Are We?

Playing Pretend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"You tell me, Seulgi, what's us?" Seulgi stays quiet. She doesn't know either but there's gotta be something between them even before all of this happened. There's gotta be something when Seungwan would hug her every night. Why it was easier for her to fall asleep with someone's arms wrapped around her. Why she couldn't hate Seungwan even if the person she used to love chose the latter over her. There's gotta be something between them why Seulgi found it easy to understand why a person would fall for Seungwan.

"You and me. Us. The way we used to be." the grasp on Seulgi's hand loosens and Seungwan's facing her.

"The way we used to be? Friends? Aren't we still friends, Seulgi?" Seungwan tries to not push Seulgi away. She lets Seulgi caress her face and stare at her even when she can't do the same. She tries to ignore the unpleasant smell but it's getting harder to ignore.

"Like this. Us. Together. You and me on the same bed."

"Seulgi, you're drunk."

"Maybe I drank a little. Just a little, you know." for Seungwan, this isn't right. She doesn't want Seulgi regretting anything when she wakes up the next morning. But Seulgi's just giggling as if it's nothing. Well, atleast to Seungwan. But she doesn't know how Seulgi's also trying hard to not go too fast for her. She's still sober. She just can't think straight because Seungwan's too close. Dangerously close.

"Don't do that."

"Sorry did I do something wrong?" and there it goes again. Seulgi's back to being serious, pulling Seungwan closer to her

"You're drunk."

"If I didn't smell like alcohol, what would you do? Would you listen to me better?"

"I'm still listening."

"You've been ignoring me."

"I talked to you while I was in Mokpo."

"Are you still mad at me after I yelled at you."

"Let's not go there. I thought we've been over that."

"Tell me. Do you hate me?"

"No, I don't. You were the one who never called me back while I was in Mokpo."

"You were with your family, I didn't want to interrupt something. Why didn't call me? Do you hate me?"

"No I don't hate you, Seulgi. God I don't hate you. How could I hate you?" then it's quiet. Seulgi puts her arm over Seungwan's making the latter flinch. She gazes at Seungwan. She plays with her hair. She moves closer giving her access to that peachy scent that she has gotten used to. Oh how long has she been waiting for this to happen again. She closes her eyes and Seungwan just watches her. When she opens her eyes, Seungwan's looking back at her and it makes her feel warm. It makes her feel things.

"If you don't hate me then what?" Seungwan wants to say it so bad but there's something that's holding her back. Whenever she tries to part her lips to form the words, they just won't come out. 

"Am I making you feel uncomfortable?" Seungwan doesn't respond because as much as she hates to admit it, though it's making her heart go crazy, she loves it. She likes being this close to Seulgi again and she wonders if Seulgi feels the same. She wonders if they have the same intention. Maybe not. Maybe Seulgi's just drunk.

"Do you want me to move?" Seungwan doesn't respond.

"I'll stay here then." Seulgi pulls her into a warm embrace. They stay in that postion for a couple minutes. Seulgi feels Seungwan stiffen under her touch but she doesn't give up and embraces her tigher until Seungwan gives up and relaxes in her arms.

"You know," Seulgi starts "I used to know myself back then. It was easier for me to understand my emotions, my feelings, and all that stuff. On friday, you weren't here. I only had Sooyoung and Joohyun but they didn't want to do the usual hang out. No drinking, no more fun stuff. It felt lonely without you. I don't know why I felt like that. Even the past weeks I didn't know why I was pissed when you were too close to Joohyun. I was sad because you barely talked to me as if you were trying to avoid me. I realized just how much I love hearing you talk. Doesn't matter what it's about, I just love when you talk. Especially to me. Am I making sense?" Seungwan keeps quiet.

"Did you miss me? Because I did miss you a lot and I didn't understand why. It's okay if you don't say anything. I'm fine with that. I just want to tell you things that I should've told you long ago but I couldn't because I was blinded by a different light. Perhaps I was lost and confused? I was way too naive to even figure out my own feelings and I blame myself for that. You see, I missed you, and for some reason I still do despite the fact that you're here now, next to me." Seulgi's hand finds its way on Seungwan's head, massaging it with gently and it makes Seungwan feel safe. She doesn't want to move away. She wants to hear this instead of the noises that would keep her up at night.

"Maybe its because you've changed. Not our friendship or us but you. You never treated me the same anymore and it hurts me but do I blame you? No, I blame myself for being insensitive and yet I didn't have the courage to initiate any of those that you did to me." Seungwan feels Seulgi's heartbeat. She somehow found a way to rest her head on the latter's chest. Seulgi's smells more like herself now, like a citrus and just Seulgi. Seulgi from the first day she had her around her warmth.

"Things such as?" Seungwan mumbles on Seulgi's chest.

"I can't provide you warmth the way you provided me yours. I never made you feel special they way you unconsciously did to me when I needed company and yet I had the audacity to hurt you. I know right? I'm such a horrible person. I wish I was the one who made an effort to sleep on your bed instead of the other way around. It may sound weird to you but please bare with me. I'm still struggling to expresse myself."

"I-i don't find it weird." the short-haired girl stutters.

"You wanna hear something weirder?" Seungwan hums her response.

"I came out to my mom when you were gone. I called her and I just came out. I told her I'm a massive lesbian and she didn't say anything. After a few minutes of silence I heard her sigh from the other line. I didn't know if it was disappointment or she has just given up on me. But she asked me. She asked me how I know and then I told her. I like girls. I've had a relationship with a girl before. She then told me it's just a phase so I had to explain her that it isn't. That it's who I am. And then she asked me again how I know I'm still a lesbian." Seulgi stops and looks at Seungwan. "You wanna know what I said?" Seungwan is unsure how she's supposed to respond so she only looks back at Seulgi and the girl is smiling back at her, warmly with her stupid eye smile and that stupid face she'd make when she's about to tell her something.

"I told her that there's a special someone that makes me feel some sort of way. I told her how much I adore her and how much I wish she knows what I feel but I'm too much of a coward to confess. I was expecting for my mom to be angry but no. She encouraged me to confess before it's too late. To take a chance and get it out of my chest. So yeah. Here I am, finally having the courage to sound as dumb as possible. So Son Seungwan, I'm not asking for anything. I just want to let you know that you're that special person. And just by being next to you makes me the happiest person ever." 

There was a long silence that neither of them dared to break but despite that, neither of them broke away from the hug. Neither of them felt uncomfortable. Seungwan didn't see it coming and but she wouldn't have it any other way.

"My Seungwan who never gets tired of me." Seungwan doesn't move nor do anything in response. "You still think I'm drunk don't you?"

"No. Maybe a little."

"Do you hate me? I understand if you do. As I've said before I'm not expecting anything from you. I just want you to know that i-"

"I like you." Seungwan interrupts. "A lot."

"What?"

"I like you, Seulgi." Seulgi feels her cheeks burning and so does Seungwan and it's getting harder for them to break away from the warm embrace.

"You do?"

"Yes. Remember the night I told you that I really like someone and kept it a secret? It was you." 

"Sorry."

"For what?"

"Not realizing."

"No sorry."

"Why?"

"I could've told you sooner."

"But I like it better this way. Having me realize how important you are to me. Not like you weren't before but right now it feels like the world is around my arms."

"Stop being so cheesy."

"Am I?

"Very."

"I'm telling the truth, though. It feels nice having you here again. I missed you a lot, Wan-ah. Did you miss me?"

"Geez, how many times do you have to ask that? Is not obvious enough?"

"I want to hear you say it."

"I missed you." and then Seulgi's smiling. The room feels just like back then from the first time they shared a bed but this time they're on Seungwan's bed. For Seulgi, it's better than her own because Seungwan's bed is more comfortable and it smells just like Seungwan. The Seungwan she'd never want to lose again. She doesn't want to fall asleep tonight. She's not one to be emotional but having Seungwan in her arms again makes her want to tear up a little bit because this has been what she's been missing and yet she didn't even know that. She wishes she would've known herself but she needed a little bit of pain from longing and hints dropped by her friend who she calls mr. mullet boy or Tae. Hell she didn't even know how much she'd been talking about her everytime she'd hang out with her friend.

"You talk too much of that girl and it's harder for me to believe that you only want her as your bestfriend' ." And Taehyung gave her the ugliest laugh when she was caught blushing and she, for the first time, reacted violently by hititng the boy but the latter only made fun of her even more.

"You can't do that. You can't hide everything forever. Sometimes, you know, you just gotta be bold. Just rock the wo-" And then he received another painful hit from her.

"No seriously. Can you even hear yourself right now? It'd be better to tell all that to her than to me. You know, to your little precious friend who you treasure the most bla bla bla. You're whipped and I think it's about time you realize it" But at that time Seulgi had to deny it because she wasn't so sure herself. She thought falling in love would be impossible with her after her tragic breakup but here she is falling tw

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter