Chapter 16

Dark Night [Sequel to 'White Night']

“So, Jinwook...how’d you and Minsoo meet?” Dr Choi asked the same evening at dinner. Kogyeol was still a little tense like he’d been at the store but Jinwook seemed to get along with Dr Choi so far. “It was through a friend. He wanted me to join their ice hockey team and I came along to the stadium to check it out. I noticed what an incredible player Minsoo was...”

Kogyeol actually had to smile at the older’s words. He still felt thankful to Hwanhee for being persistent and dragging Jinwook to the ice hockey stadium. He remembered being intrigued with Jinwook from the very beginning. Kogyeol rarely got shy around guys he liked but he’d made an entire fool of himself when he asked the older for his number.

“I’m actually surprised that I’m getting married before you two, you two are so domestic, practically living together...I really thought my son would tie the knot before me”, Kogyeol’s mom joked, successfully ripping her son from his thoughts. He looked over at Jinwook who blushed. “I said a similar thing a while ago”, he replied. Jinwook half-heartedly slapped his thigh under the table. “Don’t say stuff like that”, he mumbled under his breath. The rosy color remained on his cheeks. Kogyeol smiled at him. “Why not?” he asked innocently.

“Well, you two are still young, so there’s time”, Dr Choi pointed out. Kogyeol actually grinned at that. “Yeah...”, he agreed, though the topic made him think about how he really would like to marry Jinwook. He was too broke to buy a ring or pay for a big wedding but it was a nice thought to play with.

“What do your parents think about Minsoo?” Dr Choi questioned, seemingly interested in Jinwook’s life. The latter looked down at his plate for a second. “Um, my parents passed away when I was 13 and I actually haven’t spoken to my foster parents since I moved out at 18, so they’ve never met him...”, Jinwook admitted. Kogyeol knew that Jinwook didn’t like to talk about how he’d lost his parents in a car accident because he didn’t want people to pity him. The topic barely came up. “I’m sorry to hear that...”, Dr Choi replied. Jinwook shook his head. “It’s alright.”

“Now, it’s getting late...”, Dr Choi said after a short, awkward silence. He waved over a waiter. “It was a nice dinner. I’d really like to do this more often”, he added. Jinwook smiled. “It was really nice of you to invite us”, he said. Dr Choi waved off. “Anytime, son...maybe next time we can all get together with Suwon, too”, he suggested.

Jinwook’s smile fell and he tensed up at the mention of Choi Suwon’s name. “I’m not sure that’s such a good idea”, Kogyeol stepped up. Dr Choi looked confused at the sudden change of mood. “Why not?” “I-it’s just...um...Suwon and I used to date and it would probably be awkward...”, Jinwook spoke up. Kogyeol linked their hands under the table.

Dr Choi looked at Jinwook for a few seconds. He seemed like he wanted to say something but then he just smiled again. “You’re probably right. You will be at the wedding, though, right?” he asked. Jinwook gave Kogyeol a side look. “Sure, if you’ll have me”, he answered.

“Of course, you’re one of the reasons I got my life back together. It would be weird not to have you there”, Kogyeol’s mom spoke up. “I mean I wouldn’t put it like that...”, Jinwook trailed off. Mrs Go chuckled. “Humble as always”, she teased.

Kogyeol was glad that his mom and Jinwook got along so well. She was right about Jinwook being one of the reasons she got her life back together. Kogyeol used to have a bad relationship with her after the death of his father. She used to date drunkards and s whom she’d always put before her son. When he’d had his ice hockey accident, Jinwook had made an effort to convince her to visit him which had helped them fix their relationship.

Kogyeol was grateful to have Jinwook in his life for many reasons and he was happy that his Mom had accepted him into the family so warm-heartedly. Especially, since the older didn’t really have a family of his own.

“We should get going...we have practice tomorrow”, Jinwook spoke up. They all rose from their seats and began to leave the restaurant. “Tell Wooseok hi from me”, Mrs Go said. “Will do, Mom”, Kogyeol replied. He gave his mother a hug and shook Dr Choi’s hand before following Jinwook to his car.

“See, that went well”, the older said. “Yeah it did...apart from the bit where we talked about your parents and Suwon. But all in all, he seemed about ready to adopt you”, Kogyeol stated. Jinwook gave him a side look as he started the car. “Do you still not like him?” he questioned, not further addressing the earlier mention of the uncomfortable topics. Kogyeol shrugged. “He’s not a piece of ...unlike his son...”, he stated. Jinwook laughed and drove off. “That’s something, at least...”

~

Hwanhee felt terrible. He hadn’t slept at all last night and now he sat at the breakfast table looking like a zombie. Why did he have to tell Dongyeol about his feelings and try to kiss him? When did he become so selfish and bitter? Dongyeol’s rejection had been a slap to his face. He’d received another slap when the younger left him on read after he’d asked him not to tell Wooseok about it.

This had to stop. He couldn’t win Dongyeol. He shouldn’t even try to win Dongyeol because Wooseok was still his friend – at least until the moment he would show up here to beat him up for hitting on Dongyeol. He wouldn’t even blame Wooseok if he did that. He probably deserved it more than last time. Damn, Hwanhee really became a pro at driving his best friend away.

Hyunwoo had announced himself for breakfast via text but Hwanhee still jumped when the doorbell rang. He actually wasn’t in the mood for company but Hyunwoo wasn’t really someone who took no for an answer in these kinds of situations. Deep down, Hwanhee was thankful for the older’s persistence. Hyunwoo always seemed to know when Hwanhee needed to verbally get his kicked.

He opened the door and Hyunwoo smiled at him. “Morning”, he said and stepped inside after taking his shoes off. “I assume you haven’t started cooking yet”, he added. Hwanhee shook his head miserably. “I wasn’t up for it...”, he admitted. Hyunwoo walked into the kitchen and started roaming around for pans and a spatula.

“What’s wrong?” he questioned while he walked over to Hwanhee’s fridge and helped himself with eggs and bacon. “I confessed to Dongyeol and it blew up in my face and now I lost my best friend so welcome to my pity party...”, Hwanhee summarized quickly. Hyunwoo looked at him with a raised eyebrow.

“Did you expect any other outcome?” Hyunwoo questioned calmly. “I don’t know...maybe...I mean, he had a crush on me first and I thought that maybe if I kissed him he’d...remember?” Hyunwoo’s eyes widened. “You kissed him?” he questioned. “I tried to...he stopped me before I could actually do it. And believe me, I feel awful about it...”, Hwanhee answered with a lowered head.

He heard the sizzling as Hyunwoo began to fry some bacon. “When I said sort it out with Dongyeol I didn’t mean try to snatch him from his boyfriend”, the older pointed out. “I know!” Hwanhee snapped, glaring at Hyunwoo who was cracking open an egg, seemingly unbothered by the younger’s outburst.

A few minutes of silence passed, in which Hyunwoo grabbed two plates and started scooping bacon and eggs onto them before setting one in front of Hwanhee and sitting down across from him. Hwanhee hesitated for a moment but then started eating.

“I don’t know what’s gotten into me. I’m usually not like this...”, Hwanhee said. He felt Hyunwoo’s eyes on him but didn’t look up. “I have to get over Dongyeol. That’s the only way if I don’t want to lose him for good. But I don’t know how...”, he said. Hyunwoo hummed. “We’ll find a way”, he said.

Hwanhee did look up at that. “We?” he questioned. Hyunwoo smiled at him. "We." he confirmed.