KAI: Chapter 5 (完)

Pink Bubbles

*Back to the lead girl’s perspective the next day*

 

    Several things shocked me today, and it’s not even the end of 6th period. One, Kai didn’t even greet me this morning and hasn’t said a word to me. He hasn’t even looked once my way. Everytime I tried to make eye contact, he looked away or did his work. I keep getting the feeling I made a huge mistake and I’m struggling to recall what it might be.

 

    Two, my milk man hasn’t left a milk for me today. It’s the first time, and so I’m thinking maybe he’s absent? Or maybe he doesn’t like me anymore.

 

    Three, my most favorite English teacher ever, Ms. Sunny, is getting married this Sunday. She apologized for telling us last minute but invited us all to attend her wedding. Now my brain has one more thing to worry about: what to get her as a wedding gift.

 

The bell rings for the end of sixth period, signaling the transition for study hall. I look at Ollie to see if she wants to go to the school library, but see her busy laughing and talking with Chanyeol, her desk partner (remember how Kai traded seats). I smile and decide not to bother her. I then look at Kai, who’s occupied with math problems. I clear my throat. He doesn’t seem to notice. I get tired of trying to get his attention so I grab my books and stand up. I see him glance at me briefly before quickly going back to work. I walk out the door and head to the library.

 

 

 

I think it’s been about twenty minutes before someone taps on the table I’m sitting at. I glance up.  

 

 

   

IMG_1312.GIF

 

“...”

 

 

“...?” It’s Kai, and I’m quite startled. I thought he was mad at me. He bites his lip, making him look as though he has something to say so I wait for him to speak.

 

“Um… can I talk to you for a minute?” he asks finally. I nod, and he quickly walks out. I get up and follow him out the door.

 

He exits the building and once I’m also outside, he grabs my hand and runs to the side of our school building. There’s no one around; only the soccer team practicing in the distance.

 

Then, out of nowhere, he hands me a carton of milk. It’s the same strawberry flavored milk I’ve been getting from my milk man. I look up at him with wide eyes. What….?

 

“I thought about it, and I decided to give this to you in person today,” Kai says. His cheeks are pink and his ears are burning.

 

I can’t believe it. Kai is my milk man?

 

“Wait… so you’re…” I start to say and Kai nods.

 

“Yeah, I’m the one who’s been putting milk cartons on your desk.”

 

“...” I stare at the carton of milk in my hand. So all this time, he’s been lying to me? I thought it was someone he knew. I never thought it would be Kai himself.

 

 

My thoughts are interrupted as Kai speaks up.

 

“I don’t want to overwhelm you with my feelings, but I thought I should tell you how I feel before it’s too late and I lose you to someone else.”

 

“What do you mean?” I face him, and there’s a moment of silence as Kai stuffs his hands into his pockets and looks at me with a determined face.

 

 

“I like you, (y/n).”

 

 

My heart starts to beat faster and faster and I feel my face growing warm. I can’t even look up at him now. I knew this was coming, but didn’t expect it to be so soon. KAI KIM JUST CONFESSED TO ME WHAT DO I DO?!

 

“You don’t have to respond now. I can wait,” Kai continues. This time his expression is soft, and a slight smile grows on his lips.

 

“Uh…” I try to think of what to say, obviously baffled at this whole situation.

 

“Are you doing something today after school?” he asks just as I’m about to give up. I look up at him. Is he asking me out on a date? I thought he said he “could wait.”

 

“I mean, maybe if we hang out more, it’ll help you decide on your answer,” he shrugs before breaking out into a grin.

 

“Well, I was...going to buy Ms. Sunny’s wedding gift today…” I answer in a small voice. I still don’t know how I feel about Kai. Clearly I like him...but in what way?

 

 

“Oh, let’s buy one together,” Kai says, inviting himself. “But I have to clean up the auditorium with other class presidents so I might be late.”

 

I blindly nod and then arrange to meet him in front of my apartment building at 5.

 

 

***

 

 

I don’t even get to say goodbye to Ollie or Chanyeol, but they don’t seem mind. They seem to be lost in some interesting conversation, and I’m too busy processing my feelings towards what happened with Kai. I get home and change into comfortable clothes. Suho isn’t home yet and I remember he has karate practice every Friday. I open a bag of chips and look at the time. I still have thirty minutes until 5. As I munch on chips, it occurs to me that I’m actually looking forward to spending time with Kai. And just him.

 

 

Before I know it, it’s 4:58 and so I hurry out the door. When I get to the lobby, I run out and hear my phone ring. It’s a text. And it’s from Kai.

 

 

Hey, you out yet?

 

 

Yeah, I’m out and ready:)

 

 

Maybe the smiley face was too much? But as soon as I send it, I see Kai walking out of his apartment building in casual clothes.

 

 

 

IMG_1075.GIF

 

 

He needs to stop looking so good. I feel myself blushing and I force my brain to tell my cheeks to stop producing such redness. I also feel rather embarrassed for looking like a hobo compared to him.

 

 

I guess my text got to him because he pulls out his phone to check the message.

 

 

 

IMG_1076.GIF

 

“...”

 

 

Is he smiling? At my text? My heart skips a beat at his smile. Uh oh.

 

 

“Kai!” I call out to him and he looks my way. He grins at me with his perfect teeth and jogs over. We then make our way to the bus stop.

 

“Do you what you’re gonna buy?” Kai asks me. I shake my head. When the bus arrives, Kai grabs my hand and hops on. I feel my face growing hot again.

 

“How about we go to the mall first?” he asks, not letting go of my hand. I stare at his hand on mind and nod. As the bus lurches forward, I lose balance and he grabs my waist to keep me up.

 

“Careful,” he says. My face is about to explode as I find myself in Kai’s arms. I quickly get back on my feet and move to the back of the bus, where I find a seat. I sit down. Kai smiles at me and then walks over. The man next to me seems to be getting off at the next station because he gets up and allows Kai to sit next to me. I feel his eyes on me but I force myself to look out the window and avoid any sort of contact (especially physical) knowing or else I’d die of a heart attack.

 

We arrive at the mall and start to look around. After walking three hundred laps around the entire mall, I still don’t know what to get Ms. Sunny. Neither does Kai. Then something catches my eye in a particular store I haven’t noticed before. It’s matching pajamas for couples. I quickly walk towards it.

 

 

“Those are cute,” Kai says, catching up to me. I nod and smile brightly at him.

 

 

“Right? We should get this for Ms. Sunny and her fiance.” Kai nods before his big, brown eyes look away. His ears are red.

 

 

“Yeah,” he agrees.

 

 

“I wonder what size to buy though,” I say, looking around for an employee to help us. As I’m eyeing the store, Kai grabs the pink pair of pajamas and places it in front of me. I look at him confused and he says, “Well we can just get ones a size bigger than yours and mine. I think they’ll be roughly the same size as us but it doesn’t hurt to be safe and buy one size larger.” He then grabs a pair of blue ones and holds it up to himself.

 

I nod and add, “Yeah, and pajamas can be worn big anyway.”

 

 

“Exactly.” Kai grins.

 

 

“Would you like to try them on?” I turn and see a woman smiling at us. She seems to be an employee.

 

“Uh…” I start to decline but the lady adds, “Those pajamas are really popular these days for couples. I bet they’ll look great on you two, since you both make such a cute couple.”

 

 

Pardon? How do I even react to that? I glance at Kai, whose ears are now bright red.

 

“Um...that’s okay. Could you just give us one size larger for these two?” I quickly respond and hold up the pair of pajamas Kai and I are holding. The lady pauses before smiling and taking the pajamas from our hands. It’s super awkward standing with Kai after that, but the lady rapidly comes out with two new pairs of pajamas.

 

“Could you wrap them for us? It’s supposed to be a gift,” Kai tells the lady.

 

Her eyes get big as she says, “Oh really? Of course we can. I’m so sorry, I thought you two were a couple and wanted to buy these for yourselves.” She begins wrapping the gift and Kai places our shared money on the counter.

 

“Who knows? Maybe we’ll come back to get some for ourselves,” Kai says, laughing slightly. Wait, what? He glances at me and our eyes meet. This time, neither one of us looks away, and I feel like I’m getting into his soft, dark eyes. The lady then hands us our gift, breaking our eye contact.

 

I decide to keep the gift until the wedding day and as I’m about to say bye to Kai, he grabs my arm. I turn to him and he clears his throat.

 

 

“Do you want to eat dinner?” he asks. I look at my watch and notice it’s already 7:30pm. Huh. Time really does fly with Kai. I nod and he grins. I blindly follow as he takes my hand and leads me into the nearest restaurant.

 

 

***

 

 

After my date with Kai on Friday, I’m looking forward to tomorrow. Wait a minute did I just say date? Oh gosh… Anyway, tomorrow is Sunday, Ms. Sunny’s wedding, and I had agreed to go with Kai. Besides, I’m so bad with roads I’d be lost without someone to go with me. (y/n), enough with the stupid excuses. I know now that I actually like Kai back. It’s just… I don’t know how to tell him.

 

I look through my closet to see what I should wear. I decide to wear a simple white dress and a dark jacket. I put my hair in rolls and set the alarm so I can get ready early tomorrow morning.

 

I think I slept for like four hours. I don’t want to admit it, but I was too excited to sleep. Not just because of Kai (cough cough), but because I couldn’t wait to see Ms. Sunny in her gorgeous wedding dress. I look at the time.

 

7:10 am. I have about an hour to get ready. I quickly wash my face and hurriedly eat a slice of toast before brushing my teeth. I then get dressed, apply makeup, and let down my hair.

 

After doing all that, I pack my bag and remember Ms. Sunny’s gift. I grab it and notice it’s already 8. I walk out of my room and mom applauds.

 

 

“Oh my goodness, look at my daughter! She’s so pretty,” she says and I blush.

 

“You’re right; it would be a shame if she outshines the bride,” dad adds. They’ve been watching TV and now that I’ve walked out, they’re busy praising me. Oh stop it…

 

“Uh that won’t happen. She can’t even outshine a blobfish.” I glare at Suho, who of course can’t shut up when I’m getting compliments.

 

“Oh you stop,” mom shushes him and then says, “Well tell Ms. Sunny we truly congratulate her and also that we’re very sorry we can’t go.”

 

 

My parents have work to attend today in about an hour, making them unable to attend. Suho never had Ms. Sunny as a teacher and he’s too lazy anyway to go. So I decided to go as our house representative.

 

 

“I will mom,” I assure her. I then open the door and walk out.

 

 

When I get to the lobby, I text Kai to see if he’s ready.

 

 

But as I open the door and walk outside, I see him standing in front of me.

 

 

IMG_1110.GIF

 

“...”

 

 

He looks up at me and I smile at him. But he doesn’t say anything; he just keeps staring at me with large eyes. I start to feel shy and look down at my outfit. Was something wrong? Did I look that bad?

 

“Do I look bad?” I ask him sincerely.

 

“What? No, of course not,” Kai says, shaking his head. His face is slightly pink. He adds after a pause, “You look stunning.”

 

This time it’s my face turning pink.

 

 

“Thanks. You too,” I say. He really does look good (I mean when did he not) with his tux.

 

“Thanks,” Kai smiles a little. I notice his tie is a bit messy and I can’t help but laugh imagining him clumsily tying his tie. He faces me and before I realize what I’m doing, I put down my bags and reach out to start fixing his tie. Kai’s face turns bright red and he coughs a little. I grin at him and continue fixing his tie.

 

 

IMG_1068.GIF

 

“I feel like we’re a married couple seeing you do this,” Kai whispers.

 

I look at him with large eyes and he laughs. “I’m kidding.” He ruffles my hair. I don’t even care if he’s messing up my hair I curled and styled for hours. I continue staring at him with my hands still on his tie. He looks at me confused and places his hands on mine before putting them by my side.

 

“You okay?” he asks. “Your face is red.”

 

I quickly cover my face with my hands and look down. Just then, Kai grabs my hands and holds them away from my face. He leans towards me.

 

 

“Are you blushing?” he says teasingly.

 

“...” I say nothing but slowly nod, admitting it.

 

“...wait. Really?” Kai leans in closer and I look away. My face is about to explode. I hear Kai laugh. “Why are you blushing? Is it because I’m too handsome and you can’t believe a guy like me has a crush on you so you want to say yes to him real bad?”

 

 

He must be a psychic and I hate him for reading my mind. I say nothing and slowly look at Kai’s face. He’s grinning real hard at me and my heart keeps beating faster. I can’t stand it any longer so I break away from his grip and he steps back, surprised.

 

 

“Yes!” I almost shout. “Yes you are so right. You are handsome, and I can’t believe a guy like you has a crush on me and yes, I do...want to say...yes to you…” My voice gets quieter. I cringe at my mini-speech.

 

 

“...”

 

 

Silence follows after and I’m so embarrassed I quickly walk away. Before long, I feel a hand grab mine and I find myself gazing into Kai’s eyes. His warm brown eyes.  

 

 

“Do you even know where to go?” Kai asks me. Ugh...I hate myself for not knowing. I’m such a loser. I slowly shake my head and Kai chuckles. He tightens his grip on my hand and says, “Well  it’s good you now have a boyfriend who knows exactly where to go.”

 

 

My face, which is already red, turns even hotter. Did he just say boyfriend? RIP (y/n).

 

 

IMG_1081.GIF

 

“Come on, let’s go before we get late.”

 

 

***

 

 

Ms. Sunny looks so beautiful in her white dress as she walks down the aisle with her new husband. I guess she isn’t Ms. Sunny now. She’s Mrs. Moon. I smile at them and turn to Kai, who looks like he’s been staring at me the whole time. He hasn’t let go of my hand but I don’t mind that at all. He smiles back at me and I turn back to face the Moons. I know I’m going too far, but a small part of me wishes that someday, maybe I’ll be walking down that aisle with Kai next to me. I blush at the thought and scold myself for overthinking again, but Kai’s grip on my hand tightens and his warmth somewhat tells me he’s wishing the same thing.

 

 


Author's Notes:

I'm going to write my notes here because I have a lot to say and the actual space for author's notes have a limit.

 

bFbmktEdp2GbfCJDxr60nKTOx83pj9qPjBsf2k4e6Co7IX89AFiGWDmkwdQ0MUxSKH1KrqjEZofkUVhpLofZH_kp9o_AiGKvzKgw_AN0fWv0wSK-iFSURC1BKBVw6spRJ-dMXAiT

(shaking my head at my own writing)

Well that was a mess... hahaha but that's the end of our dear Prince Kai. It's time to say goodbye to him and in all honesty, I am not satisfied with what I did with him here... but whatever the case is, our little story as his high school crush comes to an end (UHUHUHU).

Oh my goodness... I first of all want to thank all my lovely readers who actually take the time to read my cheesy stories. I really do appreciate each and every one of you. FOR REAL like I'm crying...

As long as there is at least one person reading, I'll try to keep posting!

Also, please free to tell me what you think; little comments here and there make my day. (If not, that's okay too LOLS)

Starting from next week, we're going to meet Jin (BTS), so I'll see you then with more cheese.

Thank you!!!