What is Love?

The Publicity Stunt [Slow Updates]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

(+/+) - Flashback

Mina was in her bed yet again. After breaking her own record on the mobile version of Diner Dash for the umpteenth time, she switched off her screen and sighed, looking for something else to do. She bit her lip before turning her phone on again and dropping down the notification bar.

Like the other days since Twice had gone on break, Mina found her hopes crushed again as there wasn’t any news from a certain Japanese dancer she had been hoping to hear from. Mina refreshed her notifications just in case, hoping that it would make a change. However, she was only met with another disappointment. Mina sighed in defeat again before holding the phone to her chest and staring up at the ceiling.

"I should have gotten his number instead." Mina mumbled to herself. She then bit her bottom lip again. “Boys are incompetent sometimes.”

“Maybe he doesn’t like you that way, Myoui.” She mumbled again, putting herself down. Why does Mina torture herself like this?

The Japanese idol shook her head in hopes to get rid of the negative thoughts flooding her system, “No, there’s no way I read the signs wrong.”

With one final check at her phone notifications, which has not changed since 10 seconds ago when she last checked it- Mina groaned before flipping her phone over, lying it face down on the bed and rolled away from it.

After two rolls, Mina was at the edge of her queen sized bed. She stared up to the ceiling again before sighing. She stretched her hands out in front of her and started singing… or maybe wailing.

“I wanna know
하루 종일 웃고 있다는데
(How it keeps you smiling all day)”

Mina sighed, finding it funny how she was finally, finally relating to the lyrics of the song after years of it being released. Letting the lyrics sink in, Mina realises that it’s one of those rare moments again where she finds the strings of her heart being tugged. Being an idol at a young age and receiving the amount of love Twice did, Mina had never really gotten the opportunity to date much since she was always too busy or too tired even to actually think of being in a relationship. Plus, her having an introverted personality didn’t quite help either.

“I wanna know
세상이 다 아름답다는데
(How the whole world turns beautiful)”

Mina knows she’s behaving like a love-struck teenager but she couldn’t care less. After meeting Momo again during their stop in Japan a few weeks ago, Mina had allowed herself to step out of that little ‘let’s just forget about it’ bubble and was willing and ready to take a chance. She remembered the way her heart trembled when she gave him her number and told him that she’s looking forward to hearing from him. But it has been weeks and Momo still has yet to appear on her phone screen.

“I wanna know know know know, what is love?
언젠간 나에게도 사랑이 올까
(Will love come to me someday?)”

“Will it?” Mina sighed. She was so lost in thoughts that she had not registered the presence of another being in the room.

“Okay, what’s up with you?” A voice broke her out of her thoughts and caused her to jump and roll off the bed and hid behind it- her form of self-defence.

Mina stayed as still as anything behind the bed, making the intruder unable to spot her. However, once the sound of an all too familiar laughter that broke through the air, Mina revealed herself again before glaring at the said intruder.

“Nayeon unnie! Don’t do that to me.” The penguin like member pouted while trying to keep on her angry face. Nayeon’s laughter started to calm down and she patted the spot next to her on the bed, beckoning the younger girl to sit with her.

“Mianhe, but you’ve been in your room quietly for days now. And suddenly, I hear your horrible rendition of one of our hit songs and I just had to come in and ensure that justice is served.” Nayeon cheekily explained.

Mina scrunched up her face, not appreciating the teasing done by her unnie only to have her head patted as a silent apology. Just like that, all was forgiven and all was forgotten… well, not really,

“So, what’s up?” Nayeon asked as she adjusted herself on the bed, shifting backwards, allowing her feet to be lifted off of the ground as she looked at the younger girl in genuine care.

“Nothing.” Mina mumbled, turning shy. Nayeon raised her eyebrows before giving Mina a light shove.

“It’s about Momo, isn’t it?” At the mention of the Japanese dancer, Mina tensed up and felt the heat rise up to her cheeks.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” Mina said, doing her best to refrain from glancing towards her older group member.

“Mina…” Nayeon called but the girl before her just kept twiddling her fingers together- a habit the latter had when trying to avoid something. Nayeon inwardly rolled her eyes at the adorability of the younger member and stretched her arm around Mina’s shoulder.

“Mina, it’s me. You can talk to me about anything.” Nayeon assured her. Mina finally looked up and sighed when she realised that she couldn’t escape the older girl.

“It’s nothing. It’s just that…” Mina trailed off, trying to find the right words. Nayeon nodded and pushed a loose strand of hair away from Mina’s face, letting the latter know that she’s listening.

The penguin like girl groaned in frustration at the whole situation again before she pouted, “Why hasn’t he called?”

“Aww Minari! Hey, he’ll call.” Nayeon said as she pulled Mina closer and leant her head on the younger girl’s shoulder.

“When?” Mina whined. Nayeon found the younger girl adorable. It was rare for Mina to show this side of her.

“Give him some time, Mina. You said it yourself that he’s the only other person you ever met that is shyer than you.” Nayeon reasoned.

Mina pouted before nodding slowly, “I guess you’re right.”

“And even if he doesn’t call, don’t be discouraged okay?” Nayeon assured, “You’re an amazing girl and it’s his lost if he can’t see that.”

Upon hearing Nayeon’s sincere words, Mina managed to crack a smile. “Thanks, unnie.”

“Hey!” Nayeon suddenly called out, lifting her head off of Mina’s shoulders- startling the girl before her. “You know what you need?”

“What?” Mina asked.

“You need a great day out with your favourite unnie!” Nayeon announced with a wide grin. Mina bit her bottom lip, considering Nayeon’s suggestion.

“I don’t know, Nayeon unnie. I’m actually really busy today.”

“Doing what? Lying in bed?” Nayeon scoffed.

“It’s harder than it looks, unnie!” Mina defended weakly.

“Yeah, sure it is!” came Nayeon’s sarcastic comment.

“Why don’t you try asking Jihyo or Dahyun?” Mina suggested, desperately trying to get out of being Nayeon’s plus one for the day.

“Jihyo’s on a date and Dahyun’s in Jeju.” Nayeon deflected. Mina opened again but was swiftly cut off by the older idol.

“Sana has a press conference and line-reading today.” Nayeon stated, knowing full well that the younger girl was going to suggest the other Japanese of their friendship circle.

Mina groaned internally, the gears in her head working double time to find something, anything at all to get out of Nayeon’s date offer.

“Come on, I stayed by your side through your love issues!” Nayeon exclaimed. Mina then cocked her head to one side before raising her eyebrows at Nayeon.

“But unnie, that’s because you’re nosey.” Came Mina’s witty remark.

After rolling her eyes briefly, Nayeon clasp her hands together before pouting, “Come on Mina! Let’s go hang out and have fun!”

At the sight of Nayeon infamous pout, Mina inwardly groaned- knowing full well that she won’t be able to say no to the nation’s sweetheart this time. Mina sighed, giving in.

“Fine!”

Nayeon squealed and hugged the younger girl before telling Mina to get ready as she left the younger member’s room to get ready herself.

 

Sana had just finished getting her make up done when there was a knock on the door. Sana spun around at the sound of the doorknob turning and in waltz her manager. Sana hadn’t seen her manager all day since Hyejin was called to JYPE headquarters to sit in on a meeting with the publicity team. Due to Sana’s tight schedule for the day, the actress was unable to attend the meeting but she was sure that Hyejin would fill her in on it once the day’s work is done.

It so happens that Sana’s unscheduled date with Tzuyu splashed on the news front page that morning when a fan had recognised them at a café near AMuzic Records the day before. Since it was an unscheduled date that surfaced in the media, the publicity team held a meeting to discuss the reactions and aftermath of the situation- to overall see if the plan was still favourable.

“So, someone went on a date yesterday without informing me.” Hyejin said in a monotone as she entered Sana’s dressing room before throwing herself on the vacant sofa in the room.

“Unnie, I’m so sorry. I swear I didn’t mean to get caught.” Sana started panicking. The last thing she wanted was for Hyejin to be mad or disappointed in her.

“Girl, its fine.” Hyejin assured as she waved her hand casually before lying down, attempting to get a more comfortable position on the sofa. “You’re even helping your own situation.”

“Really? So… it’s okay?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter