When we're together, that's all that matters

Contract Killer II: Secrets
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“All rise,” the bailiff called. The crowd rose from their seats as the judge entered with a thin folder in hand.

“Please, take your seats,” the judge said and the courtroom settled. “We have gathered here today for the sentencing of Jung Jin Ho and Jung Hee. I’d like to begin by asking if anyone has any motions.”

The defendant’s attorney looked as if he had already given up. His face was void of expression as he shook his head. His clients were standing behind him in a booth, dressed in orange garb and shackled.

“Then we shall begin the victim impact statements. I know there are a few who would like to have a word so before we start, there are some rules. There is to be no applause, verbal responses and outbursts during this proceeding. Should there be any, you will be removed and not allowed back into the courtroom. With that, let’s have the first speaker up at the podium.”

Sally was the first to go, the heels of her oxfords clicking against the wooden floorboards as she walked up to the podium. Her right arm was in a sling and the same side of her blazer was left to drape over her shoulder. She looked around the room before she began.

“Eunha and I go way back but even though we were not on the best of terms, she still is and always will be someone important to me. So to see her getting pounded, shot, and shoved to her death by someone who should be protecting her from these things… It made me extremely, excuse my language, ing angry. In fact, angry doesn’t even sum up all that I feel,” she shot a pointed glare at the man behind bars. “I hope that such an apathetic and inhumane human to be locked up for good. Thank you.”

Sally turned to bow to the judge who nodded. Yerin was next to approach.

“As a doctor myself, Im definitely no stranger to seeing blood in large amounts and people on the brink of death. I’ve always been the bearer of bad news and comforting people in distress has become second nature to me. But seeing my friend - my family - nearly asphyxiate in front of me with another friend bleeding out,” Yerin looked at Eunha, taking a breath before continuing. “I think it’s clear what should be done to the man responsible for all this damage.”

Yerin returned to the seats where Eunha pulled her down for a quick hug. Sojung nudged Eunbi’s arm.

“Go on,” the older girl whispered. “I’ll go after you.”

“You sure?”

Sojung nodded and Eunbi approached the podium.

“Eunha and I have been friends since high school. She painted me a simple picture that her family was dead and so she was living alone. Of course, I took her word for it but after she confided in me with the truth, I realize why she lied. Because if I were her, I’d be ashamed to acknowledge I had such people as my parents. Selfish, greedy and cold-hearted. It’s fascinating how they raised a child that’s the complete opposite,” Eunbi flipped over to the next page and her lips. “Eunha had always tried her best to take care of me and I think of her as my older sister. She’s one of the most selfless people I know and I wish she never has to deal with any of this crap ever again.”

Sojung was the last of the group to step forward.

“When I heard the gunshot, I already began hating myself. Why wasn’t I there to protect her? Why wasn’t I there to stop it? Things only got worse when I reached her. To see her bleeding and clutching her chest…” Sojung closed her eyes, the memory replaying vividly in her mind. She could hear the yells, the fighting. It still felt all too real.

“To cling on to the love of your life to prevent her from falling to her death. If it wasn’t for Sally… I don’t even want to think of what would have happened. She herself was in a bad shape - blood gushing down her arm but she still hung on as if her life depended on it,” Sojung looked at Sally. “I could never thank you enough for that. The helplessness I felt, watching Yerin perform first aid on her. Seeing her out cold in a hospital bed on a ventilator. It hurts. It truly hurts. I wished so badly for it to be me instead because I never want her to experience pain.

I’m grateful that she’s still alive and well but every time she breathes and doesn’t think I notice it hurts, every time she wakes up from a nightmare, every time I hold her in my arms to reassure her that it’s alright… It reminds me all over again of the trauma these fu- “ Sojung cut herself short, gripping the sides of the podium so hard her knuckles turned white. She drew in a shaky breath to collect herself. “The trauma these people brought on her. Just the thought of them reduces her from a cheerful kid to someone who looks like they’ve seen the darkest parts of hell. I wish I could give them a taste of their own medicine. To hurt them the same way they hurt her but no, I won’t stoop to their level. So I hope they get thrown into a cell and never get a taste of freedom for the rest of

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter