Nothing more to hide

Contract Killer II: Secrets
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Korean war?

Ancestors?

Empire?

None of it seemed to make sense anymore. Was she even awake? Perhaps she was dreaming.

Eunha slapped herself and winced when she felt her cheek sting. She was very much awake. It was 2 in the morning but she was in way too much shock to sleep. She had to straighten things out in her head. She had to do some research. Eunha tossed the covers off and hopped out of bed, taking long strides to get to her desk. She switched her laptop on and placed her index finger on the fingerprint sensor, drumming her fingers as she waited for the system to boot up.

She quickly opened a search engine and searched up the Korean War. Of course, there were no results of such business ever existing since it had to be done behind the government’s back but with a little more prodding and investigating, the girl managed to find traces of evidence. Even though there were only a handful of old paragraphs, it was concrete evidence that Sally wasn’t lying. Everything the girl had said was true.

Eunha leaned back in her chair, rubbing her face. How did she not find out about this? How many more secrets was she supposed to withhold? Why didn’t her parents tell her when she was younger? Did they not want to burden her with the ultimate truth? Why did they even accept it in the first place? Any normal human being would panic if they were to suddenly inherit such a thing. Why did they take it without question? Did they not have morals? Why didn’t they just refuse and lead a lawful life? Was it for the money? How about her siblings? Did they know about this?

So many questions were swimming around in her head that she felt like the room was spinning for a second. Despite the shock of the situation and the sudden burden placed on her shoulders, she still felt like laughing. It was downright ridiculous. Absurd. Preposterous. She wanted to laugh at how her entire life seemed to be a joke. How fate seemed to play with her every chance that it gets. She had more than just a couple hundred deaths on her hands. She had thousands. God knows how many people died because of her family. Fine, the war was inevitable since both countries were already on bad terms but how about more recent times? After the war? In just the past 10 years? She had seen her parents' close deals with her very eyes since she was a kid. She had been playing with guns and loose bullets instead of toy cars or dolls. She never played in the sandbox or tag with her classmates because she was home-schooled. The only people she saw during her childhood were her private teachers. Always adults, never children her age. This was probably the reason why she matured so fast. Heck, this is probably the reason why she’s the mental maknae now since she has people that will baby her.

Eunha wanted to punch something. Break something but she couldn’t. She didn’t want to risk waking everyone up and cause another scene. Yerin’s suspicion might grow even bigger. The surgeon was always observant. When she’s silent, it doesn’t mean she’s not keen on talking or participating. She’s just silently observing. Each move, each facial expression, each gesture. Yerin was an expert at reading others like an open book. She was so accurate that sometimes Eunha thinks that no one can hide anything from her.

But then again… Yerin. If the girl truly had her suspicions yet seemed to be subtly helping Eunha, perhaps she already discovered something. Eunha pursed her lips and looked out of her window at the city’s night skyline and made up her mind.

She had to talk to Yerin.

 

════════════ ⋆★⋆ ════════════

 

Eunha woke to the sound of birds chirping outside her window. She sat up and realized that she was in bed. She didn’t have any recollection of how she got to her bed and fell asleep but maybe she was just too tired. She swung the covers off and got up, making her bed hastily. She ran a hand through her tousled hair as a quick fix, looking around for her phone. It was still on her desk which meant she did indeed fall asleep there. She wondered who moved her to the bed and tucked her in but that could be answered later. As of now, she needed to see both Yerin and Yewon.

She grabbed her phone and checked if there were any new messages from Sally and let out a breath of relief when she saw only the notifications from her games. Eunha left her room and went downstairs to find Yerin sitting on the couch watching TV alone.

“Morning,” Yerin said without looking away from the screen.

“Morning.” Eunha greeted in return. “Are the rest still sleeping?”

“They’re out grocery shopping. Something about wanting to cook some new cuisine or whatever.” Yerin shrugged.

“All of them?”

“Nope, I’m here,” Yewon said and Eunha turned to look at the girl who came out from the kitchen. “Coffee?”

“Nah… I’m good. Actually… I want to talk to both of you.” Eunha started and Yewon looked at the older girl with an uncertain gaze. “About that, yes.” She said, confirming Yewon’s inner question. Yerin said nothing and simply switched the television off and scooched over to give the girls some space. Eunha sat down beside Yerin and opened the message from the day before and handed it to Yerin. She watched as the girl’s eyes narrowed at the picture.

“What is this?” Yerin asked and handed the phone back to Eunha. The latter began to explain her predicament and told them what happened at the War Memorial.

“This… is a bigger problem than I expected,” Yerin said and bit her lower lip. “Does anyone else know about this? Sojung? Eunbi?”

“No. Only you and Yewon know for now.” Eunha said and pursed her lips. “Are you… Mad?”

“Who? Me?” Yerin asked and pointed at herself. “Not at all. Why should I be? None of this is your fault. You said you didn’t have a part in your parent’s business and you didn’t voluntarily work for them so you’re in no way a guilty person to me. What your ancestors do doesn’t reflect the person you are, Eunha. You’re braver than all of them for revolting.”

Eunha felt so touched by Yerin’s levelheadedness. The girl took the news so calmly like Eunha was talking about the weather. The short-haired girl couldn’t help but lean towards Yerin for a hug. Yerin wrapped her arms around the girl’s smaller form and rubbed her back in a soothing manner. It was then that Eunha realized how reliable and strong Yerin’s arms were. As a pillar to keep her steady in times of distress. Sojung too had this same vibe. Must be a trait of the unnie-line, Eunha thought.

The girl pulled away and looked at Yewon who ruffled the girl’s bangs with a smile.

“We’ll help you as much as we can, alright? Don’t worry about it too much. You’ve got us now. You’re not alone anymore. If she sends you more texts to harass you, let us know. We’ll figure something out together. And of course, this will remain a secret till you tell the others.” Yerin said gently with a firm nod. “I was talking to Eunbi and Sojung last night about how I felt that something was off since that day of the trade but I told them not to pry till you were ready to tell us yourself. I’m glad you shared it with me, Eunha. I’m always happy to help you shoulder some of your burdens. Alright?”

“Thank you. Both of you…” Eunha smiled. “Are you sure you’re not real sisters?”

“I’m very sure.” Yewon chuckled.

“But I wouldn’t mind having her as a sister. Such a cutie she is.” Yerin said and reached across Eunha to pinch the younger girl’s cheek. Yewon slapped the hand away with a giggle at Yerin’s cheekiness.

“Can I say something random?” Eunha asked and Yerin nodded, gesturing for the girl to go ahead. “I like it when you’re playful like this. It makes you appear a little more…”

“Human?” Yerin finished and Eunha shook her head.

“Not that. Just a little… I don’t know how to describe it either. Amiable? More than you usually are.” Eunha said and Yerin nodded in understanding.

“Thanks, I guess?” Yerin chuckled. Just then, they heard the loud chatter of the other girls from outside the door. “They need to learn how to be quiet sometimes.”

“I think so too.” Eunha chortled as the front door swing open to reveal Sojung with a couple of grocery bags in hand. Yuna and Eunbi were standing on either side with an ice cream in hand.

“Look at what your kids did to me! They made me carry everything while they enjoy their ice cream!” Sojung whined to Yerin who raised both hands in defence as she stood up.

“They aren’t my kids. They’re yours. You’re the oldest one here. I’m only dating one of them.” She said as she walked over to Eunbi who beamed at her, offering Yerin some of her cold treat.

“At least we didn’t make you buy them for us. Besides, those bags are light!” Yuna said as she arranged her shoes neatly by the wall and handed her cone to Yewon who perked up slightly.

“I would kick both your asses if you did that,” Sojung grumbled. Eunha quickly walked over to help Sojung with the plastic bags so that the girl could take off her shoes. “See? Eunha is still the best.”

“Biased~” Eunbi sang and blew a raspberry. Sojung was about to chase her but Yerin stepped in front of Eunbi with a lopsided smile.

“Leave her alone, Sojung,” Yerin said amusedly.

“Always ganging up on me… Eish, these kids.” Sojung muttered under her breath as she wa

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter