Chapter 13

Falling Comets

Jungkook was the first to break the ice cold silence by scoffing at Jimin. “What were you trying to teach Hyunsoo before? How to lose effectively?” He took a step closer to the group.

Jimin frowned and also stepped out. “I clearly remember being the better player in high school. Too bad I can’t teach Hyunsoo all my skills in one go.”

You, the better player? That’s not how I remember it,” said Jungkook, glowering at Jimin now. “Don’t lie.”

“Guys,” interrupted Yoongi, stepping in between Jimin and Jungkook. “You were both top players in our high school, so no point fighting over that. Too bad you didn’t get ranked, otherwise this little talk would have been more interesting. Sadly, it’s not. Let’s just go Jungkook.”

Jungkook and Jimin didn’t break eye contact. Yoongi had to grab Jungkook by the shoulder to try make him move. Hyunsoo could feel from the tension alone that Jungkook and Jimin must have had a difficult past with each other. Something big must have happened for them to turn out this way. Also, the fact that Yoongi had stepped in between them made it seem even more severe. From what Hyunsoo had picked up on so far, Yoongi rarely interfered with anything if he could avoid it.

“Why don’t we take this opportunity and find out who the better player is then?” said Jungkook finally, smiling mockingly now. He was rotating his racket around in his hands. “Doesn’t take a lot to win twice in a row, so I guess you better prepare.”

Jimin curled his hands into fists. His face looked a little angry now, but his voice sounded composed. “I’ll have to decline that offer. I can’t afford to waste time on someone again, someone who never even appreciated the time I already wasted in the past.”

“Jungkook, let’s go,” said Yoongi again, this time with more force in his voice.

Jungkook took one last look at everyone, before turning his back on them and walking away with Yoongi beside him.

It was quiet for a short moment, but then Sohee said, “Let’s continue practicing.”

Jimin nodded and smiled, turning his attention back on Hyunsoo. However, she noticed that his smile wasn’t so genuine anymore. It seemed like he was covering something up with his sad forced smile.

“Are you okay?” she asked, immediately regretting it. It was obvious he wasn’t.

Still, Jimin nodded and said, “Yeah.”

“I hope you don’t mind me asking but,” said Hyunsoo. Jimin was gazing at her, looking so focused, and making Hyunsoo lose the courage to ask the question that she was most curious about. She instead asked, “Who were you meeting at the drug party thing? I mean, it was kind of hosted by Jungkook and his housemates, and I know that… you and…” Hyunsoo didn’t finish her sentence, but Jimin understood.

“I’m friends with Taehyung, and he just wanted me to come for a bit. He’s still been my good friend after all these years, so I hardly say no to him…” Jimin looked off into the distance, but only for a bit before looking at Hyunsoo and saying, “Let’s swap partners now, shall we?”

They moved around quickly, and started playing a short match in their new pairs. Jimin against Sohee, who needed a lot of assistance, and Hoseok against Hyunsoo, who were playing fast without keeping scores and instead talking loud enough just for them to hear each other.

“Did you hear what he said?” asked Hyunsoo, as she received the shuttle from Hoseok.

“Yeah, Sohee heard too. She was so confused and asked me a bunch of questions.”

“And?”

“Well, I can’t ignore her. I answered very briefly and only told her what I’m sure you would have.” Hoseok was jumping side to side hitting back the shuttle, so his voice was shaking already.

“Good,” answered Hyunsoo, still not out of breath, “I’m feeling a little nervous about Jungkook and Jimin’s past relationship, whatever it is. I don’t know why though.”

“You’re not even involved!”

“I just get a heavy kind of feeling when I think about it now. And Jimin looked so sad, like he was trying to cover up how hurt he might be… I hope he feels better…”

“Hyunsoo, you should be worrying about Baekhyun later. Remember? 9pm tonight?” said Hoseok, making Hyunsoo nearly drop her racket.

“Damn it! I nearly forgot all about that!”

“That’s funny, considering he’s your boyfriend and you loved him only less than a week ago. Ever since you found out he cheated, it’s like you lost any feeling towards him. You don’t seem angry, or sad, or anything.”

“I know, I noticed too. I don’t understand it myself, but I think it will come out soon. I can feel the anger and sadness inside me, but I can’t bring myself to express it or show it. It’s as if I’m waiting for the right moment to, explode I guess.”

Hoseok paused before replying. “That doesn’t sound good.”

“I know.”

Hyunsoo missed the last attack from Hoseok, but didn’t care. She stopped moving and looked at her feet to calm her racing heart. Was it the game, or was she now nervous to meet Baekhyun? When Hyunsoo looked up, she noticed Jungkook across from her right away. They locked eyes together for just a few seconds, and then both turned away at the same time, ignoring each other unlike usual, when Jungkook would smirk and Hyunsoo would look annoyed.

 

Soon it was 9pm, and Hyunsoo was in her jeans, hoodie and a jacket waiting for Baekhyun outside the park entrance as she had told him. It was a little chilly, but not enough to bother Hyunsoo. Besides, her mind and body was occupied with other feelings and emotions, which had started to well up.

“Hyunsoo! Hey!”

Hyunsoo turned around and found Baekhyun jogging towards her from the park side.

“Hi,” she said simply, once he had reached her.

He was holding some flowers in his hands. Why? Thought Hyunsoo. She thought she had made it clear that this meet up was not going to be a happy one.

“How have you been?” he asked sweetly, pulling his face into a grin. Apparently, he had forgotten the phone call.

Hyunsoo looked anywhere but at his face. “You’ll find out now.”