Dates (Part I)

The Publicity Stunt [Slow Updates]
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: I don’t know the first thing about baking or owning cafés so please excuse the ignorance.

Jeongyeon was currently in the bakery preparing his batches for the day’s sales. Music from his personalised playlist was playing at a decent level through the speakers as he worked expertly at his work station. After he had put the current batch of milk bread into the oven, he saw a silhouette from the kitchen door window and furrowed his eyebrows.

“What in the world?” Jeongyeon had mumbled to himself before he grabbed the first thing he could reach which was a stale baguette from yesterday’s batch.

Jeongyeon definitely wasn’t a scaredy-cat but it was the early hours of morning and no one was meant to be lurking around- what more inside the bakery. He pushed through the kitchen doors carefully and looked around the restaurant. His eyebrows furrowed when he was met with an empty venue and let his guard down.

"Hi" A bright, a bit too bright for the morning- voice called out, startling the young café owner.

Jeongyeon jumped and moved to protect himself with the weapon he had brought along with him as he turned to face the owner of the voice. When he saw the intruder, he froze seeing that he would have never guessed for it to be the nation’s sweetheart. At his surprise, he ended up dropping the bread in hand.

“You weren’t planning on protecting yourself with that, were you?” The idol teased as she giggled at the sight of the baguette on the floor.

“Nayeon?! What are you doing here?” Jeongyeon exclaimed and asked the celebrity before him as he moved to pick up the dropped bread- hoping that his face wasn’t giving away his embarrassment.

Knowing the affect she might have had, Nayeon was considerate enough to give Jeongyeon some space as she casually walked around the café. After a few seconds, she turned back to the café owner and grinned.

"You said if I came early enough one day you'll teach me how to make milk bread." Nayeon said in a bright tone.

"So, here I am!" Nayeon announced, beaming up to Jeongyeon.

Jeongyeon blinked a few times, processing what Nayeon had just said.

"You're here to make milk bread?" Jeongyeon half asked, half stated.

Nayeon nodded, "Yeah. You’re going to teach me right?”

“Erm, yeah. Sure.” Jeongyeon answered, though it wasn’t as if he actually had a choice.

He turned to face the grinning idol again and motioned his head to the direction of the kitchen, “Follow me.”

 

Jeongyeon gave Nayeon one of the spare baking attire the café had which she changed into before they started working. They started working together with Jeongyeon teaching Nayeon how to make the milk bread she loved so much and also gave her a crash course on all baking essentials. With Nayeon’s help, Jeongyeon had managed to complete his batch of milk bread in less time than he usually would have taken.

“Why are you looking at me like that?” Nayeon asked, beginning to feel self-conscious under Jeongyeon’s stare before he snapped away from his gaze.

Jeongyeon shook his head, letting out a soft apology. “Nothing. I was just thinking of the customers.”

“What about them?” Nayeon asked with her eyebrows furrowed.

“If only they knew Im Nayeon was making their breads today…” Jeongyeon trailed off with a kind smile that made Nayeon get butterflies in her stomach.

Nayeon watched in interest as Jeongyeon put the tray of the milk bread they had worked on together into the oven and set the timer.

"I never thought baking could be this fun." Nayeon beamed once Jeongyeon had turned to face her again.

“Well, I’m glad I managed to show you how fun it could be.” Jeongyeon smiled.

Jeongyeon knew that he was openly staring at the idol but for once, it didn’t matter to him. Anyone would have been blessed and star-struck in his position so he decided he would appreciate it. Although, it didn’t stop him from getting a mini heart attack when Nayeon looked him dead in the eyes and smiled back.

“Me too.” The idol whispered.

Before the two could continue getting lost in each other’s eyes, the back entrance swung open causing the two of them to jump away from each other. A pretty girl walked in, allowing the door to close itself behind her- paying no mind to the kitchen as she was texting on her phone.

"Hey boss! I know I said I’d be taking half day but my mom rescheduled her ap-" The girl called out only to stop dead in her tracks upon seeing Nayeon when she lifted her head. Her eyes went wide, "Oh my goodness!"

The girl then blinked a few times before looking around as if to confirm that she was in the right building. She then turned back to Nayeon only to freak out all over again.

"Hey Jenn!" Jeongyeon called out with a wave at the shocked girl before turning back to Nayeon and whispering, "I'll be right back."

The girl must have been shocked and confused as to why the Nation’s Sweetheart was in the kitchen – wearing one of the spare baking attires and decided that he should explain the whole situation to her. With a chuckle, Jeongyeon approached the girl and started pushing her to the employees’ room where the employees would put away their belongings or even rest.

"Come on now. Let’s go." Jeongyeon said as her tried to turn her around.

"S-s-she's her." Nayeon heard ‘Jenn’ stutter as she tried her best to peer over Jeongyeon’s tall figure to catch a glimpse of Nayeon again.

"She is her, right?" The girl Jeongyeon was ushering out asked him as she finally tore her eyes away from Nayeon.

"Yes, Jennie.” Jeongyeon said, amused by how the girl was acting.

"Oh my goodness, pinch me now!" The girl mumbled clear enough for Nayeon to hear which caused the girl group member to stifle her laughter.

"No." Jeongyeon denied, still trying to push the girl to the employee’s room.

The girl growled and glared at him, "Pinch- OWWW!"

Well, it seemed like Jeongyeon carried out her request in the end since Jennie jumped in pain and slapped the man’s arm. "I wasn't serious, you idiot!"

“Sorry. Just following orders.” Jeongyeon laughed.

“Oh yeah? Give me a raise then cheapskate!” Her sassy remark was heard as they exited the kitchen.

Nayeon chuckled to herself upon watching their interaction. It was endearing to see as they both seemed really close. However, if she was being honest, Nayeon felt something bubble in her stomach at the sight of Jeongyeon and the pretty girl. At their departure, Nayeon was at loss of things to do so she decided to watch the oven channel- watching her milk bread start to bake slowly.

 

A few moments later, Nayeon heard the kitchen door swing open again and in walked Jeongyeon with the pretty girl from before. Jeongyeon stood before her with the other behind him – she had changed into her baking attire with her hair tied into a neat bun.

"Sorry about before." Jeongyeon apologised as he smiled sheepishly.

"It's fine.” Nayeon waved her hand.

Nayeon almost wanted to laugh as she noticed the girl behind Jeongyeon who was smiling quite brightly, a bit scarily too- the girl ‘subtly’ nudged Jeongyeon, not taking her eyes off of Nayeon. Jeongyeon had to resist the urge to roll his eyes at the girl as he sighed.

"This is my assistant head baker and good friend- Jennie Kim." Jeongyeon had introduced, "Jennie, this is-"

Jennie couldn’t even contain her excitement as she smoothly slid past Jeongyeon and stood herself in front of Nayeon. Holding her hand out and introducing herself to the idol.

"HI! I’m such a big fan of yours. I have all your albums!" Jennie gushed and mentally died when Nayeon took her hand. “All of them.”

"Thank you!" Nayeon said as she shook Jennie’s hand. "I'm Nayeon, it's a pleasure to meet you."

At that, Jennie placed her free hand on top of their joined hands and stared lovingly into Nayeon’s eyes.

"The pleasure is all mine." Jennie said with a chuckle before turning serious again, "Trust me."

After a few moments of Jennie grinning at Nayeon who smiled politely back, Nayeon had begun to feel a little uncomfortable with the whole situation and darted her eyes to her and Jennie’s hands which were still connected. Jennie caught on and immediately retracted her hand as she smiled sheepishly at Nayeon.

Jennie cleared and reminded herself to be normal before glancing back to Jeongyeon who was smirking at her. She narrowed her eyes at him before shaking it off.

"So, you both know each other?" Jennie asked, now more composed and calm.

"Yes."              -"Sort of.”

Came both of Nayeon’s and Jeongyeon’s replies which made Jennie tilt her head slightly. She was both curious and amused at the situation. She watched as the two exchanged glances before Nayeon spoke up again.

"We met by chance." The idol elaborated, earning an affirmative nod from Jeongyeon.

Jeongyeon knew Jennie well enough to know that the girl would follow up with a million more questions and didn’t want Nayeon to feel burdened so he acted fast by slipping in his next comment.

"And ~ not to mention, she loves my milk bread." Jeongyeon grinned proudly.

Just like he had expected, Jennie’s eyes turned competitive as she scoffed and rolled up her sleeves and stuck her nose in the air.

"Please." Jennie said as she turned to her station, bumping Jeongyeon aside in the process. "Step aside Yoo."

Jennie started preparing her station as she turned to Nayeon with an angelic smile.

"Will you be staying long? You're going to absolutely be in awe with my melon bread."Jennie said with a proud smile.

"Which is my recipe-" Jeongyeon had injected only to be cut off by Jennie again who was clearly ignoring him.

“Actually,” Jennie paused, not minding Jeongyeon as she stared at the time on the oven where the loafs of milk bread were baking in. “That may take a while. What about a ban

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter