Ch 14

Right Here
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Hyosin knocked on Jungkook’s door but he never answered. Hyosin opened the door to find Jungkook staring at a letter on his hands. “What is that?” he asked. Jungkook passed the letter to Hyosin and lied down on his bed, “She is leaving soon. What does that make the two of us? She had never told me she was leaving” Hyosin scanned through the letter and got the gist of it, “It’s a sign for you to let go. This is a letter meant for Jungkook and not Junghoon, isn’t it?” 

Jungkook kept silent. “Look,” Hyosin sat next to him. “This relationship won’t go anywhere anyways. She didn't even tell you, her boyfriend, that she is leaving. Just leave this relationship.” Jungkook sat up straight, “Maybe it was too sudden. Maybe she has not got a chance to talk to me. That’s why…” his voice trailed off. “That’s why she wants to meet tomorrow. Just to tell me..”

“Don’t you think she has a different agenda? She had the entire time to tell you even through a text that she will be leaving at a specific date. Why would she suddenly confess and leave you hanging? She is not worth the time!” Hyosin scolded, but nothing went in Jungkook’s ear. 

That night, Chaeyoung rested on her bed after an eventful day. She was so grateful for all the things that happened today. She was glad that she decided to bring the gifts to the office earlier. How awkward would that have been if she came empty handed when everyone was showering her with farewell gifts. Her mind wandered to the conversation she had with Jungkook earlier on. 

Chaeyoung had decided to write what she truly felt on the letters she gave out after all, “we will never see each other again after this.” She cannot deny that she felt uneasy having to do that on her possibly last meeting with him but it was fated. It was not a big matter at first until she thought of Junghoon. Jungkook’s reaction was a little what she had expected but she cannot seem to imagine what kind of reaction Junghoon might have. 

“Do I really understand him?” she hugged her pillows, staring at the ceiling. “Will he think that I am playing with him?” Chaeyoung shrugged and slept it off. She will have to meet him tomorrow no matter what  anyways. 

Chaeyoung and Junghoon agreed to meet up at a movie theatre that night since her workplace is nearby the theatre. Junghoon arrived first, all dressed up with a bouquet of flowers to give to Chaeyoung. “It’s our first date, a bouquet is a must.” he smiled sheepishly. Junghoon kept telling  himself to refrain from asking Chaeyoung about her leaving soon. He told himself to listen to what she has to say first. 

Chaeyoung arrived a few minutes later wearing her work outfit. She did not have time to change to a better outfit so she just touched up on her makeup. Junghoon waved enthusiastically to Chaeyoung who was running to Junghoon. “Sorry, I am late.” she apologised. Junghoon shook his head, “Your watch is just fast. Here’s for you.” His eyes lit up as he handed her the bouquet of flowers. 

Chaeyoung smiled and thanked him. “Let’s go in,” Junghoon said, pulling Chaeyoung’s hand. “Wait, I have something to say.” Chaeyoung pulled him back. Junghoon knew what she was going to bring up but decided to stop her. “We will talk over supper.” Junghoon pulled her again to the cinema. This time, Chaeyoung did not stop him. She decided that maybe it is a better time to enjoy a single date before dropping the bomb. 

In the cinema, Chaeyoung and Junghoon sat in the middle. A man made his entrance known from the start with his loud voice and sat right next to Chaeyoung. The place was pitched dark but it was good enough to notice how gangster-looking the guy was. Out of all people, he had to sit right next to them. The movie finally started and everyone’s eyes were fixated on the screen. Junghoon had chosen a romantic comedy for the date. While everyone else was laughing at how silly the male lead was, Junghoon had his hands clutch together. His head was filled with endless questions like, “what if Chaeyoung decides to break up?” or “what if she says that she has never loved me?”. 

Chaeyoung stole glances at him every once in a while and noticed how stressed out Junghoon looked. Chaeyoung took a deep breath and pretended she did not see that and continued watching the movie. Just then, she felt a hand on her thigh. She made eye contact with the owner of the hand, it was the man next to her. “Oops, sorry. I thought this was my drink.” He sheepishly grinned, slowly pulling his hands away from her.

Shivers ran down her body as she recalled what had happened recently. It felt exactly the same, the nervousness, slow yet heavy breathing. Her palm started to feel sticky. She held a piece of her jacket tightly, hoping it was not what she thought it was. True to her suspicions, the man tried to make his moves again. She squirmed in her seat, not knowing what to do. Part of her wants to scream but she is in a public space after all. The man could easily deny it, especially in a dark place. 

Junghoon stood up, pretending to leave for the toilet. He had to pass by Chaeyoung first before being able to exit. On his way out, he clenched his fist. Slowly, he pulled Chaeyoung by the arms with the other hand and he landed a punch on the man’s face.  Startled by the sudden mess, Chaeyoung pushed Junghoon away before things got out of hand. The man stood up, ready to chase after them but was stopped by the other guy who came along with him. “We’ll get them soon.” He snickered.  

“You can stop pulling me now.” Chaeyoung tried to loosen the grip. Junghoon continued walking as fast as he could. His face was red, possibly because of the cold but he was furious at the same time. “Junghoon, you really can stop now.” Junghoon paused his tracks. They were standing outside the mall, in the cold. People were walking in and out of the mall, passing by them.  “Are you dumb?” He turned to look at Chaeyoung in the eye. “That man was harbouring ill intentions toward you. How could you not do anything?!” His voice got louder by the second. 

“I-” Chaeyoung was speechless. She looked at Junghoon whose eyes had an unkindly expression, unlike the Junghoon she hung out with thrice. His expression scared her. “What was I supposed to do?” 

“I don’t know. SHOUT AT HIM?!” he yelled. 

Chaeyoung was lost. Why is he getting mad at her? Tears welled up in her eyes. “Honestly, I think that is none of your business.”

Junghoon was taken aback. “What do you mean it’s none of my business? He was harassing you! It’s not even the first time that this has happened!” he continued yelling, gaining stares from onlookers. “Ahhh,” he slid his hands into his pockets. “Of course. It is none of my business. Who am I right?”  Junghoon recalled how she did not even tell him about her leaving. It only fueled his anger. “Just like how you did not tell me you are leaving this country soon. I’m just a fool in your eyes.”

Chaeyoung was dumbfounded, “H-how did you know?” She felt a lump on , preventing her from asking further. “I guess I was never in your heart.” Junghoon furiously leaves the place, leaving a confused Chaeyoung standing alone outside the entrance. 

Junghoon found himself walking back to where he had parked his car. He opened the car’s door just to slam the door close once again. “Was I wrong to do that?” He groans in frustration. “I was just trying to protect her.” Junghoon recalled how sad Chaeyoung looked when he yelled at her. Guilt started to creep into his heart. “Maybe I was wrong.” Junghoon locked his door and rushed back to the mall to find her but to no avail. “Did she leave?” he thought. 

He left the mall in disappointment when he did not spot Chaeyoung around. He decided to try his luck, in the hope that she might still be hanging around somewhere nearby, possibly hailing a taxi or waiting for a bus. He walked around, searching for her, but instead, something else caught his eye. He bent down to realise it was the jacket Chaeyoung had worn earlier on in the theatres but she was nowhere to be found. Junghoon started to panic. Not even a single soul was in sight. Where could Chaeyoung have gone? “Did she throw this here in anger or is she in danger?” he wondered. Junghoon hurriedly took out his phone, and tried reaching Chaeyoung through her mobile phone. However, nobody answered. 

He continued to dial her number, in the hope that she would pick up to say she is fine. After what felt like an eternity, the call went through. “Chaeyoung, I’m sorry. Where are you?” he frantically apologised but the other party was silent. “Hello?” he continued to say. “Are you okay?” Junghoon was nervous. 

“You must be that little lover from just now, aren’t you?” a man’s voice answered. That voice was enough to send chills down his spine. “Who are you?” Junghoon asked. “For someone who is as young as you, you have such a bad memory, don’t you? We just met earlier on.  I’m pretty sure your fist must be hurting after coming into contact with my skull.” the man replied. It did not take long for Junghoon to

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter