The Great Escape

Contract Killer II: Secrets
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Yerin interlocked her fingers and knelt slightly. Eunbi placed one hand on the wall and the other on Yerin’s shoulder as she raised her right foot into Yerin’s waiting hands. They looked at each other and nodded. On the silent count of three, Yerin boosted Eunbi who jumped with the momentum and stretched her arms up, grabbing hold of the veranda’s ledge. With a foot against the wall, she pulled herself up and tethered herself to the rails, reaching back down to help the older girl up. Nimbly, Yerin took a few steps back and ran for the wall and jumped, using the stone wall as leverage to jump up. Eunbi caught her hand and tightened her grip, pulling Yerin up.

They swung themselves over the railing and Yerin walked over to the French doors. Looking through to make sure the coast was clear, she opened the door for Eunbi to slip in. She gave the younger an assuring nod and squeezed her arm before Eunbi left. Yerin silently closed the door and peered over the railing where she could see Yewon.

“Eunbi is in,” Yerin whispered.

“Metal detectors are down,” Sojung reported. “Going around the back to keep watch.”

Yerin cautiously walked down the veranda. Most of the windows were covered by curtains from the inside and there was no way to know if there was anyone inside and so she kept close to the railings as she made her way down to Eunha’s room. The lights seemed to be off with no sign of anyone inside.

“Eunha’s room is empty,” Yerin informed as she peered through the ajar window. She could see that the bed was made and the desk was clean of clutter, much like the girl’s room back at the penthouse.

“Eunbi? Status update.” Sojung said through the earpiece.

“I’m making my way down. There are cameras concealed at every turn.” Eunbi whispered, annoyance clear in her voice.

“Just take it slow, don’t make rash moves.”

“I know.” She muttered under her breath. She ducked into the stairwell and descended 2 steps at a time. The security room was on the immediate left of the stairs. She pulled a lock pick out from her inner pocket and got to work, trying to pick the lock without rattling the knob. Once she got the door unlocked, she mentally counted to three before bursting in. The guard had his legs propped up against the table and instantly jumped up from his seat.

Eunbi swung a right hook that he dodged and a scuffle ensued. She kept a watchful eye on his walkie talkie on the table as well as the panic button that was visible under the desk. She managed to kick him in the chest, making him stumble back into the wall. She was about to advance when he lunged for her, wrapping his hand around causing her to let out a strangled choke.

“Eunbi?” Sojung’s frantic voice could be heard through her earpiece. “Are you alright?”

“Does she sound alright to you?” Yerin’s exasperated voice shot back.

“Who are you?” he growled but Eunbi remained silent whilst looking at him dead in the eye as she tried to remain calm. “I said, who are you?” he asked once more, tightening his grip around Eunbi’s neck. He raised his fist but before he could bash the girl’s head in, a knife was plunged into the side of his neck. Eunbi watched as his grip slacked and his eyes widened in horror. He stumbled back to the desk but before he could get to the panic button, Eunbi grabbed him by the back of his collar and pulled him back. As he lost his balance and tipped backwards, she raised her leg and kicked him in the abdomen, sending him tumbling to the ground.

“I got it. Cameras are down.” Eunbi’s raspy voice sounded through the earpiece and everyone seemed to let out a breath of relief.

“Almost gave me a heart attack there. Let’s get back to work.” Sojung said. Eunbi sat down on the chair as she looked at the screens in front of her. As her gaze fell on the feed from the office, a soft gasp escaped through her parted lips and she felt her heart thump against her ribcage.

“Eunha is in the office,” Eunbi said breathily. Her eyes narrowed on another figure lounging in the couch by the bookshelves. “She’s not alone, there’s someone else with her in there.

“Is it her parents?”

“No… It’s a female but she looks about our age.”

“What about her parents?”

“I don’t see them around. They could be somewhere else not covered by security or not home at all.” Eunbi muttered as she looked through the feeds a second time.

“Could be. Stay sharp. Yuna, switch out, I’m going in.” Sojung said and looked at Daein who simply nodded.

“Got it,” Yuna said as she made her way towards Sojung’s post. The lanky figure slowly stood up and looked around before sprinting over to the veranda where Yerin was waiting. She jumped to grab onto Yerin’s outstretched hand and pulled herself up and over the ledge. Sojung paused and glanced at Yerin before they slipped through the door. The pair descended the carpeted stairs and crept down the hall towards the office.

Sojung felt like her heart was in . She could hear the blood pounding in her ears as they got closer to the doors. Squatting by the door, she could hear an indistinct conversation taking place behind the doors but it was no doubt Eunha’s voice; a voice she hadn’t heard in weeks. She looked back at Yerin who was looking expectantly at her for a signal. Sojung nodded.

Simultaneously, they got up and went for the door. Sojung’s fingers tingled as they wrapped around the brass knob. Time seemed to slow down as she twisted it and let the door swing open to reveal Eunha sitting at the desk. Her expression morphed from curiosity to confusion and finally disbelief. The other girl who was lounging comfortably had pushed herself to sit upright and had an expression that mirrored Eunha’s. Once they were in, Yerin shut the door behind them and twisted the latch, locking them in.

“Sojung?” Eunha asked, staring at the taller girl who stood unmoving by the door. Hearing her name being called, she blinked and snapped out of her daze.

“Eunha…” Sojung muttered under her breath as she looked at Eunha. At that moment, everything in the room ceased to exist. Eunha was in front of her eyes, living and in one piece. Apart from the bags under her eyes, nothing seemed to have changed.

“Don’t move an inch,” Eunha ordered before Sojung could take a step forward. Yerin caught the former’s eyes going up to the corner where the camera was.

“Don’t worry, Eunbi took the guard out. We have control over the cameras.” Yerin assured the shorter girl.

“What are you guys doing? You shouldn’t be here!” Eunha hissed quietly and stood up from her seat.

“We’re here to get you out,” Yerin said.

“Uh guys, you might want to get out of there. Now. There’s a car heading towards the house.” Yuna’s panicked voice coul

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter