SUHO: Chapter 4

Pink Bubbles

The next morning I get to work and remember how today’s the day there’s a meeting with other company executives. Before I get to Mr. Kim’s door to remind him, it opens and he walks out.

 

 

“Good morning,” he smiles at me. He’s wearing a simple black suit that matches his hair color.

 

“Whoa…” I say without realizing it. I knew he was handsome, but his new, black hair makes him so much more...

 

    “Too good looking?” Mr. Kim smirks before laughing at my silence. “I’m kidding; don’t look at me like that. Are you ready to go to the meeting?”

 

 

“Baby, don’t look at me like that. Okay okay, I’ll go.”

 

 

I blink. The same man with dark hair and pale face keeps coming up. I’m convinced it’s not a dream. Then is it a memory? I look at Mr. Kim, who’s dialing a number on his phone. The resemblance is unmistakable. Black hair, pale face.  

 

“Let’s go,” Mr. Kim takes my hand, interrupting my thoughts. I look at him confused.

 

“Am I going too?” I ask as I internally slap myself to focus.

 

 

j16mLiM2pZLifBbFRnHqtqgBV9mO-2kEZw1pNfPV4tG0vxL2iRo-1MppFVOJ2wsfHwXD-km0VGtY3HN0JgHAPDmkyHMYKlnlXIniWt7QvG9bR9a9CoTkX48kl8NM233mGS_QKGrh

 

“Of course you are. You’re my secretary,” he slightly smiles.

 

 

We walk down to the parking lot, which I have never been to because I don’t have a car to park, and within seconds a black car arrives in front of us. The driver’s seat opens, and a tall man in neat attire steps out.

 

“Thanks, Chanyeol,” Mr. Kim greets the man and he bows as he hands Mr. Kim the car keys. I thought chairmen usually had drivers to drive them, but I guess with Mr. Kim things are different. I’m not going to question anything.

 

Mr. Kim takes me to the passenger seat, opens the door, sits me down, and closes the door before making his way to the driver’s seat. Once he gets in, he buckles his seat belt and starts up the car. When the car doesn’t move forward, I look at him and see that he’s staring at me.

 

“Is something wrong?” I ask. Before I know it, Mr. Kim leans towards me and I quickly close my eyes. Whoa, is this why he doesn’t have a driver? I never expected it in the car… But nothing touches my lips and I open one eye, only to see Mr. Kim reach for my seat belt and buckle me in.

 

“What were you expecting, baby?” he chuckles as he pulls away. I feel myself blush and I silently curse myself for expecting a kiss. As I grab my face with my hands, Mr. Kim starts to drive saying, “Don’t tempt me by closing your eyes like that. Unless, of course, you want to.” He grins and I look away without saying anything.

 

 

We arrive at the meeting place: Vivi Company. Apparently it’s a company that is in an alliance with our company, as I’ve been told by Mr. Byun the other day. But something tells me Mr. Kim doesn’t like this place. His expression is dark as he takes my hand and enters the building. The receptionist immediately recognizes him as she says, “Welcome, Mr. Kim Junmyeon. Please head up to the twelfth floor. Mr. Oh and the others are waiting.”

 

The lobby of this place is almost as grand as Suho Company’s; enormous, white pillars laced with gold along with spotless glass windows make up most of it. Mr. Kim and I make our way to the twelfth floor in silence but he doesn’t let go of my hand. I glance at him, and his face is expressionless. Does he really not like this place?

 

 

    By the time we’re in front of the doors of the meeting room, Mr. Kim’s expression is so grave I can’t help but squeeze his hand. He looks at me a little surprised and soon squeezes my hand back.

 

    “Is everything alright?” I whisper. He gives me a slight smile.

 

    “Yeah,” he says.

 

    “Are you sure?” I ask again.

 

 

“I just don’t like meetings where I have to face so many representatives. Especially  the one who runs this place,” he looks around the hall. Is he talking about the chairman of Vivi Company? I end up nodding and ask, “Well, shall we enter?” Mr. Kim nods back.

 

 

The meeting room is a lot darker than the ones we have at Suho Company. I guess they turned off the lights because they want to focus on the presentations that are happening on the big projector screen. I look around the room and notice all the representatives of various companies sitting in large, black chairs around a round table. I’m sitting behind Mr. Kim, just like the other secretaries seated behind their bosses. Everyone seems to be actively engaged in a discussion about a new project they’re all sponsoring. I scan all the faces, trying to decipher who is who. Or who the chairman of Vivi Company is. My eyes stop at a rather familiar face. No, it can’t possibly be him

 

 

The lights are still turned off when the meeting is finished. Um, are they trying to save electricity or what? Mr. Kim’s busy shaking hands with people and I wait for him near the door. I notice his consistent, serious face. I guess he really doesn’t smile around other people. I remember Mr. Byun telling me how cold he is to even his own employees. My heart flutters a little, realizing the fact that I must be special to him...since he’s so warm to me. Or at least I think.

 

 

Mr. Kim finishes his conversation with another representative before making eye contact with me. He finally smiles a little, as he walks towards me.

 

“Sorry to keep you waiting,” he says as he rubs the back of his neck. He then takes my hand ever so naturally and leans towards me to whisper, “Let’s go before I have to talk to more people.”

 

As we’re about to exit the room, my eyes meet with the man I’ve been wanting to avoid. The familiar man. The man I’m confused about as to why he’s even here.

 

 

bX8ZXuE1BsDBcyJ99BJ262CHQgWzxdFcy93PJ1Uvu9QlmHkow44wb1YZUTkYbYtEtDzS5YaQvOHhal1GhAQ6lwzR6F_KF41ItAqbrr15cTVklE1zmR_9Bsw_kJuNh7lhDuCRZ0wV

 

 

“Hey!” the man gets up from his seat and points at me before making his way towards us. I step back and Mr. Kim looks at the man before glancing at me with a raised eyebrow.

 

“Oh wow, I can’t believe we meet again like this. It’s you, right? The sushi girl?” the man grins. Excuse me? Sushi girl? Before I can respond, the man continues, “I went to the sushi place two more times afterwards, but you weren’t there.”

 

“Erm…” I don’t what to say as I see Mr. Kim’s sour expression.

 

“And you said you go there often,” the man pouts. He then looks at Mr. Kim with a confused face before turning to me. “Wait a minute. What are you even doing here? Do you know him?” He tilts his head, gesturing at Mr. Kim.

 

“Uh, yes,” I finally open my mouth, “I’m his secretary.”

 

“Sushi girl, you’re his secretary?” the man’s eyes grow wide and he soon laughs. I don’t know what to do with the coldness I’m getting from Mr. Kim’s face. The man seems to be unaware of the tension as he briefly looks at Mr. Kim before continuing, “If I’d known you were applying to be a secretary, I’d have hired you to be mine first.”

 

 

Excuse me what? I look at him with a puzzled face and he shrugs, “Vivi Company isn’t so bad, right?” This time it’s my eyes that grow wide. Vivi Company? This man is the head of this company? But he...eats sushi in my neighborhood. I mean, there’s nothing wrong with that but still. I never thought he’d own an entire company.

 

“That’s very flattering of you, Mr. Oh,” Mr. Kim interrupts. His jaw is clenched as he goes on, “But don’t talk to my secretary like that.”

 

“Like what?” Mr. Oh raises an eyebrow.

 

“Like she’s one of the girls you can mess with,” Mr. Kim’s grip on my hand tightens.

 

“You make it sound as if I’m a player,” Mr. Oh says. He looks at me and shakes his head as he mouths, ‘I’m not.’

 

 

xgVXi4T2NlD6hjxjRfYtxBqliqwgqkN_9zp5DCHKToIdYZ9OupyqF0fr50deeQdcZsbQUzLAt1Qn4qaM4NYxyJ_FKAZVQoS1UFob8uY-xexHtcq2viLQHTF3G2vtPxuqXvwhqYpz

 

 

“We have to go now,” Mr. Kim changes the topic. Mr. Oh tries to say something, but stops himself. Mr. Kim grimaces and begins to walk away muttering in my ear, “Let’s go, baby.”

 

“See you again, Sushi girl,” Mr. Oh calls out as we head towards the exit and I don’t dare to look back at him. Mr. Kim marches out the door, pulling me with him and we soon arrive at the car.  

 

 

“Is it okay for you to talk to Mr. Oh like that?” I ask as we’re driving away. Mr. Kim looks at me with furrowed eyebrows.

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“I mean, isn’t he an alliance you need for your company? You seemed a bit cold to him,” I say rather unconfidently. I don’t want to make Mr. Kim angry or anything, but the way he treated Mr. Oh made it look like they’re enemies or something.  

 

     “He needs my company as much as I need his,” Mr. Kim says as he turns the steering wheel. He fixes his eyes on the road as he adds, “And to be frank, I don’t need him that much. If he gets in the way and starts hitting on you, I’m cutting off all ties with him.”

 

     “Why don’t you like him?” I ask, curious and also ignoring the possibility of Mr. Oh “hitting on me.” That’s ridiculous.  

 

    “I just don’t,” Mr. Kim shrugs. I nod silently, afraid to ask more. The traffic lights turns bright red and we come to a stop. Mr. Kim then eyes me and I look at him. Is he trying to say something?

 

    “You met him at a sushi place?”

 

     “Oh,” I start to say. I guess he remembers my conversation with Mr. Oh. I nod as I answer, “Yes.”

 

    “Can I ask you not to go there anymore?” he asks quietly, looking away. When I don’t answer, he turns to me again and adds, “Please?” He looks at me with puppy eyes and I have to try hard not to smile.

 

    “But it’s my favorite restaurant,” I tell him.

 

    “...” Mr. Kim pauses and furrows his eyebrows before opening his mouth again, “Then ignore Oh Sehun whenever you see him, okay?”

 

    I laugh internally at Mr. Kim’s cute side and soon nod. He then smiles somewhat satisfied and we make our way back to the company.

 

 

***

 

 

    It’s finally the weekend but I can’t rejoice. My owner called me twenty minutes ago on this beautiful Saturday morning to “inform me” that she’s selling her apartment building. So that means I’m about to become homeless.

 

 

    “I’m really sorry, Ms. (y/n). But things are rough for me too. Would it be possible to clear out by tomorrow?” is what she said. Tomorrow? She’s insane. How am I supposed to carry all my stuff out and find a new home by then?

 

Just as I’m about to call Sung Kyung for help, my phone rings. It’s Mom.

 

“Hello?”

 

“Hey sweetie, how are you these days?” I hear Mom’s bright voice.

 

“I’m doing well, Mom. What about you?” I ask, “How’s business going?”

 

“Oh the usual,” she laughs slightly.

 

“Is Mrs. Hyun still bothering you?” I ask, raising my voice a little. I remember Mom complaining about Mrs. Hyun always making a fuss at how her bread tastes bad. Then why does she even go there to buy bread in the first place? That’s my question.

 

“No she’s not, honey. She rarely comes now. The bakery’s quiet these days with just regular customers,” she assures me. I smile, glad. Mom continues, “But tell me, is everything alright? Is work okay? How’s the workload? Do you need more food? I can always send you some.”

 

“One at a time please Mom,” I say with a laugh. Mom and Sung Kyung are both pros at piling questions onto me. I take a moment to pause before I say anything. I don’t want to tell her I’m about to be out on the streets because it’s obvious she’s going to freak out and force me to come home to her. The last thing I want is to make her worried. I end up vaguely telling her that everything is great. And that I don’t need more food.

 

“Okay, well call often! And if you need anything, I’m only a call away,” Mom says.

 

“Thanks Mom, I will. Love you,” I answer before we hang up. I sigh. What do I do now? I quickly dial Sung Kyung’s number.

 

 

“Hello?” Sung Kyung picks up after a moment.

 

“Sung Kyung, what do I do?” I exclaim.

 

“Why? What’s wrong?” I hear her worried voice. I take a deep breath before explaining my situation. She listens quietly, waiting for me to finish. Once I’m done, she says, “That means you need a place to stay, don’t you? And I’m guessing you haven’t told your mom about this.”

 

“Yes,” I plead. She knows me too well. I wait for her response and can’t help but feel disappointed when I hear it.

 

“Of course I’m not going to let my (y/n) sleep on the streets,” she starts off to say before going on, “But my house is going through remodeling right now. It’s going to be finished in about two weeks.”

 

“Oh. Then where are you staying now?” I ask. Two weeks is a while.

 

“I’m at my hospital’s dorm right now,” she replies. “I’m so sorry, (y/n). But after two weeks you can live with me; or at least, until you find a new house.”

 

“No don’t be sorry. I’m really thankful you’re offering me your home in the first place,” I tell her.

 

“What are you talking about? Of course I’m going to offer my house,” she responds in a loud voice. I smile.

 

I thank her again and she tells me to call her if I need anything else before we hang up. Two weeks...where am I going to stay for two weeks? I don’t know if I’m going to wait two weeks to find a new house. I don’t want to live off of my Bible, even if she’s my closest friend. I’m going to have to not only find an immediate place to stay, but also find a new home in the meantime. But all my options are gone.

 

 

I end up starting to pack some of my stuff before I tell myself I need some fresh air to relieve some stress. I grab a jacket and walk out.

 

The breeze cools me down as I find myself walking down a path dotted with trees. I spot a bench nearby and decide to sit down. I look up at the sky; there’s not even a single cloud, despite the cold air. I try to process what I’m supposed to do about my home when all of a sudden, distress and fear sweep over me, making me tear up. Goodness, (y/n). Don’t you dare cry like an idiot out here in public. I watch strangers, kids with their parents, and groups of friends walk past me. I even feel lonely now.

 

 

My phone rings, making me jump. I look to see who it is.

 

Mr. Kim

 

“Hello?” I pick up.

 

“You saved my number this time, right?” I hear Mr. Kim’s playful voice and I immediately break into tears.

 

“Baby, what’s wrong?” Mr. Kim asks frantically, after hearing me wail. (y/n), get a hold of yourself, I tell myself. I honestly don’t know why I started to cry as soon as I heard Mr. Kim’s voice. I feel rather embarrassed.

 

“I...I...d-don’t…” I sniff in between every syllable and I hate myself for sounding like an actual baby. I can’t go on.

 

“Where are you?” Mr. Kim asks, and this time his voice is soft. Strangely enough, it calms me down a bit and I tell him my location.

“Stay right where you are; I’ll be there in ten minutes,” Mr. Kim says.

 

As my tears dry up, I stay seated on the bench, waiting for Mr. Kim. But all I can think of is...how am I going to explain why I cried? I mean, I don’t want to tell him I’m homeless starting from tomorrow. I scratch my head in frustration and sigh. (y/n), why’d you cry like that?

 

 

Before long, a familiar, black car arrives and Mr. Kim steps out. I guess he must’ve come in a hurry because his hair is down and his clothes are casual: dark jeans with a black jacket, along with a pair of grey converse. He looks around and as soon as his eyes meet mine, he runs over to where I’m sitting at.

 

“Are you alright?” he places his hands on my shoulders as he inspects me. His face is overflowing with concern and I try my best to smile.

 

“I’m fine; I’m sorry for calling you like this when you should be resting,” I lower my head.

 

“Don’t say that, baby. You know you matter more than anything to me,” he says gently before going on, “Tell me what happened. Why were you crying?”

 

“It’s nothing,” I say with my head still lowered. I feel tears swelling up again and I have to use every muscle in my body to force myself not to cry. Mr. Kim lifts my head slowly and I’m forced to look at him.

 

 

M94z2ARBIgmaPbaNVeKdcoXE1rCnGkSZk7jSAwbn3NpNeaat2IhMkLn7ljEYdng6wX4XLYTSovYS1N7sVYJAtzKvzMBRffVfM_4X3Z868z-MFT-8xHsGqKKBa-4xB9-7i0DTEDeC

 

 

“It’s obviously not ‘nothing.’ What is it?” his slight smile quickly turns into a frown as soon as he sees my eyes filled with tears. He waits for me to answer by raising his eyebrows in concern. My tears burst out after that; it’s as if Mr. Kim opened the cap to my eyes’ water tanks. As I sit there and cry, Mr. Kim takes a seat beside me. He then wraps one arm around me and places my head on his broad shoulders with the other. I cry even harder, and Mr. Kim pulls me in closer quietly repeating softly, “It’s okay, baby. It’s okay.”

 

 

When I’ve fairly calmed down a bit, I can’t help but feel so shy. I can’t believe I cried like a kid in front of Mr. Kim. I’m such a disaster. As I bury my face into Mr. Kim’s chest in embarrassment, I feel him lean close to my face and whisper, “Can you please tell daddy what’s wrong? Or is it something you’d rather not talk about?”

 

“Well…” I feel my face growing warm as I slightly pull away from him. He looks at me expectantly and something inside me tells me I can trust him. I take a deep breath as I begin to tell him the situation I’m in. There’s not a single moment where Mr. Kim takes his eyes off of me; he listens quietly with his gaze fixed. After I’m done, Mr. Kim smiles warmly.

 

 

“Baby, why didn’t you say so? You’re always welcome to stay with me,” he says. Wait what?

 

 

“Oh no, I don’t want to burden--” I start to say but Mr. Kim shakes his head as he cuts me off, “Let’s go. I’ll help you pack.”

 

 

***

 


Author's Notes:

Everything is so simple with Mr. Kim, right? XDDD

Anyway I'll keep it fairly short: thank you so much (again) for reading and I'm so sorry it's taking me forever to post when I said I'd post more often XDDD

(I realized I'm posting the same amount as I did back when school was still happening LOLS)

Have a wonderful rest of the week; and I'll see you next week with more Junmyeon^^