A LATE GOOD NIGHT

My Psychology Professor
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

~Chapter Song: HEIZE ‘You, Clouds, Rain’~

“Kim So-Hyun-ssi, I’m sure you know my grandson?” The halmeoni spoke and So-Hyun stood still.

Grandson? What Grandson? S-Seonsaengnim? Halmeoni, I don’t know anyone.

So-Hyun slowly turned around and gave the halmeoni a warm smile “Halmeoni… grandson? W-who is your grandson?” she asked. Please don’t say it.

The halmeoni stared at So-Hyun, inspecting her from head to toe. “Oh, this boy” she giggled “He must not have spoken about me often?” So-Hyun stared blankly at this halmeoni unable to process what exactly in the hell was going on. 

What does she want from me?

Don’t panic.

Is she going to hand me a white envelope?

“Jin-Goo…” The halmeoni spoke “… You know a boy by the name of Jin-Goo, don’t you?” Her eyes now peering at So-Hyun, but was curled up in a smile.

“J-Jin Goo…? Ah are you Jin-Goo’s halmeoni?” So-Hyun sighed before giving a full 90 degrees bow. “… But Halmeoni, what brings you all the way here- “

“I” she began to speak, cutting So-Hyun off “Just wanted to see the kind of friend my Jin-Goo was hanging around”

What a weird way of saying hi So-Hyun thought.

“Ah… okay. Nice to meet you for the first time, my na- “

“No need.” Jin-Goo’s halmeoni cut her off for the second time with a smile “I know who you are already and now I’ve seen you in person. I… just wanted to meet the person that has my Jin-Goo living like a human being again”.

“Pardon?” So-Hyun asked in a confused tone. Human being?

Jin-Goo’s halmeoni chuckled before continuing “Well I’ll be going now, here take this” she said pulling out a business card from her purse and handing it to So-Hyun “If you ever need anything, don’t hesitate to call me” giving a wide-eyed smile. I see where Oppa gets his smile from.

“Ah halmeoni, there’s no need thank you” So-Hyun said in attempt to give the card back.

“Please” Jin-Goo’s halmeoni pushed the card back to So-Hyun “Whoever’s a friend of Jin-Goo is a friend of mine”.

“Also, don’t let him know that I met you here today. As you may know that boy Jin-Goo seems to be a bit embarrassed of me” she chuckled “So-Hyun-ssi, you seem like a smart girl so I’m sure you understand what I mean.” With her final words she made her way back into the car, the sound of her walking stick getting fainter the farther she walked. So-Hyun stood in the same position and made sure to bow as the car drove off.  

“Mrs Sook” the secretary started once they were on the car “Will this be okay? I thought you were going to tell her clearly to stay away from Young Master Jin-Goo” he asked and cleared his throat when he heard her scoff.

“Secretary Jung” she spoke in a calm tone.

“Yes, Mrs Sook”

“Since when have you ever seen such tactics work? Doing that would be too obvious and messy.” She said quietly inspecting her fresh manicure “We have to work so that we remove her from his side without any noise. You know how his personality is.”

“Yes, Mrs Sook”

“This is just the beginning. It’s a shame really, she seemed like she had manners.” She muttered before laying her head back and closing her eyes.

Jin-Goo -yah, Halmeoni will have to keep taking everything away from you until the day you assume your rightful position.

^^^^

So-Hyun made her way into town to meet Jin-Goo and many thoughts were going through her head. She didn’t know how to take his halmeoni’s words, her lips were saying one thing, but her eyes were saying another. One thing she was sure of was that it wouldn’t be right to keep this from Jin-Goo like she had asked. So-Hyun has never been the type of girl to lie unnecessarily and she didn’t see the point in lying to Jin-Goo about this, she’s read to many novels to know that communication is key in friendship.

Besides feeling taken aback by what had just happened, So-Hyun’s emotions were mainly aimed at Jin-Goo. She felt disappointed that he hadn’t been honest with her. She’d tried to convince herself by reasoning that not every Chaebol drives a fancy car with secretary and designer clothes, but the more she tried the stupider she felt. Nothing would have changed if he had told her, because now even the mere thought of not having Jin-Goo by her side hurts. She knows that she shouldn’t make excuses in the name of friendship nor should she jump to conclusions, but she can’t help but feel troubled.

Perhaps she was feeling upset at herself for only just coming to the realisation that she didn’t know a lot about Jin-Goo. Had she been selfish, or did he just not tell her the important parts of his life? She doesn’t like prying into someone else’s life, so she thought she was doing the right thing by not asking him too many questions, but now she’s starting to think that wasn’t the best idea.

How hypocritical So-Hyun-ah, you don’t have the right to be upset. You can’t even tell him about Professor Seung-Ho.

So-Hyun:

>Oppa

>Sorry, I had a small set-back, I’m on my way!

When she arrived at the movie theatre she immediately caught eyes with Jin-Goo who ran up to her and lifted her up into a hug.

“I missed you!” He beamed.

“Oppa, put me down, people are looking” She whispered in embarrassment.

“Who cares?” He giggled “That was your punishment, you made me wait for over an hour” he said letting her down with a pout.

They decided on watching a re-run of the Avengers, mainly because she caved in when Jin-Goo pulled out the level B aegyo card, she can barely handle level C how dare he. He paid for the food and she paid for the tickets, before making their way into the theatre.

Mid-way through the advertisements So-Hyun excused herself to the bathroom leaving behind her belongings. Jin-Goo was stuffing his face with nachos when he saw So-Hyun’s phone flash, he ignored it until it flashed again and slightly saw the name that came up on her screen. He shook his head thinking that he was seeing things, until the same name flashed again, for the third time.

Professor Seung-Ho:

>So-Hyun-ah

> I miss you already… It’s funny right? We only separated yesterday

>Spending this weekend with you meant a lot to me…

Jin-Goo’s body tensed up and he unconsciously clenched his fists. He was conflicted, he didn’t want to look at her phone, but he didn’t want to ignore what he had just seen. He slowly moved his focus back to the movie screen and wiped his eyes roughly to make sure they weren’t seeing things. When So-Hyun came back, he welcomed her with a warm smile and offered her some nachos, concluding that it wasn't his place to ask, nor was it the right place and time. 

As much as he tried, he couldn’t concentrate throughout the whole movie and spent majority of his time looking at So-Hyun through the corner of his eye. By the time the movie had finished he was still on the quiet-side and So-Hyun noticed.

“Oppa, what’s wrong? You love this movie, but I didn’t hear you laugh at all” she asked, but he only smiled in response.

 W

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter