D.O: Chapter 1

Pink Bubbles

*The following story once again is only based off the people mentioned; everything is fictional and made up. And like always, please be aware of the cheese coming your way. Thank you.*

   

 

 

    “Wake up princess.”

 

 

    I groan at the sound of Park Chanyeol’s voice. A few seconds later, the door bursts open and in comes Park Chanyeol, dressed and ready for work. If only I were an early bird like him…

 

    “(y/n), didn’t you say you have an important job interview today?” he bends down and whips the covers off of me. I groan louder and nearly scream when I feel his large hands tickling my sides. This is always his way of waking me up. Because it works.

 

    “Park Chanyeol stop!” I squeal as I sit up. I finally open my eyes all the way, and immediately they’re met with a (too) familiar pair of huge, brown puppy dog eyes.

 

 

    jdUAY-k7R7OSWso3WTu_Chha7VibzVvKp3ufqGnXgxlc-yUQ_fHf8onZd7DibdZF76oYmoNtzaOS2jxYH-5K_dHEECUZXkE2ZibRxHY4mV5G-KZroaa76HeLzXsdEp9Bj7o9b8-H

 

    “Did you sleep well?” he smiles at me. I pout but end up nodding as he ruffles my already messy hair, “What are you going to do without me? You slept through all five of your alarms, you know that?”

 

    “What time is it?” I scratch the side of my neck as I look around for my phone.

 

    “It’s 7:15, which means you’re not late,” Park Chanyeol shrugs smugly as he adds, “Thanks to me.”

 

“Yeah you’re the best,” I try not to sound so sarcastic as I scurry out to go wash up. After taking a quick, five minute shower, I find myself in a dilemma as I stand in front of my closet. What am I going to wear today?

 

 

“Oppa,” I call out in a loud voice to Park Chanyeol, who’s now out of my room and probably in the kitchen making breakfast.

 

“Yeah?” I hear his voice and I clear my throat as I ask him, “What do people usually wear for a job interview?”

 

“Oh my goodness, (y/n),” Park Chanyeol comes jogging in with an apron and a spatula. I give him a sheepish smile and he sighs, “Do I really have to tell you what to wear too? It’s a job interview. So that means something formal and neat.”

 

“Okay, okay,” I rummage through my closet and pull out a beige blazer. I hold it up to my chest as I look into the mirror and Chanyeol nods approvingly.

 

“That and that blouse you got from Aunt,” he says as he turns to leave.

 

“What about for the bottom?” I ask him. He turns back around and walks over to my closet, pulling out a burgundy pencil skirt with his free hand.

 

“This should do,” he mutters before pinching my cheek with a half smile, “Now hurry up because breakfast will be ready in five minutes.”

 

“Thank you,” I give him a thumbs up as he exits the room. This is exactly why I can’t ask for a better brother. Park Chanyeol really does mean the world to me, even if he’s painfully annoying at times. He’s extremely talented in so many areas too, and because of our six years , he’s practically my second dad, always looking out for me. That’s why Dad’s always worried that I won’t be able to survive on my own because I’m too dependant on my brother. He says Park Chanyeol’s spoiled me way too much and that’s the reason why I’m still a baby. Funny, because Dad spoils me just as much whenever he’s around and not serving as the kingdom’s major general.

 

 

“Alright eat up,” Chanyeol oppa places a plate of scrambled eggs with grilled ham in front of me as I scoot in comfortably into the kitchen table. He walks over to the fridge and asks, “Juice?”

 

“Yes please,” I say with my mouth half full. Within seconds, a glass of orange juice is placed next to me.

 

“I can’t believe my princess is already old enough to go to a job interview,” Park Chanyeol teases as he unties his apron and hangs it on the wall. I shrug. I mean I’m an adult now. I ought to be able to take care of myself, and getting a job so that I don’t have to live entirely off of Dad and Chanyeol oppa is the first step. Plus, that’s the only way Dad won’t be able to call me a baby anymore.

 

 

“Well don’t forget an umbrella when you leave; I hear it’s going to pour today,” Chanyeol oppa says as he grabs his bag.

 

“Okay, will do,” I smile at him, “Are you leaving now?”

 

“Yep, I’ve got a lot of clients scheduled for today,” he grins back as he adds, “You’ve got this, princess. Just be you, and that’s enough to impress them, alright?”

 

“I’ll try my best,” my smile turns into a weak one but I scrunch my hand into a fist to show him I mean what I said. He nods.

 

“Call me if anything happens and I’ll see you at dinner ‘kay?”

 

“See you,” I wave at him as he puts on his shoes and opens the door. He gives me his signature wink and leaves.

 

 

I chew the rest of my breakfast, lost in thought. Today really is the day of my first job interview. And it’s not like any other. Every year, the palace assesses, trains, and finally picks RPMs (Royal Personal Maids). That means each year, about twenty to thirty young women are chosen to serve the kingdom’s royal family members. Whether that’s the king himself or the just born baby princess, it’s a job of honor.

 

Our kingdom, SM’XO, has always been known to be a nation of peace, thanks to His Majesty, but rumor has it that there’s an inside war going on among the princes. After all, only one prince can succeed the throne. It’s always been my absolute dream to become an RPM, second to only becoming an actual princess; but we all know that’s not going to happen, and that’s why Park Chanyeol tries to make me feel better by calling me one.

 

I’ve come to accept that in reality, being an RPM is really the best thing I can probably be since the pay is good and you get to wear a fancy uniform as you roam about the grand palace. And to add onto the benefits of this job, you get a lifetime contract, meaning you can retire whenever you want at any age (with the retirement pay also being a significant amount). That’s why there’s a wide range of ages within RPMs, with experienced older ones teaching the newly recruited younger ones.

 

As great as my dream job sounds, the competition is just as high. I’m not the only girl in this entire kingdom who wants to become an RPM. I mean, who wouldn’t want to be given the chance to serve the royal family? Now I’ve only seen them on television or on magazine covers from time to time, but from what I hear, everything about them is as flawless as their looks. I’m curious to see if that’s true, though I strongly doubt it.

 

 

I clear the dishes and take one last look in the mirror before grabbing an umbrella and walking out. I make my way towards the bus stop and within a few minutes, my bus arrives. I quickly hop on and take an empty seat by the window near the back. As I look out the window and watch the outside world blur past me, I can’t help but feel butterflies in my tummy. This is so nerve wrecking. You’ve got this, (y/n), I tell myself as I take deep breaths.

 

 

When I finally get off the bus, I feel a drop land on my forehead. Before I know it, the drops multiply until I find myself in a heavy rainfall. Thank Park Chanyeol for reminding me to take an umbrella. I quickly open up it up before I get any more water on me and quickly walk towards the palace gates.  

 

 

The palace isn’t hard to find, given that it’s the largest, most extravagant complex in view. Just the walls that surround it are higher than multiple stories, covered in white and gold marble-like qualities. I haven’t been inside, and I can’t wait to see the royal palace with my own eyes.

 

As I walk down the street leading to the gates, I can’t help but hum in harmony with the sound of raindrops hitting the cement ground. The butterflies in my tummy seem to have vanished as excitement runs through me at the thought of being inside the royal residence. My steps are light and my tune is merry as I turn the corner…

 

Wham--

 

I bump into someone hard, knocking me off my feet. I find myself sitting in a puddle, my umbrella tossed to the side and my body slowly registering the coldness from the water seeping through my clothes. I blink.  

 

 

“Oh no, I’m so sorry miss! Are you alright?” a stranger’s voice reaches my ears and I slowly look up to find a man, masked and capped. He’s holding out his own umbrella so that it’s covering the both of us. He offers me a hand, large and pale.

 

“I’m...alright,” I manage to say, and take his hand. It’s surprisingly warm. He stands me up and I finally bring myself to look at the stranger more closely, but it’s only his eyes I’m able to see.

 

 

KZmJ5ClpmRgNwLdh0k1Dsn5G_7LkzBYDrwsQVH2L64T8RG6dwcK_EC07p4X1txASViARPhmhXnwnOESxJpiqDWo_0SeVSxtAk-J0DuC6-TNoZaj-06ru832rEQXPWXxJojIkJy2i

 

Whoa… his eyes are… so pretty. I really don’t know how else to describe them; they look so soft and warm, just like his hand. I’m wondering how the rest of his face looks like without his cap and mask when his voice cuts through.

 

 

“Oh no, you’re all wet,” his eyes drop down to my soaking clothes. I look down as well and sigh at my drenched state. “Were you on your way to some important place? You’re dressed as though you are,” the man says.

 

“Yes, well I was on my way to a job interview,” I answer with a slight pout. How am I going to go when I’m all wet?

 

“Oh I feel even worse now, I’m so sorry,” the stranger grabs the tip of his cap and groans, “I should have been more careful. Where is your interview at?”

 

“It’s at the palace,” I reply with a short laugh when I see how sorry this man is. I shrug, “Don’t worry about it; I’m sure they’ll understand with the weather being this bad.”

 

“It’s at the palace?” the stranger’s voice brightens. I nod and look at him confused as he mutters, “Thank goodness.”

 

“Um…” I start to say I’ll be going now when the man’s hand grabs the side of my face, forcing me to look at him.

 

“Let me take a good look at you so I’ll remember your face,” he says, his eyes scanning me.

 

“What? Why?” I raise my eyebrows.

 

“So I can pay for my carelessness, of course. What’s your name?” his pretty eyes show that he’s smiling as he removes a wet clump of hair out of my face.

 

“(y/n)...” I find myself answering, utterly puzzled. How is he going to pay for what he did by remembering me? But before I can ask, the man takes my hand and wraps my fingers around the handle of his umbrella. And just like that, he walks off into the rain as he says, “I won’t forget you, Ms. (y/n).”

 

 

I stand there dumbfoundedly before I bend down to grab my own umbrella left on the ground. I fold it up and look at the stranger’s umbrella now in my hands. I can still feel the warmth from his hand as I begin to walk to my destination. My heart feels rather weird from that encounter, but I decide not to worry about it as I’m now in front of the palace gates.

 

And the butterflies have returned.

 

 

***

 

 

    “Number 112!”

 

 

I rapidly pull up from my seat after a nearly forty minute wait. That was plenty of time to look around this extremely opulent compound. As soon as I walked into the entrance, I was met with a courtyard stretching far and wide, large enough to host the olympics.

 

 

70ya5Z2my-5eyCGo6G7e0fKv7IYp16i27so5C-LKCAKBVPCy3JWAvkkOaTB1jzhUoM4FzYUChVJczOtX_qj5xLw5FpVpKMUT1zxLQmVaLEGTwzVQiPJLfRhMg56tGQz69j9SlDIT

 

 

Talk about a modern day fairytale; I still can’t believe I finally set foot on the very ground our kingdom’s royal members walk on every day. Everywhere I looked, I saw beautifully crafted buildings with the outside looking like dreamy hanoks but the interior richly filled with modern style furniture. Trees and various flower bushes decorated the sidewalks, and just the grand size of this place made me slightly worry if I’d even be able to find the interviewing room.  

 

 

    “Young lady, are you here for the RPM interview?” I heard a voice call me. I turned to see a middle-aged woman, dressed in a red and white hanbok. That was definitely a high ranked RPM’s uniform. I nodded and she beckoned me to come over.

 

    “Oh my, you’re all wet, you poor thing,” she shook her head at my state and gestured towards the door she was standing by. “This is where you are to wait. Leave your umbrellas out here in this bin.”

 

    “Thank you ma’am,” I bowed as I quickly folded up both my umbrellas and placed them in the bin, already half full. I found myself taking a long, deep breath before entering the room.

 

    The room was a lot more spacious than I expected, filled with rows of benches as countless young girls sat and waited. I walked over to a desk near the front, where another highly ranked RPM looked up at me.

 

 

    “Name?” she asked.

 

    “(y/n) Park,” I replied, and her hands began to type before she nodded as she stared at her computer screen, “Alright Ms. (y/n) Park, you’re number 112. Wait here until you’re called.”

 

    “Thank you,” I received the numbered sticker she was holding out and placed it on my chest as I walked over to an empty seat.

 

    “Number 78!” a woman’s voice called out from another door and I saw a pretty girl with long, straight hair run in. Still 78? I yawned and soon found myself stepping out to look around the complex. It had stopped raining.

 

 

    After noticing the traditional outsides accompanied by the modern insides of this place, along with the gorgeous nature walk near the southmost gate, I decided to return to the waiting room. The woman standing outside (who helped me find the room) just smiled and didn’t question me looking around. I nodded to her in thanks as I entered the room again and sat down on a bench near a heater. I prayed I’d at least be dry when I went in for my interview.

 

 

    Soon number 111 was called and I waited for my turn with the butterflies swarming me again.

 

    When my number was called, I took multiple deep breaths to calm my jittery self before entering the actual interviewing room. And here I am now, in front of three RPMs and one general. The four of them look at me with cold stares. A red light catches my eye and I see that there’s even a camera on me. I gulp.

 

 

    “Please introduce yourself,” one of the RPM ladies opens .

 

    “My name is (y/n) Park,” I begin slowly when a phone rings. The general quickly takes out his phone and answers it.

 

    “Yes your highness,” he says, loud enough for us to hear. The ladies’ eyes are now fixed on the general. I don’t know what to do so I keep quiet.

 

    “I understand,” he replies into the phone before hanging up. He then eyes me while tilting his head in confusion, and soon turns to the RPM on his left and whispers something to her. Her eyes grow wide as she whispers to the next RPM, who does the same to the next. Soon, all four of them have large eyes and it isn’t until I ask if something is wrong when an RPM speaks up.

 

 

    “Ms. (y/n) Park, congratulations; you are now a new RPM,” she says and I can’t believe what she’s saying.

 

    “But...all I’ve said is my name,” I keep myself from stuttering. Is this some kind of prank? Becoming an RPM is not this easy. It shouldn’t be this easy.

 

 

“Yes, and that’s enough for us,” the lady finally breaks into a smile.

 

“So...no assessment? No training?” I look at her with huge eyes, full of question. I’m aware that that’s what all applicants are supposed to go through before actually being chosen to work for the king’s family.

 

“You’re a special case, and we’re sorry we can’t further explain things to you,” the RPM lady begins to arrange the papers laid out in front of her.

 

“You’ll learn on the job, so don’t worry about the assessment and training for now,” another RPM adds. I stay frozen.

 

“Well, see you in two weeks and we’ll keep in touch,” the general smiles at me with a nod. I awkwardly bow to thank them and exit the room. My legs wobble as my brain tries to process all of this. I’m an RPM? And I got to skip all the hard training? They want me in two weeks from now?

 

All I know is that I’m either really lucky or about to face doom.

 

 

***

 

 

I take a hot shower as soon as I get home. As I sit on my bed and think about what had happened today, I spot the umbrella the stranger gave me. I’d return it but I don’t know if I’ll ever see him again. I can still remember his warm hands, soft eyes, and voice as calming as the pattering rain.

 

 

I won’t forget you, Ms. (y/n), his words ring in my head and I feel my heart beating faster. What did he even mean by all that? Ugh, whatever the case, today’s been a long day, despite it still only being 4 pm. I end up closing my sun blocking curtains and taking a nap to clear my thoughts.

 

 

 

“Hey princess,” Park Chanyeol’s deep voice fills the room, and I strain to open an eye. Immediately, I’m met with a warm light as I see Chanyeol oppa sitting on my desk, with my lamp .

 

“You're back from work already?” my voice is hoarse from my nap and I spread out my arm to look for my phone on the side table near my bed.

 

“What do you mean, ‘already?’ It’s 7:00 pm,” he chuckles and walks towards me. He peers down at me and smiles, “So how’d it go? Any good news?”

 

“Uh yeah,” I mutter as today’s events flood my brain. My hand finally finds my phone and grabs it. I check the time and sure enough, it’s 7. But a text has also arrived and I check to see that it’s a document, confirming I got the job.

 

“So you got in?” Chanyeol raises his eyebrows at me, his lips still curled into a smile. I slowly nod and nearly choke when he gives me a tight squeeze as he congratulates me.

 

“This is just the first step though, right? Then when’s your training? Does this mean you still have to go through tests before actually becoming an RPM?” he pours questions onto me and I have to cut him off as I push him slightly away.

 

“No, oppa. I got in as an official RPM,” I look at him and he gives me a confused face.

 

“But I thought you said you have go through a bunch of stressful stuff before…” he begins but stop when I hold out my hand, “I know. But for some reason, I got the job without having to do all that.”

 

 

XyVKZs41Lk8Jtd-CU4N6mQfoOCetz95BYdLDRAKircuRyw2vDHDKIMy2hO3Hnndj1gwMJrt6wokOb4ZoYSU5m8VrCUwokcvYlNeW4Txk7uGc8ORHjzHLd5-VUgo-XGBXWXfzJPyE

 

“Wait, wait, wait. Let me get this straight,” Chanyeol oppa closes his eyes as if he’s processing what I’ve said, “So you’re saying that you became an official RPM on the day you were interviewed?”

 

“Aren’t you happy I got the job though?” I ask, scared of his reaction. I tug on his arm and give him my best puppy dog eyes. He slowly opens his eyes and stare into mine. I can see that they’re filled with worry.

 

“Yes, but I thought training would be essential to prep you for that job,” his large hand cups my hand on his arm as he continues, “(y/n), you’ve been living almost entirely under Dad and my care. You’re our princess, now about to serve a bunch of...actual princesses and princes. I don’t know if you can just automatically become a royal maid without at least learning how to cook rice. To be honest, I find this a bit fishy.”

 

“Okay I know I’m a spoiled brat who doesn’t know basic cooking and housework, but I’m willing to do all it takes to earn money for our family,” I try to defend myself. I want to believe that I got the job because I deserve it...at least somewhat.

 

“That’s not what I meant; you’re not a spoiled brat,” Park Chanyeol furrows his eyebrows, which is what he often does when he’s upset or misunderstood. He then adds, “And I thought you wanted this job because you wanted to work at the palace. Not because you wanted to fund our family. If money was the issue, I’d be the one who needs to work harder.”

 

“It’s for both reasons. I want to become an RPM because I’ve always dreamed of being in the palace, but I also want you and Dad to know that I can be depended on,” I can’t help but raise my voice. Why are we even arguing like this?

 

“I just don’t want to be the baby of this household anymore and come off as a worthy daughter and sister to all of you, including Mom in heaven,” I say quietly. I soon feel Park Chanyeol’s strong arms around me as he my back.

 

“You’re more than worthy to us all, (y/n), no matter what you do. So don’t ever feel pressured,” he says in his low voice into my ear. He then pulls away and smiles as he places a hand on my head, “Look at you, princess. All grown up and wanting to support us, huh? Mom would be proud.”

 

 

“I miss her oppa,” I whisper into his shirt and he nods, “Me too.”

 

 

“When is Dad coming anyway?” I sniffle, pulling back, as I think of Dad too. He’s been away for a while now. Chanyeol oppa rubs the back of his neck, saying, “I called him today and he said he’ll try to make it home by the end of this month.”

 

“So after I start working,” I respond with a pout and Chanyeol oppa laughs.

 

“Why don’t we save that news as a surprise for him when he comes, hm?” he holds up a hand for a high-five. My pout turns into a grin as I give him the high-five.

 

 

    “So what are we going to do? I mean, didn’t you say RPMs have to be skilled with cleaning, cooking, and all that stuff?” the topic soon changes to my new career again and I shrug.

 

    “They said I can learn on the job, but what do you think?” I look at Chanyeol oppa and this time it’s him who shrugs.

 

    “Well if they said so, then it must be,” he starts to his chin, “But why don’t you at least practice? I can teach you basic dishes and how to wash clothes at least.” Huh. That’s not a bad idea.

 

    “What would I do without you oppa?” I nod multiple times before I give him a hug, making him laugh. His arms hug me back as he murmurs, “Just don’t worry me princess, okay?”

 

 

    ***

 

   

    For the next two weeks, I spent each day washing bed sheets, clothes, cleaning the floor, dusting, and cooking. All under Park Chanyeol’s watch. Well, that’s only half true because he had to go to his own work during most of the day.

 

    Well one thing I’ve been constantly doing is regretting living the “princess life” here. Like I fully admit and understand as to why Dad was so worried about me being too dependent on Chanyeol oppa. I can’t believe I made that guy do all the chores; not once have I helped him clean the house or help him make dinner. How did he manage to do everything while working seven hours a day? I applaud for Park Chanyeol for the thousandth time.

 

 

 

    Cleaning and washing aren’t so hard, to be honest. I’d feel Park Chanyeol pat my head often when he saw me working properly.

 

 

    “Excellent job, princess! Look at those sheets glow,” he’d say.

 

 

    But when it came to cooking… his hand would grab his own head instead of mine. I’ve never seen him facepalm himself that many times before.

 

 

    “I don’t understand why you would put honey in ramen (y/n),” he’d say.

 

 

I remember him shaking his head but ending up breaking out into laughter as he muttered, “I swear I thought ramen was the easiest thing to make.”

 

 

    I don’t know. Cooking just isn’t my thing. But Park Chanyeol made sure I didn’t give up. Slowly but surely, I began to study, memorize, and practice until I was finally able to greet Chanyeol oppa with a freshly cooked meal when he returned from work.

 

 

“Thank goodness you improved; this tastes amazing,” Chanyeol oppa gives me a thumbs up as we both eat the bulgogi (marinated Korean beef/barbeque) made by none other than myself. His hair is still neat, but I can tell from his eye bags that today was a long day for him.

 

“It’s all thanks to my wonderful teacher,” I return the thumbs up and he smiles. I pick at the rice with my chopsticks, “Is work hard?”

 

“No it’s fine,” he shakes his head but I know he’s lying. But before I can say anything about it he asks, “What about you? Are you excited for your first day of work?”

 

“I mean yeah,” I flip my hair, making him chuckle. I’ve done the best I can and so I’ll just continue to work hard and face whatever I have to. It shouldn’t be so bad...right?

 

“That’s the spirit. You’re going to do great,” he assures me as he continues eating. After finishing up our meal, Chanyeol oppa offers to do the dishes, telling me to wash up and head to bed early. I thank him and do as he says. It’s going to be a big day tomorrow.

 

 

I don’t remember closing my eyes but when I open them, it’s already early in the morning. I jump out of bed to get ready. After washing my face and hair, I hurry to my closet and whip out a simple, cream colored dress. I put it on, knowing I’ll probably change into my uniform once I get there anyway. I then apply makeup, dry and iron my hair, and finally grab a bag as I step out of my room. I expect to see Chanyeol oppa in the kitchen, but all I see is a wrapped sandwich with a note.

 

 

I have to run to work early today. Sorry oppa can’t be there on your first day but I put in a lot of positive energy into this sandwich. You’ve got this princess!

 

 

I can’t help but laugh as I hear his voice clearly through the note. I silently thank him before grabbing the sandwich and taking a bite. Delicious as always. I smile, hoping the positive energy he put in will kick in.

 

 

I get on the bus and I’m soon busy taking in the clear, blue sky. Everything just seems so perfect today; the sandwich I ate, the weather, and even the amount of people on this bus. I hum an upbeat tune by the time I hop off and nearly skip to the palace gates, bright with excitement.

 

As soon as I enter, I’m met with a crowd of girls, all dressed in casual clothing. I sigh in relief that I’m neither late nor lost and decide to wait with them. I can tell they’re all newly recruited RPMs like me.

 

 

 

“Hey there,” I hear a female voice and turn to see a girl in a beige trenchcoat smiling at me.

 

 

CKAYugVYFJYZRKfjGb7f6EvK7Oesah0pCaslIDM5tA9XYoN1ScfacMkU_bsuSvPnKB--KdT24Ft2N_vI8DYsOEv1rLhOWfTlv9fiMlc3RKmiL0fXY1-Xq1F9Uowlhf0blFu5ktxJ

 

    “You’re a new RPM too, right?” she asks, showing me her perfect teeth. I take in her short hair pulled back into a ponytail, along with her big brown eyes. She’s...really gorgeous.

 

    “Yeah,” I nod, in awe of her beauty. Her grin grows wider as she puts out a hand.

 

    “I’m Sooyoung, but you can call me Joy,” she says. I take her hand and nod, “I’m (y/n).”

 

    “I see your name’s as pretty as your face,” she giggles and I think it’s the first time a girl made me blush. I shake my head and wave my palms at her, “No, no. You’re talking about yourself.”

 

    “Oh please,” she blows a raspberry and smiles at me, “Let’s get along well, yeah?”

 

    “Sure thing,” I end up smiling as well. Maybe Park Chanyeol’s sandwich really is working. First day, new friend. Definitely not a bad start.

 

 

 

    “Alright ladies,” a woman in her mid ages walks to our front and holds out her hands for attention. We all immediately quiet down and turn to face her. She’s wearing the red and white hanbok, communicating her high rank.

 

    “We’re now going to move into the main hall and you’ll receive further instructions from there,” she nearly shouts. We all nod before following her down the courtyard and into a large building, where there’s rows of tables and seats. Joy grabs my hand and sits me down next to her. I look around to see that there’s about twenty of us, now eagerly finding seats and chatting away.

 

    “Oh wow, it’s toasty in here,” Joy says as she begins to take off her coat. I nod, “Is this where RPMs eat or something? It looks like a cafeteria.”

 

    “Possibly,” Joy nods back and soon we’re hushed by the same RPM lady again.

 

    “I’m going to need your attention,” she begins. She stands up on a stool so that she’s on a higher platform, easier to be seen and heard. She continues as she clears , “I’m truly excited to see our new members of the RPM family. I can’t wait for you all to get started on your tasks. But before that, there’s a number of announcements I need to make.”

 

    The room remains silent and she goes on, “This year, because of a few exceptions, the official RPM committee has decided to ask new RPMs to spend the next three months here at the palace. That means you are to live here as we further train you to serve our royal highnesses more efficiently. That will begin tomorrow.”

 

    Now the room starts to buzz as this unexpected announcement probably flustered all of us. Especially me. Three months? Chanyeol oppa’s going to be lonely with both Dad and me gone and I don’t think I’ll be able to survive that long without him either…

 

    “But don’t worry,” the woman’s voice becomes cheerful, “We’re going to give you the last week of each month off so you can visit your homes and families. And after the three months, you’ll have your regular, daily schedules where you come to work in the morning and leave for home in the evening. Is that clear?”

 

    “Yes,” a number of girls respond. I’m slowly letting this news sink in. At least they’re giving us the last week off. And I only have to do this for three months. But come to think of it, it’s been my dream to live here… ugh, I don’t know. Living and working are two different things.

 

 

    SZ-5KxhdB5YMiBHxPy31nDWRhZUmEsST_FX-Tk7j4i4KimpRe6uWtt8O1E3FOLy1Eq5_9rR_Zy_PX0BtdjI5cz1VR-UuWtghMpmYzC6-_4bLdfABz5cjlGVrOKcLTiI6qy0YVDDx

 

    “So we have to live here for three months?” I hear Joy almost whimper next to me. I turn to see her downcast face. Guess this news is just as shocking to her. I reach out and touch her hand.

 

    “It’s only three months. We’ll have so much fun that the three months will be over before you know it,” I try to sound positive and smile a little. Joy’s face immediately brightens up as she nods, “I hope we’re roommates.”

 

    “Me too,” I almost laugh at how cute she is. I’m coming to realize it’s easy to make her smile.

 

 

    “Today we’re going to assign each of you to your personal royal highness. That means you’ll find out which prince or princess you’ll be serving for however long you end up serving them,” the RPM mistress quiets us again with another announcement. ‘Or however long you end up serving them?’ Does that mean you can switch? Like from one prince or princess to another?

 

    “So stay seated and I’m going to have our third years come and talk you through the basics before getting started.” And with that, the lady snaps her fingers and about ten other ladies trail in from the side door. They’re dressed in green and white uniforms, which means they’re experienced but not quite skilled enough to be the head (the ladies in red and white). And they’re all younger than I expected.

 

 

Soon, Joy and I are in a lively discussion with one of the RPM sunbaes. She’s already introduced herself to us as Bae Suzy unnie and that she wants us to call her nothing else than ‘unnie.’ My eyes admire her fair face and her perfect, wrinkle-free uniform as she continues to talk to us.

 

 

2l7HXQwxUEM-69XhoDPIZYv4XMa6cYbWp4dFaFt0KPdMPRKfHUliu3EEZs8y6wOX2DPlGPcnIUR-zw8Lyl9Cpmmfl1IBmEPI4oJRYdp0UHhTGEz-YIo3r0CIfwkxjAT7vW81UW7y

 

“Okay!” she exclaims brightly. Joy and I glance at each other before looking at her. She continues, “So you two are going to be on the prince team, which means both of you will be serving one of the princes.”

 

“Should we be glad about this?” I ask, and she laughs.

 

“Well, I mean they’re extremely pleasant to look at but I’d say it’s absolutely necessary to learn some key facts about them,” she says as she pulls out a packet. She flips to the first page and the three of us lean in to look at it.

 

 

“Alright, prince number 1, AKA the first prince,” Suzy unnie says.

 

“Is he called ‘the first prince?’ Why?” Joy asks and Suzy unnie shrugs, “Because he’s the first born.”

 

“Oh,” Joy nods understandingly. Well that’s simple enough. We then eye the first page laid out in front of us, filled with information about the first prince.

 

 

 

 

P4JbyZiXONqnYvUNlTmiOVuK17ir-gnZe2JFJ9MfGfW8WuYzbVzfDU8TpJ_jv-O5si9bE7d24pdRHfnDPfcNQGcpt6bpyPO-2BeEK5wtbyMY5GWiyJP7RK8JEx-dMDPMXEbbRhlH

 

The First Prince: Minseok

Birthday: March 26, 1990

Personality: Calm, likes to stay in room unless football/soccer is happening outside

Things to watch out for: likes to drink and can get dangerous when drunk

Additional info found on next pages

 

“Well for now, all you have to know is that he’s one of the easier princes to deal with. He’s very lenient, but you do have to watch out for his drinking habits. That’s the only downside. Other than that, he likes staying indoors most of the time and so you won’t have to worry about chasing him all over the palace,” Suzy unnie lectures and Joy and I take in every word. I look at Prince Minseok’s picture and nod. He seems cool.

 

 

“Next we have the second prince, who is my personal favorite,” Suzy unnie’s lips form into a smile.

 

“He’s the second born, right?” Joy confirms.

 

“Yep, and he’s great. Here, take a look,” she flips to the page with the second prince.

 

 

 

aAKlK2KO0cSyEhwawq4VKqk23QGcjZEPmgvAnbgPAes-xy1raBhy6eJDzpzoKY7E3xLRKTJGx9lsQu93m1U9yOyBl4e1sv_Ov_TFClSBSnU6AT17wgt3GJta8xsiY5XgiBzValQW

 

The Second Prince: Jongdae

Birthday: September 21, 1992

Personality: warm, playful, likes nature walks, and very understanding

Things to watch out for: can get very protective when dealing with his personal stuff

Additional info found on next pages

 

“Not only is he handsome, but he’s sweet and gentle and just the perfect oppa material,” Suzy unnie praises him. I take a look at the photo of the second prince and stop at his eyes. I’m pretty sure I’ve seen him somewhere…

 

“Do you have a crush on him?” Joy asks eagerly and my eyes move to Suzy unnie too. She shakes her head, “Nope. It’s more like a fandom I developed over the years.”

 

“He looks familiar,” I can’t help but mutter. Joy giggles as she hits my arm, “You’ve probably seen him on the news or something. I mean, they’ve all made a public appearance.”

 

“Right,” I smile sheepishly at her. Duh (y/n). I forgot that I’ve clearly seen them several times through the media before. Yeah, that’s probably why…

 

“Okay next,” Suzy unnie pushes the packet, now turned to a new page, towards us.

 

 

 

d-uTPB7Q-0Y2dBrWgifdfen1a25srRvhborcvM8v18ACQsKQvipPB4BbcRCiPpMdp-hHgcU0AqVDvY_AoXSd23oW0BzSrKHw7az06FU1x6Bt_wxJVXC6fC5S8NxHXbJEPPH-vWXK

 

The Third Prince: Kyungsoo

Birthday: January 12, 1993

Personality: quiet, picky, moody; has rare moments of happiness

Things to watch out for: gets sick often and can be difficult to communicate with

Additional info found on next pages

 

 

“Oh he’s so cute,” Joy coos and I smile at her. I look at the third prince. Big round eyes, heart-shaped lips.

 

“Yeah,” I end up agreeing. We both then turn our gaze to Suzy unnie, who’s strangely silent.

 

 

mJk7po3KkCeSSOTalTa3zyUkcx5I1DFPLnAU3gA-IFKnMbS8WTmRnHV-nzBIJgVBpp08IWNrtuLdpfRpJZOiq8QKeSP_-cMPS8nsKAn5725KBV7RmoXrA4PEATwKYNej0yhFH7yD

 

“Cute? This prince is the most difficult to work under,” she stares intently into our eyes with a serious face. I read over his description. Okay, maybe I do see why he might be the most difficult to serve, but is he really that bad? Suzy unnie’s eyes are saying he is.

 

“He can’t be that bad,” Joy reads my thoughts. I nod and look at Suzy unnie for an explanation. She shakes her head defiantly at us.

 

“Girls, don’t be fooled by his baby face. He’s cold and mean and gets sick so often you forget if you’re a maid or a nurse,” she says.

 

“Does he have a chronic disease or something?” I ask. Suzy unnie shakes her head again, “No, it’s just that he’s really sensitive to a lot of things. The doctors say he’s fine, even if he insists that he’s not. No one actually understands him.”

 

“Maybe because no one actually listens to him,” I murmur without realizing. I feel like maybe the poor guy wants some attention and care. But I could be completely wrong and I should seriously stop making assumptions about someone I don’t know.

 

 

“Just pray you don’t get him, okay?” Suzy unnie gives us a tight smile and we both nod. I have to admit, compared to the first two princes, the third prince isn’t exactly my first choice.

 

“Let’s look at the next prince,” Joy claps her hands eagerly and Suzy unnie makes an ‘ok’ sign with her index and thumb.

 

 

“Alright, I present to you girls...last but not least, the fourth prince!”

 

 

 

-KoqRoU-PH8DFdoqd9mtJ5cnBOJsMGSjGGTj9ReaCcxExgf_pdLzqE0R5zJ9sRJC4rKWVjnpB72yw8nPmlqInHCs1iN-nSjrfDYnmr92tOwPfPM3ZFdVUAu4-fU_FGcP4JAGYpDx

 

The Fourth Prince: Jongin

Birthday: January 14, 1994

Personality: flirty, outgoing, and the definition of a ‘casanova’

Things to watch out for: EVERYTHING

Additional info found on next pages

 

 

   

    “Whoa, why is his picture so different from the rest?” Joy squeals and I turn to see her cheeks are flushed. I look at the fourth prince’s picture again, and gulp at his posture and attire. Any girl can tell he’s dangerous...but that makes him so much more attractive. I shake my head. A ‘casanova,’ huh?

 

    “Yeah well our maknae prince is known to be quite extra,” Suzy unnie smiles sarcastically. She sighs, “I’ve been working under him for the past six months and all I’ve learned is how to draw lines. He can be quite the womanizer.”

 

    “Is he really difficult to work with?” Joy’s voice is cautious and I can tell he’s definitely a prince she’s interested in. Poor Joy. Can’t she see that he only means trouble?

 

    “Not as much as the third prince, but you have to be careful with him too. You never know when he’s going to run off to who knows where,” Suzy unnie explains. Joy nods glumly but her eyes are glued to the fourth prince’s picture.

 

 

    Four princes… and I don’t know which one I’m going to work under. I’m silently praying it’s either the first or second prince when Suzy unnie exclaims, “Oh just in time. I just received the room numbers of where you girls are supposed to go to.”

 

    She scrolls through her phone as she mutters, “(y/n) and Sooyoung…”

 

    Joy and I look at each nervously as we wait for Suzy unnie to reveal to us where we need to go to.

 

    “Okay so Sooyoung-ah, you’re going to room 99 and (y/n), you’re going to room number 12,” she says.

 

    “Room number 99?” Joy repeats, “There’s that many rooms?”

 

    “These numbers are honestly random and meaningless so don’t worry too much about them,” Suzy unnie chuckles.

 

    “Does it say which prince we’re serving?” I ask with raised eyebrows. Suzy unnie checks her phone for a brief moment before shaking her head.

 

    “Nope. It just says you girls are to change into your uniforms and head on over to those rooms in ten minutes.”

 

    “Ten minutes? Then we ought to hurry up!” Joy gets up and I follow after her. We both bow to Suzy unnie in thanks and she grins, “See you around girls! And call me if you have any questions.”
 

 

    Joy and I nearly sprint to the locker rooms where each of us are assigned a locker. I open mine up to find my uniform: a smooth, silky pink and white hanbok, the color for first years or beginners. I spot a map of where all the houses and rooms are as well. After getting changed and tying my hair up into a ponytail, I wish Joy good luck before heading to room number 12.

 

 

    I noticed last time when I came here how each house building is elaborately designed in the traditional Asian style, but now I’m also noticing how some houses have golden roofs. I guess that’s where the royals live. I hurry to the house on my map that reads, ‘room number 12’ and a high ranked RPM greets me by the door.

 

 

    “(y/n)?” she says my name and I nod in surprise. She looks at her watch on her wrist, “Good job, you made it on time. Now I’m going to open the door, and you are to introduce yourself to the prince by stating your name and the fact that you are new this year. Got it?”

 

    “Am I going in alone?” I look at her nervously and she smiles, “Yes dear. Every year is different and the amount of new RPMs assigned to each highness differs as well. So for this year, you’re the only newcomer assigned for this prince.”

 

    “What..?” The only new RPM for this prince? That’s frightening… I really don’t want all the attention to myself.

 

    “Alright, here we go,” the lady chimes and begins to open the door. Wait..! I’m not ready for this. I take a deep breath and my heart is beating faster by the second.

 

It’s okay, (y/n). Whoever it is, you’re going to be fine. But God, please let me have it easy and serve the first or second prince. Please….

 

 

    “Your highness, here is your new RPM for this year,” I hear the lady’s bold voice and I slowly raise my head. The door is now completely open, revealing a luxuriously decorated room. My eyes find the figure sitting on the couch facing the door. His brown hair glows from the sun rays shining through the windows and his hands are folded as his elbows rest on his lap.

 

He looks up.

 

My eyes grow large and I almost let out a cry.

 

 

    Big round eyes, heart-shaped lips.

 

    2QApuaopDiJBfT91J5T3A1MHMDVBfFznf2NYF0OJYAEQmcieYBld5enc1gvT1Wyq6hOi-q-VsCCWfO-CP0rEhaqSCEGS8DErcqTIUjBt-a_OjWjprtGKDF2qQrZGbJiHopexmtg9

 

 

    It’s the third prince.

 

 

***

 

 

    Ydq3kClaW7nu1Q1JTZUEWvZ6SyH4HwFAi-c_XL8E9QroRNzDwHD6mIqV9xOlbPPFLDl2GtqbYmg-OutX-YAesJUv6GZOJT9LE6NJiKVf_devUHSFY_51xSTzJqwGAD7ZtoGEdpkv

    *grins nervously at what in the world I've written*

 

Because I'm posting only once this week, I tried my best to make it up to my readers by writing more than I usually do for first chapters but it became rather boring... sorry about that..^^

 

Well my lovely princesses (I'm gonna call you guys that for the time we're in D.O's short okay? Chanyeol oppa would be pleased XD), welcome to another one of my cheesy creations as Prince Kyungsoo's one and only RPM! DUN DUN DUNNNN

 

Honestly, I had this storyline in mind for Kyungsoo and after I saw the teaser for his upcoming drama I knew I had to carry on with this LOLS

 

So it's a modern-day fairytale kind of thing...we're in the 21st century, I can assure you haha

 

Now that school is right around the corner, I'm going to try even harder to post often (like at least once a week), but I can't make any promises... BUT one promise I can make is that I won't give up on this story so if you guys stay with me as well I'd really appreciate that..!

 

Every view, comment, subscription means so much to me and I want to thank my wonderful readers (or princesses for now) for taking the time to read my writing!!!

 

So let's head on to another adventure as we make the grand prince Kyungsoo fall for us, shall we?

 

Love you all <3