Chapter 11

Dark Night [Sequel to 'White Night']

The last thing Kogyeol expected when he walked into the restaurant, which he was meeting his mother and soon-to-be stepfather at, was Choi Suwon sitting at the table with them and talking to his mother. Kogyeol’s blood was boiling again, remembering their confrontation earlier today. He took a deep breath and walked over to them.

“Ah, Minsoo, there you are!” his Mom exclaimed once she’d spotted him. He smiled at her and gave her a kiss on the cheek before sitting down. “Sorry, I’m late...there was lots of traffic”, he apologized, avoiding Choi Suwon’s smug face entirely. Dr Choi smiled at him.

“Well, I’m sure, you’ve met my son, Suwon”, he said in a cheerful tone. Kogyeol tried his hardest to keep his composure. “Yes, I have...we’ll be playing against each other in the finals...”, he answered through gritted teeth. “Oh and I’m also acquainted with some of Minsoo’s...friends”, Suwon threw in and Kogyeol didn’t even have to see his face to see the slimy grin on it.

Unfortunately, neither his mother nor Dr Choi seemed to notice. In fact, Kogyeol’s Mom’s face brightened up. “Really? It’s good to know that you’re getting along, since you’re on rival teams and all!” she exclaimed happily. Kogyeol would have loved to correct her and tell her that he would rather cut his right hand off than even try to befriend Choi Suwon. However, he knew how much this evening meant to her so he refrained from telling her the truth and settled for smiling through the pain.

“Oh, yes...I’m sure we’ll be very close”, Suwon brown-nosed. “You know what, Minsoo? I feel like you should bring Jinwook to our next get-together. Since he’s almost part of the family it would make sense for them to meet him, don’t you think?” Mrs Go proposed. Kogyeol winced.

“Um...I’ll ask him”, he lied, now actually looking at Choi Suwon. “Didn’t you date someone named Jinwook before?” Dr Choi asked his son whose grin widened. “Funny you should mention that, father. This is actually the exact same Jinwook. I only found out today”, he said. Kogyeol’s hands balled into fists.

“What a small world...”, Mrs Go commented. Kogyeol wanted to leave. He couldn’t sit through an entire dinner with that sleazeball. “Yeah, I really wouldn’t mind seeing him again”, Suwon said, staring directly at Kogyeol as if to challenge him. The latter rose to his feet but refrained from punching Choi Suwon in the face.

“What’s wrong, darling?” Mrs Go questioned. Kogyeol took a deep breath. “Nothing, Mom...I just...don’t feel too well”, he lied. She gave him a worried look. “I’m going to be fine. Maybe it’s better if I get some rest...I wasn’t that hungry anyway”, Kogyeol told her. “There’s always next time”, Dr Choi said in a friendly tone. Kogyeol just nodded before excusing himself and fleeing the restaurant before he lost his temper.

He got into Jinwook’s car and drove off. He didn’t want to go directly home, though, so he decided to just drive around for a while to blow off some steam. How could Choi Suwon shamelessly talk about Jinwook like they had had the most peaceful breakup ever? Was it really just to set Kogyeol off? Either way, he was beyond pissed and glad that he got out of there before Dr Choi had to watch Kogyeol break his son's nose.

~

“Suwon is actually not that bad once you get to know him.” Hwanhee laughed. “You don’t expect me to believe that, do you?” he asked and took a sip from his coffee before setting his mug down on his nightstand. Hyunwoo who sat next to him on his bed joined in on his laughter. “No, I’m actually still trying to believe it myself...he’s an ...but ice hockey is my passion and the Steels are the best team, no offense”, he replied. Hwanhee smirked. “We’ll see about who’s the better team!” Hyunwoo just grinned at him. “Prepare to get your kicked!” he warned playfully.

“So...I know you said no talking about Dongyeol...” Hwanhee’s smile dropped at the mention of his best friend. “Yes and I meant that”, he clarified. Hyunwoo looked at him. “Have you ever tried getting over him, though? Like...try to find a boyfriend or something...”, he asked. Hwanhee frowned. “I’m not into guys!” he argued.

Hyunwoo scooted a little closer to him. “But you’re into Dongyeol...”, he reminded him. Hwanhee sighed and nodded. “I guess so...but I can’t be into guys. I’ve been with girls my whole life! You don’t understand”, he said desperately. Hyunwoo took his hand. “Listen, liking guys doesn’t mean that you can’t like girls anymore. Nothing is just black and white. And I understand more than you might think!” he assured the younger.

“When I was in high school, I was on the basketball team. And my teammates were often talking about which girls they’d like to bang or what kinds of things they were doing with their girlfriends...meanwhile, I had experience with girls but I also had the hots for our team captain. I knew I couldn’t tell anyone because I’d never get to hear the end of it. My life would have been a living hell. I told myself I had to like girls and that liking guys was out of the question...”, Hyunwoo explained. Hwanhee looked at him.

“Then what?” he questioned. Hyunwoo smiled slightly. “I graduated...I started college and I noticed how I began not to give a about other people’s opinions about me. You, though...you have a whole ice hockey team that would totally accept you for who you are. But it’s not going to end well if you and Dongyeol don’t sort things out...”, he told the younger.

Hwanhee sighed. Deep inside he knew that Hyunwoo was right. He had to talk to Dongyeol but that would mean telling him what the issue was. And he didn’t want his best friend to find out about that, especially since he still vividly remembered his last fist fight with Wooseok, which had also kind of been about Dongyeol. The older would surely find out that Hwanhee liked his boyfriend in a more-than-friends kind of way – and he wouldn’t like it.

“Well, it's getting pretty late. I should probably get going. Suwon wants all of us at practice tomorrow...”, Hyunwoo said, softly patting Hwanhee’s hand before he got up from his bed. The younger copied him and led him to the front door.

“Um, thanks for the ride home...and for, you know...being there...”, Hwanhee told him shyly. Hyunwoo smiled. “No problem. Don’t forget to call this time. I’d really like for us to be friends, at least”, he offered. The younger returned his smile and nodded. “That would be great...well, then...get home safe...”

He watched Hyunwoo get in his car and drive away before heading back to his room and letting out a deep sigh. He knew the right thing to do. The question was if he was selfless enough to let Dongyeol go and be happy with Wooseok.

‘Find a boyfriend or something.’ That was easier said than done. When Hwanhee pictured himself with a guy, he couldn’t help but think about Dongyeol. Maybe it was an unhealthy crush, severely damaging to their relationship, but Hwanhee didn’t know how finding himself a boyfriend would help him. So, he decided not to do anything about the situation and let it play out.

Part of him still hoped that Dongyeol hadn’t completely erased his feelings for him. Maybe he’d come to his senses, eventually...