A chance to fix it all

Contract Killer II: Secrets
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sojung anxiously tapped her fingers against the back of her phone as she stared at the last email she sent. She received no reply from the anonymous sender but the money was wired to her regardless and there was no way of tracing the sender since they were using cryptocurrency. Yerin and the rest have yet to know about the file. Speaking of which, she hasn’t taken a proper look since last night.

Slowly, she walked towards the bag that was carelessly dumped by her desk when she got home early this morning. She ped it and pulled the file out. Sojung couldn’t help but flick to the last page where Eunha’s signature was. There was no denying it now; this was the original hardcopy. There was even a wax stamp with the family crest.

A soft knock on the door caused Sojung to jerk and she quickly stashed the file into her desk drawer. The door opened to reveal Yuna.

“Unnie?”

“Yes?” Sojung asked, trying to sound as normal as she could.

“Is everything alright?” the girl asked as she approached the leader.

“Yeah, why?” the oldest replied with a chuckle. Yuna could clearly sense something was up but seeing how Sojung was trying to avoid a possible questioning session, she decided to let it slip for now.

“Yewon and I are heading down to Geumcheon to see if there are any leads on Eunha’s whereabouts.” the girl informed.

“Oh, alright. Keep us updated?”

“Yeah, we will.” Yuna smiled.

“Yuna,” Sojung said abruptly just as the girl was about to leave the room. Yuna turned to look at her, tilting her head to the side in question. She wanted to tell someone about the folder but for some reason, she felt like keeping it from them. Was she afraid that they’ll gang up on Eunha?

“Sojung unnie?” Yuna called out. “You’re not alright, are you.” She trailed off after seeing the look in Sojung eyes. In three long strides, the girl was back to Sojung, this time with her arms around the troubled lady.

Just like that, Sojung broke down. It was stupid of her to crumble so easily. Barely a week without Eunha and she was already bawling like a baby with the third youngest trying to console her.

“Shh, it’s okay. It’ll all be okay. Let it out and you’ll feel better.” Yuna said tenderly which only spurred the waterworks. Sojung had buried her face into Yuna’s shirt, wrapping her arms around the girl’s waist tightly as she sobbed while the latter her hair to calm her down. Slowly, Sojung’s violent hicks and gasps calmed into little sniffles.

“I’m… sorry.” Sojung said between hiccups. “I just… I don’t know what came over me.”

“It’s alright, we know how hard it’s been on you. I just hope you know that it's okay to be like this. You’ve taken care of us all these years, it’s time we took care of you too. Right?” Yuna smiled gently as she handed the oldest a box of tissues.

“But there’s something else I need you to see. All of you.” Sojung said as she wiped away her tears.

 

════════════ ⋆★⋆ ════════════

 

Eunbi narrowed her eyes at the document in Yerin’s gloved hands. They had gathered in the living room to listen to Sojung’s encounter.

“This was signed just the day before you discovered it. Whoever that sent the email must be an insider.” Yerin deduced.

“Sally?” Yewon offered.

“Could be. Eunha unnie would never sign this willingly.” Eunbi pursed her lips.

“It’s probably her parents.” Sojung seethed.

“Let’s just stay on high alert for now. In case she decides to help us in some way.” Yerin suggested and the crew agreed. “I think that we should stay put in Seoul for now. Going to Geumcheon might turn out to be futile if they have eyes on us.”

“And be sitting ducks here?” Sojung spoke up, a hint of annoyance in her voice. “The longer we wait, the more Eunha has to suffer.”

“What can we do anyway? Drive into the mansion and bust her out?” Eunbi raised an eyebrow. It wasn’t her intention to be snappy but it didn’t seem like the eldest thought it through. “We get it, she’s your girlfriend, but she’s my friend too. Our friend. You don’t see us all having tunnel vision, do you? We’re her last hope in getting her back where she’s happy and free. If you want us to rush into some sloppily thought out plan and get us all killed, be my guest.”

Yerin’s hand snapped up to grab Eunbi’s wrist. The latter looked down to meet Yerin’s soft gaze and slowly, she relaxed her tense shoulders.

“Sorry,” Eunbi said.

“How many times do you want to argue over this?” Yerin shook her head. “Right now, laying low is our best bet. If Quantum Tech has control over the government, it would probably mean they have eyes everywhere. I wouldn’t be surprised if we’re all listed as wanted fugitives right now.”

“Unnie is right.” Yewon piped in. “It’s hard to just sit around and wait but I have a feeling this won’t be the last time we hear from this anonymous person.”

“You think they’ll continue to help us?” Sojung asked sounding genuinely hopeful.

“Just a gut feeling. If it is an insider and

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter