Chapter 9

The star in the dark night

Smile flourish on my face, I feel very happy, the spirit to work Rain!

I my cheek where Irene kissed me last night.

I'm ready in front of the cashier, today why the clock is slow to spin, waiting for Irene and her friends to come. Ughm ... at four o'clock passed, they were invisible. I became restless, because the cafe rules, staff should not hold the phone while working, now make me hate the rules. I have to wait after I finish work. And until the cafe closes, Irene does not come.

After work, I hastily my cell phone. Waiting for a few minutes, I check my chat app, no messages from Irene. Disappointed ... do I have to ask her, ach if I ask, does not it look aggressive. I'm coming home with lethargy ..

A few days passed, Irene did not come to the cafe, every night after I worked, neither messages nor phone calls from her. I'm really frustrated, I miss her. I lay down on the bed, staring at my phone. Should I contact her? Haaarrrrzzzzzzzz .. I ruffled my hair. No, I can not call her, what if she's busy, I'll bother her. I gave up, I turned off the phone and lights room, hurried to sleep.

The alarm rang, I hurried to get ready for work. Hey, next week my mother's birthday. I mark my calendar, hmm .. I have to ask my supervisor about my leave, I totally forgot. I leave my home early this morning, hoping to meet the supervisor. Luckily, I can meet her and talk to her if I take a day off on Thursday. The supervisor says she will arrange and notify me. I was ready in front of the cashier to serve customers, and today exactly one week I did not see Irene.

Irene should come today, supposedly .... I mumble. Customers come and go, I still hope. The door of the cafe is open, I see Irene and her friends come. Like fireworks on New Year's Eve, that's how I feel. How beautiful my star is, today she's wearing a dark blue dress, with high heels, very pretty. Ach .. it feels like I wanted running to hug her.

But, Irene did not look at me at all, helllloooooo ... I'm here. Irene and her friends even chose the table where I can not see it from here. Dammit. I was really nervous, not seeing one week, and when I met Irene did not even notice me. Am I too hopeful that there is progress from our relationship, just because she brought me lunch, treat me dinner and kiss my cheek? How if at that moment, she was just frustrated by Kevin's breakup? Many questions are there in my head. This is insane!

One of her friends paid their order, while Irene and the other friends were out of the cafe, I paid little attention, but Irene did not even look at me. Okay, Rain .. it's over!

Going back to work, the supervisor said the day after tomorrow, I can take a leave of absence. Thankfully, at least there is good news today. My friend asked for dinner, but even I don't feel hungry. I just want to go home and get some sleep, forget the day's events. I walked alone, several times sighed, I was choking. I paused, my head held to the sky, my hand pointed at the brightest star. The star was like Irene, I twirled my finger, suddenly heard my cell phone ring, I looked on the screen, Irene .. I picked it up, Irene immediately asked me "what are you doing?". I took a breath "I'm walking home" Irene laughed a little "then why stop and play with your finger, what do you see above?" Ech .. why she knows what I just did. Automatically, my eyes start looking around for her figure, is she here, and I found her. She stood a few feet behind me, ran slightly towards me, suddenly hugged me, and whispered "I miss you".

Surprised, I stepped back one step, almost fell, and Irene swiftly arrested me. Our face is very close, I can feel her breath. I can not move. "I take you home" Irene took a few steps back after making sure I stood up straight. I was like being hypnotized, stepping with her to her parked car not far from where we stood. As soon as I sat down and I began to regain consciousness that I was with Irene right now. Irene the engine, she say "I'm a little busy, I just took off as council president, just today I can breathe of relief." I should have guessed it, Irene was busy, why I was acting like a child who asked for attention. Irene has her own world, not just spin on me, anyway who am I, I'm nobody -except her new friend. "Dreamy?" Irene hit my arm lightly. "Sorry, I was just thinking" I said looking at her "thinking about what? Your job or me?” She asked with a little laugh. "Gezz" lucky the day is dark, Irene can not see my face that surely flushed. "Tomorrow I have a farewell event with council members, so I can not see you" she continued. "It's okay, at least I can meet you tonight, ughmm..can I ask you something?" I brave myself to ask about today's incident "well, go ahead" Irene smiled, melted me "why are you looking today strange, did not see me, did not smile at me and sat very far away" I looked down sadly. "Is it true?". What the hell, really? What Irene amnesia to forget what she did a few hours ago, I took a deep breath and looked away from the window "forget my question". The atmosphere in the car was as cold as a snowfall in December. We were silent until the car reached the destination. I hurriedly take off the seat belt and opened the car door "thank you for driving me" I hurried down after seeing Irene nodded. I immediately turned my back and ran slightly away without looking at her again. My eyes are hot and I can not keep my tears out. I cried on the way to my house.

I know today, Irene will not come. Actually, I feel uncomfortable, I can not restrain my emotions last night. I have to apologize to her, if we meet later. After work, I packed things I would bring home tomorrow morning. Should I tell Irene if tomorrow I go back to my hometown? I looked at my handphone, itching to write a message. But, I undo my intention.

Exactly at 6 am, I was already on the bus, the trip will be taken for three hours. I leaned against the window, then fell asleep. I woke up a few minutes before I got to the bus station. I fix my hair, put my hat back on. Finally, I arrived, I have not been home for a long time. I got off the bus, and headed straight for the exit. I took out my cell phone, called my best friend, who promised to pick me up. Before I could phone, someone hit my back from behind, then hugged me. From the fragrance of her body, I know she is levi, my best friend. I turned around, and hugged her tightly "I can not breathe" Levi hit my . I kissed her cheek "I miss you" Levi smiled at me, and took my hat and put it on "I miss you so much".

I was sitting in the passenger seat beside her. We told stories sometimes laughing, so it did not seem to have arrived at my house. I opened the gate, my aunt greeted me in front of the door, then hugged me tight "Finally, you go home too, baby." I hugged her tightly. My aunt's face was almost like my mother, because every time she saw it, it made me want to cry, remember my mother. "Hi, aunt, how are you?" Levi broke the silence "this girl, never come here to visit me, ... bad girl" my aunt struck Levi's , made me laugh. "Take a break, I've cleaned your room" I walked into the house giddily. The house is still the same as it used to be, my aunt keeps it and does not change anything inside. I shed tears, when I saw my parents' room, my aunt wafted my back "they're in heaven, do not cry it on" I nodded.

Me and Levi lying on the mattress "what your boss is not angry" I turned towards her "I'm sick leave" she laughed. I hit her hand. We continue the story about various things, finally Levi asks about Irene "do not you tired of loving her?" She sat facing me "Listen to me, Rain, it's been a year more you harbor your love, and you know, no hope with your relationship, please listen me just for one time, there are many other girls out there" Levi plays my fingers, I know Levi is a little annoyed because I never gave up loving Irene. Though she repeatedly advised me to forget her, she even introduced her girlfriend to me, but I did not respond. The door to my room was knocked, the aunt asked me if I was ready to go. We rushed out of the room.

I, Levi and my aunt, have arrived at the cemetery. I put the lily, my mother's favorite, and poured water for her. I sat in front of the tombstone. It was the first time, I was celebrating my mother's birthday after her death. I hugged the headstone and cried altogether. Levi and my auntie knelt beside me. Levi then hugged me, she cried with me. The silence, and my tears dried up, I went and saluted "Happy birthday mother, I miss you". Levi grabbed my hand and led me to walk. None of us spoke. When I got home, I cleaned up and changed my clothes. Me and Levi then went for lunch, maybe a little late, because it was three o'clock in the afternoon. After lunch we went to the beach. We are looking for a shady place, because the sun is still a little hot. We talked without running out of conversation, still arguing about Irene, sometimes I taunted her boyfriend. Only Levi where I was leaning, she was the only friend who accepted me as I am, which is always there when I need it. Even when I confessed to her that I was gay, Levi did not lecture me, nor left me, her attitude was still the same as my Levi. She always supported me, when my parents died, she even slept in my house for almost a month until I finally decided to move to another city.

The sun sank, we went home to dinner with my aunt. "Do you have to go home right now?" My aunt packed my stuff "I can only take one day off" I replied while holding her "come my place with Levi later" Levi just smile looked at me. Levi drove me to the bus station, we hugged, and she bit my ear, made me scream in pain, I hit her, while she laughed out loud. I said goodbye to her and asked her to visit me "I love you, do not cry for Irene, show your feelings to her or forget her, okay" I just smiled. I waved. Uppsss..I just remembered my phone, I turned it off all day. I turned it on, then saw a lot of incoming messages. I did not open the others, just messages from Irene that I read.

10.00 a.m

Hi, Rain! I'm sorry for what happened two days ago, I think hard what I have to say to you. After you get out of my car, I feel guilty, but I am confused, about myself. I'm sorry for ignoring you at the cafe. I should apologize to you immediately. But it turns out I made you sad, and I can not even explain it to you. Forgive me…

04.00 p.m

You did not reply to my chat, are you still mad at me? I just finished checking some of the missing documents.

06.00 p.m

I forgot that you can not use the phone while working. I'm done with my job, I'll stop by the cafe. Can not wait to see you.

06.45 p.m

I did not see you in the cafe, I asked one of your friends, he said you're off today, why not tell me. You're off but do not reply to my chat, do not call me. If you do not reply to my chat too, I'll go to your house!

07.30 p.m

Rain!

Rain!

Rain!

Rain!

I took a deep breath. I checked my phone calls. 21 incoming calls from Irene. I called Irene immediately "hi" and Irene replied very angry "YOU, HAI HAI HAI .. YOU, DARE TO INFRING ME" my ears buzzing because of Irene's very loud voice "WHERE ARE YOU NOW HAH? I WAIT TO YOUR HOUSE FOR 30 MINUTES, I WORRY HAPPENING SOMETHING WITH YOU "and I heard her voice becoming husky, and she sobbed, my God, what Irene was crying. "Irene, sorry, I'm fine, please do not cry" Irene just silent "Irene" she is still sobbing "where are you?" Finally her voice began to normal, "I'm still on the bus, ride home, 2.5 hours again I'll get to " I replied soothing " on the bus? But from where? "Irene is still sobbing makes me feel very upset and guilty " I am from hometown, today my mother is birthday, I go to the funeral " we both fell silent. A moment later Irene asked "where is your arrival terminal?" I told her, and Irene said she would pick me up. We ended our calls. My hands were shaking, remembering Irene's sobs, I made her cry.

Finally, my bus got terminal, I called Irene as soon as I got off the bus. It turns out Irene has been waiting for me since 20 minutes ago. I found her in a cafe, her eyes looked puffy, again made me feel guilty, "hi" Irene holding my hand "want to go home or do you want to drink first?" I did not realize squeeze her hand "we go home". As we walked hand in hand to the parking lot, whatever my thoughts were, I pulled her hand and hugged her. Irene returned my hug and we hugged for a few moments.

I took off my hug and realized what I had done "I'm sorry, I just .." Irene put her hand on my cheek "glad to see you again, cmon.. go to the car". Irene drove out of the terminal parking lot. She the radio, sounding the song Issues by Julia Michaels. We initially just listened, Irene's fingers tapped in rhythm with the song and then Irene joined in singing ..

'Cause I got issues
But you got 'em too
So give 'em all to me
And I'll give mine to you
Bask in the glory
Of all our problems
'Cause we got the kind of love
It takes to solve 'em

...

while occasionally glancing at me .. and singing it a little loudly in part

Yeah, I got issues
And one of them is how bad I need you

Irene stopped singing when I saw her, "amazed by my voice?" She then sang again right in the same part…

Yeah, I got issues
And one of them is how bad I need you
Yeah, I got issues
And one of them is how bad I need you
Yeah, I got issues
And one of them is how bad I need you

I can not help but smile, she offers her palm, I see it and hold it. The 30 minute journey was very short, I hate to have to let go of her hand. Irene turns off the car engine, her hands are put in a drive, then look at me, making me awkward. "We have arrived princess" I melt stared at her "huh..why are you driving very fast ?!" I say sulk "I drove very slowly, still want to be with me?" Her hand picked up some strands of my hair, my heart beat fast, what she did " I'm going to go down" then she said "meet you tomorrow night, I'll pick you up" I turned to her between hesitating to say yes or not, but saw her ..."can not wait to meet you again " I opened the car door but Irene arrested my hand, I turned, and she kissed my cheek (again) "good night". We parted, today ended very romantically.