Choice

Playing Pretend
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sooyoung takes a deep breathe before knocking on Yerim's door. She hates to admit that there's a loud pounding in her chest. Truthfully, Sooyoung doesn't expect Yerim to forgive her but apologizing to her is necessary even though the harsh reality is just hiding behind the door.

Sooyoung tries to hold back her tears when Yerim opens the door, clearly surprised that she hasn't given up yet after apologizing countless times back in the dorm. 

Sheepishly, she asks Yerim if she can come in as she fidgets with her hands, forcing a smile but only turned out to be forced and guilty.

Yerim does let her inside without saying much, leading her to the living room where she sat months ago, waiting for Yerim. She didn't expect that she would sit in the room again with the same lack of light and eerie atmosphere. This time, the room is way too depressing. Cold and pretty much dead silent. Not even a sound to play and block away the growing silence between them.

"Would you like something to drink?"

Sooyoung thinks Yerim is sounding too formal. She shakes her head, smiling as she sits on the same sofa she sat on. Yerim chooses to not listen to her response and heads to the kitchen to prepare coffee for two. It makes Sooyoung think if the girl is ignoring her.

Maybe not. She let her in after all.

Yerim believes she's just being respectful despite the response. Or not. Preparing coffee is for her own selfish needs. So she can use the coffee as an excuse once she starts choking on her own words when talking to the unexpected but expected visitor.

Coming back to the living room, she places the coffees on the table that Sooyoung hesitated to drink because she'd much rather drink hot choco. She sips it anyway. It's her fault for not being straightforward.

Sooyoung is taking longer than expected as she sips on her coffee and so Yerim watches her. The latter starts to examine Sooyoung and she doesn't fail to notice how different Sooyoung looks. Physically, it's expected since she was beaten up but her vibe has changed. She just feels it.

That tough girl, Sooyoung, is gone and this Sooyong looks like a child who is about to confess something and about to be scolded. She looks so scared and Yerim doesn't like this Sooyoung.

Placing down the mug, Sooyoung opens to say her rehearsed apology that she stayed up all night for. Just when she's about to speak, Yerim is quick to cut her off.

"If you're here to apologize, I'm not having any of it."

Sooyoung wonders when she ever learned to whimper. There's a first time for everything, they said, but this isn't the right moment where she should struggle to hold back the ugly sound of her whimpers and her tears.

"But I'm sorry."

Yerim was trying to act mad when she said she's not having it. She tried but she couldn't. In fact, she feels apologetic and upset that Sooyoung seems suddenly so weak. 

"Don't make me pity you." It sound like she does when she says it so softly as she raised her eyebrows with concern. "You know I can't hate you."

Maybe Sooyoung is glad to hear that but when she thinks differently, it saddens her how Yerim is so easy to forgive people and what if she falls to a person who will take advantage of her. She doesn't want to think about it.

"I think if there's anyone who has to apologize, it's me."

"Why would you apologize if I'm obviously the one who ed up?"

She replies, voice cracking.

"Yes Sooyoung, you ed up. I ed up. We all ed up, didn't we? But aren't you tired of me playing so hard to get? Don't you just hate it when you I don't even have the proper response you wish?"

It breaks Sooyoung's heart knowing Yerim is the one apologizing despite the fact she's the one who has done the most damage here. She's right, they all ed up but comparing to how much mess she's done, she doesn't think it's enough for the latter to apologize. It's nothing compared to what she did and this isn't right.

"I'm not. I don't. If I hate it then I should've not been trying so hard to get you. Because I love you. And I'm never gonna get tired of saying it. And if you think that was cheesy, I'm sorry. I'm sorry for what I have done. I'm sorry for hurting you. I-"

"PARK SOOYOUNG."

Sooyoung's apologizing again.

"Don't make me remind of you in that snow. I hate remembering it. Stop apolozing." 

"But I really love you, Yerim."

For some reasons, Yerim doesn't expect herself to blurt things out in this situation. By this situation she means serious situation but then

"I know you do."

The regret on her face starts to show and her face starts turning red at the realization. Sooyoung wipes the tears in her eyes, smiling at the obvious shade painting Yerim's cheeks. 

"You know you're cute when you're shy."

Yerim doesn't say anything and Sooyoung keeps the smile on her face, adoring a rare sight of shy Yerim.

She doesn't know if what she did was enough to fix atleast her relationship with Yerim. But when no one dares to say something back, she decides that it's best to end it here. Yerim telling her those was enough for her and it makes her happy that she had the courage to admit where she messed up. Even though it was scary that she started to whimper and cry so easily which never really happened.

She didn't think it was gonna be this easy. Of course it wasn't easy easy but she was expecting a harsh treatment but for now she's just going to be thankful Yerim is a soft human being who is still blushing. She's thankful she fell inlove with Yerim and she's never gonna get tired of waiting for whatever Yerim's response is going to be.

"Then! I guess I have to go now."

She came there to apologize but Yerim didn't even let her. But it's done. She doesn't really have any reason to stay.

Standing up, she does hope Yerim stops her from leaving and let her stay for a little bit.

Maybe God exists when he listened to her wish because as soon as she approaches the door, Yerim is tugging at the hem of her jacket.

"Stay for a bit, will you?" 

Yerim shyly asks and Sooyoung beams in excitement, smiling with her eyes as she turns around to face a still blushing Yerim.

"I'd be more than glad!"

They sit back in the living room and she gulps down the coffee Yerim has prepared. No reason why. It's the joy she feels.

As much as she wants to stay, the eerie atmosphere is creeping her out. The cold isn't helping neither because the layers she's wearing aren't enough to warm her body.

"Hey can we turn the lights on? And maybe the heater?"

Yerim shakes hear head standing up from her seat and grabs her hands.

"No need. We can go to my and unnie's room. It's much brighter there. And warmer..."

They ascend to the said room and Sooyoung sees one clean bed and one messy bed and excitedly, she hops on the messy bed, bouncing on her knees before lying down comfortably.

"So i guess this is yours huh?"

She half insults and the Yerim just sighs ignoring her and the latter smiles when she sees the pure happiness on Sooyoung's face. 

Yerim misses their peaceful friendship with the other three.

It has always been messy but they make up rather quickly. But things unexpectedly became messier ever since their last hang out with beers and feelings they can't let go of out of the attempt of getting wasted to forget.

Yerim's feelings were messed up too at the constant changing of her interest towards two of the most important person in her life but she decided to let go of one person. It wasn't easy but thinking of their situation now, it would've been harder if she and her sister fell in love with the same person. It wasn't easy but it wasn't very hard. Choosing Sooyoung is not that hard.

She thought the problems toned down but then Jisoo and her gang chose to add up to the already chaotic situation and then their first stage of mess started going out of hand because she's suddenly jealous but she refused to believe so.

Everyone else didn't expect another mess coming up when Seulgi and her sister, Seungwan, started acting weird around each other and Joohyun being clingy to Seulgi all of sudden. Maybe she was slow to not catch any of that but it was a silent mess. It made her and Sooyoung uneasy though because they would notice the sudden change Seungwan's mood.

And then this ing mess they're stuck in right now that's keeping them apart. Now almost everything seems impossible to get everything in control and back to normal.

Yerim feels a hand cup her face she looks at Sooyoung who looks at her worriedly.

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing."

She says and lies down next to her even though she wanted to say that everything's wrong.

Sooyoung turns her head to to her, still smiling brightly as the sun. That's more like her.

"What did you need?"

The latter grins.

She didn't know that Sooyoung's grin is what she needs to help ease her mind.

Honestly, Yerim made her stay because she misses her. A lot. It's still a painful mistake but she's willing to forget everything if it means to have them back like how everything was. Maybe it won't work for the others but atleast it works for her and Sooyoung. Or that's what she hopes.

"I'm alone."

Although, not very blunt, she hopes it's clear to Sooyoung that she just wants her presence for now. And then Sooyoung abruptly sits up looking at her with eyes wide open.

"Hey, Son Yerim! I didn't know you were this bold!"

Yerim grimaces at the implication.

"God no! I didn't mean it like that!"

"Are you disgusted at me? You wouldn't me?"

Sooyoung exaggeratedly reacts.

"I mean...no Sooyoung, I didn't make you s-stay for that."

"You're blushing."

"You're disgusting."

Sooyoung plops back down, giggling at the red hue painting Yerim's cheeks.

"Just kidding. So what's up?"

Yerim sighs gazing at the ceiling with a heavy heart and Sooyoung lies on her side, facing Yerim, her head resting on her hands.

"Like what I said, I am alone. I feel lonely without unnie. She took two days off and she returned back to school this afternoon. I'm just worried at her. I didn't text her because I feel like bothering her. She hasn't texted me yet."

"That's not good. I get you for being this worried. We're a mess. This whole situation is ed up. Even I don't know how to handle it. Luckily I was able to make up with Seulgi."

"How's Seulgi unnie. Unnie was talking about her."

Sooyoung rolls her eyes at the thought. God, Seulgi's pissing her off for being an idiot and sleeping with Joohyun when she said she should talk to her and then being unsure of what she feel afters and not thinking.

"Well, Seulgi is being a . She's still not over Joohyun. I guess or that's just what she wants herself to believe. I talked to her earlier and she sounded like... I don't know. She sounded like she's in denial or refusing something."

Yerim doesn't really understand but she proceeds and makes sure to ask about Joohyun even though there's a hatred in her chest towards the latter.

"And Joohyun...nie?"

She stuttered a bit as it reminds her of that night.

"Joohyun is being Joohyun. I'm trying to understand her intentions. I don't know what's going inside her head, you know?"

"What intentions?"

"Apparently, according to her ex girlfriend and to my speculations, she likes Seungwan. Not like LIKE, more like ually attracted. But then all of a sudden she slept with Seulgi!"

Yerim doesn't know how hurt Seungwan would feel if she hears this but she knows it'

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter