Chapter 9

Dark Night [Sequel to 'White Night']

Kogyeol’s first instinct was to surge forward and rip Choi Suwon’s throat out but he felt Jinwook’s fingers link with his before he could act on it. Suwon didn’t miss the gesture. He looked right at Jinwook and it made Kogyeol want to stand in front of his boyfriend to protect him.

Choi Suwon approached Kogyeol, the pretentious smirk never leaving his face. “Would you look at that...picking up my leftovers, brother?” He spat the last word, the disdain clearly audible in his voice. Kogyeol lunged at him but Changhyun and Wooseok reacted quickly by holding him back by his arms.

“Back off, Choi!” Wooseok warned. Suwon laughed and got even closer in Kogyeol’s face. “How’s the head injury healing?” he asked with fake-concern. Kogyeol glared at him. “I swear to god, Choi Suwon, if you don’t stay away from my boyfriend I’ll give you a head injury of your own!” he warned. Even he was surprised by how scary-serious he sounded about that. Luckily, it seemed to have done the trick. Choi Suwon backed off a little, still smirking but he looked less confident than before.

“It’s okay, let’s go. Come on...”, Jinwook said quietly. He linked their fingers again and Kogyeol looked at him. He didn’t look at Choi Suwon but Kogyeol knew that Jinwook was thinking of what the guy did to him. The older’s soft hand was enough to calm Kogyeol down, though. Wooseok and Changhyun carefully let go of him when the were sure that he wouldn’t murder the captain of their rival team. Jinwook began gently dragging Kogyeol over to his car.

Choi Suwon focused his attention on Wooseok. “You should have your teammates under control, don’t you think?” he asked. Wooseok glared at him. “Next time, I won’t hold him back, Choi Suwon. I’d just much rather beat you in ice hockey first...”, he answered. The other captain laughed at that. “Sure, whatever helps you sleep at night. We’ll see who’s the better team in three weeks!”

Choi Suwon walked away to his car and his teammates followed. Wooseok huffed angrily before walking over to his own car, which he could finally drive again. Dongyeol followed him. When Wooseok looked over his shoulder, he found Hwanhee looking at the only Steel who hadn’t gotten into Choi Suwon’s BMW.

“Hwanhee? Do you need a ride?” Wooseok asked him. Hwanhee teared his eyes from the other guy to look at Wooseok. “No thanks...I still have somewhere to be”, he said coldly. Wooseok didn’t miss the tone Hwanhee regarded him with but he shrugged it off. He got into his rusty, blue pickup truck with Dongyeol, Sungjun, Gyujin and Yein. Jinwook and Kogyeol were about to take off and Sooil and Changhyun were already gone.

“What was that all about?” Yein asked. “I honestly have no idea”, Gyujin replied. Wooseok bit his lip. He knew, and he would have loved to see Kogyeol beat up Choi Suwon, hell, he would have stepped up to help him even, but he wasn’t going to tell his teammates that.

“That guy is Jinwook’s ex, isn’t he?” Dongyeol questioned. Wooseok just nodded. Dongyeol and Hwanhee hadn’t been on the hockey team for a long time back when the thing between Jinwook and Suwon happened so they didn’t really know much about the guy.

“He seems to have told Kogyeol...”, he accidentally thought out loud. “Told Kogyeol what?” Dongyeol questioned. Wooseok started the car, not looking at the younger. “Nothing...let’s just say that things between Choi Suwon and Jinwook didn’t really end that well...”, he answered.

~

“You’re a Steel?” Hwanhee asked Hyunwoo who was standing across from him, still in the parking lot. The others had all left which Hwanhee was grateful for. He didn’t want the others to find out that he knew one of their rivals a little too well. Hyunwoo grinned.

“I am...I just joined the team two months ago. I would have told you but I know of the rivalry between our teams and I didn’t want you to think that I was an like Suwon”, Hyunwoo explained. Hwanhee raised his eyebrows. “Are you?” he asked. Hyunwoo chuckled. “No, I wouldn’t say so”, he replied.

“Why is it so important to you what I think about you?” Hwanhee asked. Hyunwoo shrugged. “I don’t know. Maybe I think you’re cute and want you to like me”, he replied. Hwanhee looked at the floor. “I probably didn’t do a good job, though, considering you haven’t called”, Hyunwoo added.

Hwanhee looked at him again. “I think you got the wrong idea...I’m not into guys”, he told Hyunwoo who raised his eyebrows in mild surprise. “Really? Could have fooled me”, he replied. Hwanhee didn’t miss the sarcasm. “The other night was a slip-up”, he tried to explain himself. Hyunwoo chuckled.

“A slip-up, huh? Does Dongyeol know about that slip-up? He was the cute dark-haired one who stood next to your captain, right?” Hwanhee’s face hardened at Hyunwoo’s remark. He regretted getting drunk and opening up to a stranger who now held everything he said against him.

“Just forget it...I’m done talking to you...”, Hwanhee said and turned to walk away. “Wait, I’m sorry...I guess I am an ...”, Hyunwoo called out to him. Hwanhee kept walking. “Let me at least drive you home...”, the other male offered, causing Hwanhee to stop and turn back around. “Really, I’m sorry about what I said. I really do want you to like me”, Hyunwoo apologized again.

Hwanhee rolled his eyes, gave in and approached the older’s car. “Fine. You may drive me home but no more talking about Dongyeol!” he clarified. Hyunwoo grinned and opened the passenger door for Hwanhee to get in.