Chapter 17

Dark Night [Sequel to 'White Night']

“How are things going with the stepdad?” Wooseok asked his best friend the next day after practice. They hung out at the diner near the stadium to get some milkshakes. Kogyeol shrugged. “Jinwook thinks he’s okay”, he replied. Wooseok raised his eyebrow. “Jinwook met him?”

“We ran into him at the store and he invited us to dinner with my Mom...he seems pretty nice, if I’m completely honest”, Kogyeol admitted. Wooseok nodded slowly. “The only thing I’m worried about is the actual wedding...if Jinwook has to be near Suwon for several hours...”, he trailed off. The younger looked like he thought carefully about his next words.

“Did you...ever think about telling Dr Choi about what his son did to Jinwook?” he questioned. “Not really...I don’t know if Jinwook would want that...”, Kogyeol answered before taking a sip from his milkshake. “Maybe you should ask Jinwook to tell him then”, Wooseok suggested.

Kogyeol shrugged. “I just don’t know how that would help. It’s not like he’ll disown his son over a something that happened over two years ago...”, he answered. Wooseok hummed. “You’re right...but I think you should talk to Jinwook about it anyway...” “I might...”, the older replied.

“By the way, what’s going on between you and Hwanhee? You looked like you wanted to stab him earlier...”, Kogyeol pointed out. Nobody had missed the obvious tension between the two at practice. “I do want to stab him but I promised Dongyeol not to”, Wooseok mumbled into his milkshake. “What the hell happened?” Kogyeol asked.

“He hit on Dongyeol and tried to kiss him...”, Wooseok answered. Kogyeol’s eyes widened. “What?! Why?” Wooseok looked bitter when he recounted the story Dongyeol had told him the other night to his best friend. Needless to say Kogyeol was more than surprised to hear that. He had, of course, noticed that something seemed to be going on with the younger but he wouldn’t have thought that he actually had feelings for Dongyeol.

“Can you murder him for me, please?” Wooseok questioned after a short silence. Kogyeol chuckled. “I’m not a hitman...”, he reminded his best friend. “And besides, there’s no need to murder him because Dongyeol doesn’t return his feelings. I see that you’re angry about it...but he’s Dongyeol’s best friend. You might lose him if you pick a fight with Hwanhee...”, he advised his friend.

Wooseok sighed but nodded. “I know...it’s just that...when Dongyeol told me there was a small part of me that thought what if he realizes that he still likes Hwanhee after all...?” he admitted. “You have nothing to fear. Dongyeol loves you”, Kogyeol assured his best friend. Wooseok stared into his milkshake. “Yeah...I just hope that’s enough when it comes to Hwanhee...”

~

“Dongyeol!” a voice called out after him when he was just about to enter his house. Wooseok was with Kogyeol so Dongyeol settled on walking home. He turned around at the sound of Hwanhee’s voice. “What are you doing here?” he asked, not really keen on talking to him right now.

“I wanted to apologize...I had no right to make a move on you. I don’t know what came over me...”, Hwanhee apologized. Dongyeol crossed his arms over his chest. “So you lied? About liking me?” the younger questioned. “I didn’t say that...”, Hwanhee answered.

“I do like you but I crossed a line by trying to kiss you when I know that you’re with Wooseok. I’m actually surprised that he hasn’t slit my throat yet...you told him, didn’t you?” Dongyeol nodded. “Of course, I told him! He’s really angry at you but I told him not to beat you up”, he replied.

Hwanhee furrowed his brows obviously surprised by that revelation. He was sure that Dongyeol wouldn’t bother holding Wooseok back. “Why?” he asked the younger. Dongyeol raised one eyebrow. “Why? Because...you’re still my friend. I’m disappointed in you but that doesn’t mean I want my boyfriend to rip your head off”, he explained.

Hwanhee nodded slowly. “Well...thanks...I’m quite attached to my head”, he said. Dongyeol chuckled. “I figured...” A pause followed in which neither of them really knew what to say. They were at an awkward place in their friendship. Dongyeol wanted to make things right between them but he wasn’t sure if he could do it right now when he knew that Hwanhee liked him.

“Look, I really want to get past this...I promise I won’t get in the way of you and Wooseok anymore and I’ll get over you”, Hwanhee said as if he’d read Dongyeol’s thoughts. The younger looked at him, unsure of what to say. “I’ll go now. I just wanted you to know that I’m sorry”, Hwanhee added. He turned around and left without any further words.

A few seconds later Wooseok’s truck pulled up in front of Dongyeol’s house. The older got out, looking bemused. “Was that Hwanhee just now?” he questioned. Dongyeol kissed his cheek. “Hi to you too...”, he said and reached for Wooseok’s hand to lead him inside. He really wasn’t up for another conversation on his porch.

“Dongyeol...what did Hwanhee want?” Wooseok questioned, pulling his hand back from the younger’s grip once they’d reached his bedroom. Dongyeol rolled his eyes at his boyfriend’s persistence. “He just wanted to talk. He apologized for the other day”, he replied, hoping that Wooseok would calm down – he didn’t.

“I don’t trust him”, Wooseok said. “But you should trust me. I wouldn’t let him make another move on me!” “What if it’s a heat-in-the-moment situation?!” Wooseok snapped before he could stop himself. Dongyeol’s mouth fell open and he took a step backwards from his boyfriend.

“You really think I’d let it get this far? I’ve been nothing but honest with you and you still mistrust me when it comes to Hwanhee?” Dongyeol asked in disbelief. Wooseok had realized his mistake the moment the words had left his mouth. “I didn’t mean it like that...”, he replied.

“Then how did you mean it? Your insecurity about my past feelings for Hwanhee are clouding your judgement and I don’t know how I can make you believe that I have absolutely NO romantic feelings left for Hwanhee. I never felt the same way around him as I feel around you. And since that day in the hospital I never thought of him as more than a friend! When will you finally believe me?!”

Wooseok said nothing. He saw tears b in Dongyeol’s eyes and he never wanted to be responsible for making him cry. “Hwanhee came to apologize for crossing the line. He still wants to be my friend and he promised to get over it and stop trying to get between us...”, Dongyeol said. A tear ran over his face. “But if you can’t accept the fact that I can talk to my best friend without one of us trying to jump the other, then I don’t know if there even should be an us anymore.”

The older’s eyes widened and he stared back at Dongyeol. “What does that mean?” he questioned. “It means that I need you to trust me and you can’t seem to do that”, Dongyeol replied. “So...you’re breaking up with me?” Wooseok asked. Dongyeol lowered his head. “I don’t know yet...but I think you should go”, he told the older.

Wooseok didn’t want to go. He was afraid that if he left now, he’d lose Dongyeol. But he knew that Dongyeol wanted to be alone now to think. If he didn't go now, things would probably only get worse. Wooseok exhaled slowly.

“Fine...”, he said and turned around to leave the younger’s house.