KAI: Chapter 1

Pink Bubbles

 

*The following content has nothing to do with the actual people. It’s 100% made-up. Plus, if you have a queasy stomach for cheesy material, do not read. Thank you very much.*

 

The bell rings for lunch and immediately the classroom comes to life. I yawn and look to my right, where I see Ollie smiling at me as she yells, “Today’s menu is chicken la! We need to go fast before they run out.”

 

I nod and get up as Ollie jumps up and grabs me by the arm. The two of us then make our way to the cafeteria. It’s only now when my stomach growls. As we’re standing in line, I notice Ollie eyeing the room and I ask her if she’s looking for someone. She shakes her head but says, “I was just wondering where Kai is. He’s supposed to let us know if P.E. is cancelled or not today.”

 

“Oh,” I say blankly and count how many people left in line. Kai, our class president (aka Prince to practically all the girls in our school), is nowhere to be seen. When we finally get our chicken and sit down, Ollie sighs.

 

"What now.”

 

“I can’t believe they ran out of legs. It’s literally the best part!” she grumbles as she stabs her chicken with a fork.

 

“I know right,” I agree half-heartedly. I’m too hungry to care about which chicken part is on my plate.

 

After finishing our meal, we start to make our way back to class. There’s still 5 minutes left of lunch and Ollie asks if I want to go to the snack shack with her. I shake my head and tell her I’ll wait for her in the classroom. She nods and takes off. I turn around and walk back to the classroom. I open the door and see there’s no one inside. I might as well take a two minute nap.

 

 

But something catches my eye as I walk over to my desk. It appears to be a carton of strawberry milk. I pick it up and look around to see if anyone is around, but then I remember there’s no one here. I doubt this is mine though. Maybe someone left it by accident? I hold the milk, not knowing what to do, until I see the back of the carton.

 

To: (y/n)

 

I blink multiple times to make sure I’m seeing correctly. Me? This is for me? I’m so confused but before I can do anything else, the bell rings and my classmates start to trail in, including Kai. He looks at me and then at the milk carton in my hand and goes to his seat on the far side of the room.

 

Okay, I don’t know why, but that dude looks like he’s mad 24/7. Was he warning me not to drink this in class or what? He is our class president, after all. Whatever the case is, I’m lost. I rip open the carton and drink out of it. Gulp. Oh wow, this is good. I smile at how sweet it is and notice Kai staring at me. I raise my eyebrow and he looks away, his ears red.  

 

“Strawberry milk? Where’s that from?” Ollie asks as she sits next to me. Her hands are full of chocolate bars.

 

“I don’t know,” I answer. She stares at me confused, but I’m too busy trying to figure who in the world could have possibly given me this carton of milk. And why.

***

 

Believe it or not, the next day and the day after, I find the same strawberry milk carton on my desk after lunch. Even today, I see one. I’m starting to get frustrated. Ollie insists it’s a secret admirer, but who would secretly admire me? I mean I know I wouldn’t (WHAAA). And I don’t mind getting free milk (this stuff is so good), but still. To make things clear, I decide to ask people if they knew who was feeding me milk these days.

 

I go around the room and ask my classmates if they saw anyone put the carton on my desk. I feel so weird asking people this because it seems like I’m bragging or something. But everyone I ask is giving me the same, disappointing answer: “Sorry, but no.” I begin to give up and see that I have just enough time to go to the bathroom. I walk to the door but accidentally bang into someone.

 

 

“...”

 

 

“Sorry!” I look up to see who I’m apologizing to. I wish I hadn’t. It’s Kai. And he looks mad, as always. AND he’s staring at the carton of milk in my hand.

 

naevIwaIwR4QOYqr1YU1Ei1w_r9CJCuUwFZ0CMUeOAEsG5p8Wf1zDVA2LtL_BDB9n_SeqKbhFDsG-dF5DO-msht3CjF1OJWQLhUsN01wzHZIFequ6ySTSfcTLefI3a8UTxcJeXbx

 

“...”

 

“Uh don’t worry! I’m not going to drink this in class,” I assure him, remembering his look when I drank it the first time. He stares at me blankly and then I realize I haven’t asked him if he knew who was giving me these yet. I take a deep breath and avert my eyes before I ask, “Um...do you, by any chance, know who keeps putting milk on my desk?”

 

“...”

 

Oh my goodness what have I done. (y/n), you’re not supposed to ask the class president anything stupid. But at the same time, this is important to me. It isn’t STUPID. I need to know. I look up and see that Kai is looking down at me. His big brown eyes flutter slightly, and his cheeks are a light pink. Does he have fever? He says nothing though. Gosh, if he weren’t so handsome I’d be annoyed at his silence. I decide he’s not going to answer so I say, “Never mind,” and start to walk out the door.

 

“Yeah.”

 

I stop.

 

Huh? What was that? I look back at Kai and he gazes into my eyes. Er…

 

“I know who put that milk carton on your desk,” he repeats.

 

“You do? Who?” I ask eagerly, up in his face. Kai steps back, not meeting my eyes. His ears are starting to turn red.

 

“I don’t think I can tell you ‘cause he wants to keep it a secret. Sorry,” he bites his lip and quickly walks to his seat just as the bell rings. Great. Now I can’t even go to the bathroom and I gained nothing from this conversation except for the fact that Kai must really hate me.

 

 

***    

 

I sit on my bed at home and look at the finished milk carton. ‘To: (y/n).’ Whose handwriting is this? It’s neat and straight. I gasp. Is it a girl’s handwriting? No, Kai said ‘he,’ remember? I shake the idea off when my phone rings. I look only to find a spam message. Ugh. I decide to go into facebook to see how much fun the rest of the world is having without me. As I scroll through my feed, I stop at one particular post.

 

 

    “...”

 

fanfic용.JPG

 

Oh my goodness what is this? And first of all, how popular are these guys? Over seven hundred likes and even their comments get more attention than all of my posts combined. Well I mean, Kai and his click, Baekhyun and Sehun, are well-known even outside of school, but dang… even our school’s most popular girls commented on this. Must be serious.

 

Wait a minute. Kai has a crush on someone? In our school? Who could it be? I mean, if she can make Kai, whom I have never seen happy, smile like that, she must be super special. Just as I thought someone had a crush on me, I see another one-sided love happening through facebook. But who would even reject someone like Kai? And why won’t he tell me who left me the milk? I close my eyes, feeling even worse.

 

 

When I open my eyes, I see that it’s 7:15 pm. I groan, realizing I fell asleep. I walk out to get a drink of water and see mom cooking.

 

“Look who finally decided to wake up. (y/n), don’t you even have homework to do? You’re in high school. You should be studying.”

 

“Forget telling her. It’s her fault if she ends up homeless.” I glare at my brother, who is dressed in his usual baggy shirt and sweatpants. He has one leg propped up against the arm of our couch and one hand on the remote as he watches TV. That clearly doesn’t stop him from saying poop about me. He’s so annoying.

 

“Oh yeah, Mr. Senior? I think you should be the one studying. Mom, look at him!” I yell, but mom just continues frying the vegetables in her pan.

 

When I stare at her for a response, she only says, “(y/n), stop yapping and go buy me some peeled garlics and a dozen eggs, will you?” When I don’t budge she adds, “If you’re not gonna study you might as well go!”

 

Why is it always me that has to run errands when that Suho (my brother) just chills, watching TV? I guess I can’t say anything more since I took a nap for more than I should have, so I finally decide to obey. I realize I’m still wearing my uniform so I quietly get changed into joggers and a T-shirt before walking out.

 

***