Dates (Part III)

The Publicity Stunt [Slow Updates]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: I’m still trying to figure out how DubChaeng’s story will evolve so it’s still a little bit fuzzy but I hope you like it! <3

Chaeyoung had stared at his phone for the longest time in the world just re-reading the text he received from a certain long lost friend of his.

From Kim Dahyun:
Hey! I’m back in town from the family vacation.
I was wondering if you wanted to hang out.
There’s this art gallery I’ve been wanting to visit since forever!

Don’t get him wrong. Chaeyoung was thankful that Dahyun was staying true to her words about catching up once they were both back in Seoul. However, he can’t lie and say that he wasn’t hesitant of everything.

It had been years since he last saw Dahyun before running into her in the airline lounge. They lost touch ever since Twice started getting busy with their schedule and Chaeyoung had entered a prestigious technical school. They were best of friends growing up but it was so long ago that Chaeyoung felt self-conscious of it all. Dahyun was one of the hottest celebrities in the country, in Asia really and he was just another architect with a nine-to-five office job. While deep down, he knows that Dahyun would never look at him different now that their lives were so different, he had his own doubts if rekindling their friendship was a good idea.

Chaeyoung swivelled his chair around and sighed. He couldn’t run away from the fact that the main reason why he was so hesitant to meet Dahyun again was because she was his first love. They were best friends but Chaeyoung would be lying if he were to say that he didn’t have stronger feelings for the girl. It all started when they were in primary school. They were always inseparable. Dahyun was a year above him and they always looked out for each other no matter what. Chaeyoung had always admired Dahyun and he thought it was ‘normal’ until secondary school where he realised that he felt butterflies whenever Dahyun looked at him. At first he had thought nothing of it but then after always getting teased by their parents who joked that they would grow up and marry each other- Chaeyoung started to realise that it didn’t sound like a bad idea at all.

But life was never easy. Shortly after Chaeyoung had decided he would pursue Dahyun’s heart, Dahyun got accepted into the three biggest entertainment agencies in the country. He decided that perhaps there was a better time and place and decided to delay the information. When Dahyun was in her trainee years, they were still in contact and he recalls those times when the girl returned home looking so tired and drained but still beams his way with that killer smile of hers. He recalls how they would hang out at the Kim family’s front porch after Dahyun had spent at least 26 hours sleeping and she would tell him about her training regime, her struggles and her determination to debut and also her dreams; new and old.

Times got harder when Dahyun’s family had relocated to be nearer to the city. Chaeyoung recalled how he had gotten older back then and his feelings for Dahyun only got stronger. They tried the whole calling, texting and keeping in touch thing for a while but it eventually faded in the midst of chasing their dreams. To say he was hurt that Dahyun had left his life would be dramatic but he did miss her.

Snapping himself out of his trance, he focused his attention on his phone screen and typed a reply. It had been years since he had seen Dahyun. He wasn’t sure if he still felt strongly for her but one thing was for sure- he missed her.

 

Chaeyoung had arrived to the art gallery Dahyun mentioned about in the text earlier. They had decided to meet up there to hangout for the day. Chaeyoung had stepped through the gallery entranced and his eyes skimmed the floor to find the idol in question.

“Chaeng!” A bright voice called out.

Chaeyoung spun around, a little bit surprised at the name he was called – It had been a while since he last heard it.

“Oh hey!” Chaeyoung greeted back as Dahyun took big strides towards him.

“Thanks so much for agreeing to hang out with me! This is going to be so much fun!” Dahyun said as she shot Chaeyoung an excited grin.

“Y-Yeah. No problem.” Chaeyoung assured her.

“Let’s go then.” Dahyun said excitedly before dragging Chaeyoung towards the security.

“It’s not packed today. We’re so lucky.” Dahyun observed as she looked around the vicinity once they were past security clearance.  

“Indeed. Good thing we planned this through.” Chaeyoung said as if Dahyun didn’t just mention it a few minutes before texting him.

The idol knew him too well to know that he was teasing her. Instead of getting worked up about it, she genuinely found it funny and let a laugh out.

“I know.” Dahyun retorted, playing along.

 

Chaeyoung and Dahyun were walking around the gallery looking at the different pieces of art work when a young girl approached them shyly. The said girl gently tapped Dahyun’s waist, causing the idol to look down.

“Excuse me miss, are you Dahyun unnie from Twice?” The little girl asked.

Instead of answering immediately, Dahyun squatted down so that she’ll be in eye-level with the girl before she smiled kindly.

“I am.” The idol nodded, “What’s your name, sweetie?”

“Lee Suji imnida.” The little girl answered shyly as she played with the hem of her dress.

“Hi Suji. Are you here alone?” Dahyun asked, still maintaining the level of politeness and sweetness even though she was genuinely concerned. However the little girl put her heart at ease when she shook her head almost immediately.

“No. I’m here with my mother.” The girl said as she turned around and pointed to the lady who was standing a few feet away, keeping an eye on her daughter.

Dahyun got up as much as she could to bow respectfully to the lady who was in her mid-30s who returned the bow. The woman flashed an apologetic smile at Dahyun – afraid that the little one’s presence was interrupting her day. Dahyun smiled to assure her that it was perfectly fine. She felt the girl tug at her pants and squatted down again, smiling curiously at the young girl.

“Are you here with your boyfriend?” The little girl asked innocently as she played with the hem of her dress, giving shy glances to Chaeyoung.

“Oh?” Dahyun let out a confused sound before she remembered her companion for the day, “Oh! No, no, sweetheart.”

She glanced up to Chaeyoung who seemed to have taken a few steps back, giving the idol and fan some space to interact. Dahyun internally smiled – thankful for the consideration. She turned back to the little girl in front of her and gently grabbed the girl’s hands, playing with it gently.

“Do you know where Seongnam is?” Dahyun asked the girl in a very kind manner.

“Nae.” Suji answered proudly.

“You’re such a clever girl!” Dahyun cooed making the little girl turn bashful.

“Unnie is originally from Seongnam,” Dahyun explained referring to herself as she placed her hand on her chest before she gestured to Chaeyoung getting his attention, “and this is my best friend from there.”

When Dahyun had gestured to him, he smiled kindly as he too squatted down in front of Suji. He smiled charmingly at the little girl, causing her cheeks to flush red before he chuckled.

“Hello there, pretty lady,” Chaeyoung greeted Suji making her even more shy, “I’m Chaeyoung. It’s such a pleasure to meet you acquaintance.”

Chaeyoung held his hand out for Suji to shake. After a moment of intense shyness and little glances at her mother who encouraged her to shake Chaeyoung’s hand, Suji reached out and place her little hand into Chaeyoung’s and they shook hands gently.

“We’ve been friends since we were about your age.” Chaeyoung told the little girl whose eye’s widened in surprise.

“Really?” Suji asked, astonished.

“You bet!” Chaeyoung nodded.

The three fell into a few seconds of silence before Suji shyly looked down before looking up again just to steal glances at Chaeyoung.

“You’re really handsome.” Suji said oh so shyly that made Chaeyoung and Dahyun hearts both melt.

“I am? Why thank you, kind miss.” Chaeyoung smiled charmingly at her again.

“Hey! What about me?” Dahyun whined, pouting at the little girl who seemed to have forgotten just who she had been attracted to in the first place.

“You’re pretty!” Suji exclaimed with a huge smile, doing her best to cheer Dahyun up.

Instead, Dahyun crossed her arms and mocked hurt, “Dahyun unnie is hurt because you like Chaeyoung oppa better.”

“No, I like unnie the best!” Suji exclaimed as she reached forward and placed her small hands on Dahyun’s shoulder- patting it lightly in attempt to console the sulking idol.

“Really?” Dahyun asked as she side-eyed the little girl.

Dahyun almost laughed when Suji nodded her head so vigorously- trying to prove that she wasn’t lying. Then, Dahyun uncrossed her arms and let a grin make its way back to her face.  

“Promise?” Dahyun challenged the little girl who immediately nodded enthusiastically and Dahyun broke out into the biggest grin ever. “Yay!”

Before Suji could continue to speak to Dahyun, her mother came by her side and to retrieve the young girl.

“Suji honey, we should get going now.” The older woman said in a kind tone.

She gently grabbed Suji’s hand before turning to the two and smiling kindly at them for treating her daughter so well, “I am so sorry for the bother.”

Dahyun and Chaeyoung stood up straight and smiled back, “No, not at all. Don’t worry about it. It was my pleasure.”

Suji’s mother’s eyes soften as Dahyun assured her it was all alright. The woman gently tugged at Suji’s arm affectionately before bending down to speak to the child.

“Suji, let’s say goodbye to unnie and oppa and thank them for being so nice hmm?” She suggested, looking the little girl in the eyes and giving her a pointed look.

Suji nodded and was about to bow to Dahyun and Chaeyoung before Dah

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter