M for Midnight Discussions

The ABC Series

He clicked, tapped and saved, muttering in concentration as he finished the demo of his new song. It’s pure rock, he thought, harder than any of CNBLUE’s songs for the past year, but it explained about not giving up on life and always running forward. But then he clucked his tongue, unsatisfied with several chords. He took his loyal guitar and contemplated for inspiration.

He leaned on his chair, and stared to the ceiling. And absent-mindedly admired his new set of composing device. He had been obsessed with recording devices in the recent years, always jumping to buy every new version that was launched. He thanked his luck for having the means now, to buy his gadgets, to buy this house, to make this soundproof studio complete with every music instruments he wanted. He had proved to his parents that he could make it all the way to here.

And a note came to his mind and he quickly strummed his guitar, before it flew away to the wind. The recorded cut was something next to complete. It needed more polishing, but he was quite satisfied. Now, if he could just merge that bridge to that interlude he was sure it would be—

“Do you plan to stay up all night?”

He shot his eyes to the door, surprised to hear her voice out of the blue.

“Um…no, actually. What time is it?”

“Two thirty …..” his wife answered, all graceful moves combined with sleepy eyes.

“Mianhe. I disturbed you”

“Yet you keep doing this. Though you know there will be another day and the next”

“Hmm. But if I don’t do this now I might forget it”

She sighed. Too used with the argument to prepare another comeback.

He pulled a chair next to his and signaled for her to come over. “Come here. I want you to hear this new song”

“Sleep…” she whined.

“Ne. After you listen to this I’ll turn this off”

She obliged and sat down, as he pushed replay and she listened. She put her feet under her and fixed her look to the desk as she concentrated to listen to his song. He observed with a mix of pride and wonder as she nodded to the beat.

“It’s good” she praised at the end. “It’s full of spirit but still easy to the ears. I feel like I could run the entire complex now” she chuckled. “You mean to tell about ‘energy’ right?” she defined.

He bit the insides of his mouth, always amazed by how she could understand so easily. Without any explanation needed.

“Exactly. That’s what I’m trying to say”

“I know. It’s a great song. I’m sure it will be a hit. Now, can the songwriter sleep?”

He laughed, feeling a tingle of sparkle all over the room, all over her, actually. He copied the file to his phone and logged out from his PC, and stared at his wife during the wait. She stared back with playfulness in her eyes, like asking “Mwo?” in silence.

He leaned back on his chair and stared some more. And it’s really hard to believe, he counted mentally, how after 7 years of knowing each other, 6.5 years as lovers, simultaneously five years as fiancée, and 3 months as husband and wife, her eyes, expressions, smiles, and general presence could still sent his heart into a summersault, diving up and down like hopping on roller coasters. The realization that she wore the wedding ring he gave her, and that they now live together under the same roof, still made him rechecked whether it’s real or not.

But this was real. As real as could be. It’s 2.35 in the morning, she’s smiling back at him, wearing thin silk and hair down. He pulled her chair closer and made their knees bumped intentionally.

“Do you want to say something?” she inquired, raising her eyebrows as he held the hem of her night gown.

“I like this one” he commented.

She laughed. It’s her cute laugh deep down in that always sent him shivering to reach out to her. “Oppa, which one that you don’t like?”

“You’re right. I like each and every one of these. White, red, blue, green, black, pink, with or without it—“

“Ya!” she complained as she knew he would fall to his flirty mood and it might take them hours to get through with that.

He smiled like a drunk man as he cooed and caressed, “Hyun-ah…..” he called out, voice raw and thick with want and emotion and Seo Hyun sighed. Knowing she would give in yet again and be equally responsible for her husband’s sleep deprived state.