Chapter 19

Dark Night [Sequel to 'White Night']

“Babe...”, Kogyeol spoke up the same evening when he and Jinwook were lying around cuddling. “Hm?” “What do you think I should do about my family situation?” he asked. Jinwook looked up at him. “What do you mean?” the older questioned. “You’ve met Dr Choi and he’s nice...but...his son isn’t. I still don’t quite know what I should think of this wedding”, Kogyeol elaborated.

“Well, Dr Choi is the one marrying your Mom, not Suwon...”, Jinwook began. “But if you want me to...I could speak to him about what went down between us...” “You don’t have to do that. I know how uncomfortable it makes you to talk about it. I can’t imagine what it would be like for you to talk to his father about it...”

Jinwook smiled and shifted so he was half on top of Kogyeol. “I’ll do it if it helps you. you’re my family...”, he said and pressed a kiss onto the younger’s lips. “You’re all I have...”, he added. Kogyeol gave him a look. “Come on, that’s not true”, he replied and ran a hand through the older’s hair.

“It is...my parents died when I was 13, my foster parents lowkey kicked me out as soon as I was 18. Sure, I have friends but...you…I feel like I could spend eternity with you. So, if I’m expected at another family dinner, I’ll be there”, he explained. "Unless, you don’t want me there”, he added with a chuckle. “Of course, I want you there. You’re my family, too...”, Kogyeol assured him. Jinwook smiled at him.

“You know how we talked about marriage before?” Kogyeol spoke up again after a few minutes. Jinwook nodded. “I think we should do it”, the younger said. Jinwook raised his eyebrows with a surprised look. “Are you kidding?” he questioned. “No, I’m completely serious. Let’s do it”, Kogyeol said and sat up.

Jinwook grinned at him. “Is this your way of proposing to me?” he questioned. Kogyeol nodded determinedly. “What do you say?” he asked. Jinwook moved to straddle his lap. He wrapped his arms around the younger’s neck and kissed him.

“I say yes”, he replied after pulling back.

~

When Jinwook woke up the next morning he was alone again. This time, though, he found a note next to him on the pillow. It said that Kogyeol only had to get something and that he’d be back in a few.

Kogyeol came home to his shirtless, freshly showered boyfriend, wearing only black jeans. He was cooking breakfast, so his back was facing the younger. Kogyeol walked to him and wrapped his arms around his bare torso. Jinwook chuckled and leaned back into his chest.

“Where’d you go?” he questioned while Jinwook put their breakfast on two plates and gently freed himself from his boyfriend’s grip to carry them over to the table. Kogyeol reached into his pocket and pulled out a small box. Jinwook turned around to look at him. Kogyeol opened the box and showed it to him. There were two silver rings inside.

“I’m sorry, I couldn’t afford gold or anything. I figured that since the engagement was exremely spontaneous I didn’t want to wait any longer...”, Kogyeol explained.

“So, you want to elope?” Jinwook asked, surprised, but not negatively so. Kogyeol nodded. Jinwook inspected the rings a little more closely. “They’re gorgeous”, he said. They were simple and probably not very expensive but Jinwook loved them. 

“Let’s go right after breakfast. We can’t get married on an empty stomach”, he added with a chuckle. Kogyeol grinned and engulfed the older in a bone-crushing hug.

“I love you“, he mumbled. He felt Jinwook’s arms wrap around him. “I love you more”, the older said. Kogyeol pulled back and sat down. “Let’s eat”, he announced. Jinwook laughed at the younger’s excitement but complied to his wishes.

~

The drive to the courthouse seemed short to Jinwook which was good because he couldn’t wait to get married. He chuckled to himself at the thought. He was 22 years old, not even done with college and on the way to spontaneously get married to his 21-year-old boyfriend.

“Does this mean you’ll officially move in with me?” Jinwook asked jokingly when they entered the office and approached the working officer. Kogyeol intertwined their fingers. “Definitely...but you’ll barely feel a difference”, he replied with a big grin.

It was true. Even though, Kogyeol started getting along with his mother after the accident he spent more time with Jinwook then ever. More and more stuff wandered into Jinwook’s drawers and onto his shelf. He loved it, though. He’d never get sick of Kogyeol’s presence, which was one of the reasons he’d agreed to marrying him in the first place.

They reached the officer who looked at them expectantly. Kogyeol explained why they were here and the officer checked their IDs and walked them through the process before starting right away. He held a speech, which seemed like he’d done this many times before but he still managed to make it sound passionate. Luckily, it wasn't very long and he cut to the important part shortly after.

“Do you, Kim Jinwook, take Go Minsoo to be your wedded husband, to live together in marriage? Do you promise to love him, comfort him, honor and keep him for better or worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and health, and forsaking all others, be faithful only to him, for as long as you both shall live?”

“I do”, Jinwook said, putting one of the two silver rings on Kogyeol’s finger.

“Do you, Go Minsoo, take Kim Jinwook to be your wedded husband, to live together in marriage? Do you promise to love him, comfort him, honor and keep him for better or worse, for richer or poorer, in sickness and health, and forsaking all others, be faithful only to him, for as long as you both shall live?”

“I do”, Kogyeol said. He took the other ring and put it on Jinwook’s ring finger.

“Then, by the authority invested in me by the laws of the Republic of South Korea I hereby pronounce you husband and husband”, the worker said. Kogyeol pulled Jinwook closer by the waist and kissed him before the officer could even say anything else.

“Now, all that’s left is signing your marriage license and you’re good to go”, the officer told them and handed Jinwook a pen...

~

“When should we tell the others?” Jinwook asked on the way home, never taking his eyes off the silver ring on his finger. Kogyeol, who had his eyes fixed on the road, shrugged. 

“Maybe we should tell them at practice tomorrow. Wooseok will probably be mad that he wasn’t invited”, he replied with a chuckle. Jinwook smiled. “Well, maybe we can hold an actual reception when we’re not poor college students anymore”, he suggested. “I’m sure Wooseok will insist on a reception”, Kogyeol agreed.

“But yeah, let’s tell them tomorrow”, he added. “What do you think they’ll say?” “They’ll probably think we’re pranking them...but we have a license to prove it”, Jinwook laughed. Kogyeol took one hand off the wheel and intertwined their fingers. “My husband...”, he said. “I really like the sound of that”, Jinwook told him. “Me too”, Kogyeol agreed.

They drove in silence for a little while before Kogyeol suddenly started laughing. “What is it?” Jinwook asked. “I just thought about my Mom...”, the younger replied. “I kinda can’t wait to see her face when we tell her.” Jinwook grinned. “You really did end up getting married before her”, he stated.

It was still a little unbelievable to them. A while ago Jinwook had been at a point where he thought that he’d never tie the knot and now here he was, married to the love of his life. It had been spontaneous and not the most romantic but he wouldn't have it any other way.