Chapter Eight: Ara

Cried Wolf (On Hold)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter Eight: Ara's POV

Wednesday (Roughly 6 Days Since Hyun's Disappearance:)

"Ara," Detective Kang Hyunggu taps on my desk, I tear my gaze from my laptop. I was currently watching camera footage from the school trying to see if I could catch Hyun anywhere on it.

"Yeah?" I raise an eyebrow at him.

He clears his throat. "We've located Lee Hyun's mother, she's being brought in to the station."

I sit up straighter, they had finally found her mother. I quickly nod and wave him off, I open up Hyun's case file and examine Jiah's testimony of how long it's been since Hyun's mother had seen the two. According to her it was months ago. I wasn't sure how their mother would react to the news, as it seems she no longer cared for her family. But anything could happen.

I return my gaze to my laptop the footage on the screen still moving only I quickly press pause as my eyes finally land on Hyun after hours of searching. This footage was right outside the school, Hyun steps out, and even through the blurry footage I could tell how dishelved and broken she looked. She steps down the steps slowly as if every step she took was painful, as if she were barely able to walk.

Hyun walks until she's standing at the frame of the video. She pulls her phone up to her ear and seemingly calls someone, I'm assuming that was her call to Jiah. She seems nervous from her body language, that and a mix of being in pain. She seemingly hangs up, her arms falling limply to her sides, I bite my lip as she raises one of her hands to hover over her stomach. Was that a confirmation that she was pregnant, I mean we already had confirmation from the doctor, but still.

Hyun brings her phone back up to most likely message Jinho but my eyes fix on another figure coming out of the school. It was definitely a male, of medium build, a black hoodie over his torso to the point that it covered his face. When he approaches Hyun I knew there was no doubt, this was him. This was the guy who kidnapped Hyun.

The male quickly rests a hand on Hyun's shoulder and you can immediately notice the change in her demeanor. She was scared. He wraps an arm around her waist tugging her to the left side of the camera's frame, almost to the point that I could no longer see them as they were almost out of frame. But they don't fully leave, they stop beside what looks to be a black car, that wasn't there earlier. The male tugs her into the car, him getting into the backseat along with her, the car driving off seconds later. My heart lurches forward, who was driving the car?

I slam my finger down on the space bar pausing the video now that I had seen Hyun's last moments at the school. My hand raises to cover my mouth, was there an accompliance or was the driver just a paid driver who had nothing to do with the crime? I would have to get my hands on other CCTV footage to trace the direction the car went and to hopefully get a licenses plate number.

"Ara!" Hyunggu stumbles into the room. "She's here."

-

I step into the room opposite the one Hyun's mother was in. The one-way glass between the two rooms showed me a clear visual of an older woman sitting in the questioning chair. She wore a bright red skimpy dress, makeup down like a super-model's, her hair being the only thing out of place ratted up as if she had been running her fingers through it.

Hyunggu sighs. "She's gone, high as a kite. I'm not sure how much you'll get out of her at this current moment."

I shrug glancing back at him. "Who knows maybe high Miss Kim has loose lips?"

He smirks. "Hopefully."

I pat Hyunggu on the shoulder. "Message Detective Kim and tell him to look into getting the CCTV footage from around the school."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter