Ch 20

Right Here
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The light shining in the empty street was accompanied by loud cricket sounds. Chaeyoung picked up her pace and briskly walked back to her apartment. She slipped her hand in her pocket for her keys and slid it into the door before turning the knob. It’s been years but she would still trip over the mini stairs.

Jiyong came out from the kitchen, “Chaeyoung, you’re home?” Chaeyoung struggled to find the light switch and turned it on, “You scared me. Why aren’t you asleep yet?” She turned to keep her shoes before locking the doors. Jiyong held on to his glass of water and sat on the sofa. “I can’t sleep in a new environment. Do you always reach home this late when you’re alone?”

Chaeyoung nodded, taking off her bag before plopping herself onto the sofa next to Jiyong. Jiyong put his glass on the table and put his legs up on the sofa, “are you not scared of crimes that could happen to you when you’re alone?! What about Jooyoung? Why didn’t he send you home?” Chaeyoung sighed, “I’ve been living in this apartment for the past few years alone and I am fine. This area is pretty safe. Also, I told Jooyoung I’m going home first. I have to prepare for graduation.”

Jiyong sensed something was wrong. “Did something happen tonight? You don’t seem like yourself.” Chaeyoung shook her head, “It’s nothing.” Jiyong scooted closer to her and looked at her. “Whenever you’re lying, you’re always looking everywhere but the person you’re talking to.”  Chaeyoung bit her lips nervously, “It’s nothing.”

“It must be that dude. Not Jooyoung but Taehyung.” said Jiyong. Chaeyoung put up both her legs and turned her whole body to face Jiyong, “How did you know?!” Jiyong smirked, “I am your brother. Now, tell me what happened. I’m not surprised that you know them since you worked at Jongin’s company but I am surprised you guys seemed close.” 

“Well,” Chaeyoung swallowed her saliva. “I’ve gotten closer to them because of the activities I did while I was interning. Today I lied to them about my identity because I didn’t want to be associated with them anymore.” Jiyong was confused, “Many people are dying to know them personally. Why would you not want to be associated with them?”

Chaeyoung had her eyes looking on the floor. She hesitated to say something. Jiyong waited patiently for an answer. “Because being with them reminds me of Junghoon oppa. He could’ve been somebody famous too.” Chaeyoung’s voice cracked a little. “Every time I see them, my mind unknowingly goes back to the past and I’ll feel sad all over again. He could’ve been here tomorrow too to witness my graduation. He could’ve been…I miss him.”

Jiyong put his arm over Chaeyoung’s shoulder and pulled her in for a hug. “Cry… it out. I miss him too.” Said Jiyong, almost whispering. This was the first time Chaeyoung cried on his chest ever since that fateful day. Their relationship hasn’t been very close to be doing this because of their personality. Jiyong has been trying to change that. He was glad his own sister would find him for comfort one day.

“What if the same thing happens again?” Chaeyoung asked, head still on his chest. “I get close to someone, they disappear from the face of the Earth. I hate that feeling.”

Jiyong patted her back, “I want you to know, everyone is different in their own ways. Although they reminded you of someone else, they are them. Can you imagine how saddened they would feel if they knew you had purposely pushed them away as friends? They had done nothing wrong. Imagine someone doing that to you, won’t you feel horrible?”  

Chaeyoung thought of it carefully. Jiyong was right but she cannot help but feel scared. She did not even leave Taehyung any form of contact. She just wanted a peaceful life without the expense of hurting others. 

It was three in the afternoon. It was yet another day but it also marks the end of Chaeyoung's life as a student in Singapore. Everyone strolled in the school compound wearing their graduation robe. While the Park family waited outside, Chaeyoung went into the washroom. She stood in front of the mirror for a long time before putting on her graduation robe. “I can’t believe the day is finally here. Do you feel sad, Chaeyoung?” A student came out from one of the cubicles and walked to the sink area. “It hasn’t really hit me yet. Mixed feelings.” Smiled Chaeyoung. “I’ll see you in the hall later!” The student waved and left the washroom. 

Chaeyoung applied her lipstick and went out of the washroom right after. When she went out of the washroom, Jooyoung was waiting outside for her with a bouquet of flowers. “ConGRADUATIONS!!” Screamed Jooyoung from afar, waving the bouquet. Chaeyoung ran to him and grabbed the bouquet from him. “THANK YOU!! Happy graduation to you too!!” Chaeyoung pouted, “I’m sorry. I didn’t prepare anything for you.” Jooyoung could not hide his disappointment, “It’s alright. I am fine.” Chaeyoung chuckled, “I was just kidding. Your gift is with my parents. They are waiting for me outside the auditorium.” Jooyoung giggled, “I knew you won’t disappoint.” Chaeyoung brought Jooyoung to where her parents and Jiyong were. 

Mr Park started to tear when she saw Chaeyoung wearing her graduation robe from afar. Jiyong laughed, “Eomma, I think Appa thinks he is marrying his daughter off.” Mrs Park took out a tissue paper and handed it to her husband, “If you don’t find it embarrassing, I do.” Chuckled Mrs Park. Chaeyoung pulled Jooyoung to the front and reintroduced him again to her family, “I believe you guys have met Jooyoung. My only good friend here.” Mrs Park took out a chocolate bouquet and passed it to Jooyoung. “Here, Chaeyoung had prepared this for you. Congratulations, my child.” Jooyoung took the bouquet and scratched his head in embarrassment, “Thank you.” 

Chaeyoung hit his arm with her fist, “I’m more creative than you are, aren’t I? A handmade chocolate bouquet!” Jooyoung nodded, “Yes yes, you are.” Mr Park looked around before turning back to Jooyoung, “I heard you live in Singapore with your father. Has he not arrived yet?” Jooyoung shook his head, “He won’t be coming. Unfortunately, he has an important meeting that he cannot postpone. We are going to celebrate tonight.”

“How about coming over to our house to celebrate? We were planning to celebrate at home anyways. ” Jiyong asked. Mr Park looked at his son warily. “I believe our beloved Ahjussi won’t object to it, right?” Jiyong put his arm over his dad’s shoulders. Mr Park coughed out of awkwardness, “Sure. Make sure to bring your dad along later. Let’s go in.” Jiyong and Chaeyoung high-fived each other, “I knew my Appa is the best.” Jooyoung bowed, “We’ll be there tonight.” 

Jooyoung and Chaeyoung entered the auditorium separately after registering their name with the student councils. They entered the cold space feeling nervous. Despite spending three years in school, it was the second time they entered the auditorium. First time during orientation, second and the last time on their graduation day. Sitting in the same venue with different feelings. 

Chaeyoung looked at her slip of paper and went to look for her seat, “Your seat should be right over there. What a pity, our initials are different.” Jooyoung rubbed the top of Chaeyoung’s head, “It’s alright. Not like we will not meet again later. I’ll see you outside later.” Jooyoung and Chaeyoung went to their respective seats. Everyone near Chaeyoung seemed to know one another very well and chatted heartily. Chaeyoung barely made any friends that she would want to meet again even after graduation. While waiting for the event to start, she ended up staring into space. 

Just then, Jooyoung sent her a message. 

Look to your right. It’s your eyecandy. - Jooyoung

Chaeyoung turned to the right as told and chuckled. A tall, smart looking guy from another class sat two seats next to her. His hair was brushed to the front, just Chaeyoung’s style. “My life as a student is not that bad after all.” She thought. Jooyoung caught Chaeyoung looking at the guy once and would not stop teasing her about it. 

Chaeyoung's squirmed in her seat out of discomfort. Luckily, the event began. After what felt like a long speech by the school’s director, a video was played on the screen. Memories made throughout the three years were shown. Chaeyoung could barely remember anything that was shown. All she cared about was getting the certificate and leaving Singapore for good. That was until she met Jooyoung. 

The event finally moved on to the final segment which was the award giving ceremony. Chaeyoung stood below the stage waiting for her turn to go up and receive her award. That was when she really felt that everything was going to be over. She watched her schoolmates going up one by one while the audiences clapped their hands to celebrate their success. It felt surreal. When her name was called, she took a deep breath and walked over confidently to the award giver. Everything was over within a minute. 

The Park family waited for Chaeyoung and Jooyoung outside for a picture together. After a round of photos with the family, Jooyoung and Chaeyoung took a picture together for the first time ever. Both of them had no clue on how to pose for a picture together. They stood

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter