Z for Zero Points

The ABC Series

1

Seo Hyun was sitting on Incheon waiting room for the third time that month, heading to Taiwan together with her eight unnies. She was staring through the big wall to wall windows, displaying dozens of airplanes preparing to go to the four corners of the world, when her cellphone vibrated.

A text has arrived.“Hi. I just watched your new Japanese MV. You look pretty”

She replied swiftly, too used with the gadget by now, as if it’s her only best friend lately.

“Gamsahamnida, Oppa. Where are you? What are you doing?”

“Singapore. Waiting for the concert to start”

“Good luck. Have fun!”

“Thank you, Hyun. Take care”

**********************************

2

He saw a pretty pink bracelet on the airport that night, before flying back to Korea.
He bought it without thinking too much, because it reminded him of her. Anything pink, anything bright.

He asked his manager to send it through a courier the next morning, after he quickly wrote a note of :

Pink reminds me of you. I saw this and just bought it in the airport last night. I hope you like it.

JYH.

Two days later he received an MMS. It was a picture displaying a white wrist wearing a pink bracelet.

********************************

3

His phone vibrated after a meeting with the management finished. He was sleepy and starving. But he smiled wide when he opened the message.

It was a picture of his CD cover of Banmal Song. Or, more elegantly named, “For First Time Lovers”.

“I carry this around” her text said.

He reached his bag and took a picture of SNSD’s Japanese single which he recently bought when he was at a convenient store in Tokyo.

“I carry this around too, Hyun”.

**********************************

4

He got better in acting, she concluded, as she watched his new drama every week. Every gesture, every expression, every affection defined a man in love. The drama reached a peak that night, as the two leading characters shared a sweet kiss.

She texted a desperate message. On the verge of tears and curiosity. She had tried to ignore the rumors that Yong Hwa shared a relationship with that girl.

“Oppa, don’t be mad at me. I just have to ask this. Do you like Park Shin Hye-ssi?”

He replied an hour later, just got home and read her text.

“I do, Hyun. She’s very talented and a very good friend. But you’re more important for me. You know that, right?”

“I’m sorry. I was foolish” she replied.

He stared at his LCD. And dialed her number.

“Yah. Why are you so sad?”

“Yong Oppa….” she greeted, smiling in her room though she couldn’t hide the shaking of her voice.

“Hyun….Don’t cry. Please” he coaxed.

“It’s alright. I’m okay. I think I just…..”

“I miss you” Yong Hwa beat her into it.

Her breath got caught in . She took a deep take of air, swallowing another sob.

“I miss you too, Oppa……”

“There. Come on. Stop crying. Talk to me”

“Ahrasseo…..”

“What did you do today?”

And they talked and talked and talked, satisfying their thirst of each others’ voices.

******************************

5

She took a picture from the balcony of the rising sun and sent it to him.

“Bangkok this morning” she texted.

He replied. “I can give you a picture of Hong Kong this morning. But I don’t need pictures of skies. I’ve had enough of skies. I see it too much from the plane’s windows lately. I rather see your face”

She smiled. Tidying her untied hair, she took a picture of herself with the early sky illuminating in the background.

He smiled too when he received it. Her hair was tugged on one shoulder and she was as lovely as ever.

“Yeppeuda…..” he replied.

“Where’s your picture? Palliiiii!!!!!!”

He chuckled and walked out to the hotel’s balcony. It was raining softly in Hong Kong that morning.

Still, he took a picture of himself and sent it to her.

He waited eagerly for a reply.

“I’ll make this my phone’s wallpaper”.

He laughed and shook his head. Wasn't that funny? The reaction she evokes even from a thousand miles away?

*********************************

6

Happy birthday Yong Oppa! I wish you will always be healthy, successful, and happy. I will never, ever regret everything that happens between us. I’m so glad I can know you. You have brightened my days. I pray for more days to come, together with you. Yongseo couple, fighting!

He smiled wistfully, remembering last year, when they shared a new couple ring at
Ganghwado. He his ring inside his t-shirt.

Later that night, he received a present.

It was a silver watch. He admired it and turned it around his palm.

There was a graving at the back of the watch.

To JYH from SJH.

That was in alphabets.

There was one more word in Korean.

“Yongwonhi” it said.

He immediately wore the watch.

Seo Hyun felt warm when she browsed the internet and saw him wearing it.

*****************************

7

Her cellphone's notification said she had received a new file. From Jung Yong Hwa.

She downloaded it. It was a song, it seemed.

A text came along with it.

“I just finished composing this song. Tell me what you think”.

Glancing to Hyo Yeon unnie who was sleeping soundly, she attached her earphones and pressed play.

It was a sweet song about missing someone and longing for a day to meet again. It was sincere, beautiful, and hard to forget.

Yong Hwa was waiting for the reply, he held his phone in his hand, playing the freshly recorded demo.

“I think it’s amazing” the text said.

He beamed proudly.

******************************

8

The dorm’s bell rang on the morning of her birthday. Jessica unnie was the one who received it. She carried inside a bouquet of roses and a little gift bag.

“Oooh. It’s hard not to envy you, Hyunnie!” Jessica said, smiling nonetheless, giving everything to Seo Hyun who was drinking papaya tea on the kitchen.

She searched for a card and read :

16 roses for the 16 months we’ve known each other. Have a very happy birthday, Seo Joo Hyun. It’s been awhile since we have a chance to see each other and really talk. But wherever I am, whatever I do, I always feel you’re close to me.

JYH

There was one more envelope inside the gift bag. She opened it. It was a picture of two rows of goguma field, planted with Gogumas.

The note said,

“I asked the owner to plant it. I have no time to do it myself, I’m sorry. When the time to pick them up comes, I’ll send everything to you. I hope this time it will be better than last year’s finger sticks gogumas”.

She opened the box and gasped when she saw what’s inside. It was a diamond hanging on a gold chain. The diamond was shaped like a drop of tears.

There was one more note inside the box.

“My mother said gold means fifty years. But the lady at the jewellery shop said diamond is forever. So I bought you a combination of both, for a long life with you”.

She took a shower, put on a blue dress, and carefully used her make-up, before wearing the necklace.

She dialed his phone for a video call.

He received instantly.

“Oppa, annyeong!” she waved.

He looked at her on his LCD.

“Annyeong”

“Thank you for the present!” she said, holding the diamond dangling on her neck to let him see clearer.

“You’re welcome. Oh, it suits you!”

She smiled happily.

“Hyun,”

“Ne?”

“Why are you so pretty? Are you going to a party this early?”

“Ah, cham….You don’t know?”

“Of what?”

“I’m calling you. So I dressed up”

He laughed. “Gomawo. Send me a picture after this”

“Ne. I will”

*************************************

9

He couldn’t sleep. It was 3 am. He tried to write a song, played his guitar, played the piano, started an online game, but nothing could take his mind away from the gnawing screams inside his heart.

Imissyou, I miss you, I miss YOU!!!!

It’s been too long since they saw each other. They texted and called each other as often as they could, but it’s not enough.

Yong Hwa played with his phone.

He thought regretting the path he chose would be useless. Besides, he wouldn’t even be able to meet her if he wasn’t Jung Yong Hwa from CNBLUE. He knew their show would end, and end it did. He knew their relationship would then be filled with too much missing and longing for each other, but he chose it consciously, feeling less was better than nothing.

He had no doubt of her feeling.

They clearly loved each other.

But sometimes, just sometimes, this world of glitz and fame felt like four narrow walls that kept them painfully apart from each other.

She might be sleeping. She might not be sleeping.

He dialed.

It was picked up after the second ring.

“Hi” he began.

“Hi” she answered.

“You’re not sleeping?” he asked.

“What about you, Oppa?”

“I can’t sleep tonight”

“Me too. Though I’m exhausted. I don’t know why”

“Hyun….”

“Ne?”

“I miss you so much” he sighed to the phone, voice raw and unguarded. He was just so tired of being strong.

She was silent.

“I miss you. I wish we’re just an ordinary couple, so I could take you to the cinema
and dinners and dates to the malls…..”

“Oppa….” she sighed warily. “That’s my wish too. But, this is our life, right?”

“Yes, it is”

“Love Light is number one on my playlist” she smiled.

“I was playing Oh on my I-Pod an hour ago……”

She laughed, it was like the best melody on his ears.

“We’re so doomed aren’t we?” she asked.

“Yeah”

“Maybe we should sleep”

“I’ll sleep later. I don’t have to work today. It’s a miracle after five months of—“

“You have no schedules today?” Seo Hyun cut in.

“Yes”

“But me too!” Seo Hyun announced urgently.

They were speechless as they digested the coincidence.

“I’ll go to your place” she decided.

“What? Hyun! Do you mean—“

“I mean it. I’m going there now. Wait for me”

“Hyun! You—“

But she hung up already.

He came out of his room and sat in front of the TV.

Less than thirty minutes later, the doorbell rang.

He had no time analyzing her expression, because she moved and reached for him the second she saw him, throwing her arms around his neck and hugging him tight.

In reflex, he hugged her back, pulling her in and locking the front door. “Hyun, if anyone saw you—“

“Maybe I’ll get scolded. Maybe I won’t. I don’t really care right now. I’m tired being obedient”

He smoothed her back and noticed that she was trembling a little. Still hugging her, he walked them both to his room, locking the door too when they entered.

Seo Hyun buried her nose on his neck and closed her eyes. “Yong Oppa, I’ve missed you so much”

He reached his bed and lied down, bringing her down with him.

“Me too. I’ve missed you so bad, Hyun” he said, not completely believing this was real.

She leaned on her palm and looked at his face for the first time.

“It’s been too long” she confessed.

“It’s been like centuries” he added.

“I cried myself to sleep too much, Oppa”

He her hair, which was let loose like how he liked it, and pushed some behind
her ear.

“Nae yeoshin….have you been well?”

Tears immediately pooled in her eyes and she moved down, placing her lips lightly on
his.

He closed his eyes and savored the chaste touch. When he opened his eyes again, she
was gazing down at him.

They talked with their eyes. It’s hard to explain. But everything that was hard to convey, was always understood when they looked into each other.

They touched their lips together again at the same time.

It was light and full of longing, as they grazed each other, murmuring each other’s
names. He reached her cheeks with both hands and pulled her closer, opening his mouth,
letting her move hesitantly deeper.

She breathed faster and stopped leaning on her palms, bringing her body warm and soft against his.

He slowly explored , because it’s been so long, and he had missed this too much.

Their tongues touched and she gave a surprised gasp.

He froze.

And reacted.

He pushed her face impossibly closer, meshing his lips against her, kissing her deeper and harder, rubbing her back and circled his feet around her slim, long legs.

She gave in willingly, opening her lips wide to give him full access.

He turned her over.

She’s mesmerizing. He felt his heart jumped wildly inside. Seo Hyun is here. Here, here, here.

He’s beyond handsome, gazing down on her like that. Jung Yong Hwa, hold me, hold me, hold me.

So she leaned up and kissed him again.

He tightened his hold and drank her in, drowning himself, caressing every part he
could reach, trying to translate all of his pent up feelings for her.

They were satisfied then, together in each other’s arm. They got their answers. They got their sweet salvation. They loved each other.

********************************

10

When Yong Hwa appeared from his room, holding Seo Hyun’s hand, Min Hyuk, Jung Shin, and Jong Hyun stopped their harmonious cooperation of preparing breakfast.

They exchanged glances, looking up at their leader who was holding his girlfriend’s hand tight.

“Good morning, Hyungsoonim” Min Hyuk tried.

Seo Hyun looked up in surprise. She swallowed and smiled slowly. “Good morning”

They all smiled widely.

Jung Shin then exploded to a big bundle of fuss, pushing Seo Hyun to the table, “Sit down, sit down. Jong Hyun Hyung is cooking this morning”

“I hope I don’t interrupt your—“

“Not at all, not at all” Jong Hyun denied, grinning to her.

Min Hyuk placed a set of plate and bowl and glass and chopsticks beside Yong Hwa’s
usual space.

“Sit down” he urged.

So she sat down.

“Green tea? Apple juice? Orange maybe? Or coffee? Oh right, you think coffee is bad. Water, maybe?” Jung Shin offered, looking almost giddy.

“Apple juice, thank you”

Jung Shin marched to the fridge and filled her cup to the brim.

“Yah! It’s too full!” Yong Hwa scolded.

“It’s okay!” Seo Hyun laughed, bending down and held her hair together, sipping the juice without taking the cup. “Now it’s not too full”.

They smiled together again.

Min Hyuk filled her bowl with rice. “Eat a lot, Seo Hyun”

“Ne”

Jong Hyun came, bringing the puffing pot full of seafood soup.

“Seo Hyun first” he announced.

She didn’t do anything so Jung Shin concluded it was his job to fill her bowl with the
best treats he could find.

Yong Hwa gave her the spoon. “Go on. Help yourself”

She nodded and tasted it. “Oh. It’s good!”

“Thank you!” Jong Hyun exclaimed in satisfaction.

They all then watched her eat up slowly.

“Aren’t you all going to eat too?” she asked.

They laughed and finally filled their bowls too.

“It is good!” Min Hyuk agreed.

“Hyung? Yah! Stop staring like that, she’ll choke if you keep it on” Jung Shin
protested, pushing Yong Hwa’s shoulder.

Yong Hwa hit Jung Shin’s shoulder playfully, but finally proceeded to eat breakfast.

***************************************

Author's Note :

The product of not being able to sleep again. I need to let out some useless energy and I just want to make fellow Gogumas happy, or maybe feel better. That's all. I hope you like it.