Chapter 3

Dark Night [Sequel to 'White Night']

Jinwook woke up alone. He sat up and looked around in his one-bedroom apartment. Kogyeol was nowhere to be seen. He couldn’t hear water running in the bathroom, so he assumed that his boyfriend wasn’t in the shower either. Jinwook furrowed his brows. It wasn’t like Kogyeol to just disappear without a word. If he had to leave without wanting to wake Jinwook he’d at least leave a note on his pillow – but there was nothing.

Jinwook got out of bed and put on some boxers and sweats to cover up his bare body. He then checked his phone to see if Kogyeol had at least left him a message. No luck. He checked the bathroom to see if his boyfriend was inside, shaving or brushing his teeth but Kogyeol really wasn’t here.

He was starting to get seriously worried when he heard keys rustling and the door to his apartment opened. Kogyeol stepped inside with a bag of groceries. He jumped when he saw Jinwook standing in the doorway of the bathroom, glaring.

“Babe, what’s wrong?” he asked as he put the bag down in the kitchen area. Jinwook walked up to him and slightly punched his arm. “Do you know how worried I was just now? Why didn’t you leave a note? You know I hate waking up not knowing where you are!” he said accusingly.

Kogyeol looked at him guiltily. “I’m sorry, I must have forgotten...I wanted to get back before you wake up and surprise you with breakfast in bed...”, he admitted. Jinwook’s features softened immediately. His boyfriend was just too sweet. “It’s okay...I was just...”, he trailed off. Kogyeol cupped his cheeks and leaned in for a kiss but Jinwook turned his head away. “I haven’t brushed my teeth yet...”, he admitted.

Kogyeol chuckled and moved the older’s head in his direction, pressing a kiss to his lips. “I don’t mind...our first kiss was similar”, he said. Jinwook wrapped his arms around Kogyeol’s waist, burying his face inside the younger’s shirt. He felt one of Kogyeol’s hands run through his hair. 

“What do you want to do today?” he asked. Jinwook looked up at him, arms still around his waist. “I have a class at 11 but afterwards I thought we could get lunch somewhere?” he offered. Kogyeol smiled. “I could cook, how about that?”

He leaned down to kiss Jinwook again. “I love your cooking...”, the older mumbled. Kogyeol chuckled. “I know...I actually have to go meet my Mom for a bit but I’ll be back soon and lunch will be ready when you come home, okay?” he told Jinwook who nodded and unwrapped his arms from around Kogyeol only to reach for his hand and gently drag him along to the bathroom.

“What are you up to?” Kogyeol asked with a smirk. “I have to get ready”, Jinwook announced. “And you should join me in the shower to make up for scaring me half to death this morning!” Kogyeol shook his head fondly but closed the bathroom door behind them nonetheless...

~

An hour and a half later, Kogyeol sat on his mother’s worn-down couch. She sat next to him and gave him a half-nervous smile. She had called him here to tell him ‘exciting news’ but so far she hadn’t said anything since greeting him and offering him a beer.

“So, Mom...what did you call me here for?” Kogyeol finally asked. His mother grinned at him. “Promise you won’t freak out?” she asked sheepishly. Kogyeol looked at her. “Mom, what did you do?” he questioned, sounding slightly alarmed. His Mom had been trying to get her back together after she’d had wasted lots of time dating toxic men after Kogyeol’s father had died in a car crash several years ago. Asking him not to freak out sort of already freaked him out enough.

She chuckled and held up her hand. “I kind of got engaged!” she announced. Her son's eyes widened. Kogyeol looked from the 18k white gold ring on his mother’s finger to her excited face and back. He took her hand, examining the ring closer. “What? When? To whom?” he asked. She gently took her hand back. “Last night. He’ll be here in 10 minutes.”

Kogyeol looked at her again. “You didn’t tell me you were seeing anyone”, he said. He wasn’t trying to sound accusing, but he was afraid that it might have come out that way from the way her smile fell. “It all went pretty fast, but I promise you that he isn’t like all those losers I dated. He’s a doctor, actually...and he takes care of me like nobody else did before. And he’s completely fine with me having an adult son...he actually has one as well...”, she explained.

“So, I’m going to get a stepbrother...”, Kogyeol stated. He rose to his feet. “I think I do need a beer now...”, he said. His Mom pouted and followed him into the kitchen where he opened the fridge and got out a can of beer. “Can you at least give him a chance?” she asked. Kogyeol looked at his mother and sighed.

“Fine...for you...but this man better be as good as you claim he is!” he gave in. His Mom actually squealed at that and pulled him into a hug. “Thank you.” The doorbell rang a second later so she went to open. Kogyeol opened his beer and took a long sip before bracing himself to step into the living room and meet his mother’s fiancé.

When he came inside his Mom was talking to a tall, middle-aged man with graying hair and glasses. He was wearing a suit that looked more expensive than this entire apartment. He looked around 50 and was now regarding Kogyeol with a friendly smile, extending his hand to a greeting.

“Ah, you must be Minsoo, your mother has told me all about you!” he said in a friendly tone. Kogyeol returned his smile and reached out to shake the man’s hand. “Minsoo, this is Choi Kiyoung. He’s the chef resident at Seoul National University Hospital”, Kogyeol’s Mom spoke up. The name was ringing bells in Kogyeol’s mind but he couldn’t quite pinpoint it.

“I would have loved to bring my son for you two to meet but he has practice today”, Choi Kiyoung said. Practice. Kogyeol’s eyes widened. “Your son…he doesn’t happen to be...”, he trailed off. “Choi Suwon; captain of the Gangnam Steelblades ice hockey team”, the older man finished Kogyeol’s sentence. 

Oh , not good...

“Well, I’m sure there’s plenty of time for them to get to know each other. For now, I’d say we go to the restaurant like we planned?” Kogyeol’s mother suggested. “Um...I can’t come with you. I borrowed Jinwook’s car and I need to take it back...we had plans anyway”, Kogyeol spoke up again. His Mom pouted at him again. “I’m sorry, Mom. Maybe next time...”, he said and kissed her on the cheek.

“It was nice meeting you Mr Choi...”, he said to the doctor before he grabbed his jacket and left the apartment. He got into Jinwook’s car and leaned back in the seat to gather his thoughts for a few seconds. His mother was going to marry the father of the Steels’ captain; he could already imagine Wooseok’s reaction.