Chapter 9

Falling Comets

Hyunsoo didn’t know how long she had been staring at her phone for, but it must have been long enough for Jungkook to begin feeling irritated that Hyunsoo wasn’t responding to any of this questions.

“Jimin,” whispered Hyunsoo to herself, looking at the contact and trying to remember what he looked like. There were images running through her mind, but it went by so fast, she thought she needed to lay down and focus hard to remember what actually happened last night.

“Hyunsoo,” said Jungkook loudly, startling her this time.

He was sitting cross legged in front of her now. She hadn’t noticed him move at all, since she was so absorbed on remembering her conversation with Jimin. Why of all times did she have to meet someone like Jimin when she was high as and wouldn’t be able to remember anything? Which reminded her…

Hyunsoo put her phone down and looked at Jungkook. “How did I end up here?”

“Firstly, tell me how you know Jimin,” asked Jungkook.

Hyunsoo blinked. “I don’t.”

“Oh, never mind then.” He sighed. “Don’t you already have a boyfriend though? Why so interested in Jimin? You don’t even know him.”

Hyunsoo didn’t know whether it was the reminder of Baekhyun being a cheater, or the fact that Jungkook was prying into her business, but she was suddenly in a bad mood and glared at him.

“That’s none of your business. Besides, I already answered your question, so it’s my turn. How did I end up here?”

“I think you need to phrase your question right, but I’ll answer your intended meaning.” He was using a sarcastic tone, but was wearing an expressionless face. “You smoked too much for too long and ended up passing out.”

“Wait, but then, when did I meet Jimin? I mean, why did I end up here in this sleeping bag?”

“It’s my turn, but I’ll still answer that last bit with a return question. Why on earth would I let you sleep on my bed? Ok, so my actual question is, what happened between you and your boyfriend?” asked Jungkook.

Hyunsoo frowned. She could tell he was enjoying this situation, especially since he was so relaxed, but Hyunsoo wanted to get going already. Only, she wanted answers before she left. “Why do you even care?”

“I love gossip.”

He said this with such a straight face, Hyunsoo wasn’t sure if he was mocking her or being serious. Even if he was being serious, why would he want to interfere between her and Jimin? Hyunsoo was suspecting that Jungkook might have dragged her away because she was already taken, but then that led back to the question of ‘why did he care?’.

Jungkook waited a few seconds for Hyunsoo to start talking, but when she did not, he said, “I saw you crying yesterday. Something happened between you and him, didn’t it?”

“Are you trying to act nice now?” asked Hyunsoo.

He shook his head. “Why should I? I have no reason to be nice, just like I have no reason to be rude. By the way, you need to learn how to cry properly. It was terrible.”

For the first time since he sat down, he showed some emotion on his face. It was a shame, thought Hyunsoo, that the emotion he chose to display was disgust as he talked about Hyunsoo crying. Not forgetting the fact that he said he had no reason to be rude, but there he was, being rude.

Nonetheless he continued, “I simply dislike unhealthy relationships.”

“What,” said Hyunsoo. She clearly didn’t expect that answer to come out of his mouth.

“I’m always honest no matter what, which is something I pride myself with. I dislike, no, despise people who don’t take their relationships seriously.”

“Uh.” Hyunsoo was at a loss of words.

Jungkook, not noticing this, continued. “I don’t have a current girlfriend, and yes, I’m having fun dating different girls at the same time, but they all know about it. I’m not that one dude who hides the truth and sets up some kind of weekly girl chart. That’s just sad.”

After that, there was a moment of silence. And then, as if out of the blue, Hyunsoo told him. She didn’t know what made her do it. She wanted to believe that she told him about Baekhyun cheating, because she wanted to get out of Jungkook’s room fast. Jungkook was listening intently and by the end of it, he was looking down.

“You were getting out of control,” Jungkook started saying. Hyunsoo realised he was finally answering her question now. “This happened after you left Jimin–”

“Uh, you mean when you made me leave Jimin.” Hyunsoo couldn’t help but correct him.

“Yeah well, he was gone then and I was left to deal with you,” he said, looking back at her, “I may not be the greatest person here, but I would never let any vulnerable person, especially people like you who can’t even look after themselves, go out alone at night.”

As Jungkook was speaking, Hyunsoo tried to grasp the fact that just earlier Jungkook had opened up to her with his feelings on a certain matter. It was only brief, but it happened, before he went back to the douche that he was. She didn’t know how she felt about this, but decided to just ignore it instead.

“So, you then made me sleep in your room?” asked Hyunsoo, raising her eyebrows.

“Why, you wanted more than just a sleeping bag? Just be grateful for what you got.”

Hyunsoo stood up. “Whatever, I’m leaving now.” She stopped and thought, before saying, “Wait, how do you know Jimin.”

Jungkook shrugged and replied, “Used to be friends ages ago. Me, Taehyung, Yoongi and Jimin.”

“Used to be?”

He didn’t answer.

It was as Hyunsoo was letting this sink in and opening his bedroom door when Jungkook called her and said, “Wait. Whatever happened here, stays between us. This morning either didn’t happen, or we won’t speak of it again."