Hard Decisions

Contract Killer II: Secrets
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Stepping into the modest building, the crew were instantly hit with awe and a slight sense of embarrassment. The plain exterior of the short building certainly didn't prepare them for the huge contrast with the interior. The receptionist lobby was minimalistic with the classic marble floor and pillars. It wasn’t over the top extravagant but walking through a professional setting like this in tattered and bloodied sweatshirts and jeans made them feel a little inappropriately dressed.

“Good afternoon. You must be here to see Ms Jung,” the receptionist greeted with a polite smile, seemingly unfazed by their battered appearance. “She has made arrangements for the meeting in the conference room on the second floor. Just head straight up, and I’ll let her know you have arrived.”

“Thank you,” Sojung dipped her head in thanks and the group headed towards the elevators. They followed the signage on the wall and found it without much trouble. They had barely settled in when they were greeted by the sound of heels approaching. Turning their attention to the door, Eunha’s eyes nearly popped out of their sockets when she saw the lawyer.

“Good afternoon, it’s good to finally meet you all.” the raven-haired lady said. Her eyes scanned through the faces and ultimately landed on Eunha and Daein. “Especially the both of you.”

“Gods…” Daein exhaled softly. He too had seemed to be unable to tear his eyes off the lawyer. The group had noticed how gobsmacked Eunha and her brother were and shifted their eyes between the lawyer and the siblings.

“You…” Eunha slowly stood up from her seat and walked towards the lady who had closed the door for privacy. They watched as the woman nodded and held her arms out to Eunha with a warm smile and the latter dove straight in, sobbing.

“I’m really sorry. I let you down, both of you. I’ve worked hard after I left with the hopes that one day I can fight for the justice we deserved. I thought I was going to have to do it alone until I got a call from one of your friends and I knew it had to be fate,” the lady said as she Eunha’s hair in an attempt to soothe the girl.

“You’re her sister,” Yerin concluded and the lawyer nodded, releasing Eunha who had collected herself and was wiping her face with the sleeves of her sweatshirt.

“I never thought a day like this would come,” Daein said and hugged his sister as well.

“Neither did I. But as much as I’d like to indulge in this family reunion, I believe we have more pressing matters at hand. Time is running short so we better get to it,” Ji-in said as they all took a seat. The files and paperwork were quickly spread out onto the large table and they got to work.


 


 

“This is… a lot to take in, that’s for sure,” Ji-in said as she tapped her pen on the notebook in front of her.

“There’s more in father’s office I’m sure of it. We need a search warrant,” Eunha pressed.

“But if he’s sent men after you, he might have disposed of all the physical evidence in his possession. There’s a grim possibility that whatever we have here is all that’s left to work with,” Ji-in reasoned and Eunha banged her fist on the table, sighing in frustration.

“There has to be some way to press actual charges that he cannot escape from, no?” Sojung asked.

“I mean, with what’s given, you definitely can. But it might not be enough to keep him locked up forever and have a deep probe into this whole… business.”

“I thought of something,” Yuna said. “I know this might be a stretch but what if we gave ourselves up to him? I mean, not all of us but just… Some. To lure him into a trap but also to play him into giving a confession. What we have now is solid stuff but there’s still a lot that these don’t cover, especially his involvement in the IRC."

“So you’re suggesting…”

“I go back there and face him once and for all,” Eunha finished.

“I refuse to let that happen!” Sojung slammed the table and Yerin gripped her arm.

“No way, he almost choked you to death the last time you rebutted!” Sally pleaded. “There has to be another way.”

“There is no other w

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter