checking out his things. As soon as he finishes paying, he grabs his bag of groceries before walking out. Well that was great. I didn’t even get to say bye, and I’m certain he’s annoyed at me for mentioning his crush like that. I’m so stupid. Why did you say something (y/n)?!

 

After handing the cashier a bill for my things, I exit the store as well. It’s only now that I realize I probably look like a hobo with my messy bun and caked face from my nap with makeup on. Dang it, maybe that’s why Kai left in a hurry. As I begin to make my way towards the sidewalk, the wind’s powerful blow sends a chill down my spine. I sneeze.

 

 

“Why’d you dress so cold?”

 

I turn to see Kai standing next to me.

 

 

“I thought you left,” I immediately lower my hand from rubbing my nose.

 

“Don’t you have a jacket?” he frowns at what I’m wearing.

 

 

“Uh… I didn’t think it’d be this cold. Besides, it’s a short errand. I’ll be home before--” Before I can even finish my sentence, Kai takes off his jacket and places it on my shoulders. It smells like lavender.

 

“No no no! You don’t have to--” I start to say but stop as Kai takes the bag of groceries in my hand and asks me where I live.

 

“I live in Exo-M Apartments,” I answer blankly, confused at this whole situation.

 

“Really? I live in Exo-K Apartments,” Kai responds with a slight smile. I recognize that as the apartment building next to ours. Wait, Kai lives near me? I never knew that. He clears his throat, breaking my thoughts, before saying, “Good. We can walk home together.”

 

Together. What is happening? Why is this perfect guy walking home with a loser like me? Can someone please explain? I mean this guy is good looking, smart, charismatic, athletic… My praises for Kai stop when he asks me a question.

 

 

“What time do you go to school?”

 

“Um…pretty late. I oversleep a lot,” I say rather sheepishly.

 

Kai smiles and nods, “Maybe that’s why I’ve never seen you on the way to school.”

 

“Probably.” It makes sense why he’s asking. We live near each other and go to the same school. We would have run into each other quite a bit on the way to school if it weren’t for my sleeping habits.

 

 

“Isn’t it heavy? I can carry my own bag,” I say, breaking a short silence.

 

“It’s fine,” he answers with his gaze fixed straight out. I look down and notice the slightly visible veins in his bare arms as his fingers firmly hold the two grocery bags. I can’t help but smile at the fact that he’s walking with me and holding my bag. I’d always thought Kai was one of those cold, chic guys in highteen movies. I then remember that this guy also knows who my milk sponsor is so I open my mouth.

 

 

“Are you sure you can’t tell me who my milkman is?” I ask with puppy eyes. It doesn’t work because he quickly shakes his head. But he stops.

 

“My man?” His ears turn red.

 

“My ‘milk’ man.” I emphasize the ‘milk.’

 

“...”

 

Did I make a mistake by saying ‘my milkman’? I give Kai a side glance, but his eyes are pinned to the ground before he starts moving again. As we resume walking, my thoughts switch from finding out who my milkman is to wondering who his crush is. She probably won’t be happy if she sees me with him like this. But then again, she probably doesn’t even know he likes her.

 

An idea springs to mind. Maybe I can help him out and then he can tell me who my milk man is! Genius. I mean, I don’t know how exactly I’m going to help him, but it’s worth a shot. Hopefully he won’t get annoyed this time.

 

 

“How about we do this?” I turn to him.

 

“...?”

 

“If you tell me who my milk man is, I’ll help you ask your crush out.”

 

“...”

 

“Come on…” I plead, grabbing his arm. It’s hard with muscle. He looks away, and his ears are redder than ever. Is he cold? I notice his short sleeves and realize his jacket is draped over my shoulders. I quickly take it off and hand it to him. He looks at me dumbfoundedly and places his jacket back on my shoulders with one hand.

 

 

“You’re not cold? Your ears say you are,” I shoot him a worried look as I point to his ears. I don’t want him to be sick, especially because of me.

 

“I’m not cold,” Kai says looking down. He walks a bit faster as he covers his ears with his large hands, the grocery bags dangling like earrings. I take that as a ‘no’ to my deal.

 

“Is she pretty?” I ask, not giving up after a minute. I stare at his expression, but it’s unreadable. After a moment of thought, he finally nods.

 

“I think so.”

 

What does that mean? I give him a questionable look and he laughs embarrassedly. I’ve never heard him laugh.

 

“Well,” he clears his throat. “To me, she looks beautiful no matter what she does or what she wears. I don’t really care what other people think.”

 

Okay now I’m getting kind of jelly. When will someone like this like me the same way? Gahhh stop being such a prince, Kai… I lean towards him and ask, “Are you sure you don’t want my help?”

 

Kai smiles and nods before handing me my bag of groceries. I look around to see my apartment building in front of us.

 

 

“Thanks,” I say, sort of disappointed our walk has come to an end. I wanted to find out who my milk man was.

 

“Yeah.”

 

I turn to leave when Kai says, “Oh, don’t forget we have a math quiz tomorrow.”

 

Shoot. I totally forgot about that. I turn to him with grateful eyes and start to open the door of our lobby.

 

 

 

“Text me if you have...any questions.”

 

 

Huh? I turn around to look at Kai, but before I say anything, he waves and begins to walk to his apartment building. I guess Kai can smile and laugh after all.

***

 

*Kai’s Perspective the same night after arriving home*

 

 

IMG_1104.GIF

 

“BYUN BAEKHYUN!!  I’M GONNA KILL THAT GUY”

 

 

*Kai and his click’s chatting room* (excuse the Korean and Kyivstar)

 

IMG_1121.PNG

IMG_1122.PNG

 

 

I thought my heart was going to leap out after she asked me who I liked. All I could do was swear under my breath and promise myself Byun Baekhyun would not be safe.

 

 

IMG_1105.GIF

 

 

    I have no idea where things are going. Should I just tell her?

***

 

 

*Back to the lead girl’s perspective the next day*

 

I did not study for that math quiz so now, after taking it, all I can do is clap for myself. I bet no one got more incorrect answers than I did.

 

“Ugh I hate math,” Ollie tells me. I nod back at her.

 

“And P.E, which is our next class,” I tell her. She looks at me horrified as we both begin to make our way to the locker rooms. I catch a glimpse of Kai in the hallway, with his uniform jacket thrown over his shoulder as he walks with his click. Byun Baekhyun seems to be showing something to him on his phone, and they begin to laugh. Kai’s eyes meet mine for a brief moment, and I feel myself jump back. He grins at me and gives me a small wave before going off into the boys’ locker room. Whoa.  

 

After getting changed, I remember the fact that I forgot to give Kai’s jacket back. It’s sitting in my locker, and I should probably go get it. I tell Ollie I’d be waiting for her at the field, and she gives me an ‘ok’ sign. I run to my locker to grab Kai’s jacket. I fold it up nicely and hug it towards my chest before jogging to the field.

 

Our P.E uniforms are made up of literally just a shirt and shorts, so when I go outside and meet the chilly breeze, I can’t help but shudder. I’m tempted to wear Kai’s jacket, but I shake my head. I need to give it back so no one gets the wrong idea (like you know how girls wear their boyfriend’s jackets or whatever). Where is everyone anyway? I find myself alone on a huge field with the teacher setting up cones in a distance. I bounce up and down to keep warm as I wait for all my other classmates to come out when I hear a voice.

 

 

 

“Pretty chilly out, huh?”

 

 

    chanyeol2.gif

 

 

 

I turn to see our P.E. teacher’s assistant, Chanyeol, who is also in my class. I nod slightly, angry at how a boy can be so pretty. He’s also really popular with the girls due to his attractive appearance and his gentleness.

 

“Why aren’t you wearing that jacket you have?” he asks, glancing at Kai’s jacket.

 

“It’s not mine; I have to return it,” I tell him. He looks at me questioningly but I don’t respond. Then he starts to take off his hoodie. What…? I glance at him with a puzzled look.

 

“Here,” he hands me his hoodie. Oh no, I don’t want people to get the wrong idea. I shake my head with a polite smile plastered on my face.

 

“Do I have to put it on you myself?” Chanyeol asks, and before I could stop him, he pulls his hoodie over my head. His huge hands guide my arms through and now I’m fully dominating his hoodie. I blink.

 

“Thanks,” I end up saying with a weak smile. He grins and places his hand on my head, its weight keeping me still.

 

“Bring a jacket next time, okay?” Wow he’s such a flirt. His big, soft eyes glitter in the sunlight. I think I forgot how to breathe.

 

I nod.

 

“Hey.”

 

I hear a familiar voice and turn to see Kai standing behind us.

 

 

kaikai23.gif

 

He looks at Chanyeol, then at me, and then at Chanyeol’s hoodie I am wearing. His face turns sour.

 

“...”

 

“Um, here’s your jacket!” I hand him his neatly folded jacket. He doesn’t even look at it.

 

“Take it off,” his jaw is clenched.

 

“What?” I ask him, confused.

 

“Take off the sweater you’re wearing.”

 

He looks as if he’s going to beat me up if I don’t so I quickly take it off. Kai then grabs the hoodie out of my hand and throws it to Chanyeol, who looks amused at this whole situation. I freeze, not knowing what to do and Kai unfolds his jacket and places it on my shoulders like he did last night. I stare at him baffled, but this time he makes sure my hands go through the sleeves. He even zips up the jacket and places the hoodie on my head.

 

“Uh Kai?” I start to say, but he spins around and storms off. I catch a glimpse of his pink ears. Chanyeol shrugs at me with raised eyebrows after putting his hoodie back on and walks away too. I am so lost.

 

“(y/n)! Let’s go!” I hear Ollie behind me and she drags me across the field to where everyone has gathered.

***