HAPPY BIRTHDAY

My Psychology Professor
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

~Chapter song: Bii ‘Back in Time’~

So-Hyun sat at the back of the lecture theatre, observing as Seung-Ho dominated the stage with his presence. His pronunciation, his swift movements and the passion in his eyes reminded So-Hyun of her first year at University and how they had first met. She smiled at the thought, her eyes swiftly meeting his as he scanned the room.

“Thank you for listening, this concludes my speech.” Seung-Ho concluded. So-Hyun clapped louder than the other spectators in support of Seung-Ho who had just given a speech on his recent research project. It had only been a few months since she graduated but being back on University grounds already felt nostalgic.

She carefully walked down the long stairs to the stage and outside of the hall to wait for Seung-Ho. By the look on his face she could tell he was surprised to see her walk out. Despite having talked about their relationship and Seung-Ho being okay with being seen at his workplace, she didn’t want to sour the ambience, especially with highly respected professors and psychologists were there.

“So-Hyun-ah” Seung-Ho whispered, gently pulling her back inside the theatre. He held her hand tighter when she tried to let go as they walked towards two men who were much older than Seung-Ho, evident from their gray hair and portruding bellies. “Professor Jung, Professor Yoon this is Kim So-Hyun… my partner. So-Hyun-ah these are some of the professors that helped with my research.” So-Hyun reddened under the stares and noise that they made but still managed to greet them. She glanced at Seung-Ho who although was still in his professional mode, there was a light aura around him.

What have I done to him? She asked herself in surprise. The Professor she knew back at University wouldn’t have even cracked a smile let alone divulge his private life like this. But then again, times have changed and so has he. She eased in his presence.

“Ah no wonder! I was wondering why somebody who usually never smiled suddenly started to smile checking his phone every free period he has.” Professor Jung chimed.

“You’ve really done a 180 on this man, So-Hyun-ssi. I don’t know what you’re doing, but keep doing it, it’s nice to see him living like a normal person.” Professor Yoon added, his eyes drifting behind her “Oh? Professor Ara, you made it? Come here!”

So-Hyun froze at the mention of her name. She hadn’t exchanged words with Ara-seonsaengnim since she had warned her to break things off with Seung-Ho before. So-Hyun originally admired Ara and that hasn’t changed, but the words that she had spoken to her that day were still prominent in So-Hyun’s mind and she saw a different person to the one she had once called her professor.

Seung-Ho must have felt So-Hyun’s change in mood as he drew her closer to his side, giving her a supportive smile when she raised her head. “Head up and be confident. You’re my girl.” He whispered.

“Professor Ara, how did you find the talk?” Professor Yoon asked. 

“Very enlightening. I hope that this will be a kickstart to further development in the brain mechanisms underlying thought. It’s an area I’ve been interested in myself.” She explained. So-Hyun unconsciously let out a yawn, covering for politeness but by the glare Ara sent her way it didn’t translate that way.

“So-Hyun haksaeng, no that’s not right. So-Hyun-ssi, long time no see.” She greeted, smirking at the way the other two professor’s eyes widened at the revelation. So-Hyun made sure to keep her composure. Seung-Ho was right, they had nothing to be embarassed about and she had no reason to feel inferior to Ara anymore.

“Professor Ara, it’s nice to see you again” a gummy smile thrown her way.

“Oh, so you were a student at this University?” Professor Jung inquired, and So-Hyun nodded her head. “Well… That’s interesting. What does that matter hey?” He laughed “Love is a strange thing am I right? I met my wife as her supervisor back at University, of course back then things were a bit stricter.” He enlightened them with his story.

The couple listened to the words of advice from Professor Jung, with So-Hyun in particular smiling at Go-Ara’s failed attempt to embarrass her.

After greeting the other members and answering questions from the guests, they made their way out. They had planned to meet So-Hyun’s mother tonight and Seung-Ho insisted to drive to her house, but she was apprehensive. She had spoken to Seung-Ho about her recent issue with getting into cars and he was more than understanding, even helping her try and overcome it. They would practice just sitting in his car and getting into the bus at the times she felt confident enough.

Seung-Ho held her hand on their drive to her house, trying to distract her with music and small talk which she appreciated. When they arrived, So-Hyun pulled Seung-Ho in a direction that wasn’t to their house.

“Where are we going?” He questioned.

“You’ll see.”

They entered a white building filled with people and families that were either crying or smiling walked in and out. Seung-Ho looked to So-Hyun and he instantly knew where they were. “So-Hyun-ah are you sure?” He asked.

“You’ll have to meet him one day, why not today? You can’t meet my mum without meeting my father.” She smiled and when they got to the spot that her father occupied, So-Hyun introduced them and Seung-Ho immediately payed his respects.

“Abeonim, I’m Yoo Seung-Ho, the man that’s dating your daughter... I hope you don’t find it rude that I came empty handed like this, next time I’ll be sure to bring something. So-Hyun tells me you like pears, I’ll bring some for you next time. Abeonim, please allow me to date your daughter and please watch over us, I’ll do my best to make her happy.” He finished with a deep bow.

Turning to So-Hyun who was on the verge of tears, he pulled her into a hug. “Thank you for letting me meet him”. Seung-Ho stepped aside, allowing her to spend time with her father before they left. When she finished, they walked hand in hand to her house, with So-Hyun reminding Seung-Ho of the ways he could win over her mother.

When they arrived at her house Seung-Ho was nervous, he looked to So-Hyun who was trying to stifle her laughter. “You’ll be fine” she eased. “Now, kiss.” She ordered, and he more than willingly obeyed, planting a soft kiss on her lips before stepping aside as she unlocked the front door.

Her mother had set up everything for her annual family birthday meal. Everything was the same as usual, the same red velvet cake and party balloons – the only new thing being the addition of Seung-Ho. Within all of 5 minutes, her mother had Seung-Ho on her dining table on the hot seat, starting off with the basics such as his occupation, his family and his intentions with So-Hyun.

“You’re not particularly on the young side, so do you have any plans of marrying my daughter?” Her mother flatlined.

“Mum!” So-Hyun exclaimed trying to get her mother to not go down that route but was surprised to hear Seung-Ho’s confident answer.

“Yes.” He affirmed “Whenever So-Hyun is ready and with your blessing, Eommoni, if I may call you that I would like to spend the rest of my life with your daughter. That’s if So-Hyun wants to marry me anyway…”

Oh God.

“What if I don’t give my blessing?” Her arms now crossed, and she gave him a look that let him know that this was a test of some sorts.

“Then I will try my hardest and fight until the day you will accept me as your son in-law.” Seung-Ho countered, still not wavering.

“Is that so?” She hummed in acknowledgement.

Just when Seung-Ho thought he was able to breathe Da-Reum, So-Hyun’s younger brother came into the kitchen with suspicion in his eyes. “What do you want to do with my Noona?”

Oh God.

“Oh- hmm. This Hyeong wants to try and make your Noona happy… Would that be okay?”

“How? She can’t be happy all the time.” He countered.

“That's true, but I’ll do everything that I can to make that happen. I’ll support her when she needs me, and I’ll do my best so that I won’t hurt her feelings. Your Noo

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter