Chapter Six: Ara

Cried Wolf (On Hold)
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter Six: Ara's POV

I pack up the notebook and cling onto it. I felt like I knew Hyun as a friend and I wanted to find her so I could be there for her myself.

 

As I pass the living room I see Jiah hanging up the phone. She glances at me. “Hyuk will be home from Daegu on Tuesday.”

 

I nod and continue towards the door but pause. I turn back towards the door. “I just wanted to let you know that Hyun really looked up to you.”

 

“Huh?” She seems confused.

 

I pull the notebook out from underneath my armpit. I gesture towards it. “She wrote about you and how she respected you.”

 

She stays silent a look crossing her face.

 

“She really changed Jiah, she was in love with Jinho and they changed each other.” I step closer to her. “Maybe you should read this.” I hold the notebook out to her.

 

Her hand that was rubbing the back of her neck slowly slides down to rest on the notebook. Her fingers slowly wrap around the small book.

 

“I’ll stay until you’ve finished it.”

 

-

 

Some time ago Jiah has started crying as she read through the notes Hyun left behind throughout the years.

 

She huffs and shuts the notebook once she’s done. She wipes her tears away and takes a couple deep breaths to calm herself.

 

“So if she’s not out messing around does that mean somethings happened to her?” She glances at me still teary eyed.

 

“Let’s hope not shall we.”

 

-

 

I had a list of people to meet today. I was headed to Hyun’s high school today. I wanted to meet with the counselor, her biology teacher, and maybe even some of the students.

 

Everyone’s eyes were on me as I entered the school. I was in uniform this time so I knew this’d happen. Everyone was thinking ‘What was a police officer doing here?’

 

I head to the office first and meet with the principal.

 

“So Miss Lee has been missing since Thursday?” The Principal recites shocked.

 

“Yes sir.” I answer.

 

“She was always quiet, she visited the office often because of her reputation but this year she hadn’t been in here at all.” He states.

 

I nod. “Could you take me to her homeroom, I’d like to check her locker.”

 

He nods. “Follow me.”

 

Once inside the classroom everyone hushes. I make eye contact with Jinho who stands quickly once I enter.

 

“This one is her’s.” The Principal points to the locker on the far end.

 

“That’s Lee Hyun’s.” Someone whispers.

 

“What’d she do now?” Someone else snorts.

 

I glance over the classroom sending them all serious looks. I turn to face them clearing my throat. “Your classmate Lee Hyun has been missing since Thursday. I’d like everyone to be safe on their way home and if anyone has any useful information about seeing Hyun on Thursday please let me know.”

 

Everyone was silent, their eyes wide. Jinho rushes over to me. “You haven’t found anything yet?”

 

“I’m here to check her locker.” I shake my head. He nods and moves aside.

 

I move to stand in front of her locker. It had a lock on it, one that had to be opened with a key. I glance at Jinho. “Do you have a spare?”

 

He shakes his head no. I sigh. I glance at the Principal who shrugs. “That’s her own personal lock, the school doesn’t have a spare.”

 

I end up breaking the lock off using the fire hydrant from the hall. Once it’s off I open the locker and my eyes widen at seeing her phone lying inside.

 

Jinho gasps. “Her phone?” He goes to reach for it but I slap his hand away.

 

“Don’t, there could be fingerprints.” I whisper.

 

He quickly retracts his hand and I reach into my jacket pocket pulling out my cloth gloves. I slip them on grab the phone turning it on. It wasn’t dead just powered off.

 

It was locked with a passcode though. I glance at Jinho. “I think it’s the month and year her dad died.”

 

I quickly type in 1009 and it unlocks. The first screen it comes to is the messages where an unsent message was being typed to Jinho.

 

My eyes widen as I read it.

 

To: Jinho

I take back what I said. I can’t do this on my own. Please help me. I don’t want to mess around anymore. Since we’ve met I’ve only wanted you. I’ve only been with you. But he forced himself on mdhalan

 

The cursor lies behind the mess of letters. Despite the last word being a jumble of letters I’m almost certain the word would’ve been me. Who forced himself on her?

 

More importantly what did they do to her?

 

I hear a slam next to me. I flinch back but see that it’s just Jinho. He’s punched the lockers out of anger.

 

“Jinho calm down.” I tell him slipping her phone into a baggy and into my pocket.

 

I turn towards the Principal. “Can y

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter