Rumors and "We're Dating"

Playing Pretend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Seulgi is nervous.

She hears rummaging inside their dorm and a meek sound of a humming. A familiar song yet a different tone. She stands there in front of the closed doors, receiving some unwanted attention from the students passing by. Girls gossiping about their suspension. The main topic,

"Joohyun, the model student who ed, Sooyoung, the delinquent, and then, Seulgi, the pretty but dumb one who ‘interrupted’ their make-out session because she’s supposed to be Sooyoung’s buddy and she was jealous.”

"Turned out Yerim was ing Sooyoung too and Sooyoung chose Yerim because Yerim is apparently the best at using .”

"And then there’s Seungwan who would do Seulgi every night in their dorm. I heard they each other. Stephanie told me she could sometimes hear them early in the morning.”

"I heard Jisoo said something about that Seungwan girl having feelings for Seulgi and she went home because she’s heartbroken or some . She did it cause of privelege and stuff like that. Something we don't have.”

"Wack. Did you see how Seulgi and Joohyun went in the same car? You think they’re ing too? Are they in some kind of open relationship and then suddenly one of them started catching feelings?”

"That’s disgusting. I guess that’s lesbian culture or I don’t know? Maybe they're ually frustrated because this school is literally a free zone?”

"If that’s true then Seungwan probably s her sister too. How gross. That’s some going on. Thank God, Seungwan doesn’t have a . Imagine Yerim getting pregnant by her brother, Seungwan.”

The girls started laughing and Seulgi stood there annoyed, holding the urge to shut them up. Crazy how the rumors started getting out of hand. How did they even come up with that? There’s no way Seungwan would ask the office for a day off- days off, because of her. There’s no way Seungwan would catch feelings for someone like her.

Still, Seulgi stands there waiting for another gossip. Maybe something about Seungwan or her or maybe her AND Seungwan. Anything about Seungwan’s thoughts about her even though she knows it’s fake and you know, just rumors.

"That was funny. I mean no homo but if Seungwan was a man, she can ing get it and this . She just needs to be a lot taller and I would break up with my boyfriend and take her instead.”

She shakes head her with a sigh. She twists the knob, anxiously, letting the door swing open slowly. And then there she sees Seungwan’s back, hair now cut very short and dyed jet black.

"”

Seungwan looks back at her, now totally aware of her presence. Seungwan looks different, at least to Seulgi. Maybe it’s how her oversized sweater rests on one side of her shoulder, giving her a peek of Seungwan’s soft milky skin. Or maybe it’s how Seungwan’s chest rises gently, looking up to her with a bright smile on her face.

"Hi.”

Seungwan greets and yet Seulgi couldn’t get herself to say it back. She can only nod as her eyeballs shake from nervousness. . Why is she smiling like nothing’s wrong? As if there wasn’t a problem at all? Or maybe there really is no problem. Maybe Seulgi is the problem with how awkward she is being right now. What should she do? Apologize? Start a conversation? Ask Seungwan how her days had been even though she already knew it was terrible because of her?

Seulgi doesn't say anything and unpacks, glancing a little too much at Seungwan's direction. The latter, looking as calm as ever, starts to shuffle to the bathroom. Like her usual old self, Seungwan doesn't close the door completely and then Seulgi hears the shower running. Seungwan's showering. Such a tease. Such a ing tease, Seulgi thinks. This ing . She wants to dress up and leave before Seungwan finishes but 7 am is too early for her to leave when their class starts at 8. She doesn't want Seungwan thinking she's avoiding her even though that's exactly what she wants to do because suddenly, all of sudden, unsually, she feels very uncomfortable around the latter.

Seungwan comes out with only a towel on like the usual but Seulgi, for some reason, wanted to take a quick glance as if this hasn't happened before. . Maybe it's Seungwan's new hair that looks so ing good on her. This is too much. Seulgi wants to leave the room. She'd rather stay in Precalc than be in their dorm, pretending to play with her phone just to distract herself that Seungwan's towel pools down her feet as she puts on her skirt, then her bra, Seulgi glancing a little bit to see some water remains on Seungwan's back dripping down to her underwear, leaving wet spots, Seungwan oblivious that her room mate is now gawking at her.

Before Seungwan could turn completely, Seulgi hastily looks away and goes back to playing with her phone, coughing to cover up the panic on her face. She stands up and shuffles the same way as Seungwan to the bathroom, locking the door and washing her face.

"What the is your problem?"

She mutters to herself on the mirror.

 

 

Beer. Seulgi wants some beer. Or maybe just any kind of alcohol. Any alcohol enough to knock her lightweight tonight. It's friday, a perfect day to get wasted as Seungwan and Sooyoung would say. But she doesn't know why no one's told her about anything yet. About their usual friday night hangout composed of breaking the rules and waking up to a painful hangover. Suddenly she craves those. Even the terrible pain in her head, she loongs it because she knows she's going to wake around the arms of a familiar warmth.

Even though she is the type of person who prefers going out alone, she does feel lonely. Especially during the past days where she was too bothered to go out on her own. Stucked in her big yet empty room. Too quiet to fall asleep in peace. The loneliness only added up to her thoughts and suddenly she longed for a touch and an affection.

She did get a text from Sooyoung inviting her to this new opened cake shop close by. It was more like a threat because for some reason, it was as if Sooyoung knew she was hesitant to come for whatever reason which Seulgi herself is not so sure of.

Sender: Sooyoung

"If you don't come, you're gonna regret it."

She was able to go but she was late. She didn't notice the time and on a rush, she accidetanlly bumped into who? What's her name again? That one girl who would smoke in the bathroom with Jisoo and their gang? One of the girl who almost killed Joohyun and ed up Seungwan? Right. Jennie. That's her name. She's pretty sure this is Jennie. She didn't want to apologize but the latter looked pitiful. As if she wasn't the Jennie people would talk about. Her confidence and charisma collapsed along with her body on the cold floor. Her stuffs scattered everywhere. A mess, really. She had no choice but to help the poor girl. She stood up, a pile of paper in her hands with a letter from Jisoo ripped in half. Huh? She wonders what happened. Jennie said thank you and she gave the latter a smile before she ran to the cake shop.

S: "Sorry had to deal with things."

Seulgi sits at the end of the table, alone, unlike how Sooyoung's sitting next to Yerim, and Joohyun sitting next to Seungwan. Did it work? Her convincing? Was she able to fix their problems? Seulgi doesn't know but she does know she feels annoyed because she doesn't see the point why she has to be here for a stupid "gathering" if there's no alcohol involved.

S: "What's the point of this anyway?"

Sooyoung raises her brow at her smuggly as if she knows what's the cause of Seulgi's obvious frustration. Seulgi sits there, side eyeing Sooyoung who is poking her sides playfully. Seulgi hisses at the action, eyebrows furrowed, wanting to get the hell out of the cake shop. She'd rather do her homework than be stuck here.

S: "Stop that."

S: "What you jealous or something?"

S: "What for?"

S: "You being the fifth wheel?"

What is that even supposed to mean? And why the hell is Joohyun laughing at her too? Is she being made fun of? But that isn't what is bothering Seulgi. It's how Seungwan is so close to Joohyun, almost clinging. Seungwan would never do that. Cling onto someone in the morning or in the afternoon or whenever except in the sheets when she can't fall asleep. She only clings to her at night. She only hugs her and cuddles with her. She only nuzzles in her neck, engaging her in a tighter hug, wrapping her legs around her slender body. She only does all those with her but right now, something really changed. Perhaps it was the talk that she convinced Joohyun to do. Perhaps there was something that happened that changed Seungwan from the way she cut her hair, to the way she she clings to Joohyun.

She did this, is what Seulgi thinks. She persuaded Joohyun to talk it out with Seungwan as she tried to brush off the fact that maybe Joohyun might not be the lucky girl. Or maybe she is. And now Seulgi doesn't know if she regrets doing all that. Now she's just being selfish and she doesn't even know why she's so frustrated at the moment. Why is Seungwan smiling like that at Joohyun. Like she'd give up everything for her.

S: "Seulgi, snap out of it. You're going to scare Seungwan away with how you're glaring at her."

Sooyoung remarks, smirking as if telling Seulgi she knows why she's starring at her like that. Seulgi looks away, biting the bottom of her lip. This ing .

The waitress comes with five coffees in total. Confused, Seulgi watches the waitress serves Joohyun a cup of coffee. What's going on today? Even Joohyun is changing? Was it the talk with Seungwan? Jesus, even the way Sooyoung looks at Yerim is different. It's way more intense now and she wants to vomit. Yerim isn't even bickering with the tallest girl. How odd is this? The table is supposed to be loud and chaotic but all she can hear is Joohyun and Seungwan giggling like they're inlove in some sort of way and then occasionally, Sooyoung would crack a joke, then everyone starts to laugh except her because she's too focused on a certain person to comprehend what the joke even means.

Joohyun stirs her cup and Seulgi switches her attention to the latter.

S: "You don't like coffee?"

Seulgi asks, confused expression on her face. The question sounded more like "I thought you hated coffee why are you drinking it then?" It sounded bitter. Well to Sooyoung that is. Sooyoung laughs at Seulgi's question nudging Yerim in a joking manner. Seungwan sits there in silence, uneasy.

J: "Seungwan recommended it so I figured why not right?"

Right, Seungwan, she almost forgot how whipped Joohyun is for Seungwan. What a ing joke.

Of course. There's nothing going on between Seungwan and Joohyun. They're just friends and they have become comfortable around each other ever since Seulgi convinces Joohyun to the Son's. They've made their feelings clear which is why Seungwan can cling onto Joohyun without feeling shy now. Surprisingly, Joohyun doesn't feel her heart pounding anymore and she took it as a good sign. It feels better this way, she thought.

But that isn't what Seulgi is seeing. She doesn't know anything afterall and Sooyoung can see the frown plastered on Seulgi's stupid face. Damn this girl really can't hide her expression well especially when she's annoyed. Sooyoung eyes the girl next to her.

S: "Alright!"

Sooyoung claps her hand loud enough for Seulgi to have the frown disappear on her face and be replaced by a surprised one. Thank God.

S: "I have an important announcement to make."

She adds, clasping Yerim's hand under the table.

S: "Or should I say, WE have an announcement to make."

Sooyoung gazes at Yerim. Joohyun and Seungwan anticipating as they fall into silence. Seulgi constantly shifting her attention to Sooyoung and then to Seungwan until she isn't listening anymore.

S: "We're officially dating!"

Everyone starts to clap, Joohyun silently screeching. Everyone looks happy and surprised except Seulgi who is busy scrutinizing Seungwan's big grin and how Seungwan claps her small, soft hands. Cute.

S: "Finally!"

Seungwan exclaims, Seulgi's body jerking a little bit which Sooyoung notices. Seungwan doesn't though because she hasn't been looking at Seulgi's way. She's too busy in keeping her facade and too engaged at the current moment. You're happy. She tries to tell herself that again and again until she starts to believe it.

S: "Right? ing finally. So much went down but hey! It's all worth it. I don't regret anything if it means having Yerim as the love of my life in the end."

Y: "Oh God, please. Why are you being so cheesy all of a sudden?"

S: "I mean it and I love you."

J: "Get a room! We didn't need to s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter