Chapter 15

Dark Night [Sequel to 'White Night']

Wooseok stayed the night and they ended up cuddling and talking until the early hours of the morning. Dongyeol told Wooseok that his parents came back and that they’d get a divorce.

“I’m not sure where I’m gonna stay yet. My Dad understands me better than my Mom does but I love them both...maybe I should move out completely and save myself the hassle...”, Dongyeol said.

“I’m sure you don’t have to decide right away. You said your parents parted on good terms. And you’re an adult, so you can definitely do whatever is best for yourself. I considered moving out of my parents’ place, too. I mean, I’m already 21, it’s about time.”

Dongyeol chuckled. “You just turned 21, though. I don’t think your parents are in a rush to get rid of you”, he said. Wooseok hummed in agreement. “Maybe not...but I was thinking...”, he trailed off. He shifted around a little and then propped himself onto his elbows. “What if we...you know...move in together?” he suggested. Dongyeol looked at him; the moon outside was the only thing illuminating Wooseok’s face. If Dongyeol had to use one word to describe him, it'd be beautiful...

“We don’t have to! We’ve only been together for a short while, but it was just something that crossed my mind. If we’re both leaving home...we could just...” Dongyeol copied Wooseok’s position, propping himself onto his elbows. He leaned closer to peck the older’s lips. “I like the idea. I’ve lived alone for so many years and you’re the best company I could have”, he said. Wooseok smiled at him and reconnected their lips for a longer kiss.

“We should probably get some sleep...”, Wooseok mumbled, his lips still ghosting over Dongyeol’s. “Probably...”, the younger said before kissing Wooseok again.

Needless to say, they didn’t end up getting much sleep.

~

The next day Dongyeol accompanied him to his doctor’s appointment. “Well, the x-ray looks fine. Was there any discomfort during your last practice yesterday?” the doctor asked. He had given Wooseok permission to participate in Tuesday’s practice under the condition that he’d take it slow. Wooseok shook his head at the doctor’s question.

“Everything was just fine”, he answered. The doctor smiled at him. “In that case, you’re good to go. Don’t overdo yourself, though. If the pain somehow returns, you should come back to get another checkup”, he said. Wooseok got up from the examination table. “Will do, doctor”, he assured him.

Dongyeol got up from his usual chair next to the door and thanked the doctor before he and Wooseok made their way back to the car. “So, the game against the Steels is in around two weeks. A Saturday, I think. We only have three more practices until then, so we should definitely get in some extra training sessions just to-” “Babe, slow down. The team is in good shape these days. We shouldn’t stress ourselves. It’s what the Steels want...”, Dongyeol interrupted his boyfriend, while putting an arm around his shoulders.

“But if we slack off now we won’t be able to win...”, Wooseok complained. Dongyeol chuckled and kissed his cheek. “Is winning everything to you, captain?” he teased. Wooseok pinched the younger’s side. “My pride can’t handle losing to Choi Suwon’s team! I’ll never hear the end of it...and I think it'd be good for Jinwook to win”, he replied, getting more serious at the thought of Jinwook.

Dongyeol gave him a worried look. “I’ve been meaning to ask...is he okay? Like, what’s his deal with Choi Suwon? Did they have, like, a messy breakup or something?” he questioned. Wooseok scrunched up his face. “I think saying that their breakup was messy would be the understatement of the year. I can’t get into detail because it’s not my story to tell but...Choi Suwon treated Jinwook badly...and even that’s an understatement...”, he answered.

Dongyeol didn’t really know what to make of that but he didn’t want to pry any further. He respected Jinwook not wanting everyone to know about his past with Choi Suwon.

“Hwanhee is friends with a Steel, I heard. That dude we saw him with the other day...”, he blurted out, before remembering yesterday’s events with his friend. Wooseok had that old bitter expression on his face again. Dongyeol thought he never had to see it again in connection with Hwanhee, but here it was again.

“He’s befriending the enemy. Doesn’t really surprise me...”, Wooseok mumbled. Dongyeol stopped walking and took the older’s hand. “Do you want me to talk to him again?” he asked. Wooseok shook his head. “Definitely not. He’ll just throw himself at you again. How about I talk to him – with my fists! Wouldn’t be the first time.”

“You’re not going to hit him! He screwed up by trying to kiss me but it’s not like he likes me to piss you off...”, Dongyeol tried to reason with his boyfriend. Wooseok gave him a look. “Is that supposed to make me feel better?” he asked. “We’ll figure this out without another fist fight between you two!” Dongyeol insisted.

~

Jinwook hadn’t expected to meet his ex-boyfriend’s father so soon. He and Kogyeol were in the store, doing some grocery shopping when a male voice came from behind them. “Minsoo?” Kogyeol tensed up a bit when they turned to face the man and he saw Dr Choi smiling at him.

“Oh, hello...”, he greeted stiffly. “It’s good to see you. You rushed off so quickly last time”, Dr Choi said. “Yes, I wasn’t feeling well...I hope you had a nice dinner without me”, Kogyeol answered. Dr Choi’s smile widened. “It was lovely. You definitely have to stay next time! And you must be Jinwook. Chaeyeon has told me a lot about you”, he now addressed Jinwook who bowed.

“Nice to meet you, Dr Choi”, he said politely. “Now, I don’t want to keep you two from shopping. I just wanted to say hello”, Dr Choi told them. He turned to leave but seemed to remember something as he stopped in his tracks and faced them once again. “You two should join us for dinner tonight”, he said.

“Oh...we don’t want to disturb you and my mom...”, Kogyeol tried to decline but Dr Choi waved off. “She’s going to be happy to see you. What do you say? 9 o’clock at the restaurant we went to last time”, he offered again. Jinwook shot Kogyeol a look before looking at the man again. “Will...Suwon be there?” he asked carefully, hoping that Dr Choi wouldn’t catch on Jinwook’s discomfort and question it.

“No, he’s practicing like a madman for the upcoming game. That’s why it would be nice to have some company. I want to get to know my future stepson a bit more”, Dr Choi explained. “Alright...we’ll be there. Thanks for the invite”, Jinwook said and bowed again. Dr Choi seemed happy with the answer and bid his goodbyes before walking away.

“I really don’t know why you did that...”, Kogyeol said bitterly. “Because...he seems really nice. And if I can give him a fair chance, so can you”, Jinwook answered and put two milk cartons into the shopping cart. Kogyeol sighed but decided not to argue with his boyfriend. Especially, since he knew that Jinwook was right. He really shouldn’t project his hatred against Choi Suwon onto his father.

“You’re a good person, you know that?” he spoke up when they were in the sweets section five minutes later. Jinwook looked up at him. “Why?” he questioned. Kogyeol leaned across the cart and pecked his boyfriend’s lips. “You just are. And I really love you for that.”