A Chance Encounter

Contract Killer II: Secrets
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Eunha?” Sojung called out from the stairs. The younger girl seemed to pay no heed to the leader and continued staring blankly at the black television screen. The taller girl furrowed her brows at the lack of response as she approached Eunha. The latter wasn’t one to ignore others.

“Eunha.” She called out again, this time reaching out to touch the girl’s shoulder. Her fingertips had barely grazed the material of Eunha’s shirt when the latter flinched and recoiled, backing away from the hand. This surprised Sojung who wasn’t expecting the girl to be so startled by a gentle tap.

“Are you alright?” She asked, concern evident on her face. The girl looked at Sojung for a moment and recognition flashed in her eyes as her posture relaxed, indicating that she had processed what had happened.

“Yeah. Yeah, I was just thinking of something. Sorry.” Eunha said, pressing her lips into a tight smile. “Brunch?”

“Let’s wait for the rest to come down. I’ll wake them if they’re not up by 11:30.” Sojung rubbed Eunha’s shoulder in a comforting manner to soothe the girl. “Shall we watch something while we wait?”

“Sure.” She smiled.

It’s been almost a year since their bloody tussle with the IRC. All that was left to remind them that the incident ever took place were the fading scars on their limbs. Yejun returned to work and Junseo went on to further his studies in a university that specializes in IT. The crew were back in business after taking almost a year off to recuperate; mentally and physically.

Today was a slow Thursday. They had just completed a contract the day before, securing them another 7 million won. A smaller amount than usual but they didn’t mind, they had more than enough in their bank accounts to last them for the rest of their lives.

Yerin and Eunbi were the first to appear, clambering down the stairs to see the couple watching Phineas and Ferb.

“Good morning kids.” Yerin greeted as she followed Eunbi into the kitchen. The latter poured them each a glass of orange juice.

“Who are you calling kids?” Sojung frowned but the second eldest only smiled.

“The smallest. And maybe the tallest as well.” Yerin teased as she eased herself down onto the beanbag. Eunbi sat down snugly beside her and they made themselves comfortable with their juice in hand.

“Brunch?” Eunbi asked.

“We’ll wait for the real kids to wake up.” Eunha huffed.

“Yuna is the same age as you. She’s just a couple months younger. If she’s a kid, then you’re a kid as well no?” Yerin chuckled and Eunha sighed.

“Backfired~” Eunbi sang and cackled.

“What’s going on?” Yewon asked and the 4 pairs of eyes turned towards the source of the voice. They saw the pair walking down the stairs hand in hand and Sojung cooed at the sight.

“What a mom.” Eunbi teased but the eldest ignored her.

“Since we’re all up, let’s go out and grab some brunch. Maybe have a little fun exploring the city while we’re out.” Sojung said and clapped her hands. “Sounds good?”

“Sounds perfect.” Yuna smiled at her tall friend.

“Go get ready then. We’ll leave in half an hour.”

 

════════════ ⋆★⋆ ════════════

 

“Why didn’t she get an M7? Isn’t it more powerful?” Eunbi asked, resting her head against the window.

“Sojung would throw a fit. The rivalry is real, my friend. She’s just biased towards her favourite three-pronged star.” Yerin chuckled. They decided to go for a drive around the outskirts of Seoul city to test out the new cars. Specifically, Sojung and Yewon’s new cars. They were currently zipping down the scenic road in the countryside at over 160 km/h. Yerin was trailing behind the white Wraith and matte silver C63 who were trying to race each other.

“Who do you think will win?” Eunbi asked and Yerin smiled, lowering the volume of the classical piece that was playing over the stereo.

“Neither. Both have the same maximum speed. If they’re neck and neck now, no one would win. Besides, they’ll have to slow down at the bend ahead. The winner would be clear if they had a drag race. Yewon’s car has more torque.” Yerin explained as if it was the simplest thing in the world.

“How do you know all this? Are you sure you’re a surgeon for humans and not automotive?” Eunbi teased.

“My master's cert from SNU says it all.” Yerin chortled. Just as the surgeon finished her sentence, the brake lights of the Wraith and C63s lit up simultaneously ahead of them. Yerin too, eased on the brakes and they caught up with the competitive cars as they rounded a slight bend.

“I can’t remember the last time I saw a Bentley and Rolls Royce side by side,” Eunbi said randomly.

“Now you’ll see more of it.” Yerin laughed. Without warning, both cars slammed on the brake. Yerin’s quick reflexes saved their cars from an imminent collision as she floored the brakes while holding her right hand across Eunbi’s torso to prevent the girl from flying forward and hitting the dashboard.

“Are you okay?” She asked when the Bentley came to a stop just inches from the back of the Wraith.

“Yeah. That was hot of you.” Eunbi said and looked at Yerin for a solid 3 seconds before she realized what had left . “I mean, thanks. Thanks.” She said, trying to do some damage control. Yerin wound the window down and waved her hand, asking what’s the matter. Just then, Eunbi’s phone rang in her pocket.

“Hello?” she said and tapped the speaker button. “What’s going on? Why the sudden stop?”

“We can’t move forward.”

“Why not?” Yerin asked.

“There’s some sort of… Suspicious trade going on. Some modified cars and this huge truck. They just opened the doors and- oh my god, you have to come see this.”

Yerin looked at Eunbi and reversed slightly to provide enough space for her to roll up beside Yewon’s car. When she did, her eyes widened. The truck that Yuna mentioned was a mere 100 meters away but because of the bend, they were more or less hid

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter