ME WITHOUT YOU

My Psychology Professor
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

~Chapter Song: The Rose ‘Like We Used To’~

The next few weeks leading up to the final semester were hard for So-Hyun. She barely had any energy to leave the house, but she couldn’t give up on her future or her money. Realistically, the amount of money she was spending just to attend University was something she couldn’t afford to miss out on just because she was broken hearted.

She was saddened to find out that neither of the places that she applied for an internship had contacted her, but she put it down to the fact that there were a lot of applicants with better specs than she had.  There’s always second year for all of that.

Luckily, or unluckily for her she didn’t have any reason to run into Professor Seung-Ho because she didn't have him this semester, so she never saw him unless she went out of her way to go and look for him, which she never did. She did however, from time to time look out her window at night to check if his lights were on and interestingly enough they were. They were always on as if he was trying to let her know that he was home.

Stop it she chastised herself for thinking about him again.

Whilst she was avoiding one man, she was in search of another. She hadn’t seen Jin-Goo for the whole of semester, he wouldn’t reply to any of her texts and whenever she tried to go to the English department hoping to see him she never did. She didn’t want to believe the thoughts her twisted psyche wanted her to believe. The thoughts that were telling her that he’d left her and that he wasn’t going to come back, just like she’d expected. They were whispering to her how much of a fool she was for believing in him, but she couldn’t succumb to her thoughts. She wants to trust Jin-Goo, he promised her.

So-Hyun stepped out of her final exam, despite answering the questions to the best of her ability she had the feeling that she had barely passed, and on a normal day it would have stressed her out, but she just didn't have the energy. 

“So-Hyunnie” Ga-Young called, placing her hand over So-Hyun’s shoulder

“Oh, Unnie”

“I’m not even going to ask how that exam was, look at everyone’s faces, I almost broke down in tears!”

So-Hyun gave a small laugh “Agreed.”

“Should we have lunch first before going or do you want to eat at mine?”

“I thought you said you didn’t want to eat before we go to the ball tonight?” So-Hyun asked giving her friend a knowing look. Not only was Ga-Young addicted to talking, but she was also a complete foodie.

“Ha! After that exam? Screw that, I’m feasting and so are you! Let’s go!” She joked, and So-Hyun shook her head as she followed Ga-Young’s steps. After persistently talking to Ga-Young they had managed to get a little closer… or so she thinks, she’s not too sure how the friendship thing works anymore. They mainly spend time studying or having lunch, sometimes with Ga-Young’s boyfriend Ji-Soo, which So-Hyun didn’t mind but she always had the feeling like she was a third wheel. Not the usual happy to in third wheel, but the kind of rusty wheel that people pity. Even if Ga-Young assured her that wasn’t the case, So-Hyun knew what Ji-Soo was thinking. 

Doing the things, she used to do with Jin-Goo made So-Hyun feel funny inside, and there were days where she wished she could just stand on top of Seoul where she could see everything and just scream his name so that she could find him. Kind of like where’s Wally, but Jin-Goo style… and he would be wearing his favorite grey hoodie and not stripes.

“Did you bring your dress with you?” Ga-Young asked as they slid into her convertible. 

“Ah yes, and... no. I left it in my locker… give me five minutes okay?”

“Sure”

So-Hyun jogged her way back into the University building and towards her locker. She unlocked it, taking out the bag with her dress inside and was about to close the door when a piece of paper fell on the floor. So-Hyun looked around suspiciously but there was no one around. She carefully picked It up and read what was on it

So-Hyun-ah.

I hope you’re okay.

I’m sorry, I know I’ve been a bad friend, but I’m making up for it.

You trust this Oppa right? I’m always with you even If you can’t see me.

Fighting!

“Jin-Goo Oppa?” So-Hyun muttered under her breath and looked around once more to see if she could find any traces of him, but there was nothing, not one spec. What did this note even mean? Why couldn’t he text or call her like he used to? She had so many questions to ask him, but more importantly she just wanted to know that he was okay.

Locking her door, she turned around slowly in attempt to get back to Ga-Young’s car when she bumped into someone.

“Ah, I’m sorry-” She gave bow, but stopped midway. I know this scent. So-Hyun slowly lifted her head, first noticing a tie and then very familiar lips, and finally a very familiar dimple and then she met the eyes of the person.

Hiccup.

“Seonsaengnim…”

“So-Hyun haksaeng” He spoke, his voice was cold, but his eyes were a warmth that she had gotten used to.

“I’m sorry” she apologised again, completing her bow this time.

“Next time watch where you’re going So-Hyun haksaeng” He said, before swiftly making his way around her and off to God knows where.

So-Hyun let out a big sigh and stood there for a moment because her legs felt like jelly and she knew that if she tried to move an inch she would probably fall. That wasn’t how she expected to see him after everything, but then again, she didn’t really have any expectations. He seemed normal, like the same cold professor she met all those months ago.

Normal is good, normal is great she thought. Normal was exactly what she wanted, right?

“Unnie, do we really have to go tonight?” She asked approaching the car. I’ve suddenly lost the desire to go.

“Ahhh, So-Hyun-ah! We’re going, we’ve paid already so let’s at least eat our money’s worth of food… I’ll make you look pretty okay!”

So-Hyun nodded reluctantly and as they set off, she had the feeling that it was going to be a long night.

^^^^

They had been at Ga-Young’s house for the last 6 hours, 2 of which she spent eating and speaking to her boyfriend. So-Hyun didn’t mind, but she just wanted tonight to be over and done with already.

So-Hyun was wearing a white halter-neck gown that had diamantes lightly decorating the neck area. It was floor length so that her silver heels were covered, which was good because she did not have the time to paint her nails. Her hair was bone straight and she decided to go for her signature bangs swept to the side. Ga-Young had helped with her makeup and So-Hyun had to give it to her, it was a skill that she could not possess even with practice because the difference could be seen.

So-Hyun watched as Ga-Young stepped out of the bathroom, clad in a short black puff dress that no one but Ga-Young could probably pull of these days. Her legs were on full blast and So-Hyun wondered what Ji-Soo would say if he was here right now, he had the habit of getting a little jealous when guys looked at Ga-Young and So-Hyun was sure that many eyes would be on her Unnie tonight.

“So-Hyunnie, let’s go! Ah don’t forget the masks”

So-Hyun nodded and held up the masks they had bought for the ball before setting off. Even though So-Hyun didn’t understand why it was a masked event, she decided to go along with it anyway. When they got to the venue, they were greeted with valet service and a long red carpet awaited them.

“I’m pretty sure this was Psych society and not the entertainment awards” Ga-Young laughed.

“Tell me about it” So-Hyun agreed suddenly feeling slightly uncomfortable.

“Well, I guess you get what you pay for! Here” She gave So-Hyun her mask to put on whilst carefully putting on her own. “Shall we go your highness?” Ga-Young asked, holding out her arm for So-Hyun to hold, which she nervously, yet gladly took.

“We shall, your highness” They laughed at their silliness before walking down the red carpet and into the building. So-Hyun had to give it to them, the hall was well decorated, crystal chandeliers dimly lit the hall and the music was light to start with setting the ambiance. People were talking and standing with their friends, but as

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter