Ch 17

Right Here
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

After about an hour and a half, they finally moved from the dining table to the living room. Mr Kim invited Chaeyoung to browse some old photos from his days and even showed embarrassing photos of Jooyoung. Jooyoung had already thrown a white towel. He knew he cannot escape anyways since a lot of his photos were displayed everywhere in the house. Jooyoung left to take more drinks.

Being a dedicated husband, Mr Kim had an album specifically filled with his late wife’s photo. Chaeyoung could tell that he loved her a lot by how he had delicately pasted the photos and took care of it as if it was printed recently. Mr Kim fondly reminisced about the past but he choked when he started talking about his sister. The aunt Jooyoung had talked about previously.

Before Chaeyoung could even see her photo, Mr Kim closed the photo album immediately. “I am sorry for asking. What happened between the both of you? If it is too personal, I apologise again. ” Chaeyoung carefully asked. 

Mr Kim shook his head, “It’s alright. It was just a misunderstanding actually. Our parents had passed away young. We only had each other to rely on. She was the school’s beauty with many guys chasing after her. Then she fell in love with this guy. I’ve never approved of him being with her because of their .”

“How big of an was that?” 

“Five years.” 

“Five years!? I thought you meant 10 years or 20?!” Chaeyoung was taken aback. “Even my dad is five years older than my mother!”

“He is older than I am by a year! What was I supposed to call him when they got married? Hyung?” Mr Kim looked at her in disbelief. Chaeyoung paused for a moment, and then burst out laughing. “I guess you are right. Please continue.”

Mr Kim took a sip of his water and laid his back on the sofa. “They dated for a while. I’m her older brother. It is only natural that I get worried over her. When she graduated, she told me she wanted to marry him. I was furious, of course.” 

“Did she elope after that?” 

“Be patient with my story. I had definitely disagreed. I told her that she was not going anywhere. Jooyoung’s mum told me to take it slow but I was…”

“Stubborn.” Chaeyoung continued his words. Mr Kim turned quiet for a second. Chaeyoung fiddled with her glass, “I would have thought the same too.” 

Jooyoung came over with a jug filled with water. “You’re the first person to ever complete his sentence. Daring, I must say.” Jooyoung sat down next to Chaeyoung and filled her glass. “Am I? Sorry, I was just mad too. They were in love, why would you want to ground her over a 5 years gap relationship?”

Mr Kim sighed, “I didn’t want to admit that. Anyways, back to my story. I tried all ways to separate them but they managed to defeat all odds and get together. One day, I was already leaning towards the idea of letting them be. Then, that’s when the misunderstanding happened.” 

Both Jooyoung and Chaeyoung held a pillow each and scooted closer to Mr Kim. Chaeyoung looked at Jooyoung in confusion, “Shouldn’t you have listened to this story a millionth times?” Jooyoung pushed Chaeyoung aside and sat exactly in between the two of them. “I’ve never been this interested before. Since you guys were talking about this, might as well!”

“Kids,” Mr Kim laughed in amusement. “Well, I eventually came around with the idea of accepting him as my brother-in-law. One day, I asked him out to have a chat. You know, it’s a normal thing but something bad happened that day. On his way to meet me, just like a movie, I was robbed.”

“So, he came and saved you like a damsel in distress?” Chaeyoung interrupted. Jooyoung hit her head, “does my dad look like a damsel to you?” Chaeyoung cheekily nodded. Jooyoung glared. 

“I am definitely not one but yes he saved me. I was still working at a production company then. I was on the phone with one of my colleagues about using a dummy to be stabbed.”

“How dramatic.” Jooyoung butted in this time. “Did she overheard you talking about that and assumed you called someone to stab him?” Mr Kim nodded, much to their surprise. Chaeyoung gasped, “Really dramatic. Didn’t you explain?” 

“She confronted me. I tried to explain everything but she did not want to listen to me. Jooyoung’s mother told me to come over the next day when she is more calmed. However, when I came over the next day, I found out they moved him to other Hospitals. And yes, she eloped.”

“Is there even a need to do so?” Jooyoung asked. Mr Kim shrugged, “I should not have listened to your mum and stayed still. I’ve been searching for her for years but to no avail. Maybe she is really mad at me.” Mr Kim took his glass and walked to the kitchen. 

Jooyoung and Chaeyoung did not probe any further when they realised how sad Mr Kim sounded. Given a chance, Chaeyoung had wanted to find his sister for him. Chaeyoung told Jooyoung to take out the photo of his aunt. They could hear footsteps approaching them. Worried, Jooyoung grabbed Chaeyoung’s phone and took a photo in a haste. 

Mr Kim came back to apologise. Chaeyoung stood up, “No, no. It’s alright. It was my fault that you had to bring up about the past.” Mr Kim smiled, “I would like to thank you for that. Jooyoung never likes listening to my stories. It’s all because of you, I get to share them.”

“No worries, Jooyoung will listen to you from now on. Right?” Chaeyoung stepped on his foot lightly, earning a glare from Jooyoung. “T..that’s right.” Jooyoung forced a laugh. Chaeyoung chuckled and went towards Mr Kim. “Thank you for your hospitality. I really have to get going now since it is late. I appreciate it a lot.” 

“Let Jooyoung send you back. I will see you again during your graduations. I will come with a big bouquet for you.” Mr Kim said with a fatherly smile. Chaeyoung bid Mr Kim goodbye and left to board Jooyoung’s car. In the car, Jooyoung started laughing out of nowhere. Chaeyoung watched him. 

“Maybe I should take the taxi and leave? I don’t want to be sitting in the car with a looney.” Chaeyoung’s hands were ready to unfasten her seatbelt. Jooyoung stopped her, “No, I just wanted to ask you. How was it meeting your future father-in-law? You seem to be really good at talking with old people.” Chaeyoung hit the back of his head, “You’re going home with a lot of bruises tonight for saying nonsense.” Jooyoung retaliated and playfully smacked her back. Chaeyoung wanted to hit back but Jooyoung dodged it well, “Let’s go home, my love!”

That night, Chaeyoung felt a little lonely. Apart from Jooyoung, Chaeyoung never made any long-term friends from her years in Singapore. Maybe because of her personality but well, any friendships made here are meant to be a long distance friendship anyways. While she was all snuggled up on her bed, she took out her phone to browse for a while. Knowing BTS’s new music video is now out, she decided to watch it. Chaeyoung was puzzled. It was unlike their usual comeback with powerful choreography. It was a ballad. Only when she scrolled down to the comments section that she realised it was not the title song. 

Jungkook oppa’s songwriting skills improved so much!

 

That particular comment attracted Chaeyoung’s attention. “Jungkook can write a song?” She muttered. She scrolled further and found tons of comments repeating the same thing. Chaeyoung was amazed. Since when he was this great? She laughed when she saw how everyone acted in the music video when she clearly knew they are not like that in real life. 

Watching Taehyung’s scene was slightly hard for her. She remembered how Taehyung took the effort to make friends with her. Guilt started creeping in. Was it a right move to delete everyone off her life just like that? She took the opportunity to leave a positive comment on the music video before drifting off to sleep. 

Loud music could be heard from afar as if there was a concert going on in the company. Yerin entered the practice room with a carton of bottled drinks. At the same, seven sweaty boys had just finished their last practice of the day. Jimin turned off the song while everyone laid flat on the floor. Everyone was too tired to care about Yerin who was standing near the door with her arms folded. 

“I bought drinks for you to replenish your energy.” She tugged the ends of the carton closer to the boys. All of them immediately stood up and took a bottle and left the room without a word. “How ungrateful.” She said out loud. Just then, Jungkook came back. Yerin’s eyes lit up, “were you waiting for me?”

Jungkook rolled his eyes, “I came back for this.” Jungkook took his phone that was charging at the corner of the room. Before he could leave, Yerin closed the door.“What’s the rush?”

She guarded the door with her whole body but Jungkook was strong enough to push her away without exerting any strength. Yerin staggered.  “Do you have to be that harsh?” Jungkook ignored her and continued walking. Yerin winced, and followed him out. “I’m telling you. From now on, I am one of the managers too. You guys

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter