Where it Began

Playing Pretend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"You’re not seriously going there are you?”

What Yerim was talking about was the party 5 blocks away, blasting musics that were supposed to be “chill”. It wasn’t as wild as Seungwan anticipated it to be but at that time she didn’t really care about that and she just wanted to meet new people. She just smiled at Yerim as she slipped her shoes in and headed to the door.

You’re freaking kidding. We just moved here and you’re not even invited.”

It was a statement to persuade her sister to stop being stupid for once. First night in the neighborhood and Seungwan’s already looking for trouble. Yerim really wouldn’t mind if her sister wanders around but the neighborhood was still unfamiliar and people are hard to trust especially if you’re new and still curious. But again with Seungwan’s stupid grin, she excitedly jogged her way outside their house, ignoring her sister’s remarks.

"Wanna come and maybe find a girlfriend?”

Yerim sighed, rolling her eyes, giving up at the latter. She knew at that point there’s no stopping her sister. She pursed her lips, slightly frowning at the older. Seungwan stood still infront of Yerim, eyebrows raised, waiting for a response but Yerim could only sigh once again when Seungwan wriggled her brows.

"You know what? Just go. I don’t care anymore.”

Seungwan shrugged and gave her sister a peck on the cheeks before heading to the said party. Yerim watched her sister hop away with her hands on her pocket.

"I can’t believe you’re older than me.”

She said before closing the door and went back to their shared room. She waited as she watched netflix just incase Seungwan comes home drunk and wasted.

 

 

 

 

Son Seungwan was never a party animal. She wasn’t fond of being around people and she refused to be part of any school assembly or gatherings where she would need to either socialize, which is a pain in the , or isolate herself from everyone and stand in the corner, regretting why she chose to go when she could’ve stayed in her own room. Sometimes she’d go with her sister but she’d end up getting left out because she didn’t have the same circle of friend as Yerim. Yerim on the other hand was social. She wasn’t overly-friendly and chose to keep her group of friends small. Seungwan just couldn't get herself to be friends with them. That’s when she started to think that maybe she have a problem.

It was until Yerim forced her to go to the dance night which she strongly refused to at first but after the endless whining, she gave up and ended up going in her most unappealing satanic shirt and shorts. It was supposed to be a “formal” dance but scratch that, she might’ve ruined it with her outfit. She didn’t care any less. She sticked to Yerim at the beginning but eventually went to the food area when her sister’s friends came. She wanted to find distractions or entertainment if there’s any.

"Nice shirt.”

And that’s basically how her world met Sooyoung’s. To simply put it, she was whipped by the time she met eyes with the latter just like those in the cringey romantic films. And that was the start of her journey of being dragged literally to almost every party while she was way too whipped to refuse a can of beer.

She started to like going to parties whether it be boring or wild because Sooyoung could make it more interesting. The latter was the only reason she’d go anyway and maybe because of that she learned how to communicate and engage in a proper conversation.

"You shouldn’t hang around with her. I heard she goes out on dates with old guys and do it with them.” was what Yerim would always tell her but she would later find out that those were just rumors. While she did hang out with “boys of legal age”, she would talk about girls nonstop and sometimes even way too inappropriate for girls of her age. She would then tell Seungwan she’s too much of a homoual to like . And that obviously didn’t help Seungwan stop liking the girl.

She would later find out that Yerim’s group of friends hated Sooyoung for the most ridiculous reasons. But then again, middle schoolers had nothing to do better in life than to mind others business. She chose to stick close to Soyooung’s presence.

 

 

 

 

The party was a little bit calmer than Seungwan had expected. No one seemed to care when she stepped a foot in inside the garage where everyone was drinking a non-alcoholic beverage as Seungwan read the sign that said “no alcohol” at the entrance. She chuckled, a little bit disappointed but then she remembered she was here to make friends not to get drunk again and interrupt whatever her sister is doing when she gets home. Maybe Seungwan should’ve brought her own beer because it was getting a little boring when all she could pay attention to were the heteroual couples making out by the pool and a bunch of hormonal teenagers trying to get laid tonight. She shrugged and head inside the house and there barely people there for some reason. There were food though. Some pastries in the middle, proteins and carbs at either sides with some carbonated drinks. Foods were barely paid any attention so she grabbed some apple pie and sat in the living room.

No one paid attention to her. No one cared for her presence. The atmosphere was unwelcoming but she stayed hoping to find a pair of bright faces she could approach and introduce herself to. She went on her phone and scrolled through twitter, her everyday rant site with 300 hundred followers of people she doesn’t really know that much of. She giggled at the overused memes and retweeted lyrical quotes. 10 minutes has passed and she decided to do her usual job of ranting typing furiously and adding random emojis to express her frustration and boredom. She got 15 likes in another 10 minutes from people she actually used to know but never talked to. Deciding to turn off her phone, she stepped outside to wander around the house. There was a lot of space. Way too much space for people to be crowding themselves in the garage.

She tried hopping over the fence to check out the backyard. She wasn’t supposed to and she knew it wasn’t allowed but she did it anyways because her curiosity was killing her and besides the part wasn’t that interesting.

It was dark and quiet, and all she could hear was her own footsteps plus the sound of muffled music coming from the front yard. And then all of a sudden, she heard someone else’s footsteps and she started to panic. The darkness didn’t help and she turned around a few times, trying to find the right direction to the way out. She went it and ran wherever she was facing only to realize she was running towards the noise and then she found herself whimpering when she bumped into someone and fell on her . Her heart was racing from nervousness until she felt her hand being held and her body being pulled up. She couldn’t see anyone but she heard the person gasp.

"Son Seungwan?”

She assumed it was a girl who sounded rather excited as if they didn’t bump onto each other just five seconds ago. How could she see her anyway? It was pitch black and her was cold and in pain.

"What?”

Was all Seungwan could say, patting her own and squinting her eyes expecting to see who the girl was.

"You don’t remember me?”

"I can’t see , sorry.”

The girl made on “O” sound and Seungwan felt herself being pulled again. She was pulled inside the house from the back door and she finally see the girl. She only saw her back and her hand being held by the latter. The girl was tall with a long silky black hair and fair skin. She watched the girl excitedly pull her upstairs. No . What the hell is going on was all inside her head. And then she found herself in a bedroom.

The moment the girl turned around, Seungwan felt her heart stop. It felt like back then again. It felt like the first time she met her. In a span of one second her heart stopped and her stomach was filled with butterflies once again. It felt good but at the same time, wrong. She wasn’t supposed to see her again. She thought she has moved on but all it took was one smile and that the same eye ing smile she thought she’d never see again.

"Sooyoung…”

She murmured to herself but audible enough for the younger to hear.

"Yes! Finally! You remember me!”

She exclaimed excitedly and then she felt herself being hugged by the girl of bigger physique. Sooyoung has grown a lot and puberty has only made her better because she looked more beautiful than ever. There it went again, that the same sensation in her heart and stomach. It hasn’t been long since she has felt this.

She moved away from her old town 5 months ago that was probably the last time she has seen Sooyoung. She was head over heels towards the girl and she knew it was unhealthy. She started failing all her class in 7th grade and barely passed in 8th grade during the first semester. Son Seungwan was smart, she was just too occupied with the younger to do her homework or to do any school activities at all.

It wasn’t only that. Park Sooyoung, wasn’t a good kid. She drank beer but she wasn’t alcoholic but she was still underage. She made friends with people of legal age to access beer and she introduced alcohol to Seungwan. Not that Seungwan was totally unaware of what beer was, she just knew she wasn’t supposed to drink it. But since she was so whipped for the girl, she took it and chugged down the beer. Much to the younger’s liking, she would give Seungwan a can or two whenever they’d meet as a “gift”. Sooyoung told Seungwan that she liked seeing the girl turn red from the intoxication. Besides that, it was nothing else but pure teasing and Seungwan’s discovering that she’s a lesbian not biual.

Ironically, Yerim hated Sooyoung’s behavior. She has seen the latter as a bad influence and a delinquent. She would tell her sister to stop hanging out with her but Seungwan would only smile at her and tell her that Sooyoung isn’t that bad.

Seungwan didn’t cry when she knew she was moving away. She did say goodbye to Sooyoung and she knew it was for the best. Sooyoung gave her final beer, as Seungwan said. Or that’s what she thought. After graduating from middle school , they moved away again. They just kept moving and moving until they found this city. Who would’ve known she’d find Sooyoung here. Seungwan thought it was fate.

"You didn’t change at all. You’re basically the same girl I met at the party. Who would’ve known I’d find you at a party again?”  Seungwan found herself grinning stupidly upon hearing Sooyoung’s voice again.

"What are you doing here?”

Sooyoung pursed her lips at the question.

"Am I not supposed to be here?”

"No, I mean, I can’t just believe I’d find you here after me and Yerim moved a lot.”

“Right?” Sooyoung replied, agreeing with the older. “This is my cousin’s party. I barely know people here. I just moved three weeks ago and I still know zero people. Making new friends is hard.” Seungwan could only nod to agree.

"How are you?”

"Fine, I guess?”

Seungwan couldn’t find a decent answer, not when her heart wouldn’t calm down. And them being alone in a room wasn’t helping at all.

Sooyoung smiled at Seungwan, she sure did miss her friend. She didn’t enjoy hanging out with college boys anymore when Seungwan left, she noticed how the rumors about her had gotten ridiculous. She couldn’t deny the fact that she’s still sensitive and she didn’t appreciate people talking about her life so she decided to move out of the school for a better reputation.

"How’s your, sister? That dimwit?”

Although Yerim hated

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter