Chapter 20

Dark Night [Sequel to 'White Night']

Oh my god, I'm really sorry for not updating for months! I just completely lost inspiration for it. I would just sit in front of my Word document n stare at what I have and I couldn't write a single word. I finally overcame that tho lol

While I kinda put this fic on hold tho, I started writing a Stray Kids Hogwarts AU one shot series, called 'I am NOT!' So if any of you guys happen to be skz stans, I'd appreciate it if you would check it out!

Anyway, let's get started. I hope I haven't lost my touch for this fic!

 

Practice rolled around the next day but Jinwook and Kogyeol decided to postpone their announcement by a few hours. They’d invite their teammates to milkshakes and tell them at the diner.

“Okay, guys...since the game is in one and a half weeks I think we should set an extra practice for Wednesday just to make sure...”, Wooseok said in the changing room. “Don’t worry, captain. We’re gonna beat the Steels and wipe the arrogant smile off Choi Suwon’s face!” Sungjun piped up.

“We sure will. But for now, let’s get some milkshakes. Jinwook and I have an announcement to make”, Kogyeol told them. Before anyone could ask more questions, though, he dragged Jinwook out of the changing room as they headed towards the car.

“Are you excited to tell them?” Jinwook questioned while starting the engine. Kogyeol smiled. “I’m excited to officially show you off as my husband”, he answered. Jinwook’s face broke into a grin. “I could really get used to that”, he said. “And you will. You’re not going to get rid of me now”, Kogyeol told the older said.

~

“So, what’s the big announcement?” Dongyeol questioned once they had arrived at the diner and were all seated and everyone had a milkshake in front of them. Jinwook and Kogyeol shared a look before the older spoke up: “We got married yesterday.”

The reactions were just as they had expected. A few of their teammates looked shocked, Wooseok and Sooil shouted “What?!” at the same time and a few of them chuckled like they expected this to be a prank.

“You’re ing with us!” Changhyun exclaimed. “We know you’re domestic as but you didn’t actually get married...did you?!” Gyujin asked. Kogyeol smirked and held up his hand, the silver wedding ring proudly sitting on his ring finger.

“You really got married?!” Wooseok questioned disbelievingly, reaching out for his best friend’s hand and closely inspecting the ring. “I can’t believe you didn’t tell me!” “It was a rather spontaneous decision”, Jinwook explained. “Actually, we got unofficially engaged first but this one couldn’t wait anymore so we just...”, he trailed off. “Eloped?” Wooseok finished his friend’s sentence. Jinwook grinned and nodded.

The others slowly but surely started to look less shocked. “I’m really happy for you guys! You were practically married anyway”, Yein finally spoke up. “We should celebrate that!” Dongyeol suggested. “Yeah, after the game. I know for a fact that Wooseok will not enjoy himself at a party before we beat the Steels”, Kogyeol said. Wooseok gave him a mock-offended look but didn’t argue.

“How about Saturday right after the game at my place?” Hwanhee suggested. It was a little surprising to say the least, considering Hwanhee hadn’t really seemed eager to spend much time with his friends lately. “Sure”, Jinwook agreed. “It’s settled, then!” Gyujin exclaimed.

“Now all that’s left is to tell my Mom...”

~

Kogyeol’s mother was more than surprised when her son called to invite her and (after some convincing from Jinwook’s side) Dr Choi out for dinner the next day. Kogyeol couldn’t help but feel a little nervous about the announcement he and Jinwook were about to make. He had no idea how his mother would take it...

“She’s not going to murder you if that’s what you’re worried about”, Jinwook assured him as they walked into the restaurant. “I know, but I’m still kind of scared of her reaction”, Kogyeol replied. “It’s gonna be okay, I’m sure.”

They approached the table they had reserved and waited for Kogyeol’s mom and Dr Choi to arrive. Kogyeol kept rubbing his hands on his jeans nervously, causing Jinwook to just take one of his hands and give it a reassuring squeeze. It calmed him down significantly, though not completely.

Finally, Kogyeol’s Mom and Dr Choi arrived and joined them at the table. Greetings were exchanged and Kogyeol’s nervousness began to settle again. They ordered something to drink before his mother finally questioned the reason for their sudden dinner invitation.

“Well, we, um...”, Kogyeol started. “We wanted to tell you something...” Jinwook squeezed his hand again. “So, the other day...I proposed to Jinwook”, the younger said. His Mom’s eyes widened in surprise. “You did? That’s amazing!” she exclaimed happily.

“The thing is we already got married the next morning and we’re sorry we didn’t tell you, but it was super spontaneous”, Kogyeol blurted out before he could chicken out. A somewhat shocked silence followed, in which Kogyeol didn’t dare to look into his mother’s eyes.

She got up suddenly, mumbling something along the lines of “excuse me...” before she left the restaurant. Dr Choi was about to go after her when Kogyeol rose as well. “I’ll go talk to her...”, he announced and followed his mother outside, leaving Jinwook and Dr Choi behind.

~

“You have to excuse Chaeyeon. I think she’s just surprised, is all”, Dr Choi spoke up after a while of awkward silence between him and Jinwook. The latter smiled. “I can imagine that. I’m not holding it against her...”, he replied. He didn’t really expect her reaction to be much different. He probably would have reacted similarly if his only son had just gotten married without any kind of warning.

“I still want to congratulate you, though”, Dr Choi said, and he sounded genuine. Jinwook’s smile widened. “Thank you.” “I can’t say that I know you or Minsoo very well, but you two seem right for each other”, the doctor told him. Jinwook sure hoped so. It was safe to say that Kogyeol was the love of his life, no doubt. Marrying him had felt righter than anything he had ever done before that.

“I’m really happy to be your stepfather-in-law soon. This way I might be able to make up for what my son did to you”, he continued. Jinwook’s eyes widened slightly. “H-how do you know about that?” he asked. He had thought about telling Dr Choi about what had happened between him and Suwon. He wouldn’t have imagined that he already knew.

“I don’t know any details, but when I saw your face the other day when I mentioned him, I figured that you were the guy my son used to be obsessed with...”, Dr Choi said in a sad tone of voice. “I didn’t have a very good relationship with him back then, but a friend of his told me what he did to you, out of worry...that's when I reached out to him and convinced him to get therapy...”

Jinwook looked down at his drink. So, Suwon had been to therapy? That revelation made Jinwook hope that he stopped treating other people like he had treated him. Unfortunately, no amount of therapy could cure the guy’s behavior, considering how he behaved when Jinwook ran into him with the rest of the team.

“I’m sorry, Jinwook. I didn’t mean to bring it up so suddenly...”, Dr Choi apologized. Jinwook looked at him and waved his hands. “No, it’s okay. Ever since I’ve met him again, I’ve started finally dealing with it to completely get over it...”, he admitted. “Does Minsoo know?” Dr Choi questioned. Jinwook nodded.

“He was really angry, but I’ve managed to calm him down...” “I’m truly sorry for what he did. I never raised my son to be violent”, Dr Choi told him. Jinwook smiled faintly. “I know, it’s not your fault, doctor. He’s your son, but that doesn’t mean that you are responsible for all his actions. I just hope that he never does it again...”, he voiced his concern.

Dr Choi seemed somewhat relieved. He figured that he really must have been worried about Jinwook blaming him for everything. He knew that Dr Choi was a way better person than Suwon, but that didn’t stop him from hoping that maybe one day Suwon would grow up to be more like his dad.

 

It's not my best, but at least I finally updated :D