SUHO: Chapter 2

Pink Bubbles

*Kim Junmyeon’s Perspective later that day*

 

 

“Chanyeol, I’m going to head to the gym in about ten minutes,” I wait for his response.

 

“Yes sir, I’ll get the car ready,” his deep voice comes through the phone and we hang up.

 

My head feels as though it’s going to explode any minute now. Does she have any idea how much I missed her? And here I am, thinking she missed me just as much. But instead of a warm welcome, she doesn’t even...remember me? How is that even possible? Is she that mad at me for leaving her? I didn’t have a choice when my mother sent me abroad, and I told (y/n) I’d come back for her soon.

 

 

“Baby, I’ll be back soon, okay?” I had said to her the last time I saw her face.

 

“Daddy…don’t go,” she said as she pulled my sleeve. I couldn’t help but grin at how cute she looked.

 

“I’m sorry baby, I really am,” I took her hand from my sleeve and squeezed it, “But I’ll be back before you know it. Trust me.”

 

“Okay...but you better call me every day, or else I’m going to see someone else,” I remember her slight pout and watery eyes. I had to stop myself from tearing my airplane ticket because of those eyes. I hated the fact that I had to leave her.

 

“Don’t you dare,” I ruffled her hair as I promised, “I’ll call you every single day.”

 

 

But then something had gone wrong. She didn’t answer my calls all of a sudden. Every day, I’d come back from my studies and the first thing I’d do was grab my phone to hear her voice. I made sure it wasn’t so late for her, and hearing her voice made me want to pack up my stuff and leave immediately. But I believed finishing my studies would make our future better. Having a chairman as a husband is better than having a jobless one, right? So the least I could do was study as fast as I can and hear her voice every time I missed her. That is, until she stopped giving me that chance to talk to her.

 

I called every day after that, but every time, another woman’s voice reached my ears, “The person you are calling is unavailable right now, please try again later…”

 

A million thoughts ran through my head. Was she sick? Did she change her phone number? Why didn’t she tell me then? Was she mad at me? Did mother say something to her while I was away? What was going on; wasn’t she the one who told me I better call her every day?

 

I ended up coming to the conclusion that she was mad at me for some reason and that I’d have to finish my studies quick so that I can go resolve things with her. And that’s what I did. I finished a whole year faster than expected. Mother had been so surprised when I came home so early.

 

But I was helpless. I didn’t know how to reach her. I didn’t have access to her number or her social media. I made Chanyeol, my personal assistant (who is also my driver and bodyguard occasionally), look for her with me, but it wasn’t until I sat down to read over resumes for my new secretary when I saw the face I longed to see for years. I remember smiling so hard thinking this was her way of wanting to resolve things with me. I was so happy. And...I still am, but I just don’t understand why she’s behaving the way she is. Like she doesn’t know me. And there’s nothing more scarier than that.

 

 

“Mr. Kim, the car is ready,” Chanyeol interrupts my thoughts and I hurry down to the parking lot. I get in the car and thank Chanyeol as I drive away to the gym.

 

“Mr. Kim, it’s been a while!” the gym coach greets me and I smile.

 

“Sorry I couldn’t come more often,” I shake his hand before going to the locker room.

 

After spending half an hour on the running machine, I decide to take action. There’s got to be someone who knows what happened to my baby. One name comes to mind: Lee Sung Kyung.

 

I quickly walk to the showers as I wipe the sweat off my forehead. Where does Lee Sung Kyung work again? If I remember correctly, she was in medical school the last time I met her. She’s probably working at SM Hospital. As soon as I’m done with my shower, I get changed and head to my car. I dial a number.

 

 

“Hello, this is SM hospital, how may I help you?”

 

“I’d like to know if you have a doctor by the name Lee Sung Kyung,” I answer.

 

“Ah yes, she’s one of the doctors in our neuroscience department. Would you like to speak to her?”

 

“No, I’ll be there in person in about fifteen minutes.” So I was right. She’s a doctor now. I hurry on over to the hospital parking lot before walking into the lobby.

 

 

“How can I help you?” a woman asks me as I approach the front desk.

 

“I’d like to speak to Dr. Lee Sung Kyung,” I say.

 

 

“Kim Junmyeon?”  a familiar voice reaches my ears. I turn.

 

um49Ciez2YBnztabFssN035jV3JkO3XmH-qft7WKzIgEB18oQfyl8K18oQ7L7O1yK3cqFhoG7anEdZ4iCwzXyNGdM-B37uNVzvdQasCW1yZ2sjCcP0KO_xvHsuIjGR1xsVFrt_rK

 

“What...are you doing here?” It’s Lee Sung Kyung. She looks at me with puzzled eyes and now I’m slightly worried if she even has the answers to my questions. I sigh, wondering how I should begin.

 

“Can I talk to you for a moment?” I ask, eyeing her.

 

“Is this about (y/n)?” she asks back. Her eyes become serious and that convinces me that she does have the answers.

 

“Let’s go outside, shall we?” I start to walk out the door.

 

“Wait, how about my office? It’s quieter there,” she stops me. I face her and nod. I really don’t care where we go.

 

“Alright then,” I say as I walk towards the hallway.

 

 

EEMCArZC29j0blomPCsDfErqlzHIVi7VVhe6hKGJDBs_fJqeZQN0DaExZhOEqQgghRg2mwIiEp6JxCz6sBx3r8ljrduHo8Fm5X-q0ueETjo2TECFq5jua7P5RqVs9wLGFTkuuiea

 

“It’s this way,” she follows after me and leads the way as she mutters, “This better be quick.”

 

 

“Tell me what happened to her,” I immediately get to the point as soon as she shuts the door. She points at a chair for me to sit down and takes the seat across from me.

 

“What do you want to know?”

 

“Everything. Why she’s behaving the way she is. Why...she doesn’t even remember me,” I try to keep calm as I admit the last part.

 

“You have no idea what happened to her, do you?” she narrows her eyes.

 

“That’s why I’m asking you,” I say in an irritated tone as I run my fingers through my hair. This is so frustrating. Why is she not answering me right away?

 

 “I guess it would have been shocking for you to come back and find (y/n) not able to even recognize you,” she almost laughs.

 

“Lee Sung Kyung, answer me,” I clench my jaw.

 

“She was so young when she met you, and I was so scared something was going to happen to her if she fell in love with someone as prestigious as you,” she ignores me.

 

“...” I’m about to lose it.

 

“Don’t tell me you still call her ‘baby’ and expect her to call you...what was it? Daddy?” her eyes are cold.

 

“Just tell me what happened to her!” I shout. She stops and looks at me. There’s a chilling pause before she opens again.

 

 

o50MTJttRDAb2QiAszVli0TgMMPFGm5Ha0DnXJQERV6HxkeIa8_WUy_yil_HUFy-MCXNrok-fFWgBwxJ1U33QpDonVDO-Sccp4sl1NC8xxpYEGnXs8OF-9D7cdXVkz6Tgwjeao3U

 

“(y/n) got into a car accident and now four years of her memory is gone, including all the memories of you,” she says. I feel like my heart is crumbling down.

 

“What?” I keep myself from shaking so much. A car accident?

 

“Since then, we haven’t found the culprit, and she hasn’t found her memory,” Lee Sung Kyung adds.

 

“Culprit?” I look at her.

 

“Yeah, it was a hit-and-run driver. But after months of looking, the police told us it’d be better for us to forget about it,” she eyes the ground as she sighs. Her fists are clenched, like she’s angry just thinking about all this. A part of me is glad that at least (y/n) wasn’t all alone when I was gone. She had a good friend by her side. But anger soon sweeps through me.

 

“I’m not letting this go,” I say almost to myself. Lee Sung Kyung looks at me and I meet her gaze as I repeat, “I’m not. I’m going to catch the culprit myself.”

 

“Look, I know this is probably hard to take in, especially for you,” she starts to say.

 

“I can’t let the bastard who did that to (y/n) get away like this,” I interrupt her and she slowly nods.

 

“Me neither. I’ll help in any way I can,” she offers. I nod and she looks at her phone. “I have to run now,” she starts to get up and I stand up as well.

 

“Thanks. For telling me everything,” I say to her as we walk to the door. She smiles weakly and turns to leave.

 

 

“Is there no way for her memory to come back?” I ask last minute. She faces me and I can’t help but look at her with hopeful eyes. Please.

 

 

LvX9TsO89A7vHZx6lc0NARkpmakocfdxAUA5LOIww7mJuVjA5bk_sT0rU4XKpJQZ8I__kae2tzcTrztJZyinrHeCCn9cuLPVBzpy-nctjEGr_W9vQcKec3Cc8iDe2lUNbDNDC8-O

 

“Well, the doctors say there is a chance,” her answer brings my hopes up and she continues, “But you’ll have to help her.”

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“I don’t know, maybe wear the same clothes you wore back then, or say the things you said to her to bring up the memories again,” she responds. So...do everything all over again? I stop myself from groaning as I’m determined to make (y/n) mine again. Or make her remember she’s mine.

 

“Why am I even helping you like this? You better pay me back,” she scowls and I smile while nodding. She then walks away and I silently thank her again.

 

 

***

 

 

*Back to (y/n)’s perspective*

 

    I try calling Sung Kyung but I guess she’s busy. It’s not unusual for a doctor to be busy, I tell myself. I guess I’ll have to ask about Mr. Kim some other time.

 

    I yawn and I look at the clock. Thanks to Mr. Kim, I got off of work early and now I’m clueless as to how to spend the rest of my evening. My stomach growls and I take that as a sign to go get something to eat. I can’t help but sigh at my empty fridge and grab my coat as I leave the house.

 

The evening breeze blows my hair as I walk down a brightly lit street. I smile as I see couples on dates, kids with their parents, and just random strangers scattered throughout. It’s like I’m lost in some world. And I like it. At least I don’t have to worry about work tomorrow when I’m out here.

 

 

“Hello, Mrs. Ahn,” I say as I walk into my favorite restaurant. It’s been nearly three years since I started coming here regularly, as it’s close by and serves my favorite menu: sushi.

 

“Hello (y/n), how are you?” Mrs. Ahn greets me warmly and I smile.

 

“I’m doing well; what about you?”

 

“Oh the usual,” she laughs before looking around, “It’s our busy hour so I’m afraid you’ll have to share a table with someone. Is that okay?”

 

“Sure, I guess,” I nod and realize how full the restaurant is. I’m glad business is going well for Mrs. Ahn. She starts to walk towards a table to the far left where a man is eating alone. I see them discussing and she must’ve asked if I can join him because the man soon looks at me. I try to smile at him and see him nod. Mrs. Ahn then returns to me with a grin, “Alright, the chair in front of him is yours.”

 

“...” Maybe I should have waited for a seat where I can sit by myself because it’s so awkward sitting across a man I’ve never met while I’m waiting for my food. He hasn’t said a word to me or looked my way; he’s so engrossed in his meal. I eye him, noticing his jet black hair and pale face, his sharp eyes and large hands. All that to say: he’s good looking.

 

“Thank you,” I say as Mrs. Ahn sets a plate of California rolls in front of me. I reach for the chopsticks and quickly mix the wasabi with my soy sauce. As I’m savoring my first roll, I can’t help but smile and reach for a second one right away. It’s always so good. Before I can put the second roll in my mouth, I notice the man in front of me staring at me.

 

 

7gu42ERoaF6CZombs21mRIcoBdoxSR_bAtoCW3wE60lAha_2VMmC4WCC_N-GMaH-u1bdTMd4O-Sql4iOKLkyjObd8lQ2UQj611Q6o_2LHjQk6tV8y2U0zWSZCNVxH3pMkahOgSP_

 

“Are those good?” he asks me as he continues to chew on his own food. His voice is lower than I expected, and I find myself nodding to answer his question.

 

“Yeah, they’re my favorite,” I say as I pop the roll in my mouth. When I glance at him, he’s still staring at me...or my food, I should say. I swallow and stare back at him with a raised eyebrow.

 

“Do you want to try one?” I ask cautiously. His eyes light up as soon as I ask and he nods. I push my plate towards him and he grins before taking one with his own pair of chopsticks.

 

“You’re right, this is tasty,” he finishes chewing and smiles at me.

 

“Glad you like it,” I shrug. I continue eating and the man starts talking to me. What happened to being quiet?

 

“I just moved here, and so it’s my first time at this restaurant,” he begins. I don’t know if I should respond to him so I just nod. He continues, “I didn’t know what to get before, but after trying yours, I think I know what I’m going to get next time.”

 

“Yeah, you should come here often,” I say without thinking. I just want to finish my meal and go home.

 

“Do you come here often?” he asks and I look at him. He looks back at me expectantly and I nod, “Yes.”

 

“Then I’ll come here often too,” he says as he finishes the last of his meal. What is that supposed to mean? Before I can reply, he points at my last roll.

 

“Can I have that?”

 

“Um, sure,” I say and he picks it up without hesitation. I don’t know how to respond to this man. First Mr. Byun, then Mr. Kim, and now this guy. Why is my life filled with such difficult men?

 

 

Z4xk8U24uj7oCTYnhb3pFq1HyCs5aYYmrl1a8VAfTAOH-ayeNSHQ8Pd8HwZxFPMJKVqipJDkZrcGBKmDfEWo3qQlF1qmuVom8eoEHFtGmDxb3N5eEx3aEo6bapCJ2cT_0-ceHt3c  

 

“...” I stare at him as he consumes my last roll and decide to leave. I drink the rest of my water before getting up.

 

“Wait, where are you going?” I turn to find the man grabbing my arm.

 

“I’m done eating so I’m going home,” I say to him, confused as to why he is invading my personal space in the first place. He’s worse than Mr. Byun.

 

“Hold on, I’m almost done too,” he says and I look at him.

 

“I don’t see why I have to wait for you, sir,” I say.

 

“You’ll see why,” he doesn’t let go of my arm as he gets up as well. Huh? He then walks to the front of the restaurant, where the cash register is. Before I realize what’s happening, Mrs. Ahn takes his card. I then walk up to her to pay for my own meal, but she just smiles, “Well I guess you were lucky sitting with that man after all.”

 

“What do you mean?” I glance at the man, who shrugs at me.

 

“He paid for your meal as well,” she whispers with a wink.


    “What?” I glare at the man. He grins and motions for me to follow him outside. I thank Mrs. Ahn before leaving the restaurant.

 

 

“Excuse me, why’d you do that?” I narrow my eyes at him, crossing my arms.

 

“I mean, I ate two of them. And I just wanted to thank you for helping me know what to order next time,” he shrugs and shoves his hands into his pockets before adding, “Those California rolls were outstanding.”

 

“That’s okay,” I say as I hold out bills to pay for my meal. I really don’t understand why this man would pay for me.

 

“Why don’t you keep that and buy me a meal here next time?” he pushes my hand away gently.

 

“Next time?” I shake my head. Uh, I don’t think so.

 

“You said you come here often, right? Now I will too,” he smiles and before I can stop him, he walks to a car parked on the side of the road. He then waves at me before getting in and driving off. What a day, (y/n).

 

 

***

 

 

The next morning I get up to get ready for work. I don’t care if Mr. Kim acts strange today too. I’m not quitting. This job pays well and I need to help alleviate my mom’s hardships. As I scan through my wardrobe I decide to wear pants today. Long ones. And it’s not necessarily because of what Mr. Kim said yesterday.

 

 

“Good morning,” I hear a voice as I wait for the elevators. I turn to see Mr. Byun staring at me. I nod, “Good morning.”

 

“Are you heading to that meeting we have today too?” he asks.

 

“Yes I am,” I answer. I’m trying not to think about how I’m going to face Mr. Kim today.

 

“Then I’ll see you there,” he smiles at me as we get in the elevator. As I reach the tenth floor I take multiple deep breaths before walking to my office. I sit down at my desk and check the time. 8:05 am. I decide to wait a few more minutes before checking in on Mr. Kim to remind him of the meeting he has at 8:30. I wonder if he’s even here.

 

 

“Mr. Kim?” I knock on his door after ten minutes.

 

“Come in,” I hear his voice and I carefully open the door. He’s looking at a couple of files on his desk with his eyebrows furrowed. When I approach his desk, he looks up at me.

 

“Yes?” he asks.

 

“Um,” I clear my throat before going on, “I just want to remind you that we have a meeting in about 15 minutes. Shall we head on over now?”

 

“Sure. Let’s go,” he sets his files down and starts to get up. I find myself following after him and realize I should get the door for him. But before I can open it, he stretches out his arm and pushes it open. He then steps out and holds the door for me.

 

“Come on, Ms. (y/n). We haven’t got much time,” he says as he tilts his head. I nod and and quickly walk out with Mr. Kim right behind me. I can’t help but wonder why he’s acting normal today. No more ‘baby,’ huh?

 

 

“So this month’s stock rates seem to be improving…” the presenter is saying. I yawn and look around the meeting room. A huge, circular table with huge, grey seats fill the room. Mr. Kim sits the farthest from the presentation board, in the center. And I’m sitting with other secretaries along the wall. We’re not part of “the circle,” I guess. I try my best to keep my eyes open but it feels like a truck is sitting on them. No, (y/n), I tell myself. I have to focus. I need to write notes on this meeting to turn into Mr. Kim later. Ugh, why’d I choose to apply for this job when I hate taking notes? I look at Mr. Kim, who is listening to the speaker.

 

 

SgcGCg7XAmYI8IyOsr88fAkIA0Y2P0JT-aRjjD-uHQwOXOadMXdfcroTiH6bRH15JigsgVPc0fjH02dncnQ2UGbwuqBq86Ip1z1U_ZlOI9-JpceIVTiFVAhOYZl6YZFn5nbHMqCA

 

 

    I’ve never seen him so serious before. His head rests on one of his hands, and his face tells me he’s deep in thought. He then eyes the presentation board and continues to his chin.

 

    I turn to my notes and wonder when this meeting is going to end. I’m so tired and it’s only been an hour since I came to work. As another yawn interrupts my thoughts, I glance at the clock before making eye contact with Mr. Byun, who’s sitting on the opposite side of me. He grins at me and slightly waves. I stop yawning immediately and wave back with a sheepish smile. He mouths clearly at me, ‘Hang in there,’ and I nod. He smiles before turning his attention back to the speaker. That makes me realize how I should really pay attention now and unconsciously look at Mr. Kim.

 

 

vzRtRF5Yh7kRfChiTMgJg7eLs43tR4K1Q93e7GWdgot7edVR5ICSIBqp1eFwFPNNfM6t9BdLT3kzLZah_2HOpwUJEAIFgvG_YYgshveoHthga4qNPRN0cfbydqKZRaKF8UufYg9j

 

 

    I shouldn’t have looked. He glares at me briefly before turning his gaze to the ground. This time he’s leaning forward and I’m scared I did something wrong. I decide to pay close attention to the rest of the meeting so that he doesn't yell at me for writing a poor report later.

 

 

    “Alright, let’s end our meeting here,” Mr. Kim stands up and buttons his jacket as he leaves the room. The meeting is finally over. Everyone else gets up as well and I hurry out the door after Mr. Kim. Dang, he walks fast. As soon as we get to our office, Mr. Kim turns to me.

 

 

    “Can I have a report of today’s meeting in about half an hour?” he asks as he opens the door of his office. His face is expressionless.

 

    “Yes sir,” I nod and sit down to get to work right away. Why is he so inconsistent? He was literally a happy bug yesterday, wasn’t he? Or at least much more soft. Wait, why am I even complaining? No, this is how it should be. He’s supposed to be serious.

 

 

    “Mr. Kim, may I come in?” I knock on his door after finishing and printing out my work.

 

    “Yes,” is the answer and I enter. He watches me come in as he sits on his chair.

 

    “Here’s the report for today’s meeting,” I hand him the files. His hands brush against mine as he takes them from me. I flinch. He doesn’t seem to notice as he reads over them.

 

    “Very good,” he slightly smiles and I nod before turning to leave. As I take a step, Mr. Kim’s voice stops me, “Wait. I didn’t say you can leave.”

 

    “...” I face Mr. Kim and wait for him to continue. He stares at me like he’s thinking of what to say and soon opens his mouth.

 

    “I don’t know if I should reward you or scold you, so I’m going to do both,” he says.

 

    “Sorry?” I give him a confused look.

 

    “You listened to me, after all. See? I told you you look good in long pants,” he gives me a smile in return.

 

    “Erm…” I want to tell him otherwise but he cuts me off with a dark expression.

 

    “But who said you can flirt with Byun Baekhyun?” he asks in a gravelly voice. I gulp.

 

    “He’s just someone I know at this place,” I start to say. Mr. Kim looks unconvinced and I shake my head, “Really, he’s not anyone special. Just a fellow worker.“

 

    “Good, ‘cause I don’t want to fire him. He’s a good guy,” he says and I shudder.

 

    “You shouldn’t say that, Mr. Kim,” I face him. Is he threatening to fire him because I “flirted” with him? I didn’t even want to think about the thought of someone getting fired because of me.

 

    “And we shouldn’t be standing here talking like this,” he ignores me and gets up. He then makes his way towards me. What..? Before I realize what’s going on, he grabs my hand and pulls me in for a hug. His strong arms wrap around me and he lays his head on my shoulder.

 

 

    “Mr. Kim,” I warn and try to push him away, but his grip around me tightens.

 

 

    “I know you can’t remember me,” he starts to say. I freeze.

 

What is he trying to say?

 

“And I’m not going to force you to do anything. But please…please just let me love you like this,” he pleads before adding in a slightly trembling voice, “I’ll wait for you to remember me.”

 

    “Okay,” I say without thinking after a pause. It’s clear now that Mr. Kim is definitely someone I knew but forgot about in my four years of highschool.

 

    “Can I still call you ‘baby?’” he breathes in my ear and I want to say no, but something brushes past my mind. A voice.

 

 

    “Can I call you ‘baby?’” a man with dark hair smiles at me. But I can’t see his face.

 

 

    What was that? A memory? I blink, confused as to how I should process that. It could be some dream I had, but it feels so real.

 

    “I’m going to take that as a yes, okay?” Mr. Kim’s voice interrupts my thoughts and I can’t help but think it’s the same voice from the weird flashback I just had.

 

 

***