Chapter 10

Dark Night [Sequel to 'White Night']

“Are you okay?” Kogyeol questioned the same evening when the they were back at the older’s place. Jinwook looked at him and gave him a reassuring smile.

“Babe, I was fine in the car, when we got home, before and after our shower and I’m also fine now...you really don’t need to worry about me”, he replied with a slightly teasing undertone. He paused the show they were watching on Kogyeol’s laptop and sat up on the bed to face the younger completely.

“Seriously, though...seeing him wasn’t pleasant but we have to play against his team, so I have to endure it”, Jinwook said in a more earnest tone. Kogyeol sat up as well. “If I don’t murder him first, that is...”, he pointed out. Jinwook gave him a serious look.

“Don’t attack him. He wants to get a rise out of you...don’t give him the satisfaction.” Kogyeol sighed. He knew that Jinwook was right but the way Choi Suwon was talking about him earlier just made Kogyeol’s blood boil with anger.

“Now, it’s almost 7...weren’t you going to meet your Mom and Dr Choi for dinner?” Jinwook switched subjects. Kogyeol checked the time on his laptop and got out of bed. “Right...can I borrow your car?” he asked. Jinwook nodded. “It’s all yours...”, he replied.

Kogyeol got ready, which didn’t take long since he’d already showered earlier. He walked over to Jinwook, who was still sitting on the bed, and pressed a kiss onto his forehead. “Will you come back after dinner?” the older asked.

“Of course”, Kogyeol answered with a fond smile before taking Jinwook’s car keys from the dining table and leaving with a last “Love you.” “Love you, too...”, Jinwook said and waited until the front door slammed shut before he fell back on the bed.

He loved Kogyeol but he was glad he was not going to be around for the next few hours. Jinwook wasn’t sure how long he could keep the act up. His hands were shaky and he felt like bursting into tears.

He had really believed that he was completely over what had happened with Choi Suwon but he hadn’t seen him more than once or twice (and only from afar) after their breakup.

Running into him today made Jinwook remember the other’s fists connecting with his face multiple times, his foot placing a single, hard kick to his stomach and the venomous words before he left Jinwook lying on his dorm room floor: ‘You just made a mistake. Nobody’s ever going to love you like I did!’

If Kogyeol knew about Jinwook’s anxiety, he would probably kill Choi Suwon. He’d brushed the whole incident off when he told Kogyeol what had happened.

Jinwook pulled his phone out of his pocket sending a short text to Wooseok. The younger was the only one who had actually seen the condition Jinwook had been in back then, he had been the person Jinwook could confide in. He felt bad for making Wooseok keep it a secret, especially since Kogyeol was his best friend but he just didn’t want the younger to worry more than he already did.

~

30 minutes later a knock on the door made Jinwook get up and open. Wooseok stood on his doorstep with a worried expression. “Are you alright?” he questioned. Jinwook nodded, his hands still shaking, as he let Wooseok inside. The younger waited for Jinwook to close the door before reaching for both his hands and pulling him over to the dining area.

“Talk to me, hyung...”, Wooseok pleaded. Jinwook let out a shaky breath. “I told Kogyeol about what happened between me and Choi Suwon...”, he admitted. Wooseok nodded. “I figured...” “But now he’s worried and I keep telling him that I’m fine and I really thought I was, but...turns out I’m not...” A single tear escaped Jinwook’s eye and Wooseok wiped it away before pulling the older into a hug.

“Why won’t you tell him that?” Wooseok questioned carefully. Jinwook sniffled and pulled back wiping at his eyes. “Because...you saw him today...what do you think he’ll do when he knows that I feel like I’m re-experiencing everything when that guy is less than 10 feet away? Besides, his Mom is marrying Suwon’s Dad...I...”, he paused. “I don’t want to be the reason his new family doesn’t work out...”

Wooseok sighed. He could see where Jinwook was coming from. From what he had heard Dr Choi seemed like a nice guy and he might actually become a good stepfather for Kogyeol. Even if his best friend was already an adult, Wooseok knew that he missed having a father figure in his life. Jinwook seemed to know it, too.

“I just don’t want to be selfish...”, Jinwook added. Wooseok looked at his friend. “You’re the last person that’s selfish. If you don’t feel comfortable near Choi Suwon, Kogyeol should know. And if you don’t want to play in three weeks-” “No, I do want to play...I don’t want to let the team down. And I can’t run from this forever...I want to get over it completely. It seems like I mostly repressed what I really felt. I will be fine...and I will tell Kogyeol soon...”

Wooseok nodded in understanding. Jinwook seemed to slowly calm down. “Alright...let’s change subjects”, he said before taking a deep breath.

“How are things with you and Dongyeol?” Wooseok blushed at the question, remembering the previous night. Jinwook seemed to catch up on his trail of thoughts. He smirked. “That good, huh?” he teased.

Wooseok chuckled. “Yeah, that good...he’s amazing”, he swooned. “Too much information”, Jinwook joked. “I meant in general!” Wooseok clarified, his blush intensifying. Jinwook cackled. Wooseok rolled his eyes at his evil hyung. As long as it distracted Jinwook from Choi Suwon, Wooseok could deal with jokes being made at his expense.