FAMILY

My Psychology Professor
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

~Chapter Song1: Seo In Guk - ‘Flower’~

~Chapter Song2: XIA ‘Lean on Me’~

“Oh.” was all that So-Hyun’s mouth could form. She wasn’t expecting it to be in London or anywhere outside of Seoul to be exact.

“But, I’m not thinking about it you know. It’s something that I can always do later…” He explained how it would be for preliminary data to kick-start the cross-cultural comparisons he wants to make for further conclusions. Since he had completed those in Seoul already, Ji-Sub thought it would be good to apply, but he had no expectations for it.

So-Hyun listened to what he had to say, making sure to not miss a single word. She was still in his arms, her hands hanging loosely on his shoulders pondering on the news. He says he had no expectations, but So-Hyun could see the excitement in him. She softened her eyes, “Oppa, why didn’t you tell me earlier?”

“It was something I did half-heartedly, I didn’t think I’d be accepted for it. And I guess I didn’t want you to worry about me leaving and all of that.”

“Oppa, don’t be silly, why wouldn’t you take this opportunity? If it’s because of us, then don't worry too much.” She admits, it would be a test to their relationship, but for now she’s strong enough to believe that they can get through it. “It’s not like you’re upping and leaving tomorrow right? We’ll still have time together and by the time you’re back, we won’t even know that we were apart.” She said in one breath, not really knowing which one of them she was trying to convince.

“So-Hyun-ah…”

“You’ll be going in three months, right? But that’s still teaching period… What will you do about your teaching? Will they get a replacement?” She inquired, and he nodded but So-Hyun could see it was weak.

“But So-Hyun-ah…” He tried again, but she cut him off softly.

“Remember you told me it’s okay to do some of the things that make you uncomfortable, you should do it… Don’t let us hold you back, Oppa.” She said reassuringly, brushing his bed hair apart. “I want to support you with this. I’ll be fine, we’ll be fine.”

“You trust me, right?” She questioned, and he nodded immediately. “I trust you too so let's both trust the way we feel for each other. Why do it later when you can just do it now, oh? Don’t think too much, I just want you to do what you want to do and be happy doing it.”

Seung-Ho stared into So-Hyun's eyes looking for any sign of slight wavering from her. Her words of encouragement were firm in his ears, but he also knew in his heart that she was having the same thoughts that he was. Thoughts of the distance and the time that they would be spending apart. Choosing to believe her words he gave her a warm smile and he held onto her tighter.

She concluded by puckering her lips, letting him know that he shouldn’t say anymore. He let out a light laugh, reaching upwards to warm her lips with his.

If we’re prisoners to comfort, then we judge our own sentence and So-Hyun didn’t want either of them to do unnecessary time. Love isn’t selfish, so So-Hyun didn’t want to be selfish either. She didn’t want to stop Seung-Ho from reaching a what could be a new milestone in his life. She couldn’t do that to him and it’s research that will be benefiting the world, thinking about being the woman that stopped research that could potentially help people sent shivers down her spine.

Love hurts sometimes and if it meant going through five months of pain to prove it was love, then So-Hyun would do just that.

Because love also cares.

^^^^

Jin-Goo ran a careless hand through his hair, bored that the day was going slowly. When he received the connection on his intercom letting him know that his halmeoni was here, he decided to entertain her today. In fact, she’d be doing him a favour if she came to him first, he hadn’t registered her phone number, so he wouldn’t even know what numbers to press.

“Why do you keep coming here?” He questioned quite bored with her random visits.

“I’ve told you, I’m still-”

“And I’ve told you that I don’t care.” Jin-Goo sneered. If he looked closely he might have thought that the way he treated her might have had an effect on her, like she was hurt by his words. But she wasn’t. The very way that she limped her way into his office and relaxed into his chair let him know that.

“Halmeoni, are you bored? Do you have nothing to do anymore? Can’t you get a hobby? Do things other halmeoni’s your age do, like knitting or whatever. Must you live your life around this company? Must you live to ruin me?”

She stayed silent, aloof to his words.

“Are you looking for someone else to kill?” He asked, taking the pen on his desk he twisted it and started to check off his completed tasks for that day.

“That your little girlfriend seems like a good target. Did you think you could hide her from me?” She smirked, but Jin-Goo wasn’t going to bite this time. He wasn’t going to run away like before.

He smiled internally at her false information, she must not have kept tabs on her to know that she’s still with Professor Seung-Ho. “And how are you planning to do that? Would you hurt her the same way you did my parents?” He asked, not writing anymore.

“Wouldn’t that be too obvious?” His halmeoni quirked opening finally, the wrinkles on her face deepening each time she spoke.

Jin-Goo’s jaw tensed. “You never did tell me yourself. How did you kill my parents? Did you set a trap for my mother, did my father discover the demon that you are and try to stop you? Huh?” His breathing was still even, but his anger was rising. Taking a deep breath, he fixed his eyes on her.

“Maybe. Just maybe if you tell me… I’ll do what you want me to do for the company. I’ll be your puppet. No other strings attached. The pun was intended.” He smirked, if he tried hard enough he might just be able to see the wheels turning in that grey-filled head of hers.

He’d thrown the bait and all he needed was for her to take it.

Bite. Come on, bite.

She turned to her secretary and motioned for him to exit the room, which he did faithfully and happily. The tension in the room was cold, almost ice even and he wasn’t looking to freeze in between their family feud.

She didn’t even look at him, she simply played with the edge of her walking stick. “What do you want to know?”

She bit.

“Everything. Don’t leave a single thing out.”

From the minute she opened to the second she closed it, Jin-Goo paid close attention to everything. Her careless attitude, her slow and calm breathing and by the time she was done talking, Jin-Goo was left weak. He couldn’t bring himself to lift his hands off of the desk let alone look at her. The words she spoke, everything he knew in his mind all became the more real. He closes his eyes not knowing why he’s surprised, he was expecting this. He knew everything already, perhaps having it confirmed opened the wound he had been trying to nurture this whole time.

“Now, how about we write up that contract.” She insisted, only now looking in his direction. Jin-Goo scoffed, nodding his head weakly. At the end of the day this was all she wanted.

“I’ll have my secretary contact your secretary. If you will…” He then motioned to his door, which was sign for ‘get the hell out of my office’. His halmeoni pursed her lips, clearly displeased, but got up and limped out the same way she came in.

The moment the door closed, he felt like he could breathe again. Leaning his head on the back of his chair, he examined his ball-point pen eyeing its intricate design. Twisting it in the opposite direction, he smirked seeing the green light now turn red letting him know the recording mechanism was now off.

His Halmeoni had underestimated him. If she thought that she was going to be in control, well she’ll have to think again.

^^^^

It was now well into autumn and leaves cascaded the floor wherever So-Hyun looked. Stepping into her wellington boots, she trod to where Seung-Ho’s mother was in her plant-house working on the flowers and herbs. So-Hyun still couldn’t believe it, every image she had of the rich-chaebol mother shattered once she met his mother.

Although she insists it’s the divorce, So-Hyun was still surprised. Seung-Ho had explained that their family had suffered in a good way the past two years. His mother had been wanting a divorce for the longest of times but was rejected by his father because he didn't want to bring shame to his name whilst he was still aiming to be the best in his field. His mother only held on because of her children and she considered Ji-Sub her own, even though he was a child h

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter