Something's up

Contract Killer II: Secrets
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“B, do you think there's something strange with Eunha?” Yerin asked from the bed.

“Why do you think so?”

“The other day at the rest stop after we were chased down by those thugs, did you see her reaction.”

“Yeah, I was leaving the store when I saw her getting angry from afar. I had meant to ask you but I kept forgetting. What happened?” Eunbi replied and sat down on the edge of the bed beside Yerin’s outstretched legs.

“Yuna simply asked if we were going to make a report and she got really riled up about it. That was the most agitated reaction I had ever seen from her. She seemed hell-bent on catching those guys.” Yerin said thoughtfully and took her glasses off. “So fervent that it’s a little suspicious. Don’t you think?”

“Suspicious? Well… She always had a strong sense of justice. Even though she’s usually docile and polite, she’d tell patrons off if they were being rude to our fellow staff.” Eunbi said, smiling at the memory of their part-time job. It felt like it’s been years since they worked there.

“I know but… It’s hard to explain. It’s fine, she’s probably just concerned about us.” Yerin said half-heartedly. She still had her doubts but decided to keep it in since she didn’t quite know how to express her thoughts yet.

“Why the sudden question? Has Jihyo got back to you yet?” Eunbi asked but the girl shook her head.

“Think she’s still working on it. It’s only been like what? 4 days? They could use more time.” Yerin smiled.

“How about work?” Eunbi asked, pulling the older girl away from her thoughts.

“No new ones. Not that I mind, more rest days for us.” Yerin smiled and opened her arms for Eunbi to lay down with her.

“Slacker.” Eunbi teased as she hugged Yerin, snuggling against the latter’s arms. “Where are the others? It seems quiet outside.”

“Yuna and Yewon went out. Think Sojung is home but Eunha… Didn’t see her when I was outside earlier.” Yerin said and Eunbi nodded.

“Quality time for you and me then. Even the maknaes are out dating.”

“You speak as if you’re older than them.” Yerin scoffed.

“I picked it up from you.” The younger girl grinned and Yerin gasped.

“How dare you call me old?” she said dramatically and reached out to grab Eunbi but missed, grazing the fabric of the girl’s shirt with her fingertips. “Get back here!” she half-yelled and jumped off the bed to chase the cheeky girl.

 

════════════ ⋆★⋆ ════════════

 

“Doesn’t it feel nice? I feel… Liberated.” Yewon said and Yuna hummed. They were taking a walk in the park they frequented back when they were part of the cartel.

“It does. I thought I would never be able to enjoy life normally again.” Yuna chuckled.

“I hate how things turned out back then but somehow I’m grateful too. If I didn’t join, we wouldn’t have met. And if we didn’t take that night trip, we wouldn’t have met Yerin.” Yewon said quietly. “I’m partially thankful.” She said and held Yuna’s hand.

“I could say the same to you. I guess some things are just… Fated.” Yuna smiled. “Like us.”

“Ah… So cheesy unnie.” Yewon laughed and gave the older girl’s shoulder a light shove.

“Which reminds me, why did you join anyway? When I first saw you, I never expected to see such a face like yours.”

“A face like mine?” Yewon tilted her head.

“Someone innocent. Young. Your eyes were so clear and I just felt like I had to get you out because you didn’t belong there.” Yuna said and Yewon blushed. “So, why did you?”

“I think… That’s a story for another time unnie. Let’s not remember the past now.” Yewon said and pursed her lips. Yuna nodded in understanding. The younger girl must have gone through a terrible time back then.

“Sorry.” The taller girl said and squeezed Yewon’s hand.

“It’s okay. Ice cream?”

“Sure.” They began walking towards the ice cream store with light steps when suddenly, Yuna pulled firmly on Yewon’s wrist, bringing them both to a stop.

“What’s the matter?” Yewon asked. Yuna nodded towards the café that they had just passed. Yewon glanced around the interior but couldn’t find what caught Yuna’s attention.

“Near the back of the left corner,” Yuna said. The younger girl shifted her focus to the spot that she had glazed over and her brows knitted together in confusion.

“Isn’t that…”

“Yeah. I think the ice cream can wait.” Yuna said and tugged at Yewon, leading her into the café.

“But wait, it looks serious. What if it’s private?” Yewon asked, panic building up in her gut. Many questions were whizzing through her mind but it all felt like a blur.

“It’s definitely not. I remember him. That guy, he’s the driver of that truck.” Yuna said and Yewon felt her insides sink.

“No…” she whispered as Yuna pulled her into the café with their faces turned towards the opposite direction to avoid attracting the attention of the girl.

 

════════════ ⋆★⋆ ════════════

 

Sojung had been lying on her bed, staring blankly at the ceiling for an hour. She had barely talked to Eunha all day. The girl seemed distant and shifty for some reason. The last time she saw her was when she came in to tell her that she would be heading out to run an errand.

Her thoughts drifted to their recent past. The following months after the insane shootout was blissful despite the recovering wounds and terrible nightmares. With the spare time that they had on hand, they went on dates. Many dates. They watched movies, went to the arcade, had candlelit dinners, went on late night drives and even a short road trip. They did everything that a normal couple would do and it felt… Amazing. For a moment, it made them forget about their real-life commitments.

Eunha was a blessing to her. She knew that the moment she became a contract killer, there was no turning back. Her life would forever be changed and so she accepted the fact that she would die alone and never have a taste of what love was. Before Eunha came into the picture, she had steeled her heart; something she learnt from Yerin. She made herself numb to everything around her. She made herself so numb that sometimes she would sit on her bed at night and cry, wondering if she was still human. She changed from someone who couldn’t do anything without another’s company to a complete lone wolf. That was until she saw the girl for the first time. The girl’s short stature and cute features were like a magnet, attracting Sojung’s gaze every time she passed by or came to their table. By the third glance, Sojung knew Eunha would be someone special in her life.

The taller girl snapped out of her daydream and felt around her sides for her phone. She raised it lazily above her face and sighed. She had sent Eunha a text half an hour ago asking when she’ll be back but there was no response. She couldn’t and didn’t hide her disappointment as her eyebrows lowered slightly into a frown.

“What’s gotten into you lately? Hmm?” Sojung whispered to herself. Eunha had been spacing out more than usual and appeared jumpy. Sojung didn’t want to suspect that Eunha was hiding something from her but she couldn’t help but feel that way. The last thing she wants to do is to doubt her girlfriend but from the way that Eunha was behaving, her s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter