Chapter 18

Dark Night [Sequel to 'White Night']

There were a few people Hwanhee would have expected to see on his doorstep at 11pm but Kim Wooseok wasn’t one of them. Especially not a drunk Kim Wooseok. Hwanhee knew that Wooseok wasn’t one to get drunk a lot. Something must have happened.

“Sorry to bother you...”, the older slurred and stumbled inside, somehow sliding his jacket off in the process. Hwanhee picked it up and grabbed Wooseok’s arm, leading him to his living room and sat him down on the couch. “What are you doing here? What happened?” Hwanhee asked. Wooseok looked at him through glazed eyes. “You did...”

Hwanhee was more than confused by that answer. “Wooseok, really...you have to tell me what happened”, he insisted. Wooseok fell back on the couch. “Dongyeol is mad at me...”, he whined. Hwanhee froze. This was about Dongyeol? “Why?” he questioned carefully. “Because I’m an idiot...I really thought that he might have feelings left for you...deep down...turns out he doesn’t and I might have just blown it with him...”, Wooseok slurred.

The jab about Dongyeol’s vanished feelings for Hwanhee hurt a little but it wasn’t completely unexpected. “He thinks I don’t trust him...when it’s actually you I don’t trust...”, Wooseok continued. Hwanhee raised his eyebrows at his drunken team captain. “Why are you here, Wooseok?” he asked.

“To...suggest a truce...I can’t do this anymore...”, the older said. Hwanhee sat down on his couch table. “A truce?” “Dongyeol’s important to both of us...and we both don’t want to lose him...so I suggest that we try to get along again...”, Wooseok slurred. Hwanhee chuckled. Who would have thought that the older was still reasonable in a drunken state.

“Okay”, he agreed. He began to twiddle his thumbs. After a few seconds of silence, he spoke up again. “I have to apologize to you as well. I disliked you for being the one Dongyeol likes even though I was the one who rejected him back then. I practically drove him away right into your arms. And...even though it hurts, I want to see him happy. So, whatever your issue was, you better sleep it off and go talk to him first thing tomorrow!”

When Hwanhee didn’t get an answer he looked at the older’s face again, only to see that he was already fast asleep. Hwanhee chuckled again and rose from the couch table to lie Wooseok down on the couch properly. He went to his room to get a spare blanket to cover the older with. Next, he went to get a glass of water and an Aspirin, both of which he set down on the table for Wooseok to find in the morning.

He was just about to head to his own room when he heard Wooseok’s phone ring in his jacket’s pocket. He got it out and saw that Dongyeol was calling. Hwanhee contemplated for a second. Dongyeol was probably worried about Wooseok if they’d really had a fight. He picked up.

“Oh my god, finally. I’ve been calling you for two hours; are you okay? I don’t want to fight or break up”, Dongyeol said quickly before Hwanhee had a chance to say anything. “Um, it’s me...”, he finally answered. “Hwanhee? Why do you have Wooseok’s phone? Is he okay?” Dongyeol asked, sounding beyond worried.

“He’s fine...he got drunk and somehow came to my place. He’s asleep now, don’t worry...”, Hwanhee told him. He heard Dongyeol exhale. “Do you want me to pick him up?” he asked. “No, it’s fine. Let him sleep”, Hwanhee replied. “Okay...thanks, Hwanhee...”, Dongyeol said. “No problem...”, the older answered.

They hung up and Hwanhee put Wooseok’s phone back in his pocket. He took one last glance at his sleeping team captain before getting ready for bed himself.

~

Wooseok woke up late the next day. He looked around in an unfamiliar living room. It took him a few seconds to realize that this was Hwanhee’s place. He’d only been here once when the younger threw a moving in party. He’d dropped him off here once or twice after practice as well.

He spotted the water on the table and reached out to take it. His throat felt dry as . He didn’t really get hangovers but he still took the Aspirin anyway. He remembered coming here and talking to Hwanhee about Dongyeol. Even though he was drunk, he’d meant the part about the truce. He wanted to make things right with Dongyeol again and he and Hwanhee used to be friends, so he figured coming here was a good start.

Wooseok reached for his jacket and fished his phone from his pocket. He’d gotten several calls from Dongyeol yesterday. The last one had been answered, probably by Hwanhee. He got up from the couch and walked into the small kitchen where Hwanhee was cooking.

“Oh, you’re up...do you want to stay for lunch?” he questioned. Wooseok was ready to decline but his stomach answered for him. “I guess...”, he said. “I’m sorry for crashing here. I’m probably not really your favorite person”, he apologized. Hwanhee shrugged. “I’m not yours either. I don’t know if you remember but we called a truce last night”, he pointed out.

“I remember...”, Wooseok said, looking at the phone in his hand. “Oh, right! Dongyeol called last night and I told him you were fine...you should talk to him...”, Hwanhee pointed out. Wooseok nodded. “I will...”, he said. 

Hwanhee turned the stove off and began setting the table. “I’m sorry I caused so much trouble...”, he said without looking at Wooseok. The older didn’t really know what to answer so he decided not to say anything. At least not until he knew how his talk with Dongyeol would go.

~

“Dongyeol, are you alright?” his father asked at the breakfast table. Dongyeol nodded. “I’m fine. Where’s Mom?” he questioned. “She headed out very early this morning...”, his father replied. Dongyeol picked around in his food. Eating was the last thing on his mind after his fight with Wooseok. He was just glad that the older was alright.

He had been surprised when Hwanhee had told him that Wooseok had crashed at his place but as long as they didn’t kill each other he wouldn’t complain about it. He felt guilty for going off like that and causing Wooseok to get drunk. He understood where the older was coming from. He couldn’t imagine what he’d do if he was in Wooseok’s shoes; if his boyfriend’s ex-crush slash best friend suddenly had feelings for him...

“Aren’t you eating?” Dongyeol’s father ripped him from his thoughts. Dongyeol looked up at his concerned father and shook his head. “No...I’m not hungry. I’m just gonna go to my room...”, he told him and got up to do just that.

~

Dongyeol didn’t remember falling asleep but a soft knock on his door woke him from his nap. “Come in...”, he said with a raspy, sleep-filled voice while sitting up in his bed. Wooseok stepped inside carefully. “I’m sorry...did I wake you?” he asked. Dongyeol shook his head. “It’s fine, what time is it?” “Around two, I think...”, Wooseok answered.

Dongyeol got out of his bed and faced him. “I’m sorry about yesterday...”, Wooseok said before the younger could even open his mouth to speak. “Me too...”, Dongyeol answered. “I shouldn’t have been like that to you. I overreacted...” A short silence followed. Eventually, Wooseok stepped closer to Dongyeol and reached for both his hands.

“I don’t want to fight about Hwanhee anymore. You said he wasn’t going to try to come between us and I talked to him as well and I think we’re both ready to bury the hatchet...”, he explained. Dongyeol didn’t say anything but instead he just pulled Wooseok into a hug. “I love you...”, he mumbled into the crook of Wooseok’s neck. “I know. I love you, too.”

Dongyeol pulled back after a few minutes. “I’m kinda starving...do you want something?” he asked. Wooseok shook his head. “I already ate but I’ll buy you a meal if you like”, the older offered, taking Dongyeol’s hand and intertwining their fingers. Dongyeol grinned at him. “Can I get a chocolate milkshake?” he asked cutely. Wooseok laughed and nodded. “Anything for you”, he said.