Chapter 21

Dark Night [Sequel to 'White Night']

HI I'M NOT DEAD I PROMISE!
It's been one damn year since the last update (is anyone even still reading this) but I just can't seem to follow through with this story even though I love it so much. I looked at this half-finished chapter the other day and just wrote a few sentences and boom it was finished. i can't say it's a very good chapter (or a very long one) and i can't say when exactly the next one will be up but if anyone's still reading this, please bear with me because i definitely want to finish it one day!

 

Kogyeol found his mother standing outside, near the entrance of the restaurant where she was lighting up a cigarette.

“Mom...”, he called out to her. She turned around, blowing smoke from . “Are you angry?” he questioned carefully. She approached him. “I’m not angry, Minsoo. I just wish you’d told me...this was completely overwhelming”, she replied honestly. Minsoo lowered his head. “I’m sorry...it was just really, really spontaneous.”

His mother took another drag from her cigarette. “Are you happy?” she questioned. Kogyeol couldn’t help but smile at the question. “I am”, he assured her. “Jinwook is the best thing that ever happened to me.” His mother said nothing for a few moments, just silently finishing her cigarette before putting it out in the ashtray near the entrance.

“I feel like I missed out on so much with you because of how I chose to live my life after your father’s death...”, she finally told him. “It seems like it was just yesterday when you were 12 years old and I feel terrible for basically missing the way you grew up and now you’re married...”

Kogyeol stepped closer to her and took both her hands in his own. “Mom, I’m still your son. I’ll never stop being your son and I’ll never stop looking up to you no matter how old I get”, he assured her. She pulled him into a hug. “You’re still my baby...”, she mumbled. Kogyeol chuckled. “Sure, even though I’m taller than you”, he joked, effectively making her laugh.

“I’m sorry for storming out like this. You know, I support you and Jinwook...”, she apologized as she pulled out of the hug. “It’s alright, mom. I can see how you’d get overwhelmed by something like that”, he replied. She smiled and hooked her arm through his.

“We should probably go back inside...”

~

Back in the restaurant Kogyeol’s mom sat down next to her fiancé again. “Everything alright?” Dr Choi questioned. Kogyeol’s mom nodded, before looking at Jinwook. “I’m sorry for that...congratulations, both of you”, she said with a small but sincere smile on her face. Jinwook smiled back.

“Thanks, Mrs G”, he answered. Kogyeol’s mother chuckled. “I think it’s time you started calling me Chaeyeon. You’re married to my son, after all”, she said to him. Jinwook grinned. “Will do, Chaeyeon”, he complied. “How delightful”, Dr Choi exclaimed. “There’s nothing I treasure more than family.”

“Really, dad? I’d beg to differ,” a new voice spoke up. Jinwook froze, looking at the newcomer, who stood right behind his father. “Suwon”, Dr Choi said, turning in his seat to look at his son. Jinwook didn’t miss the worried glance the doctor shot him. “How nice of you to join us”, Chaeyeon told him with a smile.

“Can’t say I was invited, though”, Suwon muttered bitterly. “That’s because you weren’t”, Kogyeol answered, trying his hardest to contain his anger. Jinwook placed a hand on his thigh to keep him calm. “Minsoo”, Chaeyeon reprimanded him. “It’s okay”, Jinwook whispered to his husband. “No, it’s not. I don’t want him anywhere near you!” Kogyeol replied.

Suwon seemed unbothered and plopped down into the seat next to his father. “So, what did I miss so far”, he asked. Kogyeol gritted his teeth. “Suwon, it’s not nice to show up uninvited”, Dr Choi told his son. “Aw, but I’m family, aren’t I?” Suwon asked, sounding spiteful. “And there’s nothing you treasure more than family. Your words, not mine!” He then looked at Jinwook. “Miss me?” Jinwook said nothing, his palms clamming up. He was still scared of this guy, but he wouldn’t cause a scene in the middle of a restaurant with his father present, would he?

“Suwon!” Dr Choi spoke up, rising from his seat. “Why don’t I take you home? I’m sure you have to be up early tomorrow!” Suwon looked like he wanted to argue, but followed his father, nonetheless, not without shooting Kogyeol a vicious glare, though. Jinwook was glad he didn’t decide to act up more because Kogyeol looked like he was about to snap at any given minute. Dr Choi led his son out of the restaurant after a short apology to his fiancée and the two young men.

“Can someone please tell me what the hell just happened?” Chaeyeon questioned once Dr Choi and Suwon had left the restaurant. Jinwook and Kogyeol shared a look. Dr Choi already knew, so it didn’t make much sense to keep it from her.

“There’s something you need to know...”