Ch 21

Right Here
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Ah,” Jooyoung laughed nervously. “I am grateful for you too.”

Jooyoung and Chaeyoung ended the conversation and laid down on their respective beds to rest. Jooyoung could not stop thinking about Chaeyoung’s answer. He wanted something more than friends. Something that could never break their bond despite being far away from each other. 

Chaeyoung tossed and turned in her sleep. There were so many things weighing on her head. She wondered what life has in store for her when she gets back to Korea. At the same time, she thought of the people she had left behind when she came over to Singapore. Can things be the same when she gets back home?

Meanwhile, Chaeyoung’s and Jooyoung’s father prepared their sleeping area in the living room together. Lying down on the sofa, Chaeyoung’s father brought up the topic about Jooyoung’s Aunt. When Jooyoung talked about his father, Mr Park had his suspicions. Only when he saw the photo of Jooyoung’s aunt when she was younger that all his suspicions turned out to be right. The Aunt in the picture was none other than Chaeyoung’s mother. 

All these years, Mr Park had always felt upset whenever he noticed his wife feeling down. She had left her only family just to be together with him. On days when he was home, he would see her secretly wept while looking over old photos. However, he had never asked her about it knowing that she did not like to be asked about the past. 

Jooyoung’s father turned off the lights and went to lie down on the mattress next to Chaeyoung’s father. After much hesitation, Chaeyoung’s father spoke. “I heard that Jooyoung wanted to help you find your sister.” Mr Kim was genuinely surprised, “He told you so?” Mr Park nodded, “You have a great son. He wanted to repay your sacrifices so he sought my help to find your sister.” 

“That child.” Mr Kim laughed, “Doesn’t he know that the world is big. How is he going to find one woman based on a childhood photo. Furthermore, Korea is not as small as Singapore. It’s like a needle in a haystack.”

“You’ll be surprised by how small the world actually is.” Mr Park laughed. Mr Kim did not know what he meant but laughed along anyways. The duo went to sleep after endless conversation about their children. 

The following morning, Mr and Mrs Park prepared breakfast together for everybody. The loud noises coming from the juice blender woke Mr Kim up. He went to fold the blankets before going to the toilet to wash himself. After he was done, he went into the kitchen to help out but everything was already laid out on the dining table. 

“Wow, what a spread. Why didn’t you wake me up? I would love to help.” Said Mr Kim as he helped to arrange dishes for more spaces. Mrs Park took out her apron and hung it inside the kitchen, “My husband woke me up this morning too. He insisted that I cook dumplings. We made this from scratch. Hope you like it.” Mr Kim went to Chaeyoung’s room to wake everybody up. 

Within minutes, everyone was already on the dining table ready to eat breakfast together. Mr Park scooped up some dumplings and put them in Mr Kim’s bowl, “Try it. Does it taste the same as before?” Everyone was confused. “Same as before?” Chaeyoung asked. Mr Kim took a bite of the dumpling and burst into tears, “This taste..” His voice trailed off. 

“Hyung-him,” Mr Park pushed his chair away and knelt down. “I apologise for not being able to convince Minyoung to look for you back then.” Mr Kim stood up from his seat in shock, “What.. What do you mean? Stand up first.” He helped Mr Park to stand up. Mr Park held his wife’s hand and took Mr Kim’s hand, “She’s the sister you have been looking for all your life.” 

“WHAT?!” Chaeyoung, Jiyong and Jooyoung shouted in unison. Mrs Park was in confusion, “What do you mean by this?” Mr Park looked at her in the eyes and nodded, “He’s really your brother. I’ll explain everything.”

Mr Park explained how he had gone to meet Jooyoung’s father to ask him to entrust his sister to him. However, the robbery happened. Without thinking much, Chaeyoung’s father went to his aid but ended up in a mishap. In the hospital, Chaeyoung’s mother overheard the conversation that had nothing to do with the mishap. Being young and stubborn, she decided to leave without bidding goodbye. 

The both of them got married afterwards in a small town, and gave birth to Jiyong a year later. Her stubbornness cost her a couple of years. When Chaeyoung was born, she was finally ready to go back and apologise for her rash decisions. It was all too late. The neighbourhood they used to live in had long been deserted. She carried this regret for a couple of decades. 

Mr Park apologised to Mr Kim again for not being able to find him sooner. Mr Kim shed a tear, “I should apologise too. If I had waited for a little longer, maybe we could have reunited earlier.” He explained his part of the story about how his family had run into problems after problems. Coming to Singapore was a way for him to start anew. By doing this, he would not think about his late wife as often as before and can provide a better life for Jooyoung. 

Chaeyoung’s mother stood up from her chair and knelt down in front of her brother, begging for his forgiveness. “I should have curb my temper then. If I was there, maybe I could help with your problems. We are siblings. I should not have.” Cried Mrs Park. Mr Kim wiped her tears with his bare hands, “It’s all destined. I don’t blame anyone. I am just happy that we can reunite once again.” 

While the parents hugged each other in tears, the children took a bite of their breakfast with a wide smile on their face. “Is it fate that we became classmates?” Jooyoung asked Chaeyoung. Chaeyoung shrugged, “Is that why we are able to click very well?” Jiyong patted their backs, “Whatever it is, from today onwards, this family shall not break anymore.”

That afternoon, both families went out together to shop for more things to bring back to Korea. Chaeyoung had never expected that her trip to Singapore ended up with her bringing back not just a friend to remember, but a cousin and a biological uncle. After circling the mall for hours, they decided to take a rest to have some teas and snacks. 

Mrs Park put down her cup on the table and turned to Jooyoung, “Since you have graduated, what about going to Korea and let Imo’s kids bring you out for a tour?” Jooyoung shifted his whole body to turn and face his Aunt, “Can I? I’ve always wanted to. Chaeyoung always bragged about her neighbourhood. It made me want to see it for myself but you’ll have to ask my dad about it.” He whispered the last sentence but was loud enough for everybody to hear it. 

“I am not stopping you from going. You can go ahead.” Mr Kim raised his glass and took a sip, “Just don’t forget to book a ticket for two. You should not leave this old man alone here. I, too, want to see how my sister has been living for the past years.” Jooyoung laughed, “Alright, alright. I will definitely bring you.”

Few days later, Chaeyoung had returned to Korea along with her family and Jooyoung’s. After resting at home for a day, Chaeyoung decided to visit the cemetery. Jooyoung stayed at home after being told by Jiyong that she would not wish for anybody to follow for this trip. Jiyong knew Chaeyoung would never be able to tell Jooyoung about late Junghoon so he decided to tell instead. 

Chaeyoung bought late Junghoon’s flowers and headed to the cemetery. She trudged to reach the top of the mountains to find his grave. Putting the flowers on his grave, she sat down next to it. Using her wet wipes, she wiped his picture. “I’m sorry for not being able to visit you earlier.” She sighed, “I never thought I would make it this far too. I’ve finally graduated. You said we should take pictures together and you’ll bring flowers for me. Isn’t it funny how I am bringing flowers to you instead?” 

Chaeyoung stared at his picture, “It’s alright. I don’t blame you anymore. I’ve come to terms about it. Anyways, I have an uncle now. My mother found her brother after years. They lost contact because of a misunderstanding. His son happens to be my closest friend in Singapore. The world is so small. I was actually wondering if I should look for him now.”

She watches the bird flying across the mountains while hugging her knees. “What if there was a misunderstanding in between? Looking at my mum and his brother makes me afraid. I am afraid I would end up that way too. Should I look for him?” 

“Look for who?” A voice asked from afar. It was Jongin. “Nobody. What are you doing here?” Chaeyoung asked, although she knew the answer. Jongin sat down next to her, “Everyone knows where you are. You know I can never leave you alone with my brother. So, here I am.” Jongin brought a bouquet and gave it to Chaeyoung.

Chaeyoung was about to put the flowers on the grave when Jongin pulled her back, “You’ve already brought him flowers! This one is yours! Happy graduation!” Chaeyoung chuckled, “Sorry and thanks. Is this a way of letting your brother know that you’re treating me well?” Jongin snorted, “I don’t have to d

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter